Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Lord_Magmar posted:

Faust doesn't describe herself as a Genius though, in fact she says "only Yi Sang is a Genius amongst us" at one point.

Faust is the most learned, but Natural-Born Genius is not the same thing as most learned. It is in fact about your "natural talent".

The exact opposite dude, Yi Sang is the one who's merely talented, talent doesn't adequately describe Faust, genius does.

https://retcons.github.io/limbus-storylogs/chapters/chapter4.html
Here, search genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

RandomReader posted:

The exact opposite dude, Yi Sang is the one who's merely talented, talent doesn't adequately describe Faust, genius does.

https://retcons.github.io/limbus-storylogs/chapters/chapter4.html
Here, search genius.

Huh, fair enough I apologise. I misremembered and had that incorrect memory supported by a quick search through the subreddit and other places.

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.

GilliamYaeger posted:

If you wanted me to think, If you wanted me to live, and If you want us to pretend like we're civilized humans as lines I can't easily attribute to Faust, Heathcliff and Rodya respectively.

I cant really say why for sure, but "if you want us to pretend like we're civilized humans" I think works for rodion.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yi Sang's quote when he was introduced in PVs was also "Have you heard about the taxidermed genius?"

That said, while I agree those lines in IHWL do repressent the sinners overall the lines are clearly meant to be continuations of the previous chorus:

If you wanted me to speak -> Why'd you'd make my voice stutter?
If you wanted me to think -> Why do truths never matter?
If you wanted me to carry on our dreams -> Why'd you curse me with "You're a natural born genius"?

And personally I feel the song is overall Dante's theme, it talks about a "forbidden fruit" and tree imagery (like a certain woman whose nerves became a "tree" and it's a duet where one singer says the other became the "me whom he despised (so pre-amnesia and post-amnesia Dante?). Not to mention the clock motifs and talks about inferno.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I have partied too hard and am at 29 turns going into the peqod branch.

I'm literally going to have to spend 30 turns farming peqod town to get back on track, why am I like this. :negative:

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Yi Sang's quote when he was introduced in PVs was also "Have you heard about the taxidermed genius?"

That said, while I agree those lines in IHWL do repressent the sinners overall the lines are clearly meant to be continuations of the previous chorus:

If you wanted me to carry on our dreams -> Why'd you curse me with "You're a natural born genius"?

And personally I feel the song is overall Dante's theme, it talks about a "forbidden fruit" and tree imagery (like a certain woman whose nerves became a "tree" and it's a duet where one singer says the other became the "me whom he despised (so pre-amnesia and post-amnesia Dante?). Not to mention the clock motifs and talks about inferno.
Yeah the song is 100% being sung by either Dante alone, or Dante and Beatrice/Carmen.

Also, more lyrical analysis...

quote:

I walked down a path
Leading to the past
Timeloop :tinfoil:

Dante's returning to a site of major importance before the game began? Or, possibly, in the endgame of Inferno?

quote:

Stole from the tree's hands
A regretter's friend, the forbidden fruit
I bite off the skin
Chewing on its tender flesh
Quaff down its lukewarm pus
You've became the "Me" who you despised
We've swallowed the time, let us rewind
If the tree in this case is Carmen, Dante stole something from her? And was in the process of "devouring" it when the Beast Squad interrupted them? EGO, perhaps...? Or maybe it's talking about stealing the Golden Boughs.

The bit about becoming the me who you despised and "let us rewind" makes me think that the amnesia was intentional, like how Ayin erased himself to become a better person. Or Dante, at the end of Inferno, isn't proud of who he's become.

Alternatively, timeloop :tinfoil:

quote:

Each loop we live through (each loop we live through)
The standards inside me
The line I drew for me
Lowers to the earth

Timeloop :tinfoil:

Another similarity to Ayin? This isn't the first time he's wiped his own memory? And each time he does it, Dante's moral standards drop further and further. Alternatively each Canto sees Dante compromising his morals more and more.

quote:

Endless inferno (Inferno)
Counter-clock we rose
Counter-clock we reload
No seriously, this song is screaming timeloop!

quote:

Tick, tick, tock
Replayed thoughts
Forget me not
I'm inside the empathic light
Dante personally knows someone inside the Light that he shouldn't forget. Carmen or Ayin? I'm still of the firm belief that Dante is Ayin, and in that case this is Carmen

quote:

I bite off your skin
Exposing the angels on your ribs
They stare at us
"Hello, how may I help you today?"
"Please, a one-way ticket to heaven"
I have no idea. If the previous bit is talking about Carmen, this refers to Dante absorbing the Boughs, maybe...?

quote:

Buckled up on velvet seats
Sceneries were passing by
Not so different from our hell
Not so different from our home
Obviously talking about the bus. it's a timeloop, Dante is Ayin, he's making a direct comparison between looping on the bus and looping in L Corp :tinfoil:

quote:

Then I realized someone's heaven
Could be the source of my torment
Life's allowing yourself
Allowing yourself to step on fire (life is to consume)
(Life is to become food for each other, no matter evil or good) Shed tears on bloodied routes
(Life is fairness, life is inequality, life is in the motion) Eternally in hell we live
By default!
Dante makes some kind of core philosophical realisation. Probably what he's passing onto the Sinners.

quote:

Each loop we die through (each loop we die through)
The justice inside me
The ego fending me
Rationalize my sin
it's a good damned timeloop Dante's head is probably EGO. "Justice" in this case is an interesting word, since in LobCorp it was a personality trait that enhanced EGO comparability. Dante probably did something hosed up in the past one sin and hundreds of good deeds

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

IHWL pretty much revolves entirely around Dante and the differences between who they used to be and who they are now

the first part of the song is a lot more violent while the second is more innocent and inquisitive, to use an example. I don't think it represents the sinners overall since they all get their own songs when their bosses come up.

imo it isn't a time loop, it's the sinners dying and being reborn and the agony Dante feels each time this happens. Dante trying to make sense of this hell they've been suddenly thrust into is the crux of the whole song. The first part about looping(likely pre-amnesia) talks about how Dante values human life less and less the more this happens, while the second seems to imply the opposite is happening now

also most importantly time loops are lame

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 17, 2024

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
I also have this theory that Dante was in Dieci and they used their technique of erasing their entire memory to gain power to boot up the clock, leading to the Dante we see in the Prologue/Canto 1. Then again, we could consider Sinner to be in a timeloop since death doesn't matter (But their action does, which depart from the usual timeloop shenanigans)

TeeQueue posted:

I have partied too hard and am at 29 turns going into the peqod branch.

I'm literally going to have to spend 30 turns farming peqod town to get back on track, why am I like this. :negative:

I still can't beat that drat moth! Ardor Blooming bosom is such a bs ability, like, why does it gain +6/+10 clash power? The most powerful EGO with a +1 strenght can't reliably beat it!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

L.U.I.G.I posted:

I also have this theory that Dante was in Dieci and they used their technique of erasing their entire memory to gain power to boot up the clock, leading to the Dante we see in the Prologue/Canto 1. Then again, we could consider Sinner to be in a timeloop since death doesn't matter (But their action does, which depart from the usual timeloop shenanigans)

I still can't beat that drat moth! Ardor Blooming bosom is such a bs ability, like, why does it gain +6/+10 clash power? The most powerful EGO with a +1 strenght can't reliably beat it!

I just finished writing up the moth's section in my guide last night, but basically:

The moth uses ABS every 3rd turn.
The amount of Ember the moth has powers up ABS.
Break the wings the turn before the ABS turn to clear the moth's Ember and make ABS an easy clash.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

Quackles posted:

I just finished writing up the moth's section in my guide last night, but basically:

The moth uses ABS every 3rd turn.
The amount of Ember the moth has powers up ABS.
Break the wings the turn before the ABS turn to clear the moth's Ember and make ABS an easy clash.

If you can, on turn 2 do "paralyze next turn" so you can make the Clash even easier.

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.

L.U.I.G.I posted:

hm... no, i didnt get the vibes that the information loss was part of dante's plan

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
The Moth is dead; Long Live the Moth!

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
I did wonder at the game's subtitle "Face the Sin, Save the EGO". Now, we say they are sinners but what exactly were their sins? For the most part, they seemed to have all gotten caught up in someone else's bullshit... except Rodya. Or it could be their sins, Sinclair's boasting, Rodya's murder, but then what sin did Ishmael, Yi Sang, and Gregor commit?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
That's why they're called "circles" of Hell.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

That's why they're called "circles" of Hell.
Hell is a flat circle.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
As for the song relating to Dante... well, specifically the line "why do deaths end my torture" doesn't apply at all. The pain and deaths of his companions causes Dante a lot of misery even putting aside the fact that he got attached to them.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

KobunFan posted:

I did wonder at the game's subtitle "Face the Sin, Save the EGO". Now, we say they are sinners but what exactly were their sins? For the most part, they seemed to have all gotten caught up in someone else's bullshit... except Rodya. Or it could be their sins, Sinclair's boasting, Rodya's murder, but then what sin did Ishmael, Yi Sang, and Gregor commit?

Ishmael is Wrath/Gloom. She stood by instead of taking a stand against Ahab and then devoted herself to hunting Ahab instead of moving on.

Yi Sang is quite clearly Sloth. He allowed himself to atrophy and decay rather than actively work towards better.

Gregor gluttonously ate whatever was placed in front of him rather than think critically about his world and reality.

But also whether they were sinful or not is probably meant to be in question for thematic reasons. I would however take a look at their base EGO sin type and costs to get a guess at their sins.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 18, 2024

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
Finally beat RR 3 under 100 turns. Clocked in at 86.

In an odd display, Seven Assoc Faust did the most damage overall.

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023

L.U.I.G.I posted:

See, I don't think that's true. The start of Lament has some very obvious imagery—stealing the 'regretter's friend'(fruit) from the 'tree's hands'(Carmen), he 'swallowed time' and gained his clockface powers. This was clearly in service to a greater plan probably involving his 'star', but the act of eating the fruit caused his memory loss and semi-distortion/E.G.O awakening, "becoming the 'me' you despised". I have a pet theory from this that Dante's old self was actually a prominent Wing employee who had significant beef with the release of the Light, but that feels a bit too much like a Roland retread.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Refraction Railway Guide

I have been there and back and lived to tell the tale, beating the Railway with 92 turns on the clock.

Here's what you'll encounter - and how to get through it.

Road Map
  1. Porous Hand Mermaids
  2. Dream-Devouring Siltcurrent
  3. Drenched Gossypium
  4. Rest Stop
  5. Ambling Pearl
  6. Skin Prophet
  7. Ardor Blossom Moth
  8. Rest Stop
  9. Pallid Enemies
  10. Ahab and Co.
  11. Gasharpoon
  12. Rest Stop
  13. Spiral of Contempt

Refraction Railway 3 has 13 stages - 10 combat stages and 3 rest stops. You bring a team of all 12 sinners, and pick 6 to fight in each stage. At rest stops, your Sinners will be fully healed, and any with negative SP will have their SP reset to 0. You can freely swap out your Sinners' identities at rest stops; this will not reset their SP either.

Once you have completed at least one stage, you can rewind to any past stage you completed (including rest stops) and redo it. If you do this (including changing your team at a rest stop), all your progress past that point will be undone.

Generally speaking, almost no one in the railway attacks with Slash. The most important resistance is Pierce Resistance, followed by Blunt Resistance - bosses usually hit with one or the other. You will also want to make sure to pack a few healers (Fluid Sac, Pursuance), as well - you'll need them later on.

LEG 1
For the first leg of the railway, I suggest bringing Identities with Pierce Resistance, to make the last fight (Drenched Gossypium) easier overall. For attackers, Pierce (for Siltcurrent) and Slash (for Gossypium) are favored. I also suggest bringing Warp Don specifically if you have her, because she is one of the only non-EGO ways to get a guaranteed clash on Siltcurrent's Blind Obsession (see the list in Siltcurrent's section for other alternatives).

1. Porous Hand Mermaids
First wave: 6 Lv. 38 Mermaids
Second wave: 2 Lv. 38 Mermaids, 2 Lv. 38 Soldier Mermaids

Mermaids and Soldier Mermaids are Weak to Pierce, Wrath, and Pride. Mermaids Endure Gloom, and it's Ineffective against Soldier Mermaids.
Common attack elements: Gloom Pierce, Pride Pierce/Slash

Notable attacks:
Shrieking Waves - Gloom Pierce, 12-16. Only used by Soldier Mermaids. Inflicts Sinking Deluge on hit, so take care that you win when clashing this one.

This fight is a warm-up, basically. All the Mermaids (including the Soldier Mermaids) have a passive where when one dies, other Mermaids in the wave take 10 damage. The passive says they gain 2 Damage Up, but they actually gain 2 Attack Power Up instead, so be careful when clashing! However, you can also use this to your advantage by forcing other mermaids closer to being staggered.

Apart from that, clash everything and you'll be fine.

My Best: 7 Turns

2. Dream-Devouring Siltcurrent and Friends
First wave: 6 Lv. 40 Thousand Strands Mermaids
Second wave: Lv. 40 Dream-Devouring Siltcurrent (+ Flotsam).

Thousand Strands Mermaids are Weak to Pierce, Slash, and Sloth, though they're more weak to Pierce. The mermaids Endure Gloom. Blunt damage is Ineffective.
Mermaid attack elements: Gloom Blunt/Pierce, Gluttony Blunt

Mermaids have a passive where, when one is killed, the unit that attacked it last loses 10 SP. Apart from that, this is a warm-up phase.

Siltcurrent's Body is Weak to Envy, and Endures Gluttony. Lust and Gloom are ineffective.
Siltcurrent's Fluorescence has the same resistances as its body, except it is also Weak to Pierce and Sloth.
The Flotsam Siltcurrent summons takes Fatal damage from all of Slash, Pierce, and Blunt. It is Weak to Envy and Sloth, and endures Gloom.
Common Siltcurrent attack elements: Sloth Blunt, Pride Pierce

Notable attacks:
Sweep - Pride Pierce, 4-8-8-12. Fairly unremarkable, but creates Flotsam - if you see this, you can expect Blind Obsession next turn. Plan accordingly.
Blind Obsession - Pride Blunt, [15-17-19-21-23]. The one and only. The first three hits inflict Sinking Count, and Sinking on a Heads Hit. The last hit inflicts Sinking Deluge - if you get hit by this attack it will probably kill you, so, don't!
• If you win the clash with this attack, Siltcurrent's Fluorescence loses 1/3 of its HP. Siltcurrent also gains 1 stack of Blind Obsession (the status) - once it gets 3 stacks, it will be staggered.
Wayward Blind Obsession - Pride Blunt, only targets Destroyed Flotsam. Siltcurrent's Fluorescence loses 1/3 of its HP and gains 1 stack of Blind Obsession. Clears away the Destroyed Flotsam it hits.

In the Canto V dungeon, you get a heal right after you fight Siltcurrent. In the Mirror Dungeon, it's the boss of the final floor, so you can play as recklessly as you want knowing that the delve will be over afterwards.
Here, you get no such luxury - and Siltcurrent also gets one extra action per turn compared to either place.

As usual, Siltcurrent will use Crashing Siltcurrent on the first turn, putting everything underwater and hitting all Sinners with a stack of Paralyze every round. Then it starts summoning Flotsams. Whenever there is at least one summoned Flotsam on screen (and no Destroyed Flotsam), Siltcurrent will queue up Blind Obsession.

Dealing With Blind Obsession

So that's the primary pain point of the fight - winning a clash with Blind Obsession, without anyone dying, while Paralyzed.

The way you're "supposed" to deal with Blind Obsession is to destroy the Flotsam on screen. While a Destroyed Flotsam exists, Siltcurrent will use Wayward Blind Obsession instead, which clears away Destroyed Flotsam and gives you some breathing room. However, this won't help you against its initial attack. It also doesn't help that Flotsam can only be damaged by hits that deal 12 HP damage or more at once. Try and hit it with Envy and Sloth attacks to get rid of it faster.

If you are in a pinch and there's no Destroyed Flotsam to hand, though, you'll need to clash it and win, while under 1 stack of Paralyze. You have a number of options:

• Warp Don [guaranteed]: Rip Space, when fully charged, hits a 25 with four coins active. This will beat the first clash, and for all subsequent ones the Paralyze will be gone.
  • R Heathcliff: If Heath hits 6+ Speed, Quick Suppression will hit a 19 on the first clash with Paralyze, and a 23 thereafter. That's a 2/3 chance to beat Siltcurrent's roll, counting a reroll (tied 19s) as falling in Heath's favor. You can guarantee the speed boost by casting Yi Sang's Crow's Eye View the turn before.
  • Pequod Heathcliff: If you can line up a 6-chain of Envy Absolute Resonance on cue, Sever Knot will hit a 20 with Paralyze, and a 25 after the first clash, which gives a good chance to win overall.
  • R Ishmael: If you have 8 Charge, Mind Whip hits a 20 with Paralyze and a 26 after the first clash. Your chances are similar to Pequod Heathcliff.
  • Grippy Sinclair: Self-Destructive Purge should win the first clash assuming Sinclair rolls all tails. Past that, it's risky, as a single heads flip will leave Sinclair clashing with an 18, but he always has the chance to roll his maximum (30) until it's all over.
  • Molar Outis: If you have 10 Tremor Count, Daring Decision will hit a 19 on the first clash (with one coin Paralyzed). The same probabilities as for R Heath.
  • EGOs with a minimum of 23 [guaranteed]: Mersault's Screwloose Wallop, Meursault and Rodya's Pursuance, and Outis's Sunshower are all guaranteed to beat Blind Obsession every time, even while paralyzed.
  • EGOs with a minimum of 19-20: Who likes gambling? There are numerous EGOs where there's a chance to win the clash with Siltcurrent as long as it rolls low. Every character except Sinclair has at least one EGO that has a minimum coin value between 19-22, and often multiple. Maybe "the odyssey had a purpose" after all...
  • EGOs with negative coins: Heathcliff's Telepole, Ishmael's Roseate Desire, Rodya's Fourth Match Flame, and Sinclair's Impending Day and 9:2 all have negative coins, so their values are larger while Paralyzed. However, Roseate Desire and 9:2 are risky, as a heads hit after the first will lose the Clash for sure. The others have a chance to lose after the first hit.
  • Chains of Others Strategy: If you use Meursault's Chains of Others the turn before Blind Obsession comes out (i.e. as soon as you see Sweep), the clash power of Blind Obsession will go from a punishing [15-17-19-21-23], to a more reasonable [10-12-14-16-18]. From there, you can clash it with most EGOs, and maybe even some regular attacks.
    Be sure to hit the correct part if you're using this strategy. I think Siltcurrent will launch Blind Obsession from its body by default, but it can also launch it from its Fluorescence part, according to the abnormality log.
  • Last Resort - Overclock: Numerous EGOs have minus coins on their Corrosions. If all else fails - and the random targeting lines up - you might be able to set up a clash between an Overclocked skill and Blind Obsession.

After you've clashed the first Blind Obsession, you should be able to destroy the Flotsams to not have to do it again. You might have to ignore some of Siltcurrent's normal attacks to ensure you get the kill on the Flotsams properly. Alternately, you can try to dump extra damage into Siltcurrent's Fluorescence to try and break it early, or see if you can clash Blind Obsession more than once!

Once the Fluorescence part breaks, Siltcurrent will get the Paralyze for the rest of the battle, not you. At this point, the pressure is off and you can focus on clashing attacks and beating down Siltcurrent - just be sure to give future castings of Blind Obsession the respect they properly deserve! They can still hit a 21 with Paralyze, or a 23 on a reroll.

My Best: 9 Turns

3. Drenched Gossypium
...we're going to have an interesting time in Canto VI, aren't we?
Lv. 42 Drenched Gossypium

Weak to Slash, Wrath, and Pride. Blunt and Gluttony are Ineffective; Lust is extremely Ineffective (0.2x), so be careful!
Attack elements: Pierce, Lust, Gluttony, Wrath

Notable attacks:
Scattering Wind: Evade. Mostly notable because On Evade, it inflicts 3 Bleed and 1 Bleed Count, so use a big attack to break it.
Draining Roots: Wrath Pierce. Unclashable. Deals damage, and heals the flower if the target has any Gossypium. Despite the Unclashable tag, you can draw this off with a defensive skill, like an Evade or Guard.
Flourishing Gossypium: Wrath Pierce, 7-11-11-15 (+5, maybe). AoE - 5 slots. This attack is the first of a series of three nasty AoEs that get a boost if their primary target has the most Bleed at the time the attack goes off. Flourishing Gossypium gets a +5 bonus if the condition is hit. All three attacks inflict lots of Bleed and damage, so... don't get hit!
Scattering Gossypium: Gluttony Pierce, 10-14-14-18 (+5, maybe). AoE - 5 slots. The second of the three AoEs - slightly bigger than the last one, but with the same initial condition and bonus (+5 if the target has the most Bleed at the start of the clash).
Scattering Red-Stained Gossypium: Gluttony Pierce, 10-14-14-18 (+10, maybe). AoE - 5 slots. The third of three AoEs, and the worst one. Now the conditional bonus has gone up to +10. It only uses this at the end of the fight, though - you're almost there!

This fight is about keeping as much Bleed off of you as possible, while also stopping White Gossypium from healing away the damage you deal to it. The flower has two passives in particular that greatly change the dynamics of the fight.

The first passive heals the flower whenever it hits someone with Bleed, for as much HP as the target has Bleed. (This is another reason to avoid getting lots of Bleed on your sinners.)

The second passive might be a little bit familiar: You can't be Staggered! All the way, anyway. When a Sinner is Staggered, they are unstaggered after the enemy turn, then stuck with a large chunk of bleed and 2 Attack Down next turn. Ironic, huh?

By default, White Gossypium will use two basic attacks, Gossypium Planting (Lust) and Wound Planting (Gluttony). Neither is particularly threatening, but clashing with Gossypium Planting inflicts you with a status called 'Gossypium'. You want to spread this status out as much as you possibly can.

On the third turn, the flower will turn red, entering a mode known as 'Red-Stained Gossypium'. At the start of every turn, Sinners with Gossypium will gain half as much Bleed and Bleed Count, rounded down. Additionally, all of the flower's attacks gain Clash Power versus Gossypium-afflicted Sinners (also by half their Gossypium rounded down). Spreading your Gossypium stacks now becomes critical.

While the flower is red, it will continue to use Gossypium Planting and Wound Planting. However, it will also cast one of Flourishing Gossypium or Scattering Gossypium each turn. These AoEs are very similar - both will gain 5 Clash Power if, when the Clash starts, the targeted Sinner has the most Bleed of everyone on your side of the field. You absolutely do not want to get hit with these attacks - do whatever you have to to win the clash, and remember that the prediction does not factor in the +5 bonus.

The flower will cast Draining Roots twice a turn while red, as well. This unclashable attack heals the flower if it hits a Sinner with Gossypium. The best way to deal with Draining Roots is to draw it off with a strong Evade, or with a Guard from a Sinner that has no Gossypium as a second choice.

Be sure to also watch out for the Evade that the Gossypium uses during this phase, as it can rack up the Bleed on a Sinner if it dodges an attack multiple times.

On the turn the Gossypium uses Scattering Gossypium, a check will start. The check in this fight is a Lust Disadvantage check, so you're trying to roll low - the check is more lenient for Sinners with Lust attacks. If you beat it, it strips all your Gossypium. If you fail, you take damage. Either way, after that turn, the flower will leave its red state and the cycle will begin again... normally.

After you break the main body of the Gossypium, the Gossypium on your Sinners will be halved, the flower will enter a final, permanent red state instead. (This does bring back all of the effects of the prior red state, including getting bleed every turn, etc.)

While in the 'last resort' red state, Gossypium will use its final trick: Scattering Red-Stained Gossypium. This is a variant of Scattering Gossypium that gains +10 instead of +5. It will use both this and Draining Roots twice a turn. This is the final exam - if your team can clash with Scattering (Pursuance works wonders) and draw off Draining Roots, you'll probably be able to win in a turn or two. If the flower gets a chance to heal, though, you might be in trouble.

If all else fails, remember a Rest Stop is just ahead, so playing recklessly is fine - you'll be able to bring everyone back to life soon. Good luck!

My Best: 8 turns

LEG 2

4. Rest Stop

You can swap out your team here. Remember that identities you swap in will keep the SP the previous ones had - very handy.

For the next leg of the Railway, you would be well served to bring strong Slash attackers, as two of the bosses are weak to Slash (including Ardor Blossom Moth, the biggest threat). I also recommend bringing one or two people who can definitely clash Ardor Blossom Star (see list in Ardor Blossom Moth's section).

5. Ambling Pearl
Lv. 43 Ambling Pearl (+ Green Slime).

Absolutely everything is Ineffective on the Shell. It keeps these resistances while Staggered.
The Pearl is Weak to Blunt, Sloth, and Gluttony. When Staggered, these resistances drastically decrease.
Green Slime is Weak to Wrath and Gloom.

Common attack elements: [Shell] Gluttony Blunt, [Pearl] Gluttony Pierce

Notable attacks:
Predation: This attack isn't aimed at you, but at the spawned Green Slime. Do not let it hit or you'll be in deep trouble - kill the targeted Green Slime before Ambling Pearl can eat it.
Effervescent Green Slime: Envy Pierce, 15-25, AoE - (5 + Green Slime) slots. This attack inflicts lots of nasty effects, and also recharges Ambling Pearl's Green Slime status counter. However, Ambling Pearl only uses it the turn after eating Green Slime.

Your goal in this fight is to Stagger Ambling Pearl so you can pour damage on it. The way to stagger it involves how many stacks it has of a status known as Green Slime.

Ambling Pearl starts the fight with 10 Green Slime stacks. Each time it uses one of its normal attacks, it loses a stack of Green Slime. This also summons a Green Slime enemy, which doesn't attack, but inflicts a bit of poison on your characters. (At most three Green Slime can be on the field at once.)

Once Green Slime are present, Ambling Pearl will try to eat them with Predation. Be sure you kill any targeted Slime before Ambling Pearl can get to them - if a slime is eaten, it will recharge Ambling Pearl's Green Slime stacks and cause the Pearl to try and fire off Effervescent Green Slime next turn.

Generally speaking, if Ambling Pearl's normal attacks do not inflict Paralyze or Larva (or would Stagger the target or something equally detrimental), I recommend ignoring them and focusing damage on the Pearl part, or any Green Slime Ambling Pearl is about to eat. With luck, you should be able to drain enough Green Slime stacks that you stagger Ambling Pearl by turn 3 or 4.

Once the Pearl is staggered, focus on it! This is your opportunity to inflict lots of damage. You should be able to take off most of its HP in its first 'cycle'. Then you can aim for the pearl in the final turns and KO it.

As long as you keep your HP up (watch what poison damage will do) and keep the Green Slime contained, this battle should be fairly easy.

My Best: 5 turns

6. Skin Prophet
Lv. 44 Skin Prophet and 5 Candles.

Skin Prophet (when vulnerable) takes Fatal damage from Gloom, is Weak to Slash, Gluttony, and Pride. Endures Wrath, and Pierce and Lust are Ineffective.
Candles have the same sin resistances as Skin Prophet, but they take Normal damage from all of Slash, Blunt, and Pierce.

Attack elements: Wrath, Lust, Blunt, Pierce

Notable attacks:
9:2: Wrath Blunt, 20-16-16-12. AoE - 7 slots. Resets candles. Don't get hit by this.
6:5: A single-target variant of 9:2 where Skin Prophet takes damage and is staggered, instead. Unclashable.

Skin Prophet uses a 3-part pattern. While its candles are unlit, it will use unclashable attacks and Counters, while having increased resistance to everything. Your priority in this phase should be to light the candles by reducing their HP to 1 - AoE EGOs can help, here, especially Fluid Sac.

Once the candles are lit, the second phase will start. This phase lasts for one turn. In it, Skin Prophet will lose his resistance and use normal attacks, while the candles use counters. If you attack a candle, they gain 20 Shield; after that Shield is depleted, they are snuffled out. Candles are considered to be broken abnormality parts in this state, and so take double damage.

The third phase depends on what happened during the second. It also lasts one turn. Normally, in this phase, Skin Prophet will use a number of attacks, as well as 9:2, a strong AoE that you'll need to clash if you don't want your part to eat a large amount of poo poo. Note that if you successfully clash this attack, whoever clashes it will be struck with 10 Burn.

However, if you put all the candles out during the second phase, Skin Prophet will use 6:5 instead. This unclashable attack will damage and Stagger the Prophet, instead, despite its targeting arrow pointing at one of your Sinners.
Either way, at the end of the turn, the candles' HP will refill and the first phase will start again. If 6:5 was used, Skin Prophet will be Staggered; otherwise, he will regain his resistance.

Skin Prophet poses little threat to your party as long as you can clash 9:2 or put out all the candles in one turn. You basically have two options, and I'm not sure which is faster:
[1] Ignore the candles in the second phase and pour on the damage on Skin Prophet, or
[2] Use AoEs to quickly light and douse the candles (EGOs with 5+ targets are particularly good at the second part), then attack the Prophet while he's staggered after 6:5, in addition to AoEing the candles again.

I suggest treating this fight as a time trial. How quick can you do it (while conserving resources)?

My Best: 8 turns (ignoring the candles during the second phase. My initial first phase did take 2 turns, though, so I probably could have done this faster with a Fluid Sac.)

7. Ardor Blossom Moth
"...and my fuel are memories / fuel are memories / of you, they perish with the heat / perish with the heat / so I can move on"
Lv. 45 Ardor Blossom Moth.

The moth itself is Weak to Sloth and Gloom, Endures Envy, and Pierce and Lust are Ineffective. Wrath is very Ineffective (0.2x), so don't bother trying.
The wings have most of the same resistances, but take Fatal damage from Gloom, and are Weak to Slash.
Common attack elements: [Body] Sloth Blunt, [Wings] Pride Pierce. All elements can be swapped out for Wrath via Ember.

Notable attacks:
Spark: Pride Pierce, 5-9-9-13. Inflicts Burn Count +2 when you clash with it, even if you win. If you get hit and the target has enough Shimmering Ember, inflicts Spark (the status), which is a very bad thing to have happen.
Dust Explosion: Pride Pierce, 5-10-10-15. Gains +2 Clash Power if the target has 7+ Burn at the time the attack goes off. This can ruin your day if it happens after an Ardor Blossom Star, so be aware the prediction can be off when setting up your attacks!
Ardor Blossom Star: The one and only. Wrath Blunt, [10-13-16-19]. Gains +2X Clash Power, and inflicts 2X Burn on everyone when you clash with this attack, whether or not you win the clash. Respect this attack. If you lose the clash with it, the fight is basically over.

Drenched Gossypium and Ardor Blossom Moth are surprisingly similar. Both fights are about managing several statuses (Bleed and Gossypium for Drenched Gossypium); both fights want you to clash every attack, lest the boss's passives ruin your day; and, of course, both bosses have a super attack that can gain power if you are not very careful.

This battle has a few more statuses than Drenched Gossypium, sadly:

Ember: Ardor Blossom Moth gains this with its attacks. It converts its non-Wrath attacks into Wrath attacks. When you break the Wings, this vanishes, turning into Shimmering Ember on whoever landed the last hit.
Shimmering Ember: Ardor Blossom Moth inflicts this on you with Stoke the Flames. Harmless, but if you have 3+ of it when hit by Spark (the attack), you will get Spark (the status) put on you instead.
Spark: While you have Spark, any Burn you have spreads to your adjacent allies on the dashboard. Do not get Spark on you.

Burn:
  • All of Ardor Blossom Moth's attacks (except Stoke the Flames) inflict Burn when they hit you.
  • Spark (the attack) inflicts Burn Count even if it doesn't hit you.
  • Spark (the status) spreads your Burn to your allies.
  • And Ardor Blossom Star will inflict you with large amounts of Burn before the Clash with it even starts.
  • Even the moth's Evade inflicts some Burn if it successfully dodges a hit (throw big hits at the Evade to break it).
  • On top of all of that: When Ardor Blossom Moth hits you, you'll take X Burn, and it will heal 2X damage, where X is the number of Wrath skills it's using this turn (this is usually the same as Ember, but not always).

To get as little Burn on you as possible, you need to clash every attack - and win. This is fairly easy for the Body's normal attacks. When clashing Spark, it inflicts Burn Count, so make sure someone with no Burn (or as little as possible) is opposing the attack. For Dust Explosion, it gains power if the Sinner it clashes with has enough Burn, so keep this in mind when setting up targeting.

Then there's Ardor Blossom Star.

Beating Ardor Blossom Star

The Ardor Blossom Moth uses a fairly simple 3-turn pattern, with regular attacks from the Wings and Body. On the 3rd turn, it will use Ardor Blossom Star, a massive Wrath AoE that gains 2 Clash Power for every Wrath attack the moth uses that turn (including ABS itself). While ABS has a [10-13-16-19] base range, the attack's Offense Level will typically give it +2-3 Power simply for showing up - and then it will gain somewhere between +2 and +10 more, depending on how much Ember the moth has.

When the moth is out of Ember, you can expect a practical range of [14-17-20-23]. When it's fully charged, expect to have to deal with something like [22-25-28-31] instead!

The ideal way to deal with Ardor Blossom Star is to break the wings on the second turn of the moth's pattern. This will reset the moth's Ember back to (or at least near) zero, leaving an ABS you can easily clash with. However, if you weren't able to pull that off, here are your options:

• Warp Don [guaranteed]: Yep, it's Rip Space again! When fully charged, this attack hits a 31, which should be enough to send the moth packing.
  • W Ryoshu [guaranteed]: At 7+ Charge, Ryoshu's D.D.E.D.R. can also hit a 31.
  • Lobotomy Corp. Remnant Faust: Opportunistic Slash hits a 26 if Faust took no damage last turn, which gives you a chance to withstand the fully charged attack. Remember that Faust can't have taken Burn damage last turn either!
  • Shi Don: This hits 27 if Don is at 10+ Speed. Your odds are about as good as LCB Remnant Faust, because of the power breakpoints.
  • R Ishmael: At 8+ Charge, Mind Whip hits a 26. At less, it hits a random Sinner, probably.
  • Grippy Sinclair: Self-Destructive Purge always has the chance to hit a 30 while the entire clash plays out. Somewhat risky of an option, but you've got a shot.
  • EGOs with a maximum of 31+ [guaranteed]: Pursuance, Ardor Blossom Star (!), (Ishmael's) Blind Obsession... these EGOs and others with a huge coin can all beat the moth's Ardor Blossom Star in a pinch, and you're probably already bringing a Pursuance user to the Railway anyway. This is probably the easiest way to deal with ABS in a pinch.
  • EGOs with a maximum of 26-30: Every Sinner except Sinclair has at least one of these, so throwing a random EGO at ABS is a good last option - if you're lucky.

One more thing to keep in mind: if you do manage to clash Ardor Blossom Star, you're not completely home free. The attack inflicts as much Burn as it gained Clash Power when you Clash it, regardless of whether you win or lose. If the moth uses Dust Explosion during the same turn as it uses ABS (and it usually will), you need to make sure that you either clash Dust Explosion first, or plan for Dust Explosion gaining power from your Sinners having lots of Burn.

Putting It All Together

During the first two turns of the pattern, try and clash all of Ardor Blossom Moth's attacks, redirecting extra damage to the wings. You want to break the wings on the second turn, and not sooner - the wings will stay broken on the next turn (the Ardor Blossom Star turn), then regenerate on the one after that.

If everything works out right, you'll be able to clash Ardor Blossom Star safely, then you can pour extra damage into the broken Wings before the cycle restarts. This is especially important on Turn 3, as there's a check after the first time the moth uses Ardor Blossom Star.

The check is a Wrath Disadvantage check - you are trying to roll below 10 with a Sinner that has Wrath, or below 6 with anyone else (nigh impossible). If you pass this you lose all Burn, but if you fail (likely) it averages out the resulting Burn (and Burn Count) on the Sinners and inflicts that much on everyone.
It is especially important to ensure Ardor Blossom Star doesn't inflict much Burn during its first use to protect your party.

If something goes sideways in the fight, just remember - the key tenets of this fight are as follows:
Be sure you can clash Ardor Blossom Star.
• Keep Burn off of you as much as possible. (And, heal up if you see Burn will stagger someone.)
• Break the wings and deal lots of damage.

As with Drenched Gossypium, there's a Rest Stop waiting for you up ahead, so you can keep going even if things go wrong. Good luck!

My Best: 7 turns

LEG 3

8. Rest Stop

For the next leg of the Railway, you want to bring Identities that attack with Pierce, and mostly Identities that resist Pierce attacks, or at least aren't weak to them. The majority of the enemies in the next leg are weak to Pierce, and several of the upcoming bosses have some truly unpleasant Pierce attacks in store - and you'll often have limited time to burst them down, so hitting their weakness is essential.

Consider also bringing some of the EGOs listed in the "EGO Suggestions to Resist Ahab" list, below, and have those Sinners be using Pierce-resistant IDs.

9. Pallidification
First wave: 6 Lv. 45 Pallidified Things (2 Shield, 2 Club, 1 Pirate, 1 Hook)
Second wave: 6 Lv. 45 Pallid Mermaids (2 White, 2 Blue, 2 Entwined)
Third wave: 3 Lv. 45 Pallid and Blue Mermaids

Pallidified Things are all weak to Lust and Envy, and all resist Slash to varying degrees. Shield and Club Things are weak to Blunt, and Pirate and Hook Things are weak to Wrath and Pierce.
Pallid White Mermaids are weak to Envy, Pride, and Pierce. They Endure Slash.
Pallid Entwined Mermaids are weak to Wrath, Envy, and Pierce. They also Endure Slash, as well as Gloom.\
Pallid Blue Mermaids take Fatal damage from Pride, and Endure Gloom. Their bigger cousins, Pallid and Blue Mermaids, are Weak to Pride and Envy, and Gloom is Ineffective.

Common attack elements: [Shield P. Thing] Gluttony Blunt, [Club P. Thing] Pride Blunt, [Pirate, Hook Thing] Wrath + Lust Slash, [White, Blue, Pallid And Blue Mermaids] Gloom Blunt + Pierce, [Entwined Mermaids] Gluttony Blunt + Pierce, [All Mermaids] Lust Pierce

Notable attacks:
...- . (yes, that's its name). Found on White Mermaids. Lust Pierce. 13-7-7-1. Gains Final Power for each other Pallid ally. Heals 40% damage and copies your buffs.

Pallidified enemies gain Offense and Defense Level based on how many of their allies survive, so you may have a hard time while they're en masse. While they really don't pose much of a threat to you, the back two waves (Mermaids) drain your SP at End of Turn, so have someone standing by with a SP-restoring EGO.

Generally, this fight isn't so much of a threat as a breather to let you get any new allies you swapped out up to speed before the next one, as well as generate EGO resources that anyone may need.

For anyone who's wondering: Pallid and Blue Mermaids have the same attacks and appearance as Pallid Blue Mermaids. Pallid and Blue Mermaids are just larger, have more HP, and get two actions per turn instead of one.

My Best: 10 turns

10A. Pequod Town
3 Lv. 43 Blinded Pequod Town Villagers and 3 Lv. 43 Gagged Pequod Town Villagers.

Weak to Pierce, Gluttony, and Pride. Endures Slash, Lust, and Sloth.
Common attack elements: Pierce, Sloth, Wrath, Pride

Notable attacks:
Javelin: Pride Pierce. 7-14 for Blinded Villagers and 8-16 for Gagged Villagers. Because of the Villagers' Offense-Level-increasing passive, this can be surprisingly hard to clash with. Keep an eye out for it!
Protect the Town!: Wrath Pierce, [12-10-8-6-4]. The fact that this is an attack with 4 minus coins means that whatever you clash it with has to consistently hit a 12 (or more, if Offense Levels get involved). It adds up to another hard-to-clash attack.

The back half of this fight is infamous, so I'm pulling the front end (these villagers) out into their own entry. Since they count as Pallid, Pequod Town Villagers gain Offense and Defense Levels for each standing ally - but they have an additional passive that restores SP each turn as well. After the first few turns of the fight, you can expect that they'll hit their maximum clash power at all times (except maybe when Protect the Town! is involved).

Similar to the last stage, Pequod Town villagers do not pose a major threat. You should be able to handle them without too much trouble - though it helps to bring Pierce attackers. If you have a choice of who to direct extra damage to, try to stagger or kill Gagged Villagers first, as they have bigger rolls on Javelin.

Once the Pequod Town Villagers are on the ropes, try and spend your low-quality skills on them to get a strong start for what's next. This fight exists to let Sinners who need setup (Charge users, Tremor Count users, etc.) warm up before the storm.

My Best: 4 turns, but that was a bit of a fluke - my average is 5.

10B. Gaslight, Gatekeep, Girlboss (and Starbuck)
"...my dumb rear end was swallowed by the sea~"
Lv. 46 Ahab, Queequeg, and Starbuck.

Ahab is weak to Pierce and Pride. Slash, Sloth, and Gloom are all Ineffective.
Starbuck is weak to Pierce and Gluttony. Blunt and Lust are Ineffective.
Queequeg is weak to Blunt (this won't matter practically speaking) and Envy. Pierce, Gluttony, and Lust are ineffective.
Everyone here uses only Pierce attacks, favoring Envy [Queequeg], Gluttony [Starbuck], or Pride [Ahab]. But they can use other elements - notably, in her most dangerous moveset, Ahab will use Envy and Wrath attacks as well.

Here we are. The fight that stops everybody cold - and with good reason. I'll try and be as specific as I can about what to do.

To start with, you want to make sure you have several people in your party who resist Pierce and can tank successfully. You will also want ideally at least two healers (Faust [Fluid Sac] and Meursault or Rodya [Pursuance]). Cap'n Ahab forces you to play the fight her way, but you can at least stick a spoke in her wheel.

On Turn 1, clash everyone. Send any extra damage Starbuck's way, but don't Stagger him this turn. You want to stagger him next turn, so that he's out of action on Turn 3.

On Turn 2, pick your tank and have them clash Ahab's skill that inflicts the Prey Mark. Have everyone else (who's not keeping Queequeg out of action) pour damage on Starbuck. You want to stagger him here. However, you should also prepare for the Ahab "spotlight turn".

Ahab Spotlight Turns

You had to play through Canto V to even get into the Railway, so you know that Queequeg will draw attacks to her while she's defending Ahab. She'll even absorb AoEs entirely. Meanwhile, Ahab will get a trio of unopposed attacks on the Sinner with the Prey Mark. Defensive Skills will not work because they have to target an attack skill, and Queequeg will only use defensive skills when she's drawing attacks away.

What you can do is prepare in advance. Ensure your tank is fully healed and resists Pierce. By having them cast an EGO on the turn before the spotlight turn, they can change their resistances to take as little damage as possible from Ahab's attacks. (This is important!)

Ahab attacks with Envy and Pride (more Pride than Envy) on her initial spotlight turns, and Envy and Wrath (more Envy than Wrath) on spotlight turns after she enters "Phase 2" (see below). With this, you can pick an EGO to fire off that will grant resistances.

You may also want to consider buffing your party (Yi Sang's Sunshower grants Protection to the team next turn, as does Meur's Pursuance on the Sinners it heals) or debuffing Ahab (Chains of Others will do nicely).

EGO Suggestions to Resist Ahab

The following EGO will be particularly useful for resisting Ahab's attacks:

All Spotlight Turns (generally: resists both Envy and Pride, and not weak to Wrath)
  • Don Quixote Telepole: Renders Envy Ineffective and Endures Pride, while granting normal Wrath resistance.
  • Meursault Chains of Others: Endures Pride. Normal resistance to Envy and Wrath but not only does the attack lower Ahab's damage and give Meursault 2 Protection, being targeted by all of Ahab's skills will make Chains's passive activate, granting Meursault 3 more Protection on the spotlight turn. That's 5 Protection (50% damage cut) by itself.
  • Heathcliff Telepole: Same as Don - renders Envy Ineffective and Endures Pride. Normal Wrath resistance.

Phase 1 Spotlight Turns Only (resists Pride but not Envy, or weak to Wrath)
  • Ryoshu Blind Obsession: Renders Pride Ineffective. Normal resistance to Envy, and Fatal to Wrath.
  • Meursault Pursuance: Endures Pride. Normal resistance to Envy and Wrath.
        (Note: While Meursault's Screwloose Wallop has good resistances for the first cycle, do not use it - it will lower his max HP and make tanking harder.)
  • Ishmael Blind Obsession: Both Pride and Envy are Ineffective, but sadly Fatal to Wrath.
  • Rodya Pursuance: Pride is Ineffective. Normal resistance to Envy and Wrath.

Phase 2 Spotlight Turns Only (resists Envy but not Pride, and not weak to Wrath)
  • Ryoshu 4th Match Flame: Endures Envy; Wrath is Ineffective. Normal resistance to Pride.
  • Hong Lu Effervescent Corrosion: Endures Envy; Normal resistance to Wrath and Pride.
  • Heathcliff Bodysack: Endures Envy; Normal resistance to Wrath and Pride.
  • Rodya 4th Match Flame: Like Ryoshu, endures Envy, and Wrath is Ineffective. Normal resistance to Pride.
  • Gregor AEDD: Endures Envy, and Wrath is Ineffective. Normal resistance to Pride.

(For anyone who is curious, my tanks for my successful run were [first spotlight turn] Spicy Yi Sang with a Sunshower cast beforehand (Normal resistance to Pride and Envy), and Warp Don with a Telepole cast beforehand the second time around (she had already been staggered earlier in the fight and healed back to full, so she didn't even stagger from Ahab's hits). I admit I did less planning for my actual fight than this guide recommends... 😅)

During Spotlight Turns

Normally, when Queequeg starts guarding Ahab, you want to have everyone attack her to deplete all of her Assist Barrier (shield). This will stagger her; otherwise, Ahab and Queequeg will just continue their spotlight turn moves every turn until you do (and even the beefiest tank won't be able to stand up to multiple turns of unopposed attacks in a row).

However, on Turn 3, you have two priorities— you want to kill Starbuck and Stagger Queequeg at the same time! If you can only manage one of the two, stagger Queequeg by depleting her Shield, but you'll absolutely need to finish off Starbuck ASAP on Turn 4 once he starts attacking again.

Afterwards

Ideally, you come out of the spotlight turn with no Starbuck, a staggered Queequeg, and Ahab reasonably vulnerable. If things went less than perfect and Starbuck is still alive, make every effort to kill him here and now; if he's dead, it really doesn't matter what you do, as Ahab will shortly recover all her HP.

For the two turns after the first spotlight, Ahab will use only evade attacks. Before the third turn, she will heal to full - you cannot prevent this, not even by Staggering her. Instead, focus on recovering from the first hit and healing your party so that everyone is in good condition by the time the next spotlight turn rolls around. You can direct your extra damage to Queequeg if you want, but it's not worth seriously trying to kill her - she revives herself after she dies once, and beating Ahab ends the fight in any case.

Once Ahab heals, the fight enters what the game calls "Phase 2". There are two crucial differences in this phase.

First off, Ahab will attack with Envy and Wrath during spotlight turns, so plan accordingly. It doesn't help that the Wrath attack she uses, Tempering of Death, inflicts Fragile, making the third attack in her spotlight turn deal even more damage.

Second: Queequeg no longer gains SP every turn. In fact, Ahab's attack "Be Fearless!" will make her lose SP quite rapidly, and Paralyze her on top of it.

With this, the plan for the rest of the battle is clear. Resist Ahab's unopposed attacks with whoever is tanky, while moving to Stagger Queequeg. Then, hit Ahab with everything you've got. Eventually, you will stagger Ahab. At this point, you should hopefully be able to bum-rush her and burst her down before Queequeg can interfere too much. If not, do as much damage as you can and keep going - you're almost there. GOOD LUCK!

My Best: 9 turns (not counting the 5 turns I took on the Villagers in that run, making 14 turns total)

...one more thing: Unlike the hardest boss fights in previous legs, this one is in the middle of the leg - so there's one more fight to go before you hit a rest stop. Think very carefully if a Sinner gets killed here - you'll have to find someone else to fill the gap in your team. You may want to read ahead to the next stage to see if you think you'll be able to make it.

11. Gasharpoon
Lv. 47 Ahab, manifesting EGO.

Weak to Pierce, Wrath, Pride, and Envy. Slash, Sloth, and Gloom are Ineffective.
Common attack elements: [Always] Pride Pierce, [Pip's Ego] Sloth Blunt, [Starbuck's Ego] Sloth + Gluttony Pierce, [Queequeg's Ego] Envy Pierce

Notable attacks:
Weight of Guilt: Sloth Blunt, 8-10 but gains +2 power for every 5 Pip's Ego. AoE - 3 slots, possibly more depending on stacks of Pip's Ego. This is Ahab's big attack during the Pip's Ego phase.
Undying Soul: Lust Evade, 4-11. Reused up to twice on a failed evade. This is Ahab's primary defense during the Pip's Ego phase.

Echoing Cry: Gluttony Pierce. [3-5-7-9-11-13] but gets +1 Coin Power if clashing with someone who doesn't have Prey Mark, which will push it up to a [3-6-9-12-15-18] instead. This is Ahab's big attack during the Starbuck's Ego phase.

Bleached Atonement: Envy Pierce, 10-15. Staggers target if it hits, so don't let this hit you! This is Ahab's big attack during the Queequeg's Ego phase.
Insidious Pallidification: Sloth Counter [Pierce]. This f—ing attack. This is Ahab's primary defense during the Queequeg's Ego phase, and she can use it multiple times depending on her Queequeg's Ego Stacks. Grants her a Shield each turn at combat start, too.

Huh, they changed the music playback for this fight so 'Compass' loops from start to finish.

The Ahab fight has three phases. Each phase lasts until Ahab loses all her HP, and is focused around managing stacks of one of her crewmates' EGOs. When she loses all stacks of an EGO, she will Stagger and you can whale on her (pun intended). She also has some readily hittable Stagger Thresholds to stun her the old-fashioned way.

Pip and Starbuck

In the first phase, Pip's Ego will restore Ahab's SP every turn, but you can easily clear out stacks of it by winning the clash with Weight of Guilt (which the EGO buffs). You might need to use an EGO to clash Weight of Guilt during the first phase, but keep winning the clashes and you'll be fine.

In the second phase, Starbuck's Ego will give Ahab Protection every turn. She will also start using attacks that inflict Prey Mark. It is in your interest to get Prey Mark on characters who you know will be able to deploy strong attacks next turn. As long as Prey Mark is on a character, Ahab will dual-cast Echoing Cry that turn.

Anyone with Prey Mark who clashes with one of Ahab's attacks will deplete a stack of Starbuck's Ego for each coin they beat in the clash. Echoing Cry is perfect for this - it has 5 coins, and gains Coin Power if someone who doesn't have Prey Mark tries to intercept it. The game really wants you to clash with it as scheduled - so, you might as well oblige it. Ahab's speed is 2-3, so ideally your Prey Mark is on someone faster who can redirect the attacks, too.

Queequeg

The third phase is where things get complicated, as Queequeg's Ego is harder to remove than the others. Each turn, Ahab will use Insidious Pallidification, giving her a large shield. If the shield is still present at the end of the turn, she will regain stacks of the EGO - otherwise she will lose stacks. Unfortunately, those same stacks will give her additional uses of Insidious Pallidification's counterattack - so you have to take the hits.

Keeping an eye on the HP of your team is very important here. If any of your Sinners are weak to Sloth, consider firing off an EGO just to change their resistances (doubly important if they are weak to Pierce). Try and anticipate Ahab's damage (she'll hit the fastest characters first), and use Healing EGOs before anyone hits a stagger threshold.

There's more, unfortunately. While you're dealing with that, Ahab will be setting Prey Mark with Clouded Path, then attacking that target with Bleached Atonement. You must clash Bleached Atonement as it will stagger your characters. Thankfully, it drains some of Ahab's EGO count when she uses it. Small mercies.

In addition to healing, you may want to tactically deploy defensive skills to ensure faster characters that would be in danger of being Staggered don't attack into a counter, but this comes at a serious risk - not breaking Ahab's shield does restore her EGO count, and this can drag out the fight and give worse problems down the line. Preemptively healing if you can is the better option. As long as you can keep everyone safely topped up HP-wise, Ahab's attacks aren't too threatening, especially compared to the nonsense she pulled with actual Queequeg last stage.

Don't assume the fight is over when Ahab is staggered. She's beefy in this phase. The battle may stretch out even afterward. When Ahab is out of Queequeg's Ego, she won't use Bleached Atonement, but she will still use Insidious Pallification to try and regain EGO stacks. Just try and KO her safely, though it might be worth using an EGO or two at this point to speed things along.

My Best: 13 (4 turns on Pip's Ego + 4 on Starbuck's Ego + 5 on Queequeg's Ego)

[cont'd]

Quackles fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 26, 2024

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

FINALE

12. Rest Stop

This is your last stop before the Terminus, the final fight of the Railway. If you've made it here, you're over the hump - now it's just getting your team together for the final fight.

I strongly recommend switching to a dedicated status team here. The upcoming boss is specifically built to be weak to status teams, as you will soon see.

13. Spiral of Contempt
Lv. 48 Spiral of Contempt (+ Grasps).

Endures everything. Summoned Grasp enemies are weak to Blunt and Wrath.
Attack Elements: [Generally] Pierce Lust [Body] Blunt Sloth + Pride [Hands] Pierce Wrath

Notable attacks:
It Shall Constrict: Pride Blunt, 4-9-9-14. Inflicts Grasp if it hits, which will immobilize the target Sinner and summon a Grasp enemy to hold them. You may want to get hit with this in certain circumstances (see below).
It Shall Shun: Lust Pierce, 9-13-13-17. AoE 6 slots. This attack gains 5 power if a Grasp minion is on the field when it goes off, so calculate what you're getting into carefully!
It Shall Contempt All: The same as It Shall Shun, except it removes all Gaze from everybody at Turn End.

This fight is poorly described in-game. The hardest part of it is arguably understanding what's going on and what to do about it.

The main thing you'll notice going in is that Spiral takes half damage - from everything. There are three ways to get under its skin:

Status Teams

If the Spiral has enough Burn, Bleed, Rupture, Tremor, or Sinking at turn end, it has a passive that will automatically give it Fragility to a related sin affinity next turn. There are also matching passives for Poise (getting hit by a critical hit) and Charge (getting hit by a skill that consumed 8+ Charge) as well.
This means that status teams already have an automatic advantage in this fight, even before factoring in the actual detrimental effect of the status. And damage-dealing statuses, such as Burn, Bleed, Rupture, or Sinking, are particularly good here.

Grasped Sinners

Every three turns, starting on the very first, Spiral uses It Shall Constrict. If a Sinner gets hit by this,they will be afflicted with Grasp and put in the hands of a new enemy, also called Grasp. When you kill this enemy, the Sinner will be released. Be sure to kill this enemy right away - it will drain half that Sinner's Max HP and heal the Spiral each turn the Sinner is held. This will kill the Sinner by the time Grasp expires unless you break them out early.

After the first time you break a Grasp - or the Grasped Sinner dies - a check will appear. This check lets you select one damage type and one sin affinity to make Spiral Weak to for the rest of the fight. Then, you can beat it up easier.

Gaze

Sinners who attack the Spiral's hands will gain an effect called Gaze on each hit (each Sinner can gain up to 3 stacks per turn). This grants a damage buff - but at 7 stacks, it turns into a negative effect known as Contempt, which drains your EGO resources and inflicts Damage Down on whoever has it. Sounds pretty bad, right? Well, yes and no. If a Sinner with Contempt is grabbed and broken out, it will strip Contempt from all targets and Spiral will gain 3 Fragile the next turn.

Strategy

Spiral of Contempt uses a six-turn pattern, which pauses on turns when one of its parts is staggered. On the first and fourth turns in the pattern, Spiral will try to grab someone. On the third turn, it will use It Shall Shun, which gains Power if a Sinner is still held. On the sixth turn of the pattern, Spiral will use It Shall Contempt All, which is the same as It Shall Shun but also clears Gaze from all Sinners.

I am of the opinion that the correct way to handle Grasp is to let one of your Sinners get grabbed Turn 1, so that you can get the check as soon as possible. You won't get the Contempt Fragile boost immediately, but you'll have plenty of opportunities later in the fight. While a Sinner is grabbed, you'll need to take your focus off Spiral for a bit so you can destroy the Grasp enemy in 1-2 turns. Just figure out which of Spiral's attacks will do the least damage and ignore those. Be sure to clash its big AoE, though.

Once the event occurs, pick the damage type and affinity that suits your team. It will typically match the Fragility type you are getting from the status-infliction passive. Then, it's back to beating up Spiral. I strongly recommend spreading the Gaze stacks out among your party members if you can. You want to avoid getting Contempt on any Sinner unless you know the grab is coming up next turn, and you want to get grabbed to clear it - or, you think the time is right to inflict the Spiral with 3 Fragile on purpose.

(Tip: Both parts of the Spiral have a stagger threshold at 45% of their HP bar, or 814 HP for the body and 347 HP for the hands. If you do find yourself with Contempt, by accident or not, I'd recommend the Fragile infliction once you get near one of those, to try and get as much damage in while it's Staggered as you can.)

One more thing: Note that Meursault can clear his own Contempt by using Regret. He's just built different.

Final Phase: All-Beholding Gaze

There is one last catch: Once you get the Spiral down to 30% of its primary HP bar (771 overall HP), it will clear all Contempt and Gaze from all targets, and inflict everyone with a stack of All-Beholding Gaze every turn. This effect deals 4 HP and 4 SP damage at turn end for each stack you have... and it goes up every turn, with no limit. This means: Once you get the Spiral on the ropes, you have to kill it quick - or perish. Don't forget your healing EGOs!

If you manage to Stagger part of the Spiral at this point, you can pour the damage in there when you see a chance.
You've come this far. I believe in you!

My Best: 11 turns (my attempt was kind of scuffed, though - I bet I could do 10 if I tried again.)

My Team

Here is the team I used for the first three legs of the Railway:

Basically, I just threw in my best, most leveled units (many of which resisted Pierce or had Pierce attacks) and came out OK. For most of the railway, I used Spicy Sang, Twoing (Seven) Faust, Warp Don, Wetsuit Ishmael, Rose Rodya, and Molar Outis. I did swap in G Gregor as backup attacker once or twice, I think most notably in Gossypium - but I had him benched the rest of the time. I think his healing support passive helped.

Chef Ryoshu, LCB Hong Lu, LCB Heathcliff, and Jefe Sinclair I only brought for their support passives. I had thought about using R Meursault, but didn't end up doing so.

For Spiral, I swapped to a dedicated Burn team with all four Liu identities, Grippy Faust, and Der Shooty Outis, instead.

...and that's the story of how I beat Refraction Railway in 92 turns, and you can too.

≈FIN≈

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

In other news...

I was running close to sub-50 and had to change tactics. This was much harder than it should have been because of the goddamn pallid mermaids eating my SP.

edit:

Wasn't that hard, in the end. Pequod trio killed buncliff, but I wasn't using him for gasharpoon anyways since I needed a slow-ish clear there to avoid taking all day against spiral so I rolled with it. :v:

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 18, 2024

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

Quackles posted:

Lot of good information

gently caress yeah. Lots of good information in here. Thank you for posting this!

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
The Queen of Hatred's a cool abnormality, but IDK if I want to keep track of how many clerks die all the time to keep her in my facility. The healing also makes stat gains a lot worse which is a shame because I need a good mid-level insight fortitude trainer. I guess that's what the memory repository is for, but that's a lot of times to relive day 16 already at this point.

Edit: I do have execution bullets b/c of retry fuckery but its still a bit of a pain with not that many departments open at this point.

hostess with the Moltres fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 19, 2024

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1973530/view/7083669017352564805

Event details. Notably, this is more like Hell's Chicken with a mini-dungeon repeatable boss.

Notably, the unique MD events and fights will appear in the Mirror Dungeon during this event, and you can even swap out a usual final boss with the event's one for more currency.

The new IDs get drop bonuses, but so do all of the previously existing Blade Lineage (Yi Sang, Sinclair and Outis) and Kurokumo Clan (Ryoshu, Hong Lu and Rodion) IDs.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Don gives some team Poise support, solid but nothing crazy.

Gregor has a Clash Win Bleed effect going, and some bleed-based debuffs, solid enough.

Faust has a unique status ailment that make enemies more likely to be crit, inflicts them with Bleed and gives them a weakness to crits.

...i don't even know where to start here. This man will save Blade Lineage Outis and Sinclair by himself, jesus.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 19, 2024

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Edit: Huh, they weren't loading properly for me when I first looked at them. Nevermind.

Ffffffffuck, Meursault is packed with all kinds of poo poo. If he's not SSS tier I will eat my god drat hat. He's also got two Pride, inflicts Bleed and has an Envy Counter, meaning he buffs the Pequod/Middle bleed/poise team massively. HOLY poo poo TO CLAIM THEIR BONES HAS ATTACK WEIGHT!

drat shame Faust has a Sloth S1 instead of an Envy S1.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Feb 19, 2024

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
to be fair I realized I was using worse quality images so I edited them in after they made a correction bc original gregor's S3 was listed as Blunt, not Slash, so I might have fixed it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

And there's the Meursault Identity you build a team around. I am now a Blade Lineage Gamer, N Corp goes in the trash.

(No really I'm probably gonna use the anniversary ticket on that Meursault holy poo poo).

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

He buffs all his Blade Lineage allies, and he has a skill 3 that turns into a 4-coin AoE Counter, and he can't be Staggered while doing it, and he also can't die the first time he loses all his HP in a battle.

Seems good.

GilliamYaeger posted:

drat shame Faust has a Sloth S1 instead of an Envy S1.

E: I'm not sad. I tried to make a MDH Bleed team and realized I had no Sloth gen but was planning to bring Yi Sang anyway. She'll fit right in.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Quackles posted:

He buffs all his Blade Lineage allies, and he has a skill 3 that turns into a 4-coin AoE Counter, and he can't be Staggered while doing it, and he also can't die the first time he loses all his HP in a battle.

Seems good.

E: I'm not sad. I tried to make a MDH Bleed team and realized I had no Sloth gen but was planning to bring Yi Sang anyway. She'll fit right in.

I think the cannot die thing might be related to the stuff around if other members of Blade Lineage have died sadly.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Does Regret's passive work on defense skills? Because if he can get +2 Coin Power on To Claim There Bones that would delete things even harder than it already does

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Junpei posted:

Does Regret's passive work on defense skills? Because if he can get +2 Coin Power on To Claim There Bones that would delete things even harder than it already does

It does work with defense skills, it won't work with To Claim Their Bones, because it's based on the leftmost skill in the dashboard. To Claim Their Bones never is on the Dashboard I think, it would always be Yield My Flesh (which you do not want to have coin power).

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

More+Better pieces for the Bleed(+Poise) dungeon crew to pick from, and just solid units in their own right :toot:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Arcanuse posted:

More+Better pieces for the Bleed(+Poise) dungeon crew to pick from, and just solid units in their own right :toot:

This is arguably for Poise + Bleed not Bleed + Poise, as only Faust counts as a Bleed unit realistically.

You'd be wanting to run the new Blade Lineage stuff on a dedicated poise team, with some additional Bleed Support. Since Meursault needs at least 2 Blade Lineage units. So if you're wanting Bleed + Poise Meursault himself cannot be part of the 5 Bleed for the gift, so that's Faust and Sinclair for the other 2 Blade Lineage, and then the Peqoud Trio.

So it can be done, but I don't think it's as good as just going all in on Blade Lineage (since Meursault's abilities with enough resonance will make them win every clash).

Edit: After a quick look, I discovered that you can make a team of 5 kurokumo, 5 blade lineage, and Shi Ishmael and Shi Heathcliff. Shi Heath makes the unit with the lowest HP do more slash damage, Shi Ishmael gives the unit with the lowest HP Counter Power. Both of which sound very funny as support passives for Blade Lineage Meursault.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 19, 2024

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
I'm super excited for future Blade Lineage Mirror Dungeon runs.

Which units would be best for a Kim team? Blade Lineage Faust looks more than functional and Pirate Gregor would probably be a good teammate for them too (with Kurokumo Greg replacing Pirate on the Bleed team), but who else? BL Yi Sang would definitely be way more functional with Kim and Don feeding him Poise, but I'm not sure that Outis or Sinclair would be worth using at all even with Kim's buffs, especially since Kim wants big Pride resonance and they only have it on their S3s. Don could be at least functional - at the very least she probably won't have an S2 that rolls loving 12 like BL Sinclair.

Funnily enough I think Captain Ishmael would fit in better with the Blade Lineage folks than her own crew, what with her and Kim both wanting big Pride resonance chains.

So a tentative 6-man team would be Kimsault, BL Yi Sang, BL Don, BL Faust, Pirate Greg and Captain Ishmael

e:

Lord_Magmar posted:

This is arguably for Poise + Bleed not Bleed + Poise, as only Faust counts as a Bleed unit realistically.

You'd be wanting to run the new Blade Lineage stuff on a dedicated poise team, with some additional Bleed Support. Since Meursault needs at least 2 Blade Lineage units. So if you're wanting Bleed + Poise Meursault himself cannot be part of the 5 Bleed for the gift, so that's Faust and Sinclair for the other 2 Blade Lineage, and then the Peqoud Trio.
To Claim Their Bones inflicts Bleed, Kimsault counts as a Bleed unit.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Feb 19, 2024

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

TCTB is a defensive skill, and the Big Bleed Thing only counts Attack Skills, so he might NOT be a bleed unit.

anyways the question we need answered before we can determine optimal Kimming is how many BL units he needs for his effect to pop.

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL
I think that Meursault deserves all the BL in the world, there is no such thing as a lower limit to it :colbert:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm going to run an all-six Blade Lineage Team and you can't stop me man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

I'm literally hacking your steam account as we speak, Junpei. :c00lbert: