Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

Edit: Envy is supposedly an ocean (and might be the only one made of water in hell?)

Do we have any descriptions for Wrath or Sloth out of curiosity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Larryb posted:

Do we have any descriptions for Wrath or Sloth out of curiosity?

We've seen both. Wrath is where Millie (and imps in general?) are from. It's like wild west country. Sloth is where the hospitals seem to be located, and presumably the goat demons are from there. It's main color is pink and has a very cloudy dream like look to it. The ring we haven't seen yet is Envy

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

We've seen both. Wrath is where Millie (and imps in general?) are from. It's like wild west country. Sloth is where the hospitals seem to be located, and presumably the goat demons are from there. It's main color is pink and has a very cloudy dream like look to it. The ring we haven't seen yet is Envy

Ah that’s right, we just haven’t seen their respective masters yet

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

again, I treat the Cannibals as the natural inhabitants of the Pride Ring instead of sinners, and the Exorcists just "make mistakes confusing them for sinners".

Probably not the authorial intent but it's what I'm going with.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Makes me wonder if Sinners can theoretically have kids in Hell (Lucifer and Lilith did at least but they’re probably a special case) or just the hellborn

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 14, 2024

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Sinners can adopt but they can not have kids.

Lilith and Lucifer might have gotten lucky having Charlie themselves, but who knows what the rules for a fallen angel and human/demon is.

Speaking of, I wonder how old Emily is.

You been behaving in Heaven Lilith?

Or might leaving needing something to do with hiding a surprise.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I'd sooner suspect Seraph as Emily's mother with a mortal "Winner" partner rather than Lilith being involved. Further putting parallel between Charlie and Lucifer's relationship compared to Emily and Sera.

Sera definitely comes across as "mother knows best" in episode 6, either that or Big Sister but I think the parental mirror with Charlie/Lucifer in Hell makes more narrative sense?

Particularly with some of the "Heaven is hypocritical at times" energy if Seraph has herself been passionately "sinful" once upon a time.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 14, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I’m hoping they expand on Sera and Emily’s relationship as well (IE: Are they family or is it just a master/apprentice kind of deal, I could believe either honestly)

Either way they’re almost definitely going to play a bigger role in the events of the next season

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 14, 2024

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Larryb posted:

Yeah, I’m hoping they expand on Sera and Emily’s relationship as well (IE: Are they family or is it just a master/apprentice kind of deal, I could believe either honestly)

Considering Lucifer is implied to have been a Seraphim, and does not look like Emily and Sera do. I'm gonna say that there is definitely some sort of direct familial connection going on. Even if they were "created" as sisters.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I assume “heavenborn” are a thing what with the Seraphim and all. But yeah, Sera being a massive hypocrite wouldn’t surprise me in the least (she already burned a lot of bridges with Emily at the meeting alone)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

I assume “heavenborn” are a thing what with the Seraphim and all. But yeah, Sera being a massive hypocrite wouldn’t surprise me in the least (she already burned a lot of bridges with Emily at the meeting alone)

"Do what was required" isn't a winning sentence at all.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m sort of surprised we didn’t get any immediate follow up to that honestly (I was expecting Emily to help Charlie out against the Exorcists in some form) but I assume we will next season

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still get the feeling that the rings of Hell are loosely continent sized, and seem to have a fair amount of geographical variety within them, but a general dominating climate and some signature weird features, like Lust being always night. Wrath we've seen a lot of and is very rural and Wild West, with imps based on both the American South and Mexico. Also has some trippy volcanic landscapes (hey, volcanic soil is fertile as gently caress) and obligatory abandoned mines. And as mentioned a lot, Envy seems to be oceanic, though what we see of Greed has some (polluted af) sea as well.

I think there aren't any Sinner children, who knows what goes on there but pretty standard religious judgement considers children innocent as they're unable to make meaningful moral judgements on their own yet, but there are certain Sinners, like Niffty, who take on childish appearances and mannerisms and can be mistaken for them, like the one Vaggie hesitated with.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I had originally assumed the one Vaggie spared was a demon child but then i remember the Exorcists had a deal with Lucifer not to harm the hellborn so you’re probably right (though knowing Adam I wouldn’t be surprised if there were a few “accidents” here and there)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still get the feeling that the rings of Hell are loosely continent sized, and seem to have a fair amount of geographical variety within them, but a general dominating climate and some signature weird features, like Lust being always night. Wrath we've seen a lot of and is very rural and Wild West, with imps based on both the American South and Mexico. Also has some trippy volcanic landscapes (hey, volcanic soil is fertile as gently caress) and obligatory abandoned mines. And as mentioned a lot, Envy seems to be oceanic, though what we see of Greed has some (polluted af) sea as well.

I think there aren't any Sinner children, who knows what goes on there but pretty standard religious judgement considers children innocent as they're unable to make meaningful moral judgements on their own yet, but there are certain Sinners, like Niffty, who take on childish appearances and mannerisms and can be mistaken for them, like the one Vaggie hesitated with.

Honestly couldn't tell you what's going on with the cannibal town kids. Like I agree if they're kids who ate human flesh that's a lovely reason to be there but that's kinda the point?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Flopsy posted:

Honestly couldn't tell you what's going on with the cannibal town kids. Like I agree if they're kids who ate human flesh that's a lovely reason to be there but that's kinda the point?
As a subject matter expert put it, "Hell is forever and it's meant to suck a lot"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nessus posted:

As a subject matter expert put it, "Hell is forever and it's meant to suck a lot"

I think it’s gonna turn out that when Princess Celestia god made the winner sinner system, it’s gonna be some weird coin flip at birth deal. It’s basically just predestination but apathetic instead of angry. Maybe actions determine what kind of monster you end up being. So some donner party kid ends up being Jack skellington living in main street USA.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 15, 2024

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The going assumption seems to be that Lilith cut some kind of shady deal to wind up in Heaven, but I can't help but notice she doesn't have her horns any more. Has she been redeemed?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Madurai posted:

The going assumption seems to be that Lilith cut some kind of shady deal to wind up in Heaven, but I can't help but notice she doesn't have her horns any more. Has she been redeemed?

Has that been confirmed? Last we saw her her head was covered by a big hat

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
She can change the size of her horns.

It's like how Charlie and Lucifer can change their appearances, though those cases are usually out of anger.

As we've seen they can change things around them as well to various degree.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wouldn't be surprised if she wore her horns big as Queen of Hell to look more commanding, then tones them down in Heaven to blend in.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
So, while we certainly won't get any major characters crossing over between this and Helluva, but it'd be cool if someone like Ms. Mayberry popped up in the hotel even without lines.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We did see some Imps and Hellhounds in a few crowd shots and as has been mentioned I wouldn’t be surprised if Lucifer and the Sins pop up in both shows.

Not sure how much legal freedom they have to do crossovers between the two otherwise even though they have the same creator and a few VAs in common but some small cameos here and there would probably be ok

Though unless Amazon cancels the show I believe Hazbin will outlast Helluva overall so maybe there might be more crossover potential after the latter is finished

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 16, 2024

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe one of the biggest surprises for me in watching fully through HB now is that just about all the central cast of characters are perfectly good people, relatable, empathizable, admirable in their own way. This isn't a show about awful people like Arrested Development or Venture Bros, it's a show about some nice normal folks who just happen to work as murderers in hell. Only a few of the characters who show up on the fringes are reprehensible fucks, and they're usually reprehensible in a highly "real" way—Mammon being a manipulative, abusive talent leech, Moxxie's dad being a homophobic power-hungry tyrant, Stolas' wife being vindictive and bitter—are all ways people are terrible in real life. This isn't fantasy in any way.

(And relationships like M&M and Asmodeus/Fizzy are just wholesome as gently caress)

Blitzo is complicated in that he is pretty terrible (the date at Ozzie's was one of the most low-key excruciating things I've ever seen) but he has excuses for most of it. I started the show thinking it would center on him and wallow in his terribleness for lols like Master Shake, but no—this is set up as a redemption story for him as he slowly makes amends with all the people in his world who have forced him (or "forced', through happenstance and misunderstanding) to become this cynical.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 16, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That’s one of the things I love about both shows, despite the crass humor, excessive swearing at times, and the fact it stars literal hellspawn most of the characters are complex people with their own emotional arcs (also the fact that if you ignore the above points it’s basically a Disney musical, even moreso with Hazbin)

I gotta say though, considering my only prior experience with him was kids shows from my childhood hearing Richard Horvitz swear is kind of a surreal experience at first

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 16, 2024

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
A crossover I was absolutely not expecting :stwoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icqnuKwh_Zo

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Last Call posted:

She can change the size of her horns.

It's like how Charlie and Lucifer can change their appearances, though those cases are usually out of anger.

As we've seen they can change things around them as well to various degree.

yeah. i think alot of high up highborn have a couple different forms and poo poo, vivs hell is sorta 40k warpy where alot of characters have mutiple aspects and forms and poo poo. hell seems to be legit made of soul enegery and the dead who die get kinda absorbed into the enviroment.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Larryb posted:

We did see some Imps and Hellhounds in a few crowd shots and as has been mentioned I wouldn’t be surprised if Lucifer and the Sins pop up in both shows.

Not sure how much legal freedom they have to do crossovers between the two otherwise even though they have the same creator and a few VAs in common but some small cameos here and there would probably be ok

Though unless Amazon cancels the show I believe Hazbin will outlast Helluva overall so maybe there might be more crossover potential after the latter is finished

yeah the show soundtrack was number 1 on billboards for a bit. its gonna be their new Boys and i wouldnt be shocked if they ask her to make another side series about it.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Larryb posted:

There's almost zero chance of it getting cancelled outside of creative disagreements or some nutty American Taliban types somehow putting enough pressure upon Amazon. The show was no 1 in numerous countries, it's constantly popping up in Amazon Prime listings with new Hazbin Hotel related vids. And if you check said channel on youtube look at the view count of Hazbin Hotel stuff and then everything else. The view counts tell the tale. Whoever made the deal to get this to happen is getting promoted.

Happy Landfill posted:

A crossover I was absolutely not expecting :stwoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icqnuKwh_Zo

That's not the Helluva Boss Vs Murder Drones cross over:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-5gpW4sgHE

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Last Call posted:

There's almost zero chance of it getting cancelled outside of creative disagreements or some nutty American Taliban types somehow putting enough pressure upon Amazon. The show was no 1 in numerous countries, it's constantly popping up in Amazon Prime listings with new Hazbin Hotel related vids. And if you check said channel on youtube look at the view count of Hazbin Hotel stuff and then everything else. The view counts tell the tale. Whoever made the deal to get this to happen is getting promoted.

That's not the Helluva Boss Vs Murder Drones cross over:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-5gpW4sgHE

yeah and i called that. its partly why barbie and mario and fnaf made loving tons of money. 1. built in fanbase and 2. something genuinly different. its not just idk whatever gently caress those brickleberry shows are. its an actual musical and its mostly funny and has good messages. its edgy but not really mean. etc. its why smiling friends is loved too. Amazon just found a series they will milk as long as possible and almost certainly order a spin off of.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True, in spite of the bizarre reactions by some people (even by internet standards) Viv has essentially handed Amazon a golden goose here (which will hopefully be rewarded with longer seasons going forward). The show’s future seems pretty secure in retrospect

In other news, if this article is to be believed a couple tidbits about the next episode of HB have come out recently:

https://thedirect.com/article/helluva-boss-season-2-episode-8-release-story

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 17, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That's probably the right kind of fraught metaphor given no one at this point trusts a major corporation not to gently caress up a sure thing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

See also: Pantheon, another genuinely good show that got hosed over hard and has basically disappeared legally in the US (its final season wasn’t even AIRED here)

There’s other shows (including some more well known ones) that just suddenly vanished from Amazon as well. As it stands the show’s in a good place right now but as mentioned, never underestimate a corporation’s ability to screw up a surefire hit

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 17, 2024

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I need to ask you guys some questions about my fanfic:

1) since I’m AUing it up in the first place and it doesn’t seem to be plot essential whatsoever or even stated in any of the shows, I’m thinking of dropping the idea that sinners can’t reproduce. What do you think?
2) Related to that, what’s more interesting, my aforementioned idea that the Cannibals are the Hellborn native to the Pride Ring, or the reason they have child cannibals being that they were born there?
3) what’s more interesting, but also related to my first question: that Charlie and my version of Helsa were once friends and grew up together, or that Helsa was originally Charlie’s babysitter who became Charlie’s rival once the latter reached adulthood and they both realized they hated each other?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's probably the right kind of fraught metaphor given no one at this point trusts a major corporation not to gently caress up a sure thing.

Agreed but Amazon tends to be less chop happy the hbo or Netflix is. I feel like Amazon has probably been looking for another big series like the boys and hazbin may probably be that. If not they have a24 to find a new place

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, while the Fizz arc was good and provided Blitz with some decent development soon I hope we can get back to the rest of IMP when the show returns (I don’t think Loona even got any lines during her last appearance)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

On another note, while the Fizz arc was good and provided Blitz with some decent development soon I hope we can get back to the rest of IMP when the show returns (I don’t think Loona even got any lines during her last appearance)

Pretty sure next episode is a break up between Stolas and Blitzo and then followed by more I.M.P centric episodes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Larryb posted:

That’s one of the things I love about both shows, despite the crass humor, excessive swearing at times, and the fact it stars literal hellspawn most of the characters are complex people with their own emotional arcs (also the fact that if you ignore the above points it’s basically a Disney musical, even moreso with Hazbin)

I gotta say though, considering my only prior experience with him was kids shows from my childhood hearing Richard Horvitz swear is kind of a surreal experience at first

Lol so after three episodes of HH I was all set to post a followup to this about how it seems like it's not really the same kind of show at all, or to a much lesser degree, than HB — way less of the character deep-dives, way more high-concept, way more characters who just seem like one-dimensional ciphers and way less effort spent on figuring out who and what they are. It seems like it's more interested in the overarching Good Place type story than in exploring why people like Alastor or Vaggie or Angel or Husk are the way they are, and certainly nobody turning to the camera to narrate exactly what each character's personality is all about in one reductive sentence.

... Anyway then I just now saw episode 4 and :lmao: okay you got me

Still though, and I realize there's still plenty more for me to watch so I'm probably jumping the gun a lot still, but — it seems like the feel of HH is pretty different from HB. Even now that we've gone through the backstories of Angel and Husk it still feels like a seedier, more hopeless kind of world than HB. I haven't seen anything like the kind of aching transcendent beauty that you get from something like one of Stolas' songs. If there's something that these shows have in common it's that they give you a facile perfunctory first impression of each character—like Stolas as some rich kinky twat who uses people he considers inferior and tosses them away when they bore him—and then you are given more of them and realize that your first impression was only what someone else (i.e. Blitzo) sees and refuses to understand more. Or assuming Fizzarolli is going to be some kind of devilish sinister ringmaster clown like in The Amazing Digital Circus (wtf happened with that? My niece was obsessed with it for a total of 15 minutes I think) and then turning out to be ... whoa. THAT. :kimchi: So I appreciate them doing exactly that same kind of narrative maneuver with Angel, but it's still pretty brutal and not the same kind of experience at all.

Also I'm not sure but it seems like the writing is not quite as claw-sharp in HH as in HB? Maybe not as gnat-footed and mile-a-minute? I wonder if there was a lot of smoothing-out of the production when they were given a full A24 budget and seasoned staffers to file down the rough edges.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh it is (though maybe not to the same extent as HB so far), just keep watching

Also HB was co-written by Viv and Blitzo’s VA Brandon Rogers while Hazbin is just the former and probably some new writers so that might explain the disconnect a bit

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
DPS musta seen something he liked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ustJ1c5TD0