Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Get a carbon monoxide detector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

not really no, i'm about to pass out

but what did i say that wasn't accurate

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

roomtone posted:

not really no, i'm about to pass out

hard to say, as it was complete gibberish

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

very well

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Lawman 0 posted:

Can you imagine how annoying attunement would be.

possibly? but no thank you

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

roomtone posted:

Couldn’t say either way

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

What about a gay fighter

A dex based fighter trades away some killing power (since rapier is the biggest finesse weapon and only a d8) and the potential for great weapon or polearm master. In return they're a bit more survivable because they'll have a good dex save and better out of combat utility because there are actual dex based skills like stealth. With two weapon fighting they might be a little better early because they'll have an extra attack from that.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's a rather sus post so it's for the best that everybody's eyes glazed over.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

roomtone posted:

amounts of tits and rear end in bg2: 0 except pixelated
amounts of: you already know it's alot it's 4k zone in man we've got 50 dialogue options to enjoy
BUT ALSO halsin look at our showcase pics for patch 6, we foreground the gay relationships cos it's more socially acceptable to be like 'big gay bear sex' even though literally less than 10% of the playerbase are interested, it's popular: 3
your personal interest in shagging halsin: 2-0%

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

After trying and failing to ask basic questions in the Larian discord I can assure you that the player base is really interested in all of that.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

that was the weirdest post I've read in a while

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Morrow posted:

A dex based fighter trades away some killing power (since rapier is the biggest finesse weapon and only a d8) and the potential for great weapon or polearm master. In return they're a bit more survivable because they'll have a good dex save and better out of combat utility because there are actual dex based skills like stealth. With two weapon fighting they might be a little better early because they'll have an extra attack from that.

There are a couple of two-handed finesse weapons like Phalar Aluve. You don't need to exclude GWM.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I actually did the extended conversation with Priestess Gut instead of just whacking her behind a closed door and the Narrator called Gortash a handsome young man again. All I could think was "please stop calling him that".

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Let people enjoy their fan fiction generation runs in peace. Good god.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Morrow posted:

A straight fighter in 5e is pretty powerful because they are able to pull off the nova of a Paladin with action surge plus the sustained DPR of a Barbarian with their improved extra attacks. They also get so many feats you can just go and pick up more skills after finishing your build at level eight for non combat stuff. BG3 really made little change to them.

It’s the gear that they get in BG3 that tips them into god tier, more so than any class bar maybe monk.

What DM in a tabletop game is going to hand out a +3 greatsword that lets you double your strength modifier, do an extra 2d6 damage and gain advantage vs large or bigger creatures, and enlarge yourself to a giant size so you do an extra 1d6 damage (not to mention other advantages of being larger) at level 12?

not to mention by that point in the game you can have multiple items that increase your chance to crit, gloves that make all your attacks do an extra 1d6 damage (which gets compounded by the fact a fighter can attack 6 times in a round) and a necklace that also gives you an extra 1d6 damage per attack (if you’re using it on your fighter, I don’t)

And I’m not even getting into tadpole powers.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Morrow posted:

A dex fighter is probably always going to be two weapon, unless you’re dueling, in which case you’ll get a rapier that gives you an extra attack as a bonus weapon in addition to other crazy buffs. A 2 weapon figher will do more damage for most of the game than a great weapon fighter because they’re applying damage riders and their stat bonus to damage twice as often; and the game has so many different ways to add damage to your attacks. not to mention an extra weapon is an extra item with magical effects and the game goes out of its way to shower you with really good finesse weapons.

if it wasn’t for Balduran’s giantslayer I’d be tempted to say a dex based 2 weapon fighter is better the whole game.

Edit: I for one love loving my big hot bear man.

And my sweet damaged twink.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Whelp. I'd gotten through the Great Filter of Honor Mode at level 2 and 3, made it to Lenore's tower in the underdark...and said the wrong command word to Benard. His electrical legendary action wiped me out. For future reference, how do you fight him? Having Gale stand close enough to him to get zapped to death immediately didn't help.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Why are y'all fighting Bernard anyway? His weird Glaive cannot be that much of a gamechanger.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

It’s the gear that they get in BG3 that tips them into god tier, more so than any class bar maybe monk.

What DM in a tabletop game is going to hand out a +3 greatsword that lets you double your strength modifier, do an extra 2d6 damage and gain advantage vs large or bigger creatures, and enlarge yourself to a giant size so you do an extra 1d6 damage (not to mention other advantages of being larger) at level 12?

not to mention by that point in the game you can have multiple items that increase your chance to crit, gloves that make all your attacks do an extra 1d6 damage (which gets compounded by the fact a fighter can attack 6 times in a round) and a necklace that also gives you an extra 1d6 damage per attack (if you’re using it on your fighter, I don’t)

And I’m not even getting into tadpole powers.

ive given out items as strong or much stronger than these. i would never dare touch increased crit chance though. 12 is a lot of levels in tabletop and far more treasure than any of my players have been able to effectively track, plus i make identifying stuff worthwhile so sometimes if theyre lazy they dont quite know what theyre holding. my players are overpowered for their level but it balances out because they suck

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

mycot posted:

It's a rather sus post so it's for the best that everybody's eyes glazed over.

I sorta got that vibe too but I couldn't actually figure out what they were saying. Then again, I'm very tired.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Monathin posted:

Why are y'all fighting Bernard anyway? His weird Glaive cannot be that much of a gamechanger.

homophobia

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It’s been said I’m sure, but I’d give my right patella for some DLC or a straight up expansion. Raise the level cap to 14/15 and send me on some wild rear end planes traveling and epic level adventures.

That’s the one thing that I think BG2/ToB has over this game, is that you’re becoming a god in a war among gods, and it’s such a great feeling.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Larian has already talked plenty about how going above level 12 is a bad idea because D&D breaks even more past that point.

If they were to make an expansion I'd rather have them do more side content, extra companions, adding more side adventures to the existing campaign.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Monathin posted:

The loving Wizard rolled a 20 on their athletics check to shove one of the animated armors while I was talking to him about poetry.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I’m reasonably confident they’re gonna backtrack on that one. I’d be shocked if there wasn’t an expansion at this point.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Comstar posted:

Whelp. I'd gotten through the Great Filter of Honor Mode at level 2 and 3, made it to Lenore's tower in the underdark...and said the wrong command word to Benard. His electrical legendary action wiped me out. For future reference, how do you fight him? Having Gale stand close enough to him to get zapped to death immediately didn't help.

Bring the sussur flowers from the tree along with the extra at the bottom of the tower and drop them on the ground next to his friends so they can't do anything the whole fight.
Bring Glut and Bulette (long rest at the top of the tower with them in your party and Bulette will teleport in).
Command spells have a pretty good success rate on him as long as your Cleric has some sort of WIS stat (for example, to make him Drop his weapon or make him Halt so he can't get up again after Bulette knocks him prone).
Don't leave your characters standing in electrodome.
The first character that attacks him should do it from range while standing next to one of his friends so the lightning LA hits that one character...and the friend.

You can go the comedy route of knocking him out the window but I find it annoying waiting for him to come back.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I don’t think they should raise the level cap but there’s like 4 other source books full of different subclasses that would be a blast to play

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can you return to Act 1 areas after entering the Act 2 area?

If so then I'm specifically wondering if there's anything in Act 1 I save for later, like the Creche maybe, because I want to recruit Minthara as fast as possible before doing the rest of the campaign.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Can you return to Act 1 areas after entering the Act 2 area?

If so then I'm specifically wondering if there's anything in Act 1 I save for later, like the Creche maybe, because I want to recruit Minthara as fast as possible before doing the rest of the campaign.

Yes you can there's a cutoff point in act 2 you will get a warning popup for after that you can't do act 1 anymore
Going to 2 will proceed the goblins though. Also you can't bring Minthara back to act 1.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

Yes you can there's a cutoff point in act 2 you will get a warning popup for after that you can't do act 1 anymore
Going to 2 will proceed the goblins though. Also you can't bring Minthara back to act 1.

Oh right, I remember something like that now.
I'm guessing that includes both the creche and all of the underdark? I might as well just clean out all of Act 1 then, if that's the case.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

turtlecrunch posted:

Bring Glut and Bulette (long rest at the top of the tower with them in your party and Bulette will teleport in).

Gut died to the deep dwarves at the beach.

...wait...Bring Bulette?!?! I beat it off and then killed it when it came back, how do you make friends with it to burrow to the top of the tower??!? You're not talking about the Land Shark are you?

Err I probably should restart anyway. I missed the Ogre's int gear (because he was smart enough to run away!) and didn't sacrifice Whyll to BOOGAL like I should have.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 18, 2024

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Glut can reanimate it as a fungal zombie.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They made the early Act 1 Durge scene not break one's Oath?! That's loving lame.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I mean it's a scene you literally can't avoid so I think it would be a little bullshit to make it break your oath.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Monathin posted:

I mean it's a scene you literally can't avoid so I think it would be a little bullshit to make it break your oath.

You could avoid it by not playing the Dark Urge, by taking Oath of Vengeance, or just by getting your Oath back afterwards.
The game is pretty clear about what you're getting yourself into when you pick Durge and it's lame that neat interaction with Paladin.

I hate it when developers start sandpapering their game every time some baby has a feelbad.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Feb 18, 2024

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I don't really think "don't play these character options period" or "pay 1000 gold tax for an unavoidable cutscene loss of character powers" are good solutions compared to "it doesn't trigger breaking your Oath at all". Furthermore the idea that it's because "some baby had a feelbad" is pretty nonsense considering I don't think it's worked that way literally since launch.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Also even in character it is something beyond your control, you're unconsious when it happens. And before that event you were always able to resist your urges, so you have no reason to think they could puppet you around when you sleep. So why should that break your oath?

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I don’t think they should raise the level cap but there’s like 4 other source books full of different subclasses that would be a blast to play

I want a class besides wizard that has a use for intelligence.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Monathin posted:

I don't really think "don't play these character options period" or "pay 1000 gold tax for an unavoidable cutscene loss of character powers" are good solutions compared to "it doesn't trigger breaking your Oath at all". Furthermore the idea that it's because "some baby had a feelbad" is pretty nonsense considering I don't think it's worked that way literally since launch.

You're literally picking an oath that explicitly mentions not killing innocents and then a character background that explicitly mentions how they can't help themselves but kill innocents and then go full surprised pikachu face when the most predictable thing in the universe happens, crying about how a 1000 gold tax, the amount of gold you find between your couch cushions, is too much for not being able to avoid something a person with two functional brain cells could've predicted.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dragonwagon posted:

I want a class besides wizard that has a use for intelligence.

There's a joke in there somewhere about the D&D fanbase and Intelligence being the most useless stat in D&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Jack Trades posted:

You're literally picking an oath that explicitly mentions not killing innocents and then a character background that explicitly mentions how they can't help themselves but kill innocents and then go full surprised pikachu face when the most predictable thing in the universe happens, crying about how a 1000 gold tax, the amount of gold you find between your couch cushions, is too much for not being able to avoid something a person with two functional brain cells could've predicted.

It's not about 1000 gold being hard to acquire, the idea that you can lose your powers for something literally not in your control, both from a gameplay and storytelling standpoint, is obviously something they're not going to do. It's not like it's hard to break your oath consciously as a Durge in the first 10 minutes of the game anyway, there's no point shooting yourself in the foot, as a dev, by making it so a character loses their powers by a something completely out of their control. It would feel lovely and unfair to the majority of the userbase, and with good reason!

That said you are clearly an insufferable main character style poster so I'm not engaging in this debate further.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Feb 18, 2024