Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
What is the forum's opinion on CarMax? I'm thinking about getting a Civic Type R in the future, but dealerships wont let me test drive one. Everyone tells me to go to CarMax because I can test drive theirs. And the one near me seems to have a good one. Should I just wait until a dealership has one and skip the test drive? I know very little about CarMax and their quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's an Acura, not a Porsche. Anything truly Acura CL specific might be higher demand / lower availability but the bulk of the parts needed for day to day maintenance are going to be as cheap as they would be for a V6 Accord.

It's definitely better than a German car, but how many of those V6 accords do you still see on the road? Most have been junked due to a broken transmission, which is a very common problem on any v6 Honda of that vintage. Now, manual transmission makes it a better class of vehicle, but nowhere near is cheap to run as let's say a Honda Civic. So like I said, it's a cool project car, not something you want to rely on for day-to-day transportation.

I'm also slightly biased against it, having replaced two automatic transmissions in my 2004 odyssey before it hit 160k miles.

DildenAnders, do you want to fill out a template from the front page so we can have a better understanding of your needs?

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 16, 2024

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Travic posted:

What is the forum's opinion on CarMax? I'm thinking about getting a Civic Type R in the future, but dealerships wont let me test drive one. Everyone tells me to go to CarMax because I can test drive theirs. And the one near me seems to have a good one. Should I just wait until a dealership has one and skip the test drive? I know very little about them.

I bought an Accord from them like 5 years ago now. Process was fine, test drive the sales guy had to ride along though.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Travic posted:

What is the forum's opinion on CarMax? I'm thinking about getting a Civic Type R in the future, but dealerships wont let me test drive one. Everyone tells me to go to CarMax because I can test drive theirs. And the one near me seems to have a good one. Should I just wait until a dealership has one and skip the test drive? I know very little about CarMax and their quality.

CarMax is fine

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok cool. Here is the car. Does this seem like a good deal? They're offering it for less than a dealer would with mark-up. I love it aside from the alcantara steering wheel. Which I assume can be swapped out?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Nitrox posted:

It's definitely better than a German car, but how many of those V6 accords do you still see on the road? Most have been junked due to a broken transmission, which is a very common problem on any v6 Honda of that vintage. Now, manual transmission makes it a better class of vehicle, but nowhere near is cheap to run as let's say a Honda Civic. So like I said, it's a cool project car, not something you want to rely on for day-to-day transportation.

I'm also slightly biased against it, having replaced two automatic transmissions in my 2004 odyssey before it hit 160k miles.

DildenAnders, do you want to fill out a template from the front page so we can have a better understanding of your needs?

I'm low-level (not urgently) looking to replace my '02, 180k mile Civic as a daily driver with something ideally more fun to drive (unfortunately I would much rather a 6th-gen, but they have gotten stupid expensive if not ruined by mods). My only real qualifications are: Not-German/Chrysler level reliability/maintenance cost, manual, and sub $10k. I understand there's likely to be a good amount of deferred maintenance for anything I buy, and that I will likely not find anything as dirt cheap to run as my 20-year old Civic. Also last time I followed the template, the advice I got was mostly "lol good luck for under $10k" which is why I'm filtering the (mostly) irresponsible cars here before I take my dumbass over and fall in love with an(other) shitheap. I have no problems continuing to drive the Civic in the meantime, I'm just getting a bit bored with it.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
If the Civic isn't in dire need of replacement, I'd say hang onto it and try to continue to save up so you can have a higher budget.

Or buy something like a 10 year old Mazda3 :shrug:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Travic posted:

Ok cool. Here is the car. Does this seem like a good deal? They're offering it for less than a dealer would with mark-up. I love it aside from the alcantara steering wheel. Which I assume can be swapped out?

Swapping a steering wheel on a modern car is not cheap, but if you're paying $50k for a used Civic it's probably in the budget.

It's hard to speculate on what a good deal is for models that are going with hefty dealer markups on them, because at the point where supply ever catches up they quickly flip to being available at MSRP. That may never happen for a Type R, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nitrox posted:

Scores of them around here because with a new autobox they're good for another stupid amount of miles, and yeah, with the manual that thing is going to be near bulletproof. Also they solved the automatic/V6 combo a few years after your Odyssey, and the only J series motors known to go boom are the much newer ones with a lovely cylinder deactivation system.

Twerk from Home posted:

Swapping a steering wheel on a modern car is not cheap, but if you're paying $50k for a used Civic it's probably in the budget.

Unless Honda has done something fucky since 2013, it's not a hard job and it shouldn't be terribly expensive. Should be able to use the standard leather wheel from a lower-trim Civic for around $300 new from Honda, and I did the same job on my old CR-V in a couple hours working slowly. Could probably sell your alcantara wheel to someone to offset a good chunk of that cost too.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Travic posted:

You drive the car at CarMax and then if you like it but don't want to buy the one at CarMax because you want a new one or a blue one then you go order/buy the car where you get that option.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
CarMax is OK, I've bought from them because my car had been totaled and I needed a new vehicle relatively quickly. You won't get the best deal there but it's a relatively painless process.

Where CarMax are great is for the pre-purchase research (i.e. walking around the lot and actually physically sitting in cars) and test drives, especially if you are cross shopping different brands. It's convenient to be able to drive for example a CR-V and RAV4 and CX-5 back to back at one place. And they'll let you take a car home for a 24hr test drive, if you want to test out your kid's car seat or see if your LARPing gear fits in the trunk or whatever. And as was just mentioned, you absolutely don't have to buy from them.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok cool. Thanks. I'll head up there later today.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Man I would not buy a Type R from CarMax. CarMax is for buying commodity cars.You got no idea on the car's history and the type of person to unload a low mileage Type R to Carmax is, to put it politely, likely a loving idiot of a PO. You're not saving much money. You test drove the car at CarMax and liked it. Now go to your local Honda dealer and buy a brand new Type R from them.

edit: sounds like you did not in fact test drive the car (i kind of assumed from the alcantara wheel comment) - go test drive that car but under no circumstances should you buy it

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Man I would not buy a Type R from CarMax. CarMax is for buying commodity cars.You got no idea on the car's history and the type of person to unload a low mileage Type R to Carmax is, to put it politely, likely a loving idiot of a PO. You're not saving much money. You test drove the car at CarMax and liked it. Now go to your local Honda dealer and buy a brand new Type R from them.

edit: sounds like you did not in fact test drive the car (i kind of assumed from the alcantara wheel comment) - go test drive that car but under no circumstances should you buy it

Understood. That's kind of what I was afraid of. I saw the steering wheel on some of the pictures CarMax took of it.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

black.lion posted:

What options am I not thinking of that I should consider?

Have you looked at volvos? Seems like it's probably the most comparable to Audi.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Meh, not really agreeing a person that sells a hot car to CarMax is some sort of automatic idiot. Their offer formula is not totally stingy, and a lot of times rivals what you would get spending weeks dealing with randos for private internet sales. A lot of times I would go with selling to CarMax. Therefore I judge CarMax cars the same as any other non manufacturer dealership.

A Type R is not a Ferrari, and I like Type Rs.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 17, 2024

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's 2 types of people selling a 1 year old Type R. The first is if the OP wasn't here getting advice and buy it sight unseen after just testing a Civic and realize they can't live with the Type R-isms as a daily driver and get rid of it. The second is someone who keeps breaking it doing stupid stuff and doesn't want to keep paying for repairs in time or money.

If I know anything at all about statistics that means a 50% chance the car is going to be annoying.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
CarMax acquires its inventory from auctions. The random trade-in cars are usually sent to the auction as well, not put on to the lot. Haven't said that, 1-3 year-old cars may be put back into rotation, but their usual trade-in range is much older with higher mileage.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

zedprime posted:

There's 2 types of people selling a 1 year old Type R. The first is if the OP wasn't here getting advice and buy it sight unseen after just testing a Civic and realize they can't live with the Type R-isms as a daily driver and get rid of it. The second is someone who keeps breaking it doing stupid stuff and doesn't want to keep paying for repairs in time or money.

If I know anything at all about statistics that means a 50% chance the car is going to be annoying.

I think there's a third option for people who either thought they were going to flip it for a profit and then just needed to get money out of it, or people with automotive ADD who keep buying / selling cars. My brother fell into that second category when he had his CTR.

Also, it's a Type R, it's a tyte car it's a loving amazing car that is incredibly civilized when you want it to be. If you hid all the visual changes and left it in comfort mode, the side bolsters on the seats would be the only giveaway that it's not a regular Civic when driving it sedately.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Having automative ADD is really fun but very expensive.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

davecrazy posted:

Having automative ADD is really fun but very expensive.

Amen to that, but in our aimless lives it does give you something to work towards with a job

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
For what it's worth I just sold an inherited vehicle to CarMax and it went pretty smoothly, albeit slowly. They had a place six miles for me, whereas dealerships and carvana were further, and the quote was higher than dealership.

Main issues were in filling out small estate affidavit the way they wanted, and then my mom's will being in her married name before her divorce and the title in her maiden name. They accepted emailed copy of divorce judgment to clear that up which was nice, everything else I had was a certified copy for them. They also said if the title doesn't go through they'll ask me for more paperwork in four weeks.

I might have been able to get more money private party but the insurance policy and plates both expire end of February, and I wasn't super comfortable trying to transfer title and being paid such a large sum of money with someone who wasn't a friend/relative.

No one wanted the 4 door 19 fx4 XLT ranger sadly. Id have loved to keep it for off road fishing and camping trips in the UP but couldn't justify it overall, and my dad couldn't buy it off me because the five foot bed with topper was too small for farm use. Which stinks since he hates his f-150s height and wishes he could get another late 90s ranger with full size bed like he used to have.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Another thing to consider with Carmax is that their employees have almost unlimited access to test driving the vehicles for 24 hours. When I was buying my SHO, the 22 year old sales person had no issue listing off all the sports cars that hes thrashed around off the lot. Fortunately he didnt seem interested in the SHO but I did watch him launch it from a stop in the front parking lot, after I came back from a test drive. Not that I expect that to be a far reaching issue.

One of the best parts of Carmax is their 30 day (1,500 mile) return policy. For that reason alone Id highly consider Carmax for a used performance vehicle since you can really shake it down. Id be getting a more extensive inspection done too.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Im at a Carmax in Burbank right now and I see this 2021 civic type R in some really pretty blue color. I didnt realize they were that pricy.

Im here to try out the famously unsexy Prius 4th gen.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Woof, if only someone told me Priuses were this boring to drive.

They let me do 20 minutes in my own, they werent shotgun. I was pretty surprised. I thought the sorta deal was that theyd talk your ear off the entire drive and youd be going on some predetermined route.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
If you ask, they will let you take it home for 24 hours.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Well that was awe-inspiring. Did the test drive earlier today and yeah, that thing is fun. Wildly fun. I definitely need to look into getting one.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Travic posted:

Well that was awe-inspiring. Did the test drive earlier today and yeah, that thing is fun. Wildly fun. I definitely need to look into getting one.

Now you're in for the fun part, finding one that they won't add 5-10k markup on top of.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I have to admit, while the buying experience on this GV70 was poo poo, and there was a defect on the car (sunroof slightly misaligned, made loud noise at 70mph+) that the service department here fixed nicely, I have loved every bit of this car so far. Literally the only two complaints I have about it are the ones I heard from every Youtube review- the gear selector dial and the screen navigation dial are too similar and too close, and that it doesn't have wireless Apple Carplay. That's about it, except super finicky poo poo like "sometimes the fingerprint pad takes 2-3 times to recognize me".

I even had a G70 loaner for the day while it was in the shop (the car I originally was going to get) just so I could see if there was any selection remorse, and nope. Super duper happy I went with the SUV, despite never originally wanting one.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

buglord posted:

Woof, if only someone told me Priuses were this boring to drive.

The are the definition of driving appliance. Boring in every way including the good ones (reliability, maintenance).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No wireless CarPlay is literally a deal breaker

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I have never once considered the radio/infotainment system in a car to be a dealbreaker. I literally don't understand the concept. The aftermarket has this covered easily and it's a minor cost when talking car-level-spending.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Motronic posted:

I have never once considered the radio/infotainment system in a car to be a dealbreaker. I literally don't understand the concept. The aftermarket has this covered easily and it's a minor cost when talking car-level-spending.

I thought this prior, but CarPlay really, really has its hooks in me. If it were to be a substitute infotainment product like GM is trying to make proprietary, it better be drat near as capable or it is a serious checkmark against the vehicle.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

My point is that you can just install aftermarket airplay if that's what you want.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Id buy a car I dont have to hack aftermarket. CarPlay is more important than most other factors

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
My car came with wireless carplay and i really don't like how it's a second or two laggy to do any audio changes. I also wish the Qi charger actually worked with my phone, but I blame the dumbfucks at Apple who decided the camera needed to have a protruding bump out of the body instead of the body just being slightly thicker and flush with the camera.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Plugging in my phone for CarPlay takes two seconds and charges better and more reliably than wireless charging, and the data connection always works every time without any lag or hiccups or pairing weirdness. :shrug:

CarPlay is absolutely a game changer and requirement, but the wireless part isnt.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The only time I feel like im missing wireless carplay is if Im making a short trip. Otherwise its no problem to plug in. CarPlay itself is non-negotiable, if its not on the car I wont buy it. Ill even turn away a rental if it doesnt have it. Ive been plugging stuff into car stereos for 20-plus years. Its just part of the deal.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Wireless CarPlay is just like push to start, its a feature that means wife doesnt have to open her purse, so naturally it is a must have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Motronic posted:

My point is that you can just install aftermarket airplay if that's what you want.

The thing I have seen and heard with most of the aftermarket one is it takes 45-60 seconds after ignition for them to actually wirelessly connect. It doesnt sound like much but I have multiple friends that this really annoys them about their set up and makes them want integrated from manufacturer on next vehicle.