Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TW0
Oct 31, 2022

The figure that still lies asleep in the Fantasy

New volumetric clouds as well as shadow rendering on the distant terrain.

I was really impressed with what Red Dead Redemption II was able to achieve on the hardware it ran on. It even looks beautiful on my laptop with a 680M. Like Rockstar, I want the world to look like a landscape painting rather than reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

That looks great, man. And I love the rounded textures, they do a lot to liven things up.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

seconding the rounding

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Pixel pusher and game maker.

TW0 posted:

New volumetric clouds as well as shadow rendering on the distant terrain.

I was really impressed with what Red Dead Redemption II was able to achieve on the hardware it ran on. It even looks beautiful on my laptop with a 680M. Like Rockstar, I want the world to look like a landscape painting rather than reality.

drat this looks good!!!

TW0
Oct 31, 2022

Thanks everyone! The connected textures were causing some issues because they're stored in a texture array, and I found that some devices have a different size limit. The 680M even has a different limit in DirectX 11 and Vulkan, 2048 and 8192 respectively.

This was fixed over the weekend so a new texture array is created when the current one is full, so I should be able to add the rest of the artwork now.

Shoehead posted:

I just got done working on this asset pack I started putting together while I was waiting on people to show up for appointments in work. Some repurposed old stuff and some/alot of newer stuff for people to check out

https://shoehead.itch.io/shoes-action-adventure-tiles

These would be perfect for an 8-bit world :megaman:

TW0
Oct 31, 2022

A couple of sunrise timelapse screenshots.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

maybe clouds should be higher? i won't say theyre ruining the shots but i bet theyd look better with clouds raised or outright gone

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Can you make it like flight simulator, where it polls live weather data

TW0
Oct 31, 2022

Hadlock posted:

Can you make it like flight simulator, where it polls live weather data

Might be a bit unfair depending on where you live :)

I loved how games like Animal Crossing and Pokemon Gen 2 felt like they were in sync with real life. The game world didn't feel like it was frozen in time when you weren't playing.

However, since the time and weather are supposed to add challenge and variety to the battles, I don't want players to be stuck with the weather for a long time or make anyone feel the need to change their system clock or use a VPN to avoid it.

cumpantry posted:

maybe clouds should be higher? i won't say theyre ruining the shots but i bet theyd look better with clouds raised or outright gone

They can be changed to the flat clouds from earlier screenshots in the settings menu.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TW0 posted:

Might be a bit unfair depending on where you live :)

I loved how games like Animal Crossing and Pokemon Gen 2 felt like they were in sync with real life. The game world didn't feel like it was frozen in time when you weren't playing.

yeah i remember being awestruck when i learned that this was possible only to be smacked around by the reality that this actually makes playing games a lot worse for me :negative: first of all there's the day/night thing where it's just a real bummer to only be able to play games at "night" with dark muted colors and never being able to see the colorful nice daytime because of your real life obligations, then there's stuff like weather (yeah i live in one of those places) and then there's games like boktai (anyone remember boktai?) which require sunlight for the main game mechanic and uh..... yeah, yeah we don't have a ton of that.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Your Computer posted:

yeah i remember being awestruck when i learned that this was possible only to be smacked around by the reality that this actually makes playing games a lot worse for me :negative: first of all there's the day/night thing where it's just a real bummer to only be able to play games at "night" with dark muted colors and never being able to see the colorful nice daytime because of your real life obligations, then there's stuff like weather (yeah i live in one of those places) and then there's games like boktai (anyone remember boktai?) which require sunlight for the main game mechanic and uh..... yeah, yeah we don't have a ton of that.

having 2-4 day night cycles per day can help with the sameyness. you could also let people choose their location for weather tracking.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
An important and amusing thing that's been mentioned is unless your in-game days are pretty short for an online game it's useful to have an uneven number of game days per real days. FF14's is something like 75 minutes IIRC. That way players that can only connect at the same time of the day still get to experience different times of day.

Regarding Boktai, it somehow brought a though of Oneshot, who is dependent on the player's environment in a similar yet different way, that is, it does stuff to your files and desktop and things like that, and how they eventually got around that for the console port by adding a whole pretend-OS and desktop around it. It'd be funny to have a remaster of Boktai where you're also a first person player who has to walk around to find some sun. And then I though with that premise you could actually go full meta horror like Nanashi no Game, with vampires from the game starting to have an influence on the real game world.

In-game real weather is also a Molyneux idea, by the way, it was part of the weirder stuff he improvised promises for for Black & White. And it did get implemented, although in a summary way.

Earlier go at a similar idea was Dungeon Keeper that had a secret level on real life full moons, although that one's easier, it's just calendar math.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

leper khan posted:

having 2-4 day night cycles per day can help with the sameyness. you could also let people choose their location for weather tracking.

i thought you were talking about a sleep schedule for a moment like okay i've heard about biphasic sleep and stuff but then i read the weather tracking and i realized what an idiot i am

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm scope creeping a prototype into a collection of minigames and a limited single-player absurdist real-life sim. I was actually planning on things like bedtime -- a minigame and also a bonus if you go to bed within an hour of bedtime either way and stay asleep (don't play again) for at least 6 hours. Kinda weird stuff, but I don't have interest if it isn't esoteric.

For most of the things that sync with the real world, including day/night cycles, would the thread consider them not terribly frustrating if there were in-game options to adjust such things?

Like you can change when bedtime is supposed to be (though that won't kick in for 24 hours), or which hours constitute daylight (probably at will unless I tie mechanics to it).

Chev posted:

Earlier go at a similar idea was Dungeon Keeper that had a secret level on real life full moons, although that one's easier, it's just calendar math.

My friend and I really enjoyed Dungeon Keeper and were thrilled when we got our hands on Dungeon Keeper II. But then the first level kicked our butts -- that game was brutal.

Turns out the first time we played it was on the night of a full moon or whatever the bonus level criteria were.

Didn't find out what had gone on until years later, though we did wonder where the hard level went.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Not quite ready to show off this prototype yet but I saved a clip to double check something while testing and accidentally made some neat footage

Imgur link for flashing lights

Triarii fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 17, 2024

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
This does look really cool, but while the red light effects are only a problem up close and personal, the yellow light effect is way too bright and way too...busy? I guess you can call it?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Ah poo poo I forgot about photosensitivity

These are all just placeholder assets cobbled together from what I had lying around so ideally it all gets replaced and done properly someday

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
To be clear, the only issues I had were the red and yellow lightning-y effects. And the red was almost entirely fine, the only exception being when it was all the way up close and personal.

Yellow one stood out so much more because the whole squad spawned the effect up close and personal at the same time.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's a weird feeling when you have a problem with a mechanic not working as intended, you comb through the code, get screenshots, have written up an elaborate post for the Gamemaker forums with extensive code and commenting of said code as well as screenshots and as you're finishing up the post you realize what the problem is and are able to fix it without asking anyone.

Like, good for me, I guess?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rubber ducking is a real thing.

I literally keep one on my desk.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Make the post anyway. Instead of “help I have this problem” it’s now a “hey I had this problem and this is how I both diagnosed it and fixed it”

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KillHour posted:

Rubber ducking is a real thing.

I literally keep one on my desk.

:same:

I find calling by buddy and talking at him for 30 minutes generally gets me to a good solution

My toddler stole my rubber duck tho it's in the bathtub currently

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's a weird feeling when you have a problem with a mechanic not working as intended, you comb through the code, get screenshots, have written up an elaborate post for the Gamemaker forums with extensive code and commenting of said code as well as screenshots and as you're finishing up the post you realize what the problem is and are able to fix it without asking anyone.

Like, good for me, I guess?

From what I understand, one of the best ways to solve a problem is to try to explain it to someone else. Explaining the situation and defining the problem basically makes you go through all the steps and also include the context, and the very process makes the error in question stand out.

Alternatively when you still can't solve the problem, going through the steps can make you realize that certain aspects were not properly designed and discover that the problem is elsewhere. That's been my experience at least, the only catch being is that I have to realize I have that tool available.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Yeah, as soon as you start explaining what's going on, neurons start firing off.
You can use a cat it also works great.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If I need an idiot to explain something to I just look in the mirror

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lemming posted:

If I need an idiot to explain something to I just look in the mirror

this can help, too!

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Alternatively you can also just post here.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah verbalizing the problem literally activates different parts of your brain. Rubber ducking is real

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

:v:: "I finally finished implementing enough of a DX12 pipeline to start testing"

:ins:: D3D12 ERROR: ID3D12Device::CreatePixelShader: Shader uses interfaces, which are not supported by D3D12.

:v:: "YOU loving gently caress WHY THE gently caress DOES SHADER MODEL 5.1 EVEN SUPPORT IT THEN WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hadlock posted:

Yeah verbalizing the problem literally activates different parts of your brain.

Fun airplane fact: you know how commercial pilots have all those checklists they go through in different phases of flight? Single pilots are encouraged to do the same thing when they're flying alone, down to actually reading each item out loud like a crazy person. Part of it is routine, but a lot of it is that reading the item out loud forces you to think about it in a way that reading it and doing it doesn't.

Meanwhile, I've been scratching my head over something that feels like it has an obvious algorithm, but I'm not finding one. My game map is divided up into color-coded regions, and I'm borrowing from Paradox's book by making a single big texture that has each region's shape painted in a different color. So all my CSV needs is the hex code for its region's color, and the game can sample the texture and check it against a dictionary to see which area the player is looking at.

Basically this, except on a way smaller scale: https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2Fihb1894nv20a1.png

Where I've been sticking a bit is, how the gently caress do I calculate adjacency? It would be really, really handy to build a directed graph of each colored area and the areas next to it, but since the regions are irregularly shaped it feels like the only approach is to scan pixel-by-pixel, and check the neighbors of every pixel of c color.

Am I missing something obvious? Or is this a case where the brute force approach is also the cleanest?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Omi no Kami posted:

Fun airplane fact: you know how commercial pilots have all those checklists they go through in different phases of flight? Single pilots are encouraged to do the same thing when they're flying alone, down to actually reading each item out loud like a crazy person. Part of it is routine, but a lot of it is that reading the item out loud forces you to think about it in a way that reading it and doing it doesn't.

Count down to someone linking to the Japanese train "pointing and calling" article in 3... 2... 1...

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Brute force is the way I would do it, but you can save some work: for each pixel, just check if the pixel to its south and its east are in bounds and are a different color, and add the adjacency to your graph if so. That is, assuming you don’t need/want purely-diagonal adjacency.

e: also you only need to do this once, or once per map revision, anyway. So an inefficient approach is fine.

megane fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 18, 2024

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

megane posted:

Brute force is the way I would do it, but you can save some work: for each pixel, just check if the pixel to its south and its east are in bounds and are a different color, and add the adjacency to your graph if so. That is, assuming you don’t need/want purely-diagonal adjacency.

e: also you only need to do this once, or once per map revision, anyway. So an inefficient approach is fine.

Oh hey, that's a really clever optimization, thanks! Brute forcing it works fine, you're right... I'm trying to minimize the amount of hard-baked stuff and make it mod-friendly, but this runs well enough even brute forcing it that I can just let people drop in their own images and it'll still do the trick.

This is probably really basic RTFM, but my one snag is color encoding. To test it out I hand-painted a couple overlapping shapes in Gimp, and even though I was using a hard-edged brush and set hardness all the way up, I caught it constantly blending colors together like this:

In general, where should I be looking to lock colors? Is the key loving with the brush settings, or should I be doing something with the blending options or the xcf's palette?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

For hard pixel edges you need to use the Pencil tool, not the Paintbrush. The Paintbrush always anti-aliases like that.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

D'oh that's obvious, okay- thanks! Pencil works way better.

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Pixel pusher and game maker.

This was fun to mock-up. I've got a lot of the basic stuff done behind the curtain, too. :P

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

M_Gargantua posted:

Make the post anyway. Instead of “help I have this problem” it’s now a “hey I had this problem and this is how I both diagnosed it and fixed it”

That forum is specifically for unanswered questions I think and this thread I don’t use for stuff that’s really code specific, but to summarize:

My stealth system works by having the enemies lay down red-tint vision squares that show what they can see. If the player is on one of those squares the game “rolls” for the enemy to spot based on the player’s stealth.

What was happening was enemies were now checking when the player wasn’t on one of the red squares, but was next to one. This was because all my sprites have their origin at the top left, so I decided for LoS stuff that they should check based on the center, so instead of looking at “obj_player.x” they’d do “obj_player.x + CENTER” where CENTER is a macro that’s just half the size of each tile.

What was going wrong was the sprites’ origin isn’t defined by the origin of the canvas but by the origin (top left) of the image itself, which for the player sprite is close to top-center, so adding half the tile size meant they point they were checking was actually into the next tile.

The short term fix was to remove the “CENTER” bit for that part of the code but to keep things consistent I’m also going to do some stuff with either the sprites (maybe just put one literal pixel in the top left corner) or checking sprite width/height.

Like the CENTER thing is still useful for defining player’s LoS and for ranged weapons vs cover. And right now stealth is too good so I wanna code in the player moving slower while using it. That’ll be fun.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i was gonna make a big ol' post begging for help with a vector maths problem but rubber ducking saved the day again and as i was making the post i tried something and it worked :supaburn:

https://i.imgur.com/RRuriGs.mp4

i still have one question - does anyone know how override the physics forces to enforce a local axis lock in godot? godot lets you lock an axis on a rigidbody globally so that it can never move/rotate on that global axis and this is a godsend for making physics less wobbly (i.e. a door only rotates on one axis and moves on none) but the moment you rotate an object this breaks spectacularly since it only affects the global axis. i tried googling this and there are a couple of people who give the answer "lock the axis yourself in integrate_forces()" which is about as helpful as saying "draw the rest of the owl" when it comes to actually programming this behavior. it would be a huge boon for me to let the hinges only ever rotate the way they're supposed to!

e: okay so hear me out:

this is the dumbest thing i've ever done and it works so well lmao

https://i.imgur.com/p2JS5xt.mp4

e2: i never even said what any of this was - it's just me trying to recreate the physics interaction system from amnesia in godot. i have never used 3d physics in godot first so this is my first time :pram:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 21, 2024

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023
^^ I love the cat paw lol

I've heard Jolt is a better physics system for Godot, but either way glad to see folks in here working in it. I've been watching tutorials and teaching myself GDScript, currently working on a little gameplay prototype with the help of KennyNL's Starter Kits which were a great way for me to just get in and start messing with existing code. It's still quite a bit difficult for me to wrap my head around code, the 3d artist in me still sees it all as jumbled equations, but ChatGPT (and Godot's built in documentation) is helping me learn what things are line-by-line.

https://i.imgur.com/IkCZCQv.mp4

I've had this game idea for quite some time, 5 lanes, enemy spawners at the end. Like a mix between a rhythm game and a beat-em-up game (less emphasis on rhythm). Going to be working on some replacement assets this weekend for the character and environment to get it more in line with the style I want. Right now I'm just solving player movement, camera movement, and an enemy spawner so I can have something that's fun to play right off the rip.

It's so refreshing working in Godot, even being able to mess with this on a gamepad already is so much fun.

dopesilly fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I never got to play it but obscure Japanese PSX game Finger Flashing had a similar setup with a puzzle element tacked on -- each enemy was either Rock, Paper, or Scissors in some capacity.

Make it a puzzle / rhythm / fighting game.

But also note that Has-Been Heroes had a similar approach and it ended up being a much better game once the rhythm elements were removed; ended up being a fantastic lane-based puzzler.

Either way, lookin' juicy already!