Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Emzedoh posted:

No... no!

No, old is good now. It's the people of other ages who are wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

the holy poopacy posted:

It's not clear if Lady Hawthorne planned this from the start or if she just figured the real Hawthorne would be a useful meal ticket who would be easy to control. Sure, having the title and money to themselves is useful, but she's also very much a power-behind-the-throne type. Also, she couldn't really have been sure that Van Lund would play along so enthusiastically. Regardless, she's certainly not broken up that it came to this.

I always appreciate when there's some ambiguity there. Or just having the character adapt their plans on the fly

I've been reading Twig, and there's a bit near the end where the protagonist confronts two other characters after having deduced their grand overarching plan, and they're like, "well, okay, we actually had something totally different in mind, but stuff happened and hey we made it work out anyway." Whatever her original plans were, it's clear that Lady Hawthorne is adaptable

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

this would be such a great oldschool CRPG opening screen though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

By popular demand posted:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:argh:

(I like it either way :buddy:)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

So good, both of you.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Emzedoh posted:

Oh, that kind of awakening...

There's an english translation up at the internet archive: https://archive.org/details/talesfromsacchet00sacciala/page/n5/mode/2up

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Now I need a caricature 17th century Englishman rambling about the indolent youth of today and their strange eating utensils.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I think it's time
to

FISH
SIX
BILLION
CRITTLERS

i love iiiiit

By popular demand posted:

CHARACTER SELECT SCREEN
Heir: +1 to Blithering, +25% Nincompoopery. Immune to pain from shoulder-located wounds
Schemer: no penalties from failed Decency rolls
Nun: grants +20% to skill checks for nearby allies. +2 to Smouldering.
Nazrat: on character creation, set any two Attributes to 0 and the other two Attributes to maximum

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 22:53 on Feb 17, 2024

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Lunar Maladies

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Chip & Ferb is interesting to me as a time capsule because it reminds me that every old nerd/techy comic used to personify the computer, give it thought bubbles, a personality, often an antagonistic relationship with the user. Now you just don't. I have to assume a big part of that is the ubiquity of computers makes it impossible, not just because they're now background noise, but when pretty much every reader and creator has multiple computers in their home and on their person, there's less "the computer" that lives in its own room and more just "computers" in your life. But the sense that computers had personalities and identities, something the user had a relationship with is still recorded in Chip & Ferb, and I can't help but feel nostalgic for something that was lost in computer culture sometime in my life.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
What if... the car is a werewolf???

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Deep Crud, a one-shot by Mason Dickerson:

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
do you guys know of any comics with hot baddies in them

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

fritz posted:

There's an english translation up at the internet archive: https://archive.org/details/talesfromsacchet00sacciala/page/n5/mode/2up

Haha, that's very cool. Gregorius Yamada really has done his homework, huh?

Also Noddo d'Andrea licks goats.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

KennyMan666 posted:

Right then, after Round and Round we've got...
Are these comics from before the Chozo got added to Samus's backstory? There's been a lack of raised-by-bird-people jokes

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

euroshopper posted:

Yeah, Kill Six Billion Demons

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

euroshopper posted:

Trixie Slaughteraxe for President

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

euroshopper posted:

Besides Lavender Jack?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

euroshopper posted:

did CRIMEHOT get posted here :v

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

We managed to get away with Mister Boop but not in a million years is Crimehot gonna fly

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kit Walker posted:

It's your old pal, God Agog^Gog Agog

NickAlever

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Nick and Lever are 100% Royalty

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Kit Walker posted:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Precambrian posted:

Chip & Ferb is interesting to me as a time capsule because it reminds me that every old nerd/techy comic used to personify the computer, give it thought bubbles, a personality, often an antagonistic relationship with the user. Now you just don't. I have to assume a big part of that is the ubiquity of computers makes it impossible, not just because they're now background noise, but when pretty much every reader and creator has multiple computers in their home and on their person, there's less "the computer" that lives in its own room and more just "computers" in your life. But the sense that computers had personalities and identities, something the user had a relationship with is still recorded in Chip & Ferb, and I can't help but feel nostalgic for something that was lost in computer culture sometime in my life.

Yeah, good point! Remember those ubiquitous jokes about threatening the computer with a hammer until it works? And you'd think phones would be ripe for being person'd, but it simply never happened. I wonder if that is because the phone is viewed as an extension of the self, rather than an independent entity we interact with.

fritz posted:

Deep Crud, a one-shot by Mason Dickerson:

This was excellent.

Tunicate posted:

NickAlever

So many good edits the last couple of days. Thread is on fire.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Kit Walker posted:

It's true.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I think it's time
to

FISH
SIX
BILLION
CRITTLERS

Veryyyyyyyyyy good thank you

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Sweetness And Lightning Chapter 25!

A big jump today! We're going straight from the first comic of volume 5 to the last one.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Clayton by Lesle Kieu at https://leslekieu.com/index.html

(One-Shot)

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Ewwwwwwww

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Tree Bucket posted:

Yeah, good point! Remember those ubiquitous jokes about threatening the computer with a hammer until it works? And you'd think phones would be ripe for being person'd, but it simply never happened. I wonder if that is because the phone is viewed as an extension of the self, rather than an independent entity we interact with.
A thing has got to be complex enough to be temperamental, but not as complex that a hobbyist can't figure it out. We went through the same with cars. You used to be able to fix a thing. Teach it while it teaches you. Now it's all reboot, reset to factory image or rma. The bond comes from having to coax a thing into doing what you want and succeeding. Now you either don't have to or just can't. Increased reliability makes it boring and so does lack of troubleshooting options. My phone, the device, is not an extension of me in that sense. It's utterly replaceable. I use a phone, I'm not a "phone enthousiast" like I was with computers thirty years ago. That's imo why that went away.

E: 3d printers might be in this stage to get assigned personalities probably

Flipperwaldt has a new favorite as of 03:22 on Feb 18, 2024

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

One Day Outing Foreman chapter 27: Silent Message

The tension!

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Cricket, October 1973

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

cricket is great just great

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Owl at Home posted:

Cricket, October 1973

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

I really thought they were talking about sluggo the comic character lol

Either way, sluggo is lit!

E: ^

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

WHO IS MRS. PEPPERPOT
*wet smacks sound*
WHO IS MRS. PEPPERPOT

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

So many good edits lately, what's up with that?