Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The chocobo is Boco :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Literally one second after I took that shot the big flash at the back next to the Chocobo turned into one of those Goug robots. I wonder if it was the one that died next the booze.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Orbonne is the best raid in the game and, on a playable level, all three Ivalice raids are the best ones to get in ADR, bar none.

I agree with the general thought of: Ivalice could've and should've been way better then it ended up being, but I find it hard to hate it. It was ambitious, and couldn't meet its own ambition, but I'll take that over a storyline that flounders due to a lack of ambition.

The bosses all having big over the top speeches to their special moves is, I believe, a nod to FFT, where the big cool spells all had a random chance for your character to spout similar eldritch and cool sounding nonsense. Cid's specific quote that I always felt goes hard as hell is "Open your eyes to the darkness, and drown in its loveless embrace. The gods will not be watching."

Ultima's design and fight are also fantastic, and I agree again that the sort of cosmic horror nature of her as a boss is cool as hell. Especially given the game has semi-regularly cast down the idea of actual divinity and questioned the existance of such beings, having one suddenly show up felt very rad - especially since you only survive that attack because of the three four former Zodiac Braves showing up to take the brunt of her ultimate. Having her shout "I am the only god!" as she does so only adds to the cinematic nature of it. I love a fight with a lot of great spectacle, and while every fight here has a lot of spectacle, Ultima has it best of it. With Cid at second best! Just plain geniunely cool fights.

Also, commendations to the update itself, I feel you showed off a lot of the best parts of this fantastic raid!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Kerrzhe posted:

thats where those weird face birds are from!! does Vagrant Story explain what the gently caress is up with them or anything. cause what the gently caress is up with them
Not sure if there's like any Ultimania explanation but the in-game description provided is this:

Vagrant Story posted:

Birds of the Underworld feared for their unmerciful spell of death.
There's a description of the Harpy in the Encyclopaedia Eorzea III, spoiled for not being in-game and slightly redacted from future references:
Naturalists have determined that it comes from a separate lineage to the dodo. The facial pattern is thought to serve a similar function to the eye spots which can be observed in other species, making the bearer appear to be a larger and more fearsome creature.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

The seraphs will also divebomb the field, probably the most dangerous mechanic in this phase. A small moving arrow warns the raid about where they'll drop, and each one that isn't blocked will explode for massive raid-wide damage. Their third attack involves locking onto random players with a tether, which others can draw onto themselves. Whoever has it gets a damage buff for bravely distracting the baddies on behalf of their team, which is pretty neat.

This seraph is also the design for the first stage of Ultima's boss fight in the original FF Tactics.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Oh right, Construct/Worker 8 is a special unit in FFT as well (after Mustadio activates him). He only has four moves, but you'll recognise them from Ridorana: Crush, Dispose, Destroy and Compress.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Ah "Ultimate Illusion", or if you will, the final fantasy.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Ultima's Triple Triad Card has some neat info on it. But ultimately what she is is weird and special regardless and definitely eldritch and confusing.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Also, I will freely admit, I had no idea who the traitor was when I got that last cutscene because I did not talk to anyone else. I figured based on context clues he was someone on the Prima Vista but I just did not care.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Launch TG Cid was such a ballbuster, I loved it. Shame about the nerf.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Now we just need someone to explain what "Noahionto" means.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rand Brittain posted:

Now we just need someone to explain what "Noahionto" means.

I'm pretty sure it means "AoE that hits surprisingly hard for a trash mob"

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

The best I've found is that Noahionto/ノアヒオント was used by Dullahan-type enemies in FFXI, too, so it might just be a callback?
No, I don't know what it means in XI, either.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Thundarr posted:

I'm pretty sure it means "AoE that hits surprisingly hard for a trash mob"

yeah i'm pretty sure this is what it means

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Kerrzhe posted:

thats where those weird face birds are from!! does Vagrant Story explain what the gently caress is up with them or anything. cause what the gently caress is up with them

This has been touched on already but from what I recall (which is a phrase doing very heavy lifting in this instance) Vagrant Story's enemies are not usually explained so they're probably just funky little guys with human faces for bodies there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Sanguinia posted:

The later. It seems like his soul went inside the Duma when he got killed during the "rescue" of Delita's sister and it just stayed there when the stone got left behind. He didn't stick himself in there willingly like the Braves did.

Ah, okay. I was afraid that I'd missed something, but I guess I understood that more or less.

Sanguinia posted:

Now, I've about reached my limit on extracting something thematically meaningful from this mess, but let's try anyway. In Jenomis' version of the story, Ramza defeats Ultima. With this accomplished, he and Alma choose to give up their noble titles and embrace a life of freedom. They vow to travel abroad and build a new life with new friends and family. Then, they will entrust the history of Ivalice to those people, knowing it will be passed down and never forgotten, even if their homeland is lost.

When asked why he changed events instead of writing what really happened, Jeno says this:

So basically, he thought his audience would be too depressed by an ending where the hero lost and endured thousands of years inside a necklace to take another bite at the apple. Rather than leave them dissatisfied, he chose an uplifting finale so the story would stick better. But that only addresses half the question. Why have Ramza leave Ivalice? Why have him tell his story to people in distant lands?

The Doylist answer is "That's the ending of Final Fantasy Tactics that Matsuno envisioned but didn't actually write into the game."

Source.

Sanguinia posted:

At the center of this force of scientists and soldiers stands the man Kheris became in Ba'Gamnan's vision. He is Noah van Gabrath, Legatus of the IVth Legion and Imperial Viceroy of Dalmasca.

So Gabby here kinda breaks the trend I mentioned about the Legati before. He's a Final Fantasy XII character representing the Legion which, if the trend was followed, would be representing Final Fantasy IV. In which case, the guy in charge would be a reference to Golbez or Zemus or something, most likely.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 18, 2024

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Hogama posted:

The best I've found is that Noahionto/ノアヒオント was used by Dullahan-type enemies in FFXI, too, so it might just be a callback?

ノア and オン are used in programming according to my dictionary (NOR and ON) and hi/ヒ is the reading of a lot of kanji, but one that stood out was 非 for fault or error. Maybe the original is some kind of programmer joke turned into a nonsense fantasy ability name? Probably not but it’s the best I can come up with with my admittedly very questionable Japanese.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

ノアヒオント is Katakana, which is traditionally used for non-Japanese words. So it could be a word or a name from another country. No clue what though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

GilliamYaeger posted:

I have massive issues with how this storyline handles Final Fantasy Tactics's plot. Specifically, it's treatment of Ramza and Delita, and having them be all best friends here.

This is the final scene of Final Fantasy Tactics, and also the tragedy that befell Ovelia, and it should hopefully speak for itself.

The WHOLE POINT of Delita's storyline in FFT is that, after spending the entire game backstabbing his way into supreme power, his reward was a hollow life on the throne, beloved by all but ultimately loved by none, to live miserably to the end of his days as penance for his sins! It serves as a stark contrast to Ramza ending happy and free but reviled by the people for his opposition to the Church. Adding this onto that as a final note just ruins the story! Gaaaaaaaaargh! No, this isn't fanservice Matsuno, having your two protagonists make up isn't going to please anyone who played Tactics because one of them is a real bastard!

Oh yeah, that reminds me. I mentioned this to Sang the other day, but Matsuno says this ending isn't exactly how most people see it! According to him, Ovelia and Delita just stab each other non-fatally, go back to being King and Queen, and just have a strained marriage until she passes away from something unrelated to being stabbed and falling over unmoving for the rest of the game. Source.

So yeah, it's just a little bit of stabbing between marital partners... that still in no way makes Delita look like less of a sociopath. :v:

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Hogama posted:

Found this speculation on reddit:

quote:

Pauminjae
·
4 yr. ago

Hello ! I tried searching too and I found that Noah's fourth son according to apocryphal works is named "Yonto" "Ionitus" or "Yonaton". Here

This "Yonto" is credited for the invention of astrology, being a master of divination and having instructed Nimrod, the first hero after the Flood, a hunter and a symbol of rebellion. (?).

Is it far-fetched ? I don't know the context of this skill in FF XI nor why it would be used by animated armors in XIV. I can only assume a link between this character, jewish folklore and golems that are basically artificial beings, animated with magic, like our armors in the Akademia."

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Oh yeah, that reminds me. I mentioned this to Sang the other day, but Matsuno says this ending isn't exactly how most people see it! According to him, Ovelia and Delita just stab each other non-fatally, go back to being King and Queen, and just have a strained marriage until she passes away from something unrelated to being stabbed and falling over unmoving for the rest of the game. Source.

So yeah, it's just a little bit of stabbing between marital partners... that still in no way makes Delita look like less of a sociopath. :v:

Smithers, I'm beginning to think that Yasumi Matsuno was not the brilliant tactician I thought he was.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I only played FFT for the first time a couple of years ago and while I really enjoyed it I have to think a lot of people's opinions on it are formed from the time and place where it came out

Like after years of fans talking up the political intrigue and how unique the story was it was very finny to see the game tell you very directly that none of that poo poo matters and it's all a smokescreen for the Extradimensional Demon Invasion Brought To You By The Catholic Church and then proceed forward with that angle for the rest of the playtime.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Blockhouse posted:

I only played FFT for the first time a couple of years ago and while I really enjoyed it I have to think a lot of people's opinions on it are formed from the time and place where it came out

Like after years of fans talking up the political intrigue and how unique the story was it was very finny to see the game tell you very directly that none of that poo poo matters and it's all a smokescreen for the Extradimensional Demon Invasion Brought To You By The Catholic Church and then proceed forward with that angle for the rest of the playtime.

That was the part I liked about it and took as the general theme of the "Ivalice trilogy". Tactics and Vagrant Story were very much "this critical conflict going on where the history books don't care" and even though FF12 is following one of the main players on the international stage my understanding is that Ondore's memoirs that are the framing device stay focused on the politics and grand scale kingdom tactics instead of when she goes digging through ruins for magical doodads and uncovering secret history.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 18, 2024

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

The game stays political basically the whole way until you go to confront the bad guys at the end and then picks up with the capital-P Politics as soon as you finish clubbing the last boss over the head

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
If there is a story trope Matsuno does love, it is "The story going on behind the story." Tactics and FFXII both abide by this. While the story of both games concerns the War of the Lions and the Dalmascan Resistance against Archadian occupation the actual story is about Ramza's battle against the church/Vaan and Ashe dealing with the manipulations of the Occuria and learning to put aside their hatred. There's the history books and then the story that doesn't get into the history books that is just as important.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
yo it's the benediction guy

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

No matter how bad the storyline for the Ivalice raids is, the actual raids themselves are really cool.

Also the voice acting in Orbonne is real good in Japanese too.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
As probably mentioned, the attack of Ultimate Illusion is basically a synonym to... well, Final Fantasy. This isn't a one time thing since Gilgamesh has Ultimate Illusion as a ultimate attack in FFXII, Dissidia and even in this game since he does it during Battle at the Big Keep. It's also not the only thing synonym to Final Fantasy since there's also Brink of Delusion from Dissidia which was actually called Final Fantasy in the Japanese version and the person who does it hangs out at a place called Edge of Madness which is another synonym.

Anyway, I need to finish Orbonne Monastery myself.

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013
Also, with Agrias and Cid sharing lines. Essentially, three of the special classes in the game are "Swordplay" classes in FFT that get access to a set of special abilities based on swords. Agrias belongs to the Holy Knight line, which specializes in status effects and AoE. You don't get access to the Dark Knight line in the original FFT (although you do see it and the PSP version did make it accessible), but that one specialized in HP/MP drain. And there is the Temple Knight line which specializes in equipment breaking.

Late in the game, you get Cid who....has access to all 3 in a combined ability set. As people have said, this is mad broken.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also Construct 7 was not in the original release but has appeared in all rereleases.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

GilliamYaeger posted:

I have massive issues with how this storyline handles Final Fantasy Tactics's plot. Specifically, it's treatment of Ramza and Delita, and having them be all best friends here.

This is the final scene of Final Fantasy Tactics, and also the tragedy that befell Ovelia, and it should hopefully speak for itself.

The WHOLE POINT of Delita's storyline in FFT is that, after spending the entire game backstabbing his way into supreme power, his reward was a hollow life on the throne, beloved by all but ultimately loved by none, to live miserably to the end of his days as penance for his sins! It serves as a stark contrast to Ramza ending happy and free but reviled by the people for his opposition to the Church. Adding this onto that as a final note just ruins the story! Gaaaaaaaaargh! No, this isn't fanservice Matsuno, having your two protagonists make up isn't going to please anyone who played Tactics because one of them is a real bastard!

While I never played FFT, I did read the LP on Something Awful (one of the reasons I signed up) and Delita being an opportunistic bastard was what stood out to me. Rehabilitating the character is not what I was expecting. Itd be like re-writing the Star Wars OT and having 90% of Darth Vader's scenes be Sad Dad moments. Yes that's there in the original, but it isn't what fans are attracted to.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also Construct 7 was not in the original release but has appeared in all rereleases.
Not to talk even more about a different game than the LP, but Construct 7, aka Worker 7, (and its brother Construct/Worker 8) was in the original Playstation release of Final Fantasy Tactics, yes. The only characters added in War of the Lions and onward were Luso and Balthier. All the other "secret" characters was in the very first release, including Beowulf, Reis, and Cloud.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

GilliamYaeger posted:

Eh, I think it's pretty fun and treating this like a "final note" on that story is attributing way more importance to it than it warrants. like part of the way the FFT integration works here is that it goes kind of out of its way to deliberately not spoil FFT, and it does that by being taking as its premise "what if FFT happened about 20% differently?", with the conclusion "it would still be a bummer with lots of historical cover stories bc I yasumi matsuno would still be writing it". I don't think it's any kind of real commentary on FFT itself.

also it's absolutely fanservice when the sworn brothers driven apart by fate reconcile in a different timeline even if their story still ends tragically, lots of people love that. especially if one of them is a real bastard!

Valentin fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 18, 2024

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

GilliamYaeger posted:

This is the true reason I hate the alliance series storytelling -- its so bad it retroactively made FFT worse. (Unless you kicked it out of your personal canon like I did.)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Rythian posted:

Not to talk even more about a different game than the LP, but Construct 7, aka Worker 7, (and its brother Construct/Worker 8) was in the original Playstation release of Final Fantasy Tactics, yes. The only characters added in War of the Lions and onward were Luso and Balthier. All the other "secret" characters was in the very first release, including Beowulf, Reis, and Cloud.

poo poo I thought they were added in the remake. I don’t remember ever finding it. I found all the other hidden characters.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

poo poo I thought they were added in the remake. I don’t remember ever finding it. I found all the other hidden characters.

He's part of the quest chain to unlock basically all of the secret characters except Byblos, so you're probably just not remembering Worker 7 since he's pretty one-note in combat and doesn't really have any involvement the story outside of one funny cut scene

FWIW I think Ovelia surviving Delita's retaliation in the ending could make for a pretty cool sequel hook, but that game obviously is never going to be made lol

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
"Children of Hydaelyn, make it swift! You are Her only hope!" is an incredibly hype line for me to this day. I love Orbonne, and I even love the Ivalice questline, despite its many, many flaws.

A thing I think I've mentioned is that as a result of the Omega raids being what they are, where the various villains that aren't from FF6 are all envisioned as folklore, Stormblood raids are all kind of about in universe fiction, and I really like that.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 18, 2024

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Sanguinia posted:

OH, I'M SORRY. DID YOU THINK WE WERE DONE? THE DRAMATURGE NEEDS SOME WINE! YOU'RE NEVER GETTING OFF MR. MATSUNO'S WILD RIDE! NEVER! AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Hey now, you don't know how good you have it. This was once a mandatory quest and there were two additional side quests that got cut, so you don't have to do them!

I actually kinda liked those quests.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

ProfessorCirno posted:

Orbonne is the best raid in the game and, on a playable level, all three Ivalice raids are the best ones to get in ADR, bar none.
Ehh, I'll give you the second best 24 man we've seen so far, I still like Dun Scaith a touch more than Orbonne.

As someone with way too many hours in this game, the real thing that makes me groan when doing a raid for the 50th time is almost never the bosses, it's the trash. Basically every boss across all 3 Ivalice raids is fun! Though a few really suffer from ilvl scaling, the only boss that annoys me is Belias and even that is just because the untelegraphed downtimes suck. But the difference between, say, the giant hp sponges plus invuln mechs that are the Lighthouse Trash fights and the short but sweet, flavorful, mechanically interesting ones in Orbonne is night and day. (Similarly in Dun Scaith where one fight is an excuse to actually use a Ranged LB2 for once and Proto-Ultima LITERALLY EATS the old miniboss that used to be there and becomes a banger.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Speaking of which, is the Floor 150 boss of PotD supposed to be the old Dun Scaith succubus boss?