Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Microsoft 365 (for work or school (new))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Have a 10gbe connected synology server at work.

Mac via 10gbe connection gets speed as advertised. Both write and read.

PC via 10gbe NIC gets 10gig *read* but only 1 gig write. I used the same cable with each just to be sure.

Synology SMB setting is min 2 max 3.

Any idea what might be causing the stunted write speed?

edit: PC NIC is an x550 t2 and is accurately reporting 10gig in Windows.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 17, 2024

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you do iperf from the PC to the Mac and see what they get?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Thanks Ants posted:

Can you do iperf from the PC to the Mac and see what they get?

I can try that on Monday!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kibner posted:

Yeah, I'd get a super-low power CPU with ECC support and spend the money saved on as much ram as you can get for the OS to use as cache to help mitigate the latency & speed of repeated access of the same files off that spinning rust.

Any board/low power CPU suggestions for a pure file server? I assume you meant an Atom CPU/board? I currently run a 10yo Supermicro Atom. Would one of those combos work again?

edit: Great, now I'm looking at QNAP and Synology solutions to avoid piecing stuff together by hand..................

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 17, 2024

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Do Synology NAS' do hardware transcoding? e: it appears this answer is.... maybe, depending on the model.

I currently run PMS on my beefy desktop PC with hardware transcoding enabled. My current NAS is only used to store the files. Should I just keep it as-is, or try to actually run PMS on the (possible Synology) NAS? I'm leaning toward just keeping my NAS as a file server only to avoid paying for duplicating hardware functionality. The Synology DS1823xs+ ($1800) is probably what I'm leaning toward at the moment.

Only leaning toward Synology because of the SHR/SHR2 hybrid RAID modes, so I can use a bunch of different-sized disks. QNAP only seems to support RAID configs, which require the same size drives.

edit: well gently caress, the 8-bay DS1823xs+ doesn't support SHR for different-sized disks, which is exactly what I want. The non xs+ model is like 4 years old and the AMD Ryzen V1500B CPU came out in 2018.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 18, 2024

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I was further behind than you (PMC on my gaming PC with SSD-only storage) and was advised that transcoding is the biggest hurdle. You can standardize your files for the few that aren’t one of the two modern scene formats.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
This is turning into a disease. A while back I got an HBA card to tinker, and I just bought a new case that can hold 11 drives, and a new PSU to replace the old one in the machine I've converted into this thing.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Well Played Mauer posted:

This is turning into a disease. A while back I got an HBA card to tinker, and I just bought a new case that can hold 11 drives, and a new PSU to replace the old one in the machine I've converted into this thing.

Brother, tell me about it.

Transferring all my drives out of a stand-alone 8-bay JBOD into an L4500 that I'm going to rackmount DAS.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
DELETE NOTHING

I AM THE CLOUD

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

:yeshaha:

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Discrete stages of NAS I've gone through since starting around 2015:

1) A Raspberry Pi 2 with Samba running off of a single 2TB external drive.
2) My Windows i5-2500K gaming desktop sharing a folder on a 3x3TB Intel controller RAID5.
3) My old i7-920 gaming desktop running CentOS/Samba with a 3x6TB mdadm RAID5.
4) Xeon L3426 in a used LGA1156 Supermicro board (with ECC!) and an HBA, still CentOS with a 6x10TB mdadm RAID6. Later switched to Rocky Linux/RAIDZ2.
5) A brand new 5900X/X570 setup, running TrueNAS Scale with a 6x16TB RAIDZ2. Now also hosts VMs.

I think the next stage will be getting a used rackmount server in the Haswell to Skylake-E range with 12+ bays, but if I go that way the noise will probably force me to keep it in the crawlspace. Could go Epyc if the price is right, I guess.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 18, 2024

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Eletriarnation posted:

Discrete stages of NAS I've gone through since starting around 2015:

1) A Raspberry Pi 2 with Samba running off of a single 2TB external drive.
2) My Windows i5-2500K gaming desktop sharing a folder on a 3x3TB Intel controller RAID5.
3) My old i7-920 gaming desktop running CentOS/Samba with a 3x6TB mdadm RAID5.
4) Xeon L3426 in a used LGA1156 Supermicro board (with ECC!) and an HBA, still CentOS with a 6x10TB mdadm RAID6. Later switched to Rocky Linux/RAIDZ2.
5) A brand new 5900X/X570 setup, running TrueNAS Scale with a 6x16TB RAIDZ2. Now also hosts VMs.

I think the next stage will be getting a used rackmount server in the Haswell to Skylake-E range with 12+ bays, but if I go that way the noise will probably force me to keep it in the crawlspace. Could go Epyc if the price is right, I guess.

Server Haswell is likely to be slower than your 5900X, the highest core count that mainstream Xeons got was the Xeon E5-2699 v3 with 18 cores at very low clocks by modern standards, and Zen 3 is a good bit faster than Haswell.

That was also the top end part with an MSRP over $4k. You find lower end parts in the cheap used market.

Edit: yeah, base clock of 2.3, max 1 core turbo of 3.6, a 5900X would run rings around that thing.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 18, 2024

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I'd probably want at least Broadwell since they went up to 22 and don't look very expensive. Realistically though, my ideal upgrade path will probably change by the time I need to take it - at least, I hope so since I built the current system less than a year ago.

e: LGA2011 would also allow for dual CPU at the point that I actually think I'd benefit from it.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 18, 2024

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
My first NAS was some old ubuntu server w/ mdadm raid5 and manually configured samba. Then a few iterations of NAS-whatever, Nas-4-Free, Super-Duper-NAS-Xigma, and whatever the gently caress. They all suck in various ways, so I'm planning on reloading with just a stripped down debian hopefully without rebuilding my RAIDZ2. The only lovely part of doing it manually is samba really. And scheduling automatic checks on the ZFS.

But my main goals are:
* PROPERLY configured network ups tools. Almost every NAS distro I found does dumb poo poo with the ups configuration, sometimes catastrophically bad.
* RAID on the boot device. It looks like doing RAID1 on a pair of SSD's and still having it bootable isn't too terribly difficult.
* Do push notifications instead of email.
* Force the higher security settings and transport encryption for samba.

Unless there's an out of the box NAS distro that actually gets this stuff right? But I kind of doubt it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Epyc would make sense for more pci-e lanes, but do you really need them? The 5900X is a beast of a CPU and will handle a lot of load.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Lol no, I absolutely don't need them - certainly not for just a NAS. I'm mostly speculating on what I would do to get better VM sandbox capabilities within a single chassis if cost wasn't a concern, not making actual plans to buy anything at the moment.

My biggest limiting factor right now is only having 32GB of RAM, but this system can go up to 128 if I'm willing to pay for it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

DAS migration completed and moved into the L4500! One of the first times that I've done a big project like this and everything was recognized and fired up on the first boot. Clipping the 3.3V lines on the SATA splitters likely helped prevent at least one round of that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Well poo poo. Instead of just expanding and upgrading my Unraid, I went ahead and got a Synology DS1822+ 8-bay system and picked up 3x 22TB Ironwolf Pros. I don’t like the Synology having a CPU from 2018, but I figure waiting for a refresh on it, while my Unraid quickly runs out of space, probably wasn’t worth it, and having a AIO system that just works and doesn’t require a lot of maintenance is probably a good thing. Plus, it’s a pure file server. My NUC is the one running PMS, so it doesn’t need any hardware encoding support.

It’ll be running 3x 22TB, 2x 12TB, 2x 8TB, and a single 4TB in SHR (hybrid raid).

I didn’t opt to use Synology’s hilariously overpriced DDR4 though, especially at $700 for 32GB. Instead, I went for some brand called A-tech for $125. We’ll see if it blows up.

I’m sure they’ll announce a refresh within the next couple months, but it does look like Synology keeps their value pretty well according to eBay.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

If it helps, I'm 10 years in, and think I'm coming out the other side. I'll probably swap from spinning rust to SSDs when it comes time to replace things even if that means my total storage goes down. I was 20TB in 2014, now 170TB.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Ordered 2 counterfeit LSI SAS controllers to drive 16 3.5 disks. Wish me luck. $40 for both shipped.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Does it matter which sata ports a drive is connected to in Unraid? i want to move a couple drives around from the mb sata into an icy dock enclosure connected to a LSI card. Reddit says it doesn’t matter but I want to be sure before I start.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Bloopsy posted:

Does it matter which sata ports a drive is connected to in Unraid? i want to move a couple drives around from the mb sata into an icy dock enclosure connected to a LSI card. Reddit says it doesn’t matter but I want to be sure before I start.

It shouldn't, the drives are mapped by their serial number so as long as they're all present when you turn the system back on Unraid doesn't care. This also assumes that the LSI card is in IT mode and is just directly passing through the drives to the system.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Scruff McGruff posted:

It shouldn't, the drives are mapped by their serial number so as long as they're all present when you turn the system back on Unraid doesn't care. This also assumes that the LSI card is in IT mode and is just directly passing through the drives to the system.

Yup, that's how I believe it to be true as well. The thing to look out for is if your enclosure is trying to manage the drive itself and not just pass through the drive to let the HBA or Motherboard manage the drive.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I connected an old drive to the new HBA to test it, and hooked it up to a sata power cable off the power supply. When I booted up the drive didn’t spin and while the HBA was recognized with lspci the drive didn’t show up anywhere. I put the drive in an external usb enclosure and it worked right away.

I’m thinking this is a power supply issue since the drive didn’t even spin on startup and the HBA showed up with drivers and everything in the OS- that’s probably the case here, right? I bought the HBA from artofserver on eBay who flashes and tests stuff before it gets shipped, or so he claims.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I connected an old drive to the new HBA to test it, and hooked it up to a sata power cable off the power supply. When I booted up the drive didn’t spin and while the HBA was recognized with lspci the drive didn’t show up anywhere. I put the drive in an external usb enclosure and it worked right away.

I’m thinking this is a power supply issue since the drive didn’t even spin on startup and the HBA showed up with drivers and everything in the OS- that’s probably the case here, right? I bought the HBA from artofserver on eBay who flashes and tests stuff before it gets shipped, or so he claims.

Clip the 3.3V wire.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If you don't want to clip the wires, you can get the same effect by using a Molex -> SATA adapter since Molex doesn't carry 3.3V.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just put a little electrical tape on the pin on the drive.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Wow I didn’t realize that was a thing. Gonna give it a try. I have a new PSU coming anyway so with any luck it’ll be moot in a few days. Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Eletriarnation posted:

If you don't want to clip the wires, you can get the same effect by using a Molex -> SATA adapter since Molex doesn't carry 3.3V.

Yup, but if you do not like working with Molex (that irritate me with being misaligned/etc all the time) and you're already using SATA splitters/extenders, below is the guide that I used and it was super simple. Basically, if you have five wires, remove the one that is closest to the L in the connector. Doesn't matter what your upstream PSU has at that point.

https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/guide-3-3v-sata-power-cable-mod-3-3v-wire-removal/9806

It was a very trivial and easy process.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

This came up in the Self Hosted thread but figure it's worth crossposting here. Unraid might be moving to a subscription based license model.
https://www.reddit.com/r/selfhosted/comments/1aue3rc/psa_unraid_might_be_changing_license_models/

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bloopsy posted:

I think years ago it used to matter, but like other posters have mentioned, it shouldn’t anymore. This used to drive me batshit insane when I’d have to take a drive cage out to replace one and the SATA cables get all tangled up. I had to boot it up a couple times to get the ports straight. I ended up printing out the SATA port name and serial number of the drive on a tiny piece of paper and taped it to each drive.

Scruff McGruff posted:

This came up in the Self Hosted thread but figure it's worth crossposting here. Unraid might be moving to a subscription based license model.
https://www.reddit.com/r/selfhosted/comments/1aue3rc/psa_unraid_might_be_changing_license_models/

I’m somewhat surprised it would take them this long. I’ve been using Unraid for probably close to 15 years and it’s been constantly updated for my initial $29 purchase or whatever their 6-drive tier was way back then.

I do like how this was posted a day after I purchased a Synology, and will be moving on from Unraid :v:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 19, 2024

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Really can't be arsed migrating from unraid if they pull a 1Password gotcha where the lifetime license is limited to 6.x

Maybe I'll go insane and hack together xpenology.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’d be ok with them dropping support for older versions after a couple years but I’m not gonna do subscription fees if that’s the way they end up going.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
They just detailed the changes. Nothing burger for existing license holders thankfully.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Looks like they put out the official announcement
https://unraid.net/blog/pricing-change

Unraid posted:

The new pricing model at Unraid will introduce three new license types:

Starter - Supports up to 4 attached storage devices. This will be offered at a lower price than today's Basic key.

Unleashed - Supports an unlimited number of devices. This will be offered at about the same price as today's Plus key.

Lifetime - Essentially the same as a Pro key at a higher price point.

These will function similarly to the current Basic, Plus, and Pro licenses, with the main difference being that the Starter and Unleashed licenses will come with one year of software updates. After that, customers will be able to pay an OPTIONAL extension fee, which makes them eligible for another year of updates. If you choose not to renew, no problem.

Again, this change does not apply to any current license holders. You will still be able to access all updates for life, as promised.
So current licenses are unaffected and will continue to get lifetime updates. They're replacing the Basic/Plus tiers with Starter/Unleashed that include a year of updates with the option to pay a smaller fee to get subsequent years of updates. Pro tier is now effectively a lifetime license.

So yeah, honestly this seems fine.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 19, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How “essentially the same” are Pro and Lifetime? I could be convinced to upgrade to Pro right now.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That’s probably the least offensive switch to a subscription fee they could have done, especially if the lifetime is reasonably priced.

It’s funny reading the Reddit comments from last night and this morning before the official announcement. Everyone was frothing at the mouth pissed.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

How “essentially the same” are Pro and Lifetime? I could be convinced to upgrade to Pro right now.

From what I'm reading if you already have a Plus license you should still continue to get lifetime updates so really there's no reason to upgrade now vs. later. Basic tier folks might want to consider moving to Plus before the switch though.

edit: Actually, reading their forum post it sounds like even after the change existing Basic users will still have the option to upgrade to "Plus"? If that's true that would be impressive from a "tech company switching monetization strategies" perspective (they may just mean you still have that option until they switch though). And that post also says that they're considering renaming "Pro" to "Lifetime" but they're not sure yet vs Basic/Plus where they describe it as "getting rid of" those licenses so AFAICT it's staying exactly the same.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

That’s probably the least offensive switch to a subscription fee they could have done, especially if the lifetime is reasonably priced.

It’s funny reading the Reddit comments from last night and this morning before the official announcement. Everyone was frothing at the mouth pissed.

Reddit is poo poo but tbh I was very much expecting a big rug pull based on how other software companies have done things like this in the past. I'm glad it hasn't gone like that.