Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The rain in Ukraine falls mainly on the plane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The rain in Ukraine falls mainly on the plane

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Navalny - killed by Putler for being too sexy
Putin Kills Off the Handsome Princes

www.politico.com posted:

Leaders of the Russian opposition, Boris Nemtsov (left) and Alexei Navalny (right), attend a rally to protest against alleged vote rigging in Russia's parliamentary elections on Sakharov avenue in Moscow, Russia, on Dec. 24, 2011. | Misha Japaridze/AP

The last images of Alexei Navalny alive show him behind bars. He is a bit gaunt. His hair is shorter, missing its old sheen. Yet his eyes are the same as ever: They light up. In the video shot on Thursday, he jokes with a judge and a policeman. I’m running out of money, he says, a well-compensated judge should lend me some. His captors laugh. For a prisoner stuck in a camp above the Arctic Circle, he looks good — a strong man in whom you see the faintest of glimmers of optimism about his own and Russia’s future.

The
other image
that I dwelled on Friday shows Navalny and Boris Nemtsov. These two were the most prominent leaders of an inspired protest movement in the spring of 2012 that imagined a different kind of future for Russia. Borya is whispering impishly in Navalny’s ear, making him laugh. Both are handsome, tall, vigorous. The kind of men who turn heads.

Nemtsov was gunned down in February of 2015, at the foot of the Kremlin, a year into Vladimir Putin’s initial military assault on Ukraine. He was a youthful 55. Navalny died — no, let’s be honest here, was killed — on Friday, barely a week shy of the two-year anniversary of Putin’s large-scale invasion of Ukraine. He was 47.

They say authoritarians who survive have a talent for identifying and eliminating the greatest threats to themselves. To paraphrase Kremlin chump Tucker Carlson, Putin is a very talented man. He chose his prey well. In his time, Nemtsov was seen as a credible alternative — a reforming governor from Nizhny Novgorod who came to Moscow under the previous Russian leader, Boris Yeltsin. The taint of the chaos of the 1990s stuck to him; he was associated with the pain of the changes that had to be made and others that were avoided by Yeltsin, and that hindered him in the early 2000s. But Borya had different talents — a feel for people and retail politics and convictions — that Putin lacks.

By 2012, Navalny emerged as the most captivating face of the Russian opposition. He had dabbled in nationalist politics. Then he figured out he could use the Internet for well-documented crusades against corruption that made his name. He coined the phrase “crooks and thieves” to describe Putin and his coterie, and it stuck. It did feel like an opening, if ever so slight, existed in 2012. The regime was disliked, was wobbling. Nemtsov and Navalny had the middle classes of Moscow and St. Petersburg on their side. The political threat from them was direct. Especially for the last decade from Navalny. He knew how to use the media, he showed how to stand up to the regime with courage, and he was willing to make the sacrifices to one day try to lead Russia on another path.

Yet these men challenged Putin in other ways he must have keenly felt. There was the youthfulness and energy. Nemtsov was born seven years after Putin but acted and looked as if he came from another generation; Navalny was the next generation. They had a sense of humor and color to their faces. They were optimistic. They didn’t seem cynical. They had nice hair, too, atop imposing frames. Did that hurt the balding Putin’s ego — so sensitive that, as the joke that happened to be a fact went, he found the one man in Dmitry Medvedev who’s shorter than himself to stand in as president in 2008-12 when Putin was term-limited out of that office.

I note Nemtsov and Navalny’s evident masculinity since that trait is so important to Putin and his admirers abroad. No one besides his dog, the saying goes, knows what Putin really thinks. But you can imagine these men must have stirred more than Machiavellian insecurities in Putin. No pictures of the bare-chested Vlad on horseback comes close to the magnetism of the image I was looking at Friday.

Equally stark is the generational contrast. Putin and his people are old and look it. Dull and gray, they fit right in a group picture of the Soviet politburo circa 1982. You can note the same dynamic in play with Volodymyr Zelenskyy, the 46-year-old president of Ukraine. He and his people, almost all in their forties or younger, came of age after the USSR collapsed. They look ahead. The boomer Putin mourns its passing.

I last saw Nemtsov in June of 2013 in Washington. Sitting on a panel next to me, he kept whispering in my ear. A quick joke. Once a compliment. He was warm, playful. His people were and remain immensely loyal to him. Including the writer and activist Vladimir Kara-Murza, who has survived two poisoning attempts and currently sits in a Russian penal colony, another of Putin’s political prisoners.

I got to know Navalny better in March of 2012. Protesters were in the streets. The coming presidential election was a sham. He promised defiance. “The Kremlin should understand these tens of thousands of people will never leave the streets,” he told me. “We will never consider Putin as a president with legitimacy.” More than the words, Navalny left a physical impression on you. He had presence and a relaxed kind of intensity. Then 35, he usually wore jeans and an open shirt.

On election night, I went to an event thrown by the opposition and remember standing with Navalny and Garry Kasparov, the chess grandmaster and opposition leader. Navalny’s confidence from a few days before had dimmed. He and Kasparov saw the staged election was a victory for Putin; the regime would counter-strike with force. They were right. Kasparov left Russia for good the next year. Navalny was charged with bogus embezzlement charges in July, the first of many that kept him in and out of prison over the next 12 years — except for the long spell in a hospital following a nearly fatal poisoning attempt courtesy of the Russian secret services.

In another country, Borya and Alyosha — the diminutives by which they were known to many — might have had their happy endings. They were the dashing princes, Putin the toad. But this story takes place in the land of the Tsars. Here the Tsar murders at will. His people are numbed to it — some bravely laid flowers Friday night at an impromptu memorial in Moscow, but we know too how this will end. Alyosha will be a memory, as is Borya. How will it end for Putin? The recent leader he resembles most, Stalin, died angry, ashen-faced and ailing, but in his own bed. It took over thirty years for any glimmers of optimism to emerge in Russia, in the 1980s with Gorbachev’s glasnost, openness, and the experiment with democracy in the 1990s, to be snuffed out with Putin’s ascendance in 2000. That’s not a happy thought. There aren’t any about Russia these days.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

my bony fealty posted:

Its pretty funny that stealth in general hasn't been battle tested in a near-peer conflict. Funny in a good way I'd rather not find out what an F-35 vs J-20 war looks like.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Lol yeah its badass that they shot down some F117s with old Soviet AA systems

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

Navalny - killed by Putler for being too sexy
Putin Kills Off the Handsome Princes

what is it about Russia that makes liberals so loving deranged

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

reading this poo poo after reading today that one of the butchers of the Suharto regime just got elected with a US greenlight is fun

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Kiev Independent said a week ago that the Ukrainians haven't been digging trenches or preparing a fall back line

10/10 planning.

DONETSK OBLAST – As artillery began pounding the cold-hardened ground ahead of them, two Ukrainian soldiers listened warily to shell impacts creep closer.

They were squeezed together in a roughly dug hole no deeper than half a meter, in a meager defensive position on the front line north of Avdiivka – an embattled city just outside Russian-occupied Donetsk in eastern Ukraine. It was November, and cold weather had already gripped the east of the country.

The two soldiers, Oleksandr, 42, and Anatoly, 31, sat quietly together, holding their breath. Oleksandr knew that the hole provided inadequate cover for the two men.

And as he had feared, a Russian mortar landed right next to the pair on their fifth and last night at the position. Anatoly was struck in the back by shrapnel.

"Everything happened quickly, and he was screaming," Oleksandr said, recalling how the darkness prevented him from seeing anything.

"I wrapped him (with bandages), did everything (I could)," he added, describing how he felt all over Anatoly’s body to feel the wetness of blood to work out where his comrade had been wounded.

The pair had to wait 10 hours for medical evacuation due to the relentless Russian shelling. Of two other pairs of soldiers positioned nearby, three were killed and one wounded in the same artillery attack.

good to know that these poor bastards getting blown to hell in some mud ditch all took at least ten russians with them

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

It's a natural outgrowth of Trump Derangement.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
putin: stupid sexy navalny

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

putin: stupid sexy navalny

feels like i'm feelin'

nothin' at all!

nothin' at all!

nothin' at all!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

my bony fealty posted:

the real bad guy behind the curtain that when defeated will also cure everything bad about the west

it was all Russian meddling you see

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/BusinessInsider/status/1759055325871661531?s=20

The crack Ukrainian assault brigade sent to launch counterattacks around Avdiivka has a murky past

Ukraine's 3rd Separate Assault Brigade is supporting the withdrawal from the city of Avdiivka.
The battle-hardened unit has a contentious political history.
It emerged from a brigade linked to far-right groups and neo-Nazism.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Lmao, now that they're losers they're Nazis again

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.businessinsider.com/ukraine-military-shifts-active-defensive-failed-nazi-germany-wwii-2024-2

another Greatest Hits collection for the thread

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

fits my needs posted:

The crack Ukrainian assault brigade sent to launch counterattacks around Avdiivka has a murky past

Ukraine's 3rd Separate Assault Brigade is supporting the withdrawal from the city of Avdiivka.

"Linked to" yeah that's one way to describe an openly fascist organization full Yaroslavs

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Lmao, now that they're losers they're Nazis again

👏

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Wonder if they'll discover the Dirlewanger Challenge Coins next.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

the elastic defence 'usually worked' yeah im gonna need a lot of citations there buddy

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I was beaten bloody by the decisions of the Ukrainian general staff. But I didn't hate them, I said thank you for your syrsky.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The poor fool.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

dk2m posted:

I can’t wait for the NYT and Wapo stories where it’s like “yes, obviously we all knew Ukraine had a neo Nazi problem, and yes, it was endemic in the military, but wouldn’t you want fascists fighting for your side if you were invaded by a genocidal country in a full scale invasion?” and then just pause there without any sense of self-reflection, context or even try to understand it in the first place

especially lol given from all I've seen Azov has been nothing but a liability, busy massacring minorities and hiding behind civilians and immediately eating poo poo on the rare occasions they're forced to actually fight while sucking up all the western funding

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Adolf Hentai??? :confused:

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

no no

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Punished Turtle posted:

The performative outrage over “democratic opposition figure” Navalny is even more disgusting considering the actual democratically elected leader of Pakistan was couped and jailed with US connivance just because he did not Slava hard enough and give Ukraine an endless supply of weapons.

its what happens when you get in bed with the americans. hope india learns a lesson from the last coupla years

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

fits my needs posted:

lmao it's fuckin over for ukraine

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Ghost Leviathan posted:

especially lol given from all I've seen Azov has been nothing but a liability, busy massacring minorities and hiding behind civilians and immediately eating poo poo on the rare occasions they're forced to actually fight while sucking up all the western funding

it's too bad that from what is being reported the Ukrainian defenses collapsed too quickly for Azov to fully arrive on the scene and move into Avdiivka.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

heh
https://twitter.com/MedvedevRussiaE/status/1758757003780874298

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

fits my needs posted:

No loving poo poo. Hello liberals, welcome back to reality.

Coming back to the poo poo we call 2024 is gonna be hard on people that had been living in a marvel world for 2022-2023. Gonna be waking up, turning over in bed and immediately spotting the receipt for a cash donation to literal nazis.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

Coming back to the poo poo we call 2024 is gonna be hard on people that had been living in a marvel world for 2022-2023. Gonna be waking up, turning over in bed and immediately spotting the receipt for a cash donation to literal nazis.

5-10 years from now all those receipts are going to get dug up and have all sorts of wonderful unforseen consequences.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

doubt

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Kinda lol if it's like the Winter Soldier heil hydra thing had actual consequences (or maybe fitting if it doesn't)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
"Hail Hydra" but in plain text all over social media. Also leaving a mile wide financial paper trail in the banking system where every ledger entry says "dirlewanger" when you tilt the screen slightly.

Even a modern failkid could follow that. It's like a video game quest with a big floating arrow over the objective.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

lol if you think that's gonna matter

now anyone who provided material support to palestine hamas, on the on the other hand...

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

supersnowman posted:

Adolf was a failed artist hellbent on destroying much of the world. Hentai is a form of art hellbent on spreading around the world. They are not the same.

adolf wouldve been a hentai artist if he was born in 1997

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Homeless Friend posted:

they elected a comedian op

jealous?

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

capture an underground fortress full of ammo and you get bonus cats as well

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, backhanded blows didn’t always go well either and usually they didn’t change the strategic situation. Also, in the case of Ukraine, their current strategy can be described as “holding on for dear life”, diamond hands AFU.

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Source: Ukrainska Pravda

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2024/02/17/7442369/

Most troops have left Avdiivka, no large-scale capture of Ukrainian soldiers – 3rd Separate Assault Brigade – video
KATERYNA TYSHCHENKO — SATURDAY, 17 FEBRUARY 2024, 20:53

Source:

Oleksandr Borodin, press officer of the 3rd Separate Assault Brigade of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, on the Ukrainska Pravda project UP.Summary; 3rd Separate Assault Brigade on Telegram

Quote:

"We have now retreated to our prepared positions... Most of the troops have already left, but this is a lengthy process. It is important to understand that such operations are very complex, sometimes more complex than assault operations... The lion's share of the process is done, but some elements still remain.

I do not know of any people who are encircled. There are just a few more steps that need to be taken, but the logistics are working, everything is fine."

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2024/02/17/7442379/

Tavriia Operational Strategic Group of Forces on Russia's losses: Battle of Avdiivka successfully drained Russian reserves
KATERYNA TYSHCHENKO — SATURDAY, 17 FEBRUARY 2024, 23:17

Source:

Dmytro Lykhovii, spokesman for the Tavriia Operational and Strategic Group of Forces, on Ukrainska Pravda’s UP.Pidsumky (Ukrainska Pravda Summary)

Quote from Lykhovii:

"Russia’s losses on the Avdiivka front are enormous. My colleagues and I have made an estimate based on archival data from the beginning of this year. This covers not only the Avdiivka front, but also the enemy’s overall losses across the operational area overseen by the Khortytsia Operational and Strategic Group of Forces (presumably the spokesperson was referring to the Tavriia Operational Strategic Group – ed.), which stretches from Avdiivka to the boundary of the Odesa Operational and Strategic Group of Forces in Dnipropetrovsk Oblast. But the majority of these numbers relate specifically to the Avdiivka front.

The enemy’s total losses between 1 January and 16 February inclusive amounted to 20,607 personnel, 201 tanks and 492 armoured combat vehicles."

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2024/02/17/7442338/

Ukraine's Defence Intelligence reveals that its officers secured corridor for Ukrainian soldiers leaving Avdiivka – photo
ROMAN PETRENKO — SATURDAY, 17 FEBRUARY 2024, 15:57

Source:

a report from Defence Intelligence Unit (DIU)

Quote:

"Special forces of DIU, as part of Ukraine's Security and Defence Forces, defended the last road from Avdiivka for a week, inflicting colossal losses on the constantly advancing Russian assault units.

Under the order on the coordinated withdrawal of the main forces, officers of DIU, together with the troops of the Special Operations Forces, the 3rd Separate Assault Brigade, the 225th Separate Assault Battalion, and the 110th Separate Mechanised Brigade of the Armed Forces of Ukraine secured the evacuation corridor."

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2024/02/17/7442333/

Ukraine's Defence Minister outlines lessons learnt in Battle for Avdiivka
ROMAN PETRENKO — SATURDAY, 17 FEBRUARY 2024, 15:07

Source:

Umierov on Facebook

Quote from Umierov:

"We have learnt our lessons from Avdiivka:

We need modern air defence systems to prevent the enemy from using guided bomb units.

We need long-range weapons to destroy enemy storage points.

We need artillery ammunition.

We are constantly working on this.

We are building and strengthening fortifications. The decision to protect people is the right one."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's fine Steiner will recapture Avdivka with all of those things.