Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
So is it expected that, if you've got randos along for the ride, you should at least (try to) complete the two missions in a section to get the 4 bonus medals? I typically only have 30-45 minutes to play at a time which would make 2 rounds in a row somewhat difficult

EDIT :69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

TracerBullet posted:

So is it expected that, if you've got randos along for the ride, you should at least (try to) complete the two missions in a section to get the 4 bonus medals? I typically only have 30-45 minutes to play at a time which would make 2 rounds in a row somewhat difficult

You usually get a shorter mission with the 40 minute one. Also the 40mins is doable in way less than that, so you should be good if you start your own mission and pubbies drop in, then the second in 45 mins. The second higher medals mission will also be saved for next time, you don't have to do them in a row.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

lol their servers playing catchup gave me 60+ super samples when I logged in

thanks overloaded servers

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I said come in! posted:

I knew I should have tried to play a ton this week before the servers got bad. On the plus side I noticed that the devs fixed the trainer/cheating issue. The only real trainer that worked for Helldivers 2, threw in the towel right away with the latest update because the devs directly targeted their trainer.

I looked this up and it's very funny thank you. People who pay for trainers not being able to use their trainer for the game they also had to support the developers by legally buying is karmic democracy.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I've started compulsively standing at the front of the bridge to watch the orbital manoeuvring, love seeing the parking lot of fleet ships over busy missions.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

victrix posted:

lol their servers playing catchup gave me 60+ super samples when I logged in

thanks overloaded servers
Last night I tried to buy something with medals several times and it wasn't taking, so I restarted and it bought the thing but I ended up with more medals than before lol. No clue if it was catch-up or if it just gave me the item but I chuckled.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

RoyalScion posted:

thats why you use the impact grenades ( i am terrible at tossing impact grenades into the top holes of automaton factories)

oh god drat i didnt know this was an option. i was playing solo while everything was broken and it was taking me forever to destroy these cause i was waiting for stratagem cooldowns

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Kly posted:

oh god drat i didnt know this was an option. i was playing solo while everything was broken and it was taking me forever to destroy these cause i was waiting for stratagem cooldowns

You should also be able to throw them into the door when it opens to release a bot.

Also...auto cannon.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Diephoon posted:

These days, the best games describe their settings through item lore

To think some people want a no cape option...

this is some 40K poo poo

also god I love the weapon weight and reticule lag in this game, feels so good and meaty

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CJacobs posted:

I looked this up and it's very funny thank you. People who pay for trainers not being able to use their trainer for the game they also had to support the developers by legally buying is karmic democracy.

Yeah in the case of Helldivers 2, anyone making trainers really should not have bothered to try. It directly impacted other players that played with the user running the trainer. Multiplayer cheating of any kind is a no go area in my opinion. Plus those trainers are really difficult and time consuming to make, so it just isn’t worth the effort to make something that might then be quickly shut down, which is what happened here.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ijyt posted:

this is some 40K poo poo

also god I love the weapon weight and reticule lag in this game, feels so good and meaty

Right? This is actually the most impressive part of the game for me.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
This might be a stupid question but how does one tag individual items? Like supplies and such on the ground? I haven't found any way to do so, just general areas in the map.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

^^^ Edit: Q I think? There's a ping button.

ijyt posted:

this is some 40K poo poo

I can't think of a better example of a game showing the player in a quick and concise way WHY that shotgun is better at CQB than the LMG. It's such a simple system but so well done.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Grimnarsson posted:

This might be a stupid question but how does one tag individual items? Like supplies and such on the ground? I haven't found any way to do so, just general areas in the map.

Q or RB on a controller to spot things you're looking at

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

CainFortea posted:

You should also be able to throw them into the door when it opens to release a bot.

Also...auto cannon.

tbh I thought this was how you were supposed to destroy them, didn't notice the vents at the top for a good few minutes

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
It's funny because it's an arcade shooter that uses a lot of milsim gameplay elements pretty much verbatim, the dual reticle system with the weapon lagging behind depending on it's weight is straight up ARMA

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I love this game so much I'm just worried the devs for it are crunching super hard with how popular it's become and all the server stuff.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

explosivo posted:

Q or RB on a controller to spot things you're looking at

Q got it! Now if I ever get to try it!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This game controls exactly like MGSV down to the button assignments on mkb and i have no clue how or why they did it but it was an utterly brilliant decision. You can even barrel roll by spinning your view above and below your dude and fire while diving.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Spudd posted:

I love this game so much I'm just worried the devs for it are crunching super hard with how popular it's become and all the server stuff.

They are, but sometimes these things happen. Crunch sucks but this isn't something they foresaw. Hopefully during dev they just lived their lives and ran a normal schedule.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Kafouille posted:

It's funny because it's an arcade shooter that uses a lot of milsim gameplay elements pretty much verbatim, the dual reticle system with the weapon lagging behind depending on it's weight is straight up ARMA

was just chatting with a friend earlier that I only ever used to see stuff like this in milsim games like arma and post scriptum, didn't expect it in this game at all but it feels right at home

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Really wish devs would implement gyro controls as a standard option for this kind of game already. I can do it with steam controller configurations, but it's buggy and stops working randomly :negative:

EDIT: Or I guess it has it, but only for PS5 controllers? drat it.

Novasol fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 18, 2024

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Anyone getting a black screen on startup? I had to force quit since I was stuck on the sever connection screen for a good while. Now I can't even launch the game :(

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

ijyt posted:

was just chatting with a friend earlier that I only ever used to see stuff like this in milsim games like arma and post scriptum, didn't expect it in this game at all but it feels right at home
It was like that in the first Helldivers as well! Of course since that was isometric it was a lot less immediately visible (but still mattered a lot especially when using heavier weapons).,

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

ughhhh posted:

Anyone getting a black screen on startup? I had to force quit since I was stuck on the sever connection screen for a good while. Now I can't even launch the game :(

Restarting my PC fixed that issue for me, worth a shot.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
The gunplay and the gun sounds, their effectiveness on enemies sold me on this game instantly. Everything else is just a +

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The title screen looks nice at least, but I'm not sure why it makes my 3070 run at 87°C.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

perhaps the servers would be less on fire if there was some kind of timeout function so most ps5 users weren't permanently logged in

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Draven posted:

Restarting my PC fixed that issue for me, worth a shot.

I did this and I got in!

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

quote:

Another Message from Arrowhead @everyone
Hello Divers!
Earlier tonight we had server related issues with a concurrent player spike. This lead to some mission payouts failing, some players being kicked to their ships, or being logged out.
Our team is working around the clock to solve these issues. While we've been able to mitigate some of the causes, we are still struggling to keep up with the scaling that is needed to accommodate all our Helldivers.

Therefore we've had to cap our concurrent players to around 450,000 to further improve server stability. We will continue to work with our partners to get the ceiling raised.
If you have progression related issues, please restart the game in order for things to sync back up. Thank you for your continued patience.

/Your dedicated team over at Arrowhead :arrowhead2:

Guess I will go do something else for a bit.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Tei posted:

what1??.. I got a boring looking lady. I guess I was unlucky

That's the ship master. Failure to recognise a Ministry of Truth official is reportable misconduct

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

What a problem to have:

Let's aim for a MAX max of 120k at launch.

*nervous laughter*

poo poo....250k?

*Sweating profusely*

360k?

*Inwardly screaming*

450k?!?

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
To put that into perspective the largest ever Call of Duty release weekend managed a bit less that 490k concurrent players on Steam.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bro Dad posted:

perhaps the servers would be less on fire if there was some kind of timeout function so most ps5 users weren't permanently logged in

Didn't even consider this. Is it leaving rest mode logged in because of no timeouts?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
They need like, MMO shards. I'm on the Freedom server and my friend is on the Liberty server

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

JBP posted:

Didn't even consider this. Is it leaving rest mode logged in because of no timeouts?

sure is

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Kafouille posted:

To put that into perspective the largest ever Call of Duty release weekend managed a bit less that 490k concurrent players on Steam.

Yea, just to give some context on this.

This from a game dev company who thought they'd be doing REALLY well if they had 150k concurrent users.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
PC players, if you're getting black screens on load then try re-validating your game files because something might be hosed. I tried doing that and at least I can get to the login screen again.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

PC players, if you're getting black screens on load then try re-validating your game files because something might be hosed. I tried doing that and at least I can get to the login screen again.

I just started the game again. I don't think it's something hosed, it's just the game being weird as usual.

Can't get in tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

bandaid.friend posted:

That's the ship master. Failure to recognise a Ministry of Truth official is reportable misconduct

I want to be able to customize the NPC officers. Also the color of the hull.