Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

euphronius posted:

there are lots of good dragons. the brass, bronze, copper, gold, and sliver dragons all good

those aren't real unlike loongs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Love to play Labyrinths & Loongs 4th Edition

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

Love to play Labyrinths & Loongs 4th Edition

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

wheres the clip where hank hills otherwise extremely racist father immediately understands what country the neighbor is from

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/rapplerdotcom/status/1752912642761736356?t=hthQnBXGellBoWVwbLlbEg&s=19

I've posted quite a bit about how the liberals here have adopted this classist, condescending attitude towards Duterte and Marcos supporters, assuming that they're lower-class and uneducated persons that deserve all the hardship that comes their way, whether as a result of natural disaster or deliberate government policy

This statement is perhaps the most direct yet, and from the second-highest person in the campaign

And yet the overwhelming response is that they refuse to follow along with Pangilinan's request, with some splitting the difference so hard as to claim that "it's not an insult, we're just stating facts"

is there any polling evidence indicating this is actually true or is this like how the democrats assume that all the lower class uneducated voters are in the tank for trump an assertion they have slowly been making a reality through condescending antagonism directly related to this talking point

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

dragon sound so much cooler than loong

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

wheres the clip where hank hills otherwise extremely racist father immediately understands what country the neighbor is from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxI5qQAUWVc

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

is there any polling evidence indicating this is actually true or is this like how the democrats assume that all the lower class uneducated voters are in the tank for trump an assertion they have slowly been making a reality through condescending antagonism directly related to this talking point

Marcos won in 2022 with a flat majority in an FPTP system, and cross-tabs show he won a majority across all classes, so it's not actually true that it's the "unwashed masses" that were in the tank for him when it's just Filipinos in general, including the middle and upper classes.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

hearing on npr today about how navalny died in a penal colony and wondering how exactly the phrase penal colony is defined that literally every american prison isnt also a penal colony

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

So this spy-turn-CCP-tabloid-writer guy got suspended death sentence (basically life sentence) for spying. I look around and he actually admitted he was working for Chinese intelligent back in 2011. So he was a tuned spy,

https://x.com/RobbieBarwick/status/1754373878699442659?s=20

Even just a quick look at his history between his first arrest in 2011 and 2nd arrest in 19 tells alot of stories. I think there was space for double spies or secret vendor to operate in the gray zone (notably Hong Kong and Thailand and in some way Australia) but that HK gray zone is slowly being shut down.

Also writing spy novel is a clever cover for you spy type activities, was Ian Flaming an actual spy or he was just a brother of a spy?

huh i was also hearing today from a source that wasnt npr but might as well be about how pen were being cowards in not standing up for the guy to which my response was this is something they do so reflexively they must know something about him thats not common knowledge and welp here it is lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

I don't want to sound like a douche, now I want to read the novels and try to figure out which parts are author self-insert now.

are any of these novels available in english btw

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Some Guy TT posted:

are any of these novels available in english btw

Its not, but just searching the book name can find the books online just on the first and third link, plus the trilogy is available on taobao to purchase, so they are not banned books at all?

https://www.52shuku.vip/jiakonglishi/hwCR.html

Audiobook is on youtube too

By the way, his indictment document was leaked online and it has a pretty detailed description of how he sold the secret documents through his then girlfriend to Taiwan between 90s to early 00s. And his then girlfriend was some kind of HK massage parlor girl and she was also arrested waiting to be sentenced.

https://www.bannedbook.org/en/bnews/headline/20240212/2000171.html

quote:

Sing Tao Daily" reported that the indictment exposed online stated that from 1994 to 2002, Yang Hengjun instructed his girlfriend Wu Yanyan to mail a "letter of surrender" to the Military Intelligence Bureau of Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense in Hong Kong, and accepted the task of collecting and providing intelligence by Taiwan's Military Intelligence Bureau personnel. , and was given the pseudonym "Jiang Ping" and a dedicated communication address. Yang Hengjun took advantage of the convenience of working at the Hainan Provincial Department of State Security to borrow state secret documents, take photos and copies, make video tapes or store them on computer disks, and communicate with him many times. Officers from Taiwan's Military Intelligence Bureau met in Hong Kong and other places, and handed over video tapes and computer disks containing 40 documents and information, and collected more than 220k US dollars and more than 2.7 million Hong Kong dollars in espionage funds. Later, the National Security Bureau identified 31 of them. Two documents are top-secret state secrets, and nine are confidential-level state secrets.

Oh yeah the massage girl's nickname is "Yin Yin Yammy“.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 10:13 on Feb 17, 2024

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Orange Devil posted:

So let's take that line of reasoning on its face and break it down:

China is finally collapsing. This is good, we are happy because they deserve it. However their collapse is very likely to spread to us.

Soooo why the gently caress are you cheering, exactly? The dumbest, most vindictive motherfuckers I swear.

It's projection and cope.

See, we're collapsing but only because China is too. At least that's what they hope. The idea of "our side" collapsing all on its lonesome due to massive systemic issues and bad management is simply inconveivable.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
New atrocity propaganda just dropped

https://twitter.com/PhilstarNews/status/1758786909332177337?t=0xf1fTEUlKn_MEo2bfoItg&s=19

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ah so the USA is dropping cyanide now. Anything to start a conflict.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/AJEnglish/status/1758804813901344986?s=20

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

tbh chinese dragons do tend to be quite loong, it just makes sense

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
loong dragon is looooong

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
anyway they're right, the indo-euro dragon lineage are huge assholes that gently caress poo poo up all the time and it would be insane to think a chinese dragon acting similarly

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

euphronius posted:

there are lots of good dragons. the brass, bronze, copper, gold, and sliver dragons all good

Metallic dragons good, chromatic dragons bad.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

the US is gonna end up building giant “prison complex” to “temporally house” the “hordes of illegal immigrants” and attempt to find them “work” as they wait indefinitely to be deported “back to where they came from”

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Surely journalism will get mad a every film studio for running McD's promotions the way it got mad at Disney for filming in Xinjiang.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Homeless Friend posted:

anyway they're right, the indo-euro dragon lineage are huge assholes that gently caress poo poo up all the time and it would be insane to think a chinese dragon acting similarly

wow so now you're denying loong agency? typical weibo ...

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i think loong sounds cool :shobon:

e: they're obviously different things, european dragons aren't associated with water, clouds, nobility, etc. it makes sense. i'm not gonna call a penanggalan a "malaysian vampire," lets retire the "chinese dragon" terminology.

Doc Hawkins has issued a correction as of 17:49 on Feb 17, 2024

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
'European dragons' aren't a consistent thing, either. Like, aždaja, zmaj, and ala are all 'dragons' of some sort, but only zmaj is something fully resembling a stereotypical dragon.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

what about the music of imagine dragons

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

my dad posted:

'European dragons' aren't a consistent thing, either. Like, aždaja, zmaj, and ala are all 'dragons' of some sort, but only zmaj is something fully resembling a stereotypical dragon.

good point, lets fuckin go for it, use all the names. bring all the lizards in for one big party. call me dragonmaster anthony.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

the classical european dragon: a giant who killed his brother for a ring and then slept on it so long he grew scales

e: im learning a lot today

quote:

Some of the common motifs concerning Slavic dragons include their identification as masters of weather or water source; that they start life as snakes; and that both the male and female can be romantically involved with humans.

Doc Hawkins has issued a correction as of 18:10 on Feb 17, 2024

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Yeah, I was being generous with 'fully resembling a stereotypical dragon'

There's also stuff like legends of zmaj children who could turn into a zmaj in their dreams, and battle alas (e: or aždajas, I guess, they tend to get smudged together sometimes) to end the storms they bring.

e: Also, in "Saint George Slaying the Dragon", the dragon isn't a 'zmaj' but an 'aždaja' - a equivalent word that will stand out to people who know Persian mythology (or play Dominions) as an Azi.

my dad has issued a correction as of 18:41 on Feb 17, 2024

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

you can't really govern the translation of a word very easily, especially a word that isn't a proper noun with like, legal rights

also, no one is saying or printing joueur-animateur en direct rather than streamer unless they're literally being forced to

Doc Hawkins posted:

the classical european dragon: a giant who killed his brother for a ring and then slept on it so long he grew scales

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiZ8ToNmT2s

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
This reminded me of a a fun tidbit that I like to point out to people to give them a sense of scale - I'm roughly equidistant from Dublin and Tabriz. I'm reasonably close to the SE edge of Europe, Dublin reasonably close to being in the NW edge of Europe, and Tabriz is just scratching your way a little bit into Asia.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Surely journalism will get mad a every film studio for running McD's promotions the way it got mad at Disney for filming in Xinjiang.

McDonald's!

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
i'm just mad because "loong" aint even pinyin i mean cmon

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

eSports Chaebol posted:

looöñg

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Let chinese dragons be the only dragons and change western dragons to worms/wyrms.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Homeless Friend posted:

loong dragon is looooong

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Ziggurats & Zmajs

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Dragon works fine for any fake snake, but 'phoenix' is just mental.

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

mossyfisk posted:

Dragon works fine for any fake snake, but 'phoenix' is just mental.

Yeah, feng is crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

eSports Chaebol posted:

Well pinyin is just Long, so Long Loong.