Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
https://x.com/ambercrollo/status/1757964360989942064?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Halloween Jack posted:

I've seen a kid poo poo on the floor because dealing with kid emergencies is the only time his parents can set their differences aside.

if that kid learns to write he's gonna be a helluva troll

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Looking forward to dealing with all the kids with attachment disorders in the coming years.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/1758359015715971190

he's correct

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I really liked Beau Is Afraid, it felt like being inside the mind of someone running themself into such an anxiety fit and catastrophizing every problem that they explode

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

holy poo poo this is coherent as hell

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1758350879210524739

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

i say swears online posted:

he's back

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like I say this often, but Taibbi has the most depressing career arc

Guy was one of the best working journalists and threw it all away to chase the right wing grift

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

It's not a right wing gift to factually report that the democrats are corrupt as hell.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Uh huh bud take it back to cspam

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

COPE 27 posted:

It's not a right wing gift to factually report that the democrats are corrupt as hell.

:sam:

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

More like demon rats amirite

selec
Sep 6, 2003

My boy smokes too tough, his swag is too different, his bitch too bad. They’ll never kill him.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

COPE 27 posted:

Yeah bro

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
UNICRU tests were the bane of my existence coming out of college.

Conventional wisdom is that you want to sound like an enthusiastic go-getter. However, I recently learned that they are also screening for traits of people who are likely to join unions, and those same go-getter traits are associated with being a pinko union guy!

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The tests are essentially completely random, but you wouldn't want to hire someone unlucky, would you?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

COPE 27 posted:

Glenn Greenwald has entered da chat

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like I say this often, but Taibbi has the most depressing career arc

Guy was one of the best working journalists and threw it all away to chase the right wing grift

Ames has the best take here which is that he's so journalism-poisoned that the prospect of getting cancelled (for entirely spurious reasons) broke his brain and made him desperate to cling to any kind of media ecosystem he could get

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

jpmeyer posted:

Ames has the best take here which is that he's so journalism-poisoned that the prospect of getting cancelled (for entirely spurious reasons) broke his brain and made him desperate to cling to any kind of media ecosystem he could get
Yeah I don’t buy that. The guy had a career for a long time. He clearly decided at some point that there was no money in investigative journalism (which is unfortunately true now) and opted to just pivot to the right wing grift

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

jpmeyer posted:

Insane Clown Poster

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i've had dreams like the early part of Beau is Afraid, mostly when i forget to take my brain pills.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

COPE 27 posted:

Bitch rear end poster.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

uber_stoat posted:

i've had dreams like the early part of Beau is Afraid, mostly when i forget to take my brain pills.

that whole first hour before he leaves the city is a good vision of what your average Fox News viewer believes City Living is like in America

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

UNICRU tests were the bane of my existence coming out of college.

Conventional wisdom is that you want to sound like an enthusiastic go-getter. However, I recently learned that they are also screening for traits of people who are likely to join unions, and those same go-getter traits are associated with being a pinko union guy!

what's crazy to me is that these tests help nobody. hiring managers are genuinely struggling to find good candidates half the time, and these stupid rear end tests favor either dull morons or sociopaths who are good at faking it.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
They don't help nobody.

They help "the blackhearted sonofabitch who sold all of these bullshit evaluations to the easily-fleeced empty suits that are in charge of literally every company these days".
The kind that care WAY more about the metrics that get them bonuses than the employees that actually keep the company from going under.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, it's all down to the fact that "management science" products are purchased by management, not by the people being managed. Consequently, a great deal of it is flattering managers and blaming poor morale on the employees' personal moral failings.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

wondering when I’m going to be asked to get an orange now

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I really liked Beau Is Afraid, it felt like being inside the mind of someone running themself into such an anxiety fit and catastrophizing every problem that they explode

The first hour or so I really liked, after that it felt like when you’re supposed to write an essay that has a specific word count but you made your main point in the first paragraph so you just keep finding new ways to make the same point over and over again.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
growing old is coming to terms that many great movies have a weak act

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

last crusade is perfect

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

last crusade is perfect

Hehe, "No ticket."

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

The_Rob posted:

The first hour or so I really liked, after that it felt like when you’re supposed to write an essay that has a specific word count but you made your main point in the first paragraph so you just keep finding new ways to make the same point over and over again.

Watched it with some friends. We concluded afterwards that we had watched 3-4 movies all combined into one and each of them was worse than the previous one. First act was fantastic, second was still good and then it just kept going and getting worse.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sounds like triangle of sadness

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
https://twitter.com/ACABylonBee/status/1758959593852490038

matt taibi shamepiggy arc

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Wolfsheim posted:

Glenn Greenwald has entered da chat

Friendly reminder that Glenn Greenwald is a sexpat

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I don't think Taibbi's thing is a grift I think his brain legitimately broke in some way. When you're sending texts like that or saying poo poo in public like Musk is funny or going on Don Jr's podcast you're not embarrassing yourself to that level for the dollar there's something else going on.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I don’t buy that. The guy had a career for a long time. He clearly decided at some point that there was no money in investigative journalism (which is unfortunately true now) and opted to just pivot to the right wing grift

He had a career, yes, but I do think he was legitimately close to breaking into mainstream, 'respectable' news as a recognisable figure with a message.

Politics-poisoned types like us might care that he had that good exposé of the financial system on rolling Stone, and a couple of great books, but in the big picture, RS is nothing, and no one who matters give a drat. But actually having a semi-respectable face sitting on camera with thesupposed all-knowing talking faces and making them look like the morons they are while pointing a finger at banks and grifters was in a different league.

I'm always reminded of this exchange after the 2010 election, in which he almost made bipedal foreskin David Gergen have the vapors.

quote:

Gergen: I don’t think his problem is he hasn’t put enough people in jail. I agree that when people commit fraud, they ought to spend some time in the slammer. But there’s a tendency in today’s Democratic Party to turn away from someone like Bob Rubin because of his time at Citigroup. I served with him during the Clinton administration, when the country added 22 million new jobs, and Bob Rubin was right at the center of that. He was an invaluable adviser to the president, and he is now arguing that one of the reasons this economy is not coming back is that the business community is sitting on money because of the hostility they feel coming from Washington.

Taibbi: I’m sorry, but Bob Rubin is exactly what I’m talking about. Under Clinton, he pushed this enormous remaking of the rules for Wall Street specifically so the Citigroup merger could go through, then he went to work for Citigroup and made $120 million over the next 10 years. He helped push through the Commodity Futures Modernization Act of 2000, which deregulated the derivatives market and created the mortgage bubble. Then Obama brings him back into the government during the transition and surrounds himself with people who are close to Bob Rubin. That’s exactly the wrong message to be sending to ordinary voters: that we’re bringing back this same crew of Wall Street-friendly guys who screwed up and got us in this mess in the first place.

Gergen: That sentiment is exactly what the business community objects to.

Taibbi: gently caress the business community!

Gergen: gently caress the business community? That’s what you said? That’s the very attitude the business community feels is coming from many Democrats in Washington, including some in the White House. There’s a good reason why they feel many Democrats are hostile — because they are.

Taibbi: It’s hard to see how this administration is hostile to business when the guy it turns to for economic advice is the same guy who pushed through a merger and then went right off and made $120 million from a decision that helped wreck the entire economy.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/roundtable-the-gop-victory-and-obamas-next-steps-185327/

Extra hilarious because Gergen apparently thought he was talking to Matt BAI, a known anti-union neolib cum-gargler. Also, finding this was sheer hell because Google is so awful now. There was another exchange in which some Tea Party congressperson was spouting dumb racist crap blaming the financial crash on immigrants and blacks, and Taibbi called him on his figures, making the guy freeze for so long looking for some example that Matt started posting 'tick tock' to drive it home. That one is also impossible to find befare if you research anything with Taibbi and 'tick tock', you get directed to TikTok poop.

So yeah, when he became big enough to merit some scrutiny (It's not like the eXile book was a secret before that), I can see why the people in the editing room and above didn't mobilize to shield him as they do with their friends and figures with a more palatable message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
he (and Ames) got targeted by both libs and chuds at the same time. Chuds were mad because of a combination of writing a black lives matter book and making fun of Breitbart while libs were furious at him over russiagate (one part because he would frequently debunk the claims often simply through knowing Russian and being able to point out like "that's not what Putin said" and one part neoliberal ghouls that were still angry 20 years later that the exile called them mean names over rigging elections or working for oligarchs)