Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Miskatonic releasing new standards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/loongkingdom/status/1758813866979742145

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

Karate Bastard posted:

Can someone help me remember something correctly?

I seem to remember a discussion on here involving phosgene and phosphine and possibly other nasty chemicals being used as precursors in chemical production, despite being essentially ww1 chemical weapons. I seem to remember the one turning into the other under this or that condition, but looking up those chemicals on wikipedia I'm thinking I must be misremembering, because they don't seem to have much in common.

I seem to remember a USCSB video making the rounds at the same time. Maybe this one that deals with phosgene, but that doesn't mention any phosphine.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Or have I just dreamed it?

Semiconductor fabs use all sorts of wonderful chemicals and gasses. Silane, Phosphine, Arsine, Diborane gas are all commonly used and want you to die and/or explode. Then you have the tanks of hydrofluoric acid that will dissolve your bones inside your body. Piranha solution for organics removal that will remove you too in short order. I know at the fab I worked with, safety was a major concern and they had gas alarms everywhere. If they went off, standard procedure was to drop everything and run as fast as you could out of the emergency exits still in your bunny suits. It meant pretty much scrapping everything in process but it was seen as a small price to pay instead of having everyone drop dead.

One OSHA story from many years ago was when a tech was working under a wet bench (think a bunch of teflon sinks with chemical baths in them). He was tightening a drain fitting when it snapped off and dumped the contents of the tank on him. He runs for the emergency shower while stripping off his cloths and screaming "Litmus, litmus, litmus". He didn't know what was in the tank he was working on and thought it might be HF. Luckily, the litmus strip showed it was not acid and was just one of the rinse tanks with DI water. If it had been the HF tank he probably would have been hosed. Not sure you can get enough calcium gluconate into you to counteract getting half your body covered in HF. The tech violated procedure by working on a filled bench but it was still a wakeup call back in the days before safety was invented.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

yeah chip fabs are scary places

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I've worked in one for about a decade now and despite all of the deadly chemicals, high voltages, plasmas and x-rays the industry is (now) incredibly safe. The number one way most workers get injured or killed?

falling through an open floor tile into the subfab 20 feet below

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Was friends with one of the lead utilities engineers at the 300mm chip fab I helped start up. He joked that they made sure to keep off site back ups of emergency plans for one of the main gas supply stations (I believe Silane) because a catastrophic tank failure had a high likelihood of causing other tanks to fail which could touch off a chain reaction with a 1/4mi "total destruction" radius.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Computer viking posted:

Phosphine is PH3 (Phosphorous with three Hydrogens) and Phosgene is COCl2 (Carbon monoxide with two Chlorines hanging off the Carbon, kind of). They have no elements in common, so whatever you're trying to remember, I don't think it's exactly that pair.

It looks like phosgene can show up on from a bunch of sources, including "heating carbon tet in air" (which is unfortunate, since it was used in both fire extinguishers and brake cleaner), and UV-induced breakdown of chloroform.

:engleft:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Phanatic posted:

..up how they wire up their shower heads …

Tell more, please, I don’t normally associate electricity with shower heads

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

https://youtu.be/06w3-l1AzFk

https://youtu.be/ZwuhFLsowRc

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Instead of having hot and cold running water, you just have cold water, and your shower head has an electric heater in it to bring the water to a comfortable temperature.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

redgubbinz posted:

I've worked in one for about a decade now and despite all of the deadly chemicals, high voltages, plasmas and x-rays the industry is (now) incredibly safe. The number one way most workers get injured or killed?

Ahh good 'ol slips trips and falls

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

it's fine if the ground connection is properly connected. otherwise you get spicy water: dont touch the metal water knob (use a towel or step out of the water) or the metal drain grating

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Fun thing about fabs and litmus paper: there are a bunch of different HF-based etches around neutral pH. Won't turn litmus acidy color but will still decalcium your blood. You won't find a more well-labeled facility than a fab that's serious about safety.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

That's an hilariously fake video, lol.

But I appreciate the effort they took to fab up the cannon. That was cool and I'd have been happy just watching it shoot fireworks or whatever.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/o13Xo7X.gifv

Imgur description says “iodine gas leak in China” with no further info. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The new pope has been chosen, and he's stylin'

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Bad Munki posted:

Found an article about it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bad Munki posted:

It's a boy and a girl! WE'RE HAVING TWINS!!!!!!!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

That's a lot of iodine

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Wow, totally communist China is so amazing, giving away free Iodine to prevent goitre.

The Indecent West can only dream.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Bad Munki posted:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA1GhMqaQao

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jabor posted:

Instead of having hot and cold running water, you just have cold water, and your shower head has an electric heater in it to bring the water to a comfortable temperature.

A warmer temperature, anyway. I’ve never used one that could heat the water to what I’d call comfortable for someone raised with proper hot running water.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Eeyo posted:

Ahh good 'ol slips trips and falls

I work for a company building semiconductor test equipment. A lot of this equipment still uses GPIB/IEEE-488 connections, a standard that was invented in the 1960s.

Many customers still prefer this over more modern interfaces like LAN, because when an operator trips over a LAN cable, they'll rip it out of the socket and potentially damage it. When they trip over those beefy GPIB cables, they may get hurt, but production will keep running.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

redgubbinz posted:

I hope that's excluding things like traffic accidents on the way to work, or I'm concerned someone may be doing a nickelodeon on you.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm guessing this would be an OSHA incident?
https://twitter.com/FordFischer/status/1757538390583452152

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

quote:

Luckily, both cops missed every shot.

Hey I can see a solution to the police shooting problem

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

By popular demand posted:

Hey I can see a solution to the police shooting problem

Deputies resort to having to shout "pew pew" after killing 6 teenagers with cap rings.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Zopotantor posted:

I work for a company building semiconductor test equipment. A lot of this equipment still uses GPIB/IEEE-488 connections, a standard that was invented in the 1960s.

Many customers still prefer this over more modern interfaces like LAN, because when an operator trips over a LAN cable, they'll rip it out of the socket and potentially damage it. When they trip over those beefy GPIB cables, they may get hurt, but production will keep running.

We still use this in my line of work too. can confirm this is one of the reasons. Lots of our in house tech was also invented in the 1960s and we've not had much reason to change.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

MrYenko posted:

A warmer temperature, anyway. I’ve never used one that could heat the water to what I’d call comfortable for someone raised with proper hot running water.

Lol

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/1YyflEY.mp4

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/8NerwQm.mp4

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

'Scuse me while I kiss the sky

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

ZincBoy posted:

Semiconductor fabs use all sorts of wonderful chemicals and gasses. Silane, Phosphine, Arsine, Diborane gas are all commonly used and want you to die and/or explode. Then you have the tanks of hydrofluoric acid that will dissolve your bones inside your body. Piranha solution for organics removal that will remove you too in short order. I know at the fab I worked with, safety was a major concern and they had gas alarms everywhere. If they went off, standard procedure was to drop everything and run as fast as you could out of the emergency exits still in your bunny suits. It meant pretty much scrapping everything in process but it was seen as a small price to pay instead of having everyone drop dead.

One OSHA story from many years ago was when a tech was working under a wet bench (think a bunch of teflon sinks with chemical baths in them). He was tightening a drain fitting when it snapped off and dumped the contents of the tank on him. He runs for the emergency shower while stripping off his cloths and screaming "Litmus, litmus, litmus". He didn't know what was in the tank he was working on and thought it might be HF. Luckily, the litmus strip showed it was not acid and was just one of the rinse tanks with DI water. If it had been the HF tank he probably would have been hosed. Not sure you can get enough calcium gluconate into you to counteract getting half your body covered in HF. The tech violated procedure by working on a filled bench but it was still a wakeup call back in the days before safety was invented.

drat. No wonder lucky got injured. And here I just be eating the poo poo out of them every weekend. I should probably start appreciating all the sacrifice that goes in to my salty snack treats.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The gently caress?

Is there one hell of a safety cable I'm not seeing?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Looks like they need some jet fuel

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

That’s a hell of a lot of kinetic energy that just…stopped.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

the guy in the excavator def had a firm grip on the seat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I remember a near miss at a fab that I worked on the accident report for. The tech was a new guy who was changing out a cartridge filter in the ultra pure water system. He had not actually been trained on this, and was taking initiative to do a little extra.
The filter is a cylinder about the diameter of a basketball and ~3-4 feet long, located at about head height and installed so just the round end is visible. Said technician didn't properly depressurize the system, and while attempting to remove it the filter shot out and missed his head by an inch or two. One of the engineers did the math on how much force it was moving with, and it was an absurd amount I can't remember. Suffice it to say, had it hit him it would have turned all his bones into confetti and would not have been survivable.