Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
On a scale of one to ten, how excited are you for Jack Hermansson vs Joe Pyfer?
This poll is closed.
I have mixed feelings about the dilution of the roster but I like up-and-coming fighters 1 3.23%
Remember when Jack Hermansson heel hooked Kelvin Gastelum! That was cool! Oh my god that was four years ago 10 32.26%
The Apex is the nadir of martial arts and we never truly left its darkened clutches 6 19.35%
Is Joe Pyfer, like, a thing 6 19.35%
3 8 25.81%
Total: 31 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Merab and Volk should do a sketch comedy show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/1758316191683166343

MMA is good again

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
ONE Friday Night Fights on Prime starting

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Because this weekend's card is being held in California Manouk Akopyan was able to file a request for the rare actual, legitimate minimum payouts on the card with the commission, and from greatest to least:

quote:

• Alexander Volkanovki - $750,000
  • Ilia Topuria - $350,000
  • Robert Whittaker - $300,000
  • Paulo Costa - $250,000
  • Mackenzie Dern - $200,000
  • Henry Cejudo - $150,000
  • Geoff Neal - $108,000
  • Merab Dvalishvili - $105,000
  • Marcos Rogerio de Lima - $100,000
  • Amanda Lemos - $80,000
  • Roman Kopylove - $80,000
  • Miranda Maverick - $75,000
  • Andrea Lee - $70,000
  • Anthony Hernandez - $66,000
  • Ian Machado Garry - $55,000
  • Junior Tafa (that's Pascall Saumani) - $23,000
  • Rinya Nakamura - $23,000
  • Val Woodburn - $15,000
  • Carlos Vera - $12,000
  • Josh Quinlan - $12,000
  • Danny Barlow - $10,000
  • Brendson Ribeiro - $10,000
  • Zhang Minyang - $10,000
  • Oban Elliott - $10,000
I may have mixed feelings on Mackenzie Dern, but whoever her manager is, they're the best in the business.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
gently caress me, if volk is getting 750 now as part of the deal for taking the short notice fight against makhachev, what was he getting before

coathat
May 21, 2007

Saemapetch showing you how you get revenge

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just a reminder, 4oz MT is the best combat sport

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
This main event is delivering

coathat
May 21, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

Just a reminder, 4oz MT is the best combat sport

He's right

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

CarlCX posted:

Because this weekend's card is being held in California Manouk Akopyan was able to file a request for the rare actual, legitimate minimum payouts on the card with the commission, and from greatest to least:

I may have mixed feelings on Mackenzie Dern, but whoever her manager is, they're the best in the business.

I checked everyone and see if they fought in Cali before

Alexander Volkanovski: $125,000 ($60,000 win bonus) 12/29/18
Paulo Costa: $120,000 (includes $60,000 win bonus) 8/17/19
Merab Dvalishvili: $10,000 12/9/17
Henry Cejudo: $100,000 (no win bonus) defeated Demetrious Johnson 8/4/18
Josh Quinlan: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) 8/13/22

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I read this

CarlCX posted:

This closes the Tafa Circle. Junior was supposed to fight Austen Lane and Justin had to do it in his stead, now the debt is repaid.

as

CarlCX posted:

This closes the Tafa Circle. Junior was supposed to fight Jane Austen and Justin had to do it in his stead, now the debt is repaid.

and was momentarily quite nonplussed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Volk’s work keeps on giving

:vince:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Man, remember when Paulo Costa was active? funny dude.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
I didn’t realize Costa had such a combover.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Super Deuce posted:

Tbh, it’s been stable/workable for a long time. I thought he’d have had to give up a while ago.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Super Deuce posted:

Side effect of all that secret juice.

A Passing Feeling
Mar 18, 2009

I will always have a soft spot for Ilia Topuria after he stopped Ryan Hall from doing his ridiculous rolling poo poo, but would like Volkanovski to keep winning just a little more.

Topuria is very talented and absolutely has the ability to win if things go right for him, but I'm not really buying the superstar potential being pushed on him.

"Topuria has already positioned himself to be a global star with his cool confidence and high-class presentation" is an unironic line that I just read about him and I thought... this guy? The one getting booed at the press conference? The one doing his best Conor McGregor from Wish impersonation? The one who looked like a scolded child after trying to take Volkanovski's belt to the raucous support of two (2) people in the crowd?

anyway here's ''ilia topuria exterminates jiu jitsu nerd''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2vtreLrZ_Y

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Willingly giving up position in a low-rules environment is the Crying Indigenous Guy meme but with Helio Gracie.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

A Passing Feeling posted:

anyway here's ''ilia topuria exterminates jiu jitsu nerd''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2vtreLrZ_Y

Katamari Damacy cosplay

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

the rogan commentary there is high grade nonsense

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

let he who has not refused to stand up from a butt scoot cast the first stone at hall...

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

*only nick serra remains seated, holding a basket of stones*

oh, so that's how it is?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

A Passing Feeling posted:

Topuria is very talented and absolutely has the ability to win if things go right for him, but I'm not really buying the superstar potential being pushed on him.

"Topuria has already positioned himself to be a global star with his cool confidence and high-class presentation" is an unironic line that I just read about him and I thought... this guy?

It’s working for Sean O’Malley.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Topuria is apparently very popular in Spain. He gets a title and yeah he could be a pretty big international star. That's of course relative because it's not like UFC has stars anymore.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

It’s working for Sean O’Malley.

Yeah Topuria just needs to get some clown drip and shotgun bong hits with his toddler no cap fr fr fam

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Put the GDT up a little early 'cause I have to run pre-fight errands.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4054544

Prelims got moved up to 3:30/6:30, so show starts in an hour.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Pereira v Hill announced for 300 apparently

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

According to Dana they had three separate offers on the table for Leon Edwards, he accepted all three of them, and none worked out.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CarlCX posted:

According to Dana they had three separate offers on the table for Leon Edwards, he accepted all three of them, and none worked out.

best promoter in the business, baby.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

It also appears none of the three people the UFC offered a shot against Leon Edwards were Belal Muhammad. God bless the endless attempts to destroy the welterweight division.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A bit of an indictment of 2024 UFC that Jamahal Hill headlines the big hallmark event.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
topuria good. 'fuckin' anthony hernandez the best.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Foul Fowl posted:

topuria good. 'fuckin' anthony hernandez the best.

This is Bobby knuckles erasure and I won't stand for it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I was really surprised at how Topuria just outclassed Volk from the get go. I've never really seen that. This was the first fight I've seen of Topuria's. I haven't watched fights in a while.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

cagliostr0 posted:

This is Bobby knuckles erasure and I won't stand for it

i like whittaker a lot but i'm not really that invested in his career anymore. he already won the belt and defended it. destroyed a bunch of middleweights on the way up. he's the only guy to fight romero toe to toe for ten rounds as a former welterweight and come out of it a winner. etc. and so forth. with him it's just house money at this point, he's already made it.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

CarlCX posted:

It also appears none of the three people the UFC offered a shot against Leon Edwards were Belal Muhammad.

If true, lol and lmao.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

CarlCX posted:

It also appears none of the three people the UFC offered a shot against Leon Edwards were Belal Muhammad. God bless the endless attempts to destroy the welterweight division.

I wonder if he just made it known he won't fight, like Khamzat , cause Ramadan. Still crazy it wasn't even offered but given how they treat him not too crazy.

So which 3 fighters they offer? I just assumed it was Belal, Khamzat and Shavkat. I don't know if Shavkat is a Muslim but he had an injury last fight to recover from.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was really surprised at how Topuria just outclassed Volk from the get go. I've never really seen that. This was the first fight I've seen of Topuria's. I haven't watched fights in a while.

I dunno, Volk was doing a good job in the first round. Topuria was swinging the bigger hammers, but Volk had already put in good work chipping at his leg and busting up his nose. It was by far the most patient Topuria's been in his UFC tenure, though, and it worked out gangbusters for him.

Digital Jedi posted:

I wonder if he just made it known he won't fight, like Khamzat , cause Ramadan. Still crazy it wasn't even offered but given how they treat him not too crazy.

So which 3 fighters they offer? I just assumed it was Belal, Khamzat and Shavkat. I don't know if Shavkat is a Muslim but he had an injury last fight to recover from.

Belal was agitating for the fight on twitter, so he's at least acting like he'd have been up for it had they asked him.

I'd bet Khamzat, Shavkat, and a 185 non-title fight with Strickland, personally.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm sure Joe has little say in production, but this felt like the highest profile of him walking back on "i'm not going to interview anyone who just got knocked out"

Josuke Higashikata posted:

A bit of an indictment of 2024 UFC that Jamahal Hill headlines the big hallmark event.

Put Zhang x Yan over that, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

I'm sure Joe has little say in production, but this felt like the highest profile of him walking back on "i'm not going to interview anyone who just got knocked out"

At this point I'm certain he's interviewed more KO'd fighters that just woke up inside the octagon after he made that statement than before he said it