Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

FishFood posted:

I always say that the pilot episode is how they got the suits to agree to the show before quickly pivoting from "what if family guy was star trek" to "TNG in 25 minutes".

I'm also convinced that this was how The Orville was snuck past Fox executives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Alchenar posted:

The character hasn't actually grown, they've done the comedy show thing of pretending to have growth while secretly resetting everything after the episode ends because the core character traits and the resulting cast dynamics are where all the comedy comes from. And that's not really a bad thing, it's why every comedy show does this!

This is simply not true. Sure you could argue that there are certain core character traits that will never fully change (which is true), but also do you think that Season 1 Boimler could become acting Captain of the Ceritos during a crisis situation without having a full blown freakout.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

MikeJF posted:

Disagree, because all of the recent Mariner stuff was pretty clearly seeded heavily from the start. But I do think they have tuned presentation as they found themselves.

I'd chalk that up more to finding a good way to capitalize on early missteps rather than a well-orchestrated plan. Which, to my mind, is an even more impressive laurel for the writers.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This is simply not true. Sure you could argue that there are certain core character traits that will never fully change (which is true), but also do you think that Season 1 Boimler could become acting Captain of the Ceritos during a crisis situation without having a full blown freakout.

1x01 Boimler

https://i.imgur.com/OkNOEvT.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/2UWuDVQ.mp4

4x08 Boimler

https://i.imgur.com/m3ALOIO.mp4

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I mean that just shows who Boimler.
:wink:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Amazing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

now THAT'S character development

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Truly the character progression we should all aspire to.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Alchenar posted:

The character hasn't actually grown, they've done the comedy show thing of pretending to have growth while secretly resetting everything after the episode ends because the core character traits and the resulting cast dynamics are where all the comedy comes from. And that's not really a bad thing, it's why every comedy show does this!
I think it's both. They figured out how to write her and she grew. :shrug:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I mean for one thing she gets along with her mom now, and she's earned Ransom's respect

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i love lower decks

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Lower Decks is better than it has any right to be but still has room for improvement.

It's a fun spot to be in.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, I can't define or explain why even in those fraction of a second clips the animation looks so much better in the later one, but it really does.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Also, I can't define or explain why even in those fraction of a second clips the animation looks so much better in the later one, but it really does.

No, the animation has improved over the seasons, and especially the facial acting of the characters has gotten a lot better. In particular, the scene where Boimler and Rutherford are arguing over whether or not Nick Lorcano looks like Tom Paris is particularly well facially animated.

If you watch a recent LD episode back to back with something like Family Guy or Crapopolis, the difference is striking.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

A.o.D. posted:

No, the animation has improved over the seasons, and especially the facial acting of the characters has gotten a lot better. In particular, the scene where Boimler and Rutherford are arguing over whether or not Nick Lorcano looks like Tom Paris is particularly well facially animated.

If you watch a recent LD episode back to back with something like Family Guy or Crapopolis, the difference is striking.

he looks like tom paris!!

https://i.imgur.com/mwkhobi.mp4

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mx. posted:

Huh, in gif form you can see the trick they pull where Freeman moves just a little in the centre of the screen to distract you from the fact that every other character in the background is entirely static.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Alchenar posted:

Huh, in gif form you can see the trick they pull where Freeman moves just a little in the centre of the screen to distract you from the fact that every other character in the background is entirely static.

Other than tendi's eyebrows

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Azhais posted:

Other than tendi's eyebrows

Ransom blinks too

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Over the course of the last few years I went through all the old Star Trek (even Enterprise) shows one episode a day and eventually ran out of them. So I picked Prodigy, Lower Decks and Strange New Worlds as my next watch.

Of the three I was most skeptical of LD and SNW (one was an adult cartoon comedy and the other a live-action prequel to TOS). And I gotta say I'm pleasently surprised. Prodigy is my favorite, but the other two have been quite fun.
And man, do I just love the retro-futuristic aesthetics of Strange New Worlds. Feels like they took TOS' designs and modernized them.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

TuxedoOrca posted:

And man, do I just love the retro-futuristic aesthetics of Strange New Worlds. Feels like they took TOS' designs and modernized them.
Yeah whatever else that can be said about SNW, the design aesthetics on it is fantastic. As you say pretty much perfectly modernizes the 60's look.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mx. posted:

They're doing some really good work on the keyframes there. When's the last time you saw a head tilt vertically as part of a simple conversation animation? (talking about Rutherford's animation, here)

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
The facial animation really pays off with T'lyn. She's so subtle and it's done extremely well.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

thuly posted:

The facial animation really pays off with T'lyn. She's so subtle and it's done extremely well.

I have a crackpot theory that T'lyn may have a slight thing for Boimler, and it's mostly based on this one frame:

Literally everyone else is looking at the viewscreen as they approach the Binar shield. But T'Lyn glances over at Boimler as he's doing his captain shtick.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
You could definitely get an episode out of that idea.

T'Lyn: "I have begun to find Lieutenant Boimler... intriguing"

Tendi: "Omigosh that's so great, you two would be so cute together!!!"

Mariner: "I... wha... you and Boims?!? *retches*"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

When T'Lyn's time comes she's going to turn Boimler into dust.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I have a crackpot theory that T'lyn may have a slight thing for Boimler, and it's mostly based on this one frame:

Literally everyone else is looking at the viewscreen as they approach the Binar shield. But T'Lyn glances over at Boimler as he's doing his captain shtick.

Also, she’s doing the ever-so-slight Vulcan grin

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

You could definitely get an episode out of that idea.

T'Lyn: "I have begun to find Lieutenant Boimler... intriguing"

Tendi: "Omigosh that's so great, you two would be so cute together!!!"

Mariner: "I... wha... you and Boims?!? *retches*"

Nah, Mariner would be happy.

But she'd also caution T'Lyn to check for weird love parasites.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

T'Lyn looked horrified when Boimler got blown up when they were on the ring planet with the faulty AI, she tried to hide it but really couldn't. She's definitely come to appreciate him if nothing else.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

I have the same theory based on that exact frame. Also T'Lyn has been portrayed as being thirsty (for a Vulcan) like three different times.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

thuly posted:

I have the same theory based on that exact frame. Also T'Lyn has been portrayed as being thirsty (for a Vulcan) like three different times.

Sent to the most logical posting, then.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Be careful, T'Lyn. Just ask T'Pol what happens when you get thirsty for a human.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
This the Vulcan colloquialism “Once you go human, you can never resume an optimal career path.”

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

T'Lyn looked horrified when Boimler got blown up when they were on the ring planet with the faulty AI, she tried to hide it but really couldn't. She's definitely come to appreciate him if nothing else.

I went back and checked this episode again and T'Lyn is also the only one leaning in and holding the edge of the bed when Boimler is revived.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

It's not quite that moment in Insurrection with Riker and the Trill helmswoman but it's probably as close as we'll get from a cartoon Vulcan

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

thuly posted:

"And this is where we saw the Priest with an eight-pack."

Also, pretty sure if T'Lyn ever melded with Boimler he'd probably become his perfect self until it wore off.

Boimler is written as desirable because he's just insecure enough for it to be cute (and something to "fix") but you can't say he doesn't have drive and goals.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 18, 2024

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

It's been pretty clear T'Lyn has has a weird thing for Boimler since their first away mission together on the ringworld. I don't know if it's romantic, but she is definitely fascinated by him.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

she wants to know if she can pull off that hair colour

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

nine-gear crow posted:

It's been pretty clear T'Lyn has has a weird thing for Boimler since their first away mission together on the ringworld. I don't know if it's romantic, but she is definitely fascinated by him.

Boiler must be fascinating to a Vulcan - powerful emotions which trip him up and cause him a lot of pain, but he overcomes them through force of will and believing in something greater than himself.

He's almost a proto-Vulcan.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think they absolutely planted the seeds of T'Lyn having a thing for Boimler. I saw someone describe her as 'the Vulcan version of Mariner' and I think that describes why I think the character is a much better story counterpart to Boimler than actual Mariner. Boimler's self-reinforcing and escalating neurosis works better with a straight man character providing that contrasting response to the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It also sets up a good character moment for late season 5 where they can reunite with Tendi to end the season long arc and she'll see Boimlynn being overly familiar and make a comment about how she was gone for 6 months and everything has changed.