Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Helluva Boss clearly has been given much more time to breath than Hazbin Hotel but that's a large part of where they are being aired and uncertainties involved where one would end up. Helluva Boss being on youtube means they can take their time, have an overall plan and set things up without rushing, as long as they can manage to afford it and keep it going the show will conclude as intended. Things can take time to breath, play out, build up and expand on things.

Hazbin Hotel on the other hand has been intended to be partnered with someone, the who was the unknown factor and where it would end up no one knew. Who saw it being aired on Amazon of all things? I never saw anyone even mention that as a possibility, it wasn’t a thought in peoples minds until the announcement was made. I was expecting it might eventually air on some channel I probably didn't get in God knows what country with most of the fan base having to find it however they could.

Not knowing if there was going to be more than a single season clearly played into the rushed nature of the show. If you see one common criticism of the show from the faithful that the pacing was way off. Nothing had a chance to breath. The first four episodes took place in what, a month? Then at episode six we find out they suddenly had a month left leaving only two episodes to finish everything.

Viv only found out the show was getting a second season mid way through production of the first. There was a decent chance what we got was all we would ever get until that happened. It’s why so many things get resolved, the hotel got destroyed and replaced, things like that give it away. We got to see redemption was possibly, Charlie was in a much better place with full support of everyone, it was finished in a way that it worked as an ending.

Seeing how it’s proven to be a massive hit by every single metric hopefully now they can proceed more slowly and take their time being more certain another season is likely to happen than not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Got JT Music guesting on it, too. He wasn't playing on this track. DPS always understands the assignment

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Larryb posted:

On another note, while the Fizz arc was good and provided Blitz with some decent development soon I hope we can get back to the rest of IMP when the show returns (I don’t think Loona even got any lines during her last appearance)

Loona hasn't talked for the entirety of season 2 thus far because her VA was going through some stuff the past few years I'm pretty sure (her boyfriend/fiance died.)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Loona hasn't talked for the entirety of season 2 thus far because her VA was going through some stuff the past few years I'm pretty sure (her boyfriend/fiance died.)

Ah, wasn’t aware but that makes sense. Is she doing any better nowadays though?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Ah, wasn’t aware but that makes sense. Is she doing any better nowadays though?

I believe so but she also got bullied off twitter in addition to that because people are loving horrible.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flopsy posted:

I believe so but she also got bullied off twitter in addition to that because people are loving horrible.

poo poo, I came into this fandom late so I must have missed it. That sucks, hope she’s wiling to come back to the show again in spite of all that

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Of course they would

Furry: the cradle of the best and of the worst

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm fairly sure her lack of VA this season is just a coincidence, unrelated to the tragedy in her life. The episodes just haven't really had much of her as a character outside of the hospital episode and I think it was just a stylistic choice for her not to talk in that episode.

She's said on Twitter that there's more Loona in the future

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I'm fairly sure her lack of VA this season is just a coincidence, unrelated to the tragedy in her life. The episodes just haven't really had much of her as a character outside of the hospital episode and I think it was just a stylistic choice for her not to talk in that episode.

She's said on Twitter that there's more Loona in the future

She did make a few dog noises in that episode but I assume it wasn’t Erica doing them then (who as it turns out has actually been in a shitload of stuff I’m familiar with and is probably the most prolific actor in the main cast besides Horvitz)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OK, so—done with HH now, and I have to say the middle of the season was the strongest bit. The ending did feel rushed, though they did bring all the threads together—if barely. Not sure the "radio vs TV" thing went anywhere it seemed like it was planning to, and I'm still not real sure what Alastor's deal is even though they tried addressing it in exactly those words no less. Plus Angel feels like he got too little attention following the Ep.4 high. Seemed like the season needed maybe like 4 more episodes to really give everything the space it needed.

Ultimately it's good poo poo, but HB is what has some kind of i-don't-know-what that will make me want to go back and watch it all again soon. And hopefully what's still to come of S2 will keep its crazy we-do-what-we-want momentum going.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
The season easily needed twice as many episodes.

That or the scale needed to be dialed back, they shoved a lot into eight episodes.

I bet most people who only watched still have no idea what or who Razzle and Dazzle were. Or where they kinda came from. Bodyguards, okay, sure. But they showed up what, three times? Things like that stuck out.

The online fanbase really pulled a lot of the weight doing the explainations.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I've done no online searching or interacting with fans for explanations, and have not followed anything related to this creator before. Who gives a poo poo about Razzle and Dazzle? They're minor or background presences like pets, when Lucifer shows up he asks if they've been taking care of his daughter, and they turn into dragons in the final fight. It gives you everything you need to watch, follow, and appreciate it, and a big backstory episode for Razzle and Dazzle wasn't necessary... but having more to do with them wouldn't necessarily have hurt, and that's representative of the whole show to me. They did all the things they had to do, but there's a lot more that could have been done. Any complaints I might have aren't really about them doing something wrong or poorly, but that it could have been done better. I think that speaks pretty well of it.

Solid 7/10, looking forward to the second season.

I guess the one complaint I do have is the first episode having its storybook sequence where it tells the viewer the plot, then proceeds to show us all the information contained in it in more interesting and entertaining ways, making that intro unnecessary and redundant. Wasted a few minutes there.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ironslave posted:

I've done no online searching or interacting with fans for explanations, and have not followed anything related to this creator before. Who gives a poo poo about Razzle and Dazzle?

how dare you

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"power bottom at rock bottom" top tier loving lyrics lmao

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Ironslave posted:

I've done no online searching or interacting with fans for explanations, and have not followed anything related to this creator before. Who gives a poo poo about Razzle and Dazzle? They're minor or background presences like pets, when Lucifer shows up he asks if they've been taking care of his daughter, and they turn into dragons in the final fight. It gives you everything you need to watch, follow, and appreciate it, and a big backstory episode for Razzle and Dazzle wasn't necessary... but having more to do with them wouldn't necessarily have hurt, and that's representative of the whole show to me. They did all the things they had to do, but there's a lot more that could have been done. Any complaints I might have aren't really about them doing something wrong or poorly, but that it could have been done better. I think that speaks pretty well of it.

Solid 7/10, looking forward to the second season.

I guess the one complaint I do have is the first episode having its storybook sequence where it tells the viewer the plot, then proceeds to show us all the information contained in it in more interesting and entertaining ways, making that intro unnecessary and redundant. Wasted a few minutes there.

Based on what I've seen online, a lot of people gave a poo poo about Razzle and Dazzle.

Along with a number of people asking, what, they're body guards? after Lucifer mentions it. At which point online fandom usually points out they did pop up on occassion for a scene or two in the background and adds some more information from behind the scenes about them.

Some fans were quite touched Dazzle got a statue in front of the rebuilt hotel in full dragon mode.

In the final song moment of the show as the camera is panning upwards to show the new hotel you can even see Razzle is on the Dazzle statue singing to his former friend.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Hazin Hotel could benefit from a midquel, even if that would never happen, where they fill in the time between like episode 4 and 5 with more poo poo.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I'm willing to give a lot of slack because Viv is doing her best to cope with the completely absurd standards streaming shows are subjected to nowadays. it's especially bad for animation. Getting A24 behind her though is pretty solid safety blanket.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Nodosaur posted:

I need to ask you guys some questions about my fanfic:

1) since I’m AUing it up in the first place and it doesn’t seem to be plot essential whatsoever or even stated in any of the shows, I’m thinking of dropping the idea that sinners can’t reproduce. What do you think?
2) Related to that, what’s more interesting, my aforementioned idea that the Cannibals are the Hellborn native to the Pride Ring, or the reason they have child cannibals being that they were born there?
3) what’s more interesting, but also related to my first question: that Charlie and my version of Helsa were once friends and grew up together, or that Helsa was originally Charlie’s babysitter who became Charlie’s rival once the latter reached adulthood and they both realized they hated each other?

I could still use some feedback on all this

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Flopsy posted:

I'm willing to give a lot of slack because Viv is doing her best to cope with the completely absurd standards streaming shows are subjected to nowadays. it's especially bad for animation. Getting A24 behind her though is pretty solid safety blanket.

this. she has always also kinda just taking off with writing a show, like i love helluva boss BUT i think the writing only fully starts to get really interesting in season 2.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nodosaur posted:

I need to ask you guys some questions about my fanfic:

1) since I’m AUing it up in the first place and it doesn’t seem to be plot essential whatsoever or even stated in any of the shows, I’m thinking of dropping the idea that sinners can’t reproduce. What do you think?
2) Related to that, what’s more interesting, my aforementioned idea that the Cannibals are the Hellborn native to the Pride Ring, or the reason they have child cannibals being that they were born there?
3) what’s more interesting, but also related to my first question: that Charlie and my version of Helsa were once friends and grew up together, or that Helsa was originally Charlie’s babysitter who became Charlie’s rival once the latter reached adulthood and they both realized they hated each other?

2. id make caniballs kinda their own subesect of sinners. like maybe different types of sinners got "mass produced" in ceirtain time period. like how all the caniballs live in the gilded age/progressive age. My view is that whatever system picks winners or sinners is basicaly just a coin flip versio of predestination.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

2. id make caniballs kinda their own subesect of sinners. like maybe different types of sinners got "mass produced" in ceirtain time period. like how all the caniballs live in the gilded age/progressive age. My view is that whatever system picks winners or sinners is basicaly just a coin flip versio of predestination.

My reason for it is a bit different than that and a lot of my plot relies on it, so I can’t quite change it. :( so I don’t think that’ll work

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Oxxidation posted:

how dare you

They're weird little goat butler things named Razzle and Dazzle what more do you need to care about them.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Flopsy posted:

Pretty sure next episode is a break up between Stolas and Blitzo and then followed by more I.M.P centric episodes.

Break up? I don't think they've even really turned into an actual couple yet.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Small White Dragon posted:

Break up? I don't think they've even really turned into an actual couple yet.

The next episode will apparently heavily focus on them at the very least (they even get a duet together from what I read)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I think the general assumption is that Blitzo is going to misread the gift and is going to treat is as Stolas wanting to cut him off completely and is done with him and they are going to separated from each other until Blitzo stops being stupid

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The episode still doesn’t have a proper release date yet does it (I’ve heard anywhere from next month to Summer 2024)?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I think the general assumption is that Blitzo is going to misread the gift and is going to treat is as Stolas wanting to cut him off completely and is done with him and they are going to separated from each other until Blitzo stops being stupid

This is more or less a given. Ngl I'm not even that cut up over it because their dynamic is desperately in need of a shake up and if it ends with them going separate ways for a while until they sort their poo poo out I'm okay with it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh btw one thing I guess I meant to give more weight in the back half of HH was Angel's turn as the "adult in the room" at the party, watching out for Niffty. The writers, uh, do know their poo poo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Flopsy posted:

This is more or less a given. Ngl I'm not even that cut up over it because their dynamic is desperately in need of a shake up and if it ends with them going separate ways for a while until they sort their poo poo out I'm okay with it.

Fanartist have already paired up Stolas with a temporary boyfriend, by using the parrot looking Overlord from the Hazbin Hotel pilot during the Alastor backstory and repurposing him into a Goetia demon that's like super nice and attentive but ultimately boring as a partner compared to Blitzo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Data Graham posted:

Oh btw one thing I guess I meant to give more weight in the back half of HH was Angel's turn as the "adult in the room" at the party, watching out for Niffty. The writers, uh, do know their poo poo

Angel's definitely the one meant to have a bigger arc, kinda the funny thing was that Pentious, pathetic and abandoned as a scrub villain, took to being good quickly because he was never really any good at being bad in the first place. (Though funny thing is apparently the death ray he never gets to fire is legitimately dangerous, and could actually harm Adam, but the problem is it has fuckall range and requires a huge charge time that makes him a blindingly obvious target, lol) Angel on the other hand has a lot more going on; I feel like a big point is that he wallows in despair, self-destruction and all but allowing people to take advantage of him because he feels he's got nowhere further to sink, but actually caring about people and having people who care about him is giving him reasons to care about himself.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

No, seriously. Why is there a town of cannibals? Why is that a town? How many cannibals are there on Earth? Are they all the cannibals in history? The lore of this show grips my mind like a skidder and it keeps me up at night.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

My assumption is that the cannibals weren't guilty of that specifically in life, but for whatever reason, that is just how they manifest in Hell due to a multitude of different sins that could be interpreted as metaphorical cannibalism – which just becomes a lot more literal.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Angel's definitely the one meant to have a bigger arc, kinda the funny thing was that Pentious, pathetic and abandoned as a scrub villain, took to being good quickly because he was never really any good at being bad in the first place. (Though funny thing is apparently the death ray he never gets to fire is legitimately dangerous, and could actually harm Adam, but the problem is it has fuckall range and requires a huge charge time that makes him a blindingly obvious target, lol) Angel on the other hand has a lot more going on; I feel like a big point is that he wallows in despair, self-destruction and all but allowing people to take advantage of him because he feels he's got nowhere further to sink, but actually caring about people and having people who care about him is giving him reasons to care about himself.

I think a big part of Angel getting redeemed is getting out of his contract. My guess is that it won't matter how good he eventually becomes, he still needs to own his soul or he'll never be able to escape hell

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

DoubleCakes posted:

No, seriously. Why is there a town of cannibals? Why is that a town? How many cannibals are there on Earth? Are they all the cannibals in history? The lore of this show grips my mind like a skidder and it keeps me up at night.

I would assume it is all the cannibals in history (for the most part) and that there's a town of them because even the sinful find cannibalism distasteful.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I read a thread debating whether or not the Donner party is down there. Fun fact: only one of the members actually developed a taste for human flesh and most definitely preferred children as opposed to full grown adults. Probably put up less of a fight.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Generic American posted:

My assumption is that the cannibals weren't guilty of that specifically in life, but for whatever reason, that is just how they manifest in Hell due to a multitude of different sins that could be interpreted as metaphorical cannibalism – which just becomes a lot more literal.

Maybe all the cannibals are predatory bankers.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Ghost Leviathan posted:

(Though funny thing is apparently the death ray he never gets to fire is legitimately dangerous, and could actually harm Adam, but the problem is it has fuckall range and requires a huge charge time that makes him a blindingly obvious target, lol)

I mean to be fair, Pentious was unknowingly following Carmine's advice to Vaggie completely - he was fighting for love when he did his suicidal attack. He had also unknowingly been following Adam's list, the final piece being standing up to Adam himself as "sticking it to the man". Generally speaking Pentious was kind of doing all the right things in the background, nobody just paid much attention to it in universe until Pentious got redeemed.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I guess I’m just gonna nix the idea that sinners can’t have kids, and that a form a sinner takes is partly based on their sin, which is why the cannibals look alike and how there can be cannibal children (them all being children who ate people who died seems unlikely given their numbers). I’m also gonna have Helsa and Charlie be former childhood friends before the latter went bad.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Macaluso posted:

We've seen both. Wrath is where Millie (and imps in general?) are from. It's like wild west country. Sloth is where the hospitals seem to be located, and presumably the goat demons are from there. It's main color is pink and has a very cloudy dream like look to it. The ring we haven't seen yet is Envy

I think Imp City is in envy. There is a sign that says it is in the 2nd ring, and when looking at the boarding sign in the elevator station during the Ozzies episode, it lists Envy as the second ring down.

It also fits with things being run down and kinda depressing, but in a way that isn't exceedingly horrible, but makes you long for something better.

I could be wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

jadebullet posted:

I think Imp City is in envy. There is a sign that says it is in the 2nd ring, and when looking at the boarding sign in the elevator station during the Ozzies episode, it lists Envy as the second ring down.

It also fits with things being run down and kinda depressing, but in a way that isn't exceedingly horrible, but makes you long for something better.

I could be wrong though.

Envy is entirely an ocean and operates like a gated community so most likely not. A good way to note what ring you're in is look at the sky. The color corresponds to the sin.