Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

She was offered some poison in exchange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
rozemyne is a book gremlin and maomao is a poison gremlin. i wish they could meet

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I dunno, I think MaoMao would absolutely LOVE Rishe (from 7th Time Loop) and her garden of herbs meant to be medicine.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Pan Dulce posted:

I dunno, I think MaoMao would absolutely LOVE Rishe (from 7th Time Loop) and her garden of herbs meant to be medicine.

Yeah but like rozemyne can just magic the earth to grow stuff

Also Ferdinand probably has all the cool stuff

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Maomao would probably be taken aback by all these obvious fantasy powers in her grounded real world with the serial numbers filed off setting. If she has to start accounting for magic bullshit she'll just go paranoid and never come out.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Until someone showed her Fantasy Alchemy and then poison gremlin would become magical poison gremlin.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Someone's back to scanalating the other manga and one detail that I forgot is the maidservant who died did it as a suicide to try and take the blame from the head maid rather than be pressed into it. It's an extra little detail that could be cut out without changing the final result, but it obviously makes the character much more different though it's ultimately not important long term.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
how is the other manga?

i had given it a pass mostly because it didn't seem to have an active scanlating group

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I read the first two volumes and just thought it was generally worse. It's paced faster - the garden party is two chapters instead of 3, etc - and the raws are ahead of the one more actively getting scanned, but that doesn't help an english audience. Unless you really want to read it again with worse art, I wouldn't recommend it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I read the first two volumes and just thought it was generally worse. It's paced faster - the garden party is two chapters instead of 3, etc - and the raws are ahead of the one more actively getting scanned, but that doesn't help an english audience. Unless you really want to read it again with worse art, I wouldn't recommend it.

The art is definitely doesn't pop as much, but it's a much more direct adaptation of the LN in comparison and faster paced.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Been waiting around for this post to ripen nicely.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Hoping that weird monocle guy isn't somehow maomao's biological father :ohdear:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I was waiting to find out how they adopt this scene.

Keeping it ultra short like that is not what I expected, but it works very well.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
yeah was not expecting the captain howdy gambit

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

VictualSquid posted:

I was waiting to find out how they adopt this scene.

Keeping it ultra short like that is not what I expected, but it works very well.

It's so loving good :allears:

e: I did not like the decision to open the first episode with Maomao's abduction, as I thought it made the episode feel like it started twice, but since then there have been some really great adaptation choices. Really happy with the team on this.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
What an incredible scene, they took a swing and nailed it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

That actually made me say "Oh drat" out loud, so good

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Well that whole reveal explains an AWFUL LOT about Maomao.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I fell asleep the first few times I tried to watch the last two episodes. Finally managed to stay awake past the first moments of Jinshi's little excursion prep.

gently caress drat that's some good plot.

Also Maomao having memories going back that young, thats a little... off putting

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

I fell asleep the first few times I tried to watch the last two episodes. Finally managed to stay awake past the first moments of Jinshi's little excursion prep.

gently caress drat that's some good plot.

Also Maomao having memories going back that young, thats a little... off putting

I assumed it wasn’t an actual memory so much as her imagination’s reconstruction of what happened.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

I assumed it wasn’t an actual memory so much as her imagination’s reconstruction of what happened.

Possibly, depending on what she was told about things, I think some people's can go back further and trauma can etch itself deep.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Silver2195 posted:

It's possible to have scattered, fuzzy memories that far back, but it's extremely rare because your brain isn't set up to record experiential memories yet. I mean would you want to remember being completely helpless with no bladder or bowel control? Trapped in a body growing more complex by the day that actively resists your attempts at control? It's some horror scenario poo poo, being a baby.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Isekai about a guy being driven insane due to being trapped in a baby's body when

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Isekai about a guy being driven insane due to being trapped in a baby's body when

Not come across that, but I have come across a comic that explores what being reincarnated as a baby (specifically a modern baby) would actually be like, "A Story About Being Reborn as a Baby". It's a Twitter comic that eventually got a serialisation, but unfortunately the translation of the Twitter comic was dropped several months back, and no-one's touched the serialisation.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's a joke webnovel that takes place entirely while the reincarnated person is still in the womb. it's okay.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Silver2195 posted:

In the LN, it's more explicitly this. Or at least Maomao assumes it is, musing that she should not have been able to remember it, if it even happened this way.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

It's possible to have scattered, fuzzy memories that far back, but it's extremely rare because your brain isn't set up to record experiential memories yet. I mean would you want to remember being completely helpless with no bladder or bowel control? Trapped in a body growing more complex by the day that actively resists your attempts at control? It's some horror scenario poo poo, being a baby.

I personally have some scattered memories going back that far, I wouldn't say out of the womb but within about being a year old, one important one was I pulled the cats tail, and the cat clawed me in the face, I remember that, the elderly dog we had at the time as well before he passed... and the daycares I was in. To this day I have a fond if fuzzy memory of eating chicken and dumplings while holding a sippy cup of milk, its surreal to be honest. And I know the more or less timeline of each daycare I was in since my mother kept records

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i am now caught up on episodes. its ftw

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Also memories are incredibly unreliable

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the far shot when jinshi mentions lakan and then the quick cut to maomao's glare was incredibly striking. god i love this show.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Well

If I was that guy with club

I'd be getting the hell out of dodge right about now

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
That man will not see another sunrise, if he even sees the sunset.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ohtori Akio posted:

i am now caught up on episodes. its ftw

Doing my best to catch up. Can't believe I forgot this last season. Agree it's ftw

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So let me get this straight:
The conspiracy plot was to
hand a random soldier a pipe just to tempt him to go into a nearby warehouse and cause a fire, which made it possible to steal a ceremonial piece from another warehouse. This was made easier because two other people in charge were out of commission. Furthermore, the person who would usually replace the ceremonial piece happened to die recently and his sons would (intentionally?) make comparatively shoddy work, which in turn caused a structural weak point.

I guess it's par for the course in detective stories, but that strains credibility a bit.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It wasn't shoddy work it was intentional. They replaced it with the metal with a low melting point.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Maomao speculated that this wasn't a single perfectly-executed master plan, but a series of small self-contained plans that build towards creating vulnerabilities. There were probably a dozen other poisonings and schemes that quietly failed, and a bunch that haven't fully cooked yet.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Oh, so the whole plan wouldn't even have worked if Maomao hadn't lead them to the formular for that. Okay then.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Or else they'd have resorted to a slightly different plan to create a possible disaster. Maybe the job to make the new fittings would have been given to a planned other smith who would have deliberately made them poorly, if Maomao hadn't reconciled the brothers, for example.

It also won't be the only such attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
yeah, it's less setting a single rube goldberg murder machine in motion, but just sort of tossing a bunch of murder marbles on the floor and hoping the target trips on one