Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
If Brandon needs to retcon anything I bet it'll be pretty minor as it sounds like he has an outline of his grand plan built out pretty well. Yeah the devil's in the details but that's where he shines. I'm not worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Louisgod posted:

If Brandon needs to retcon anything I bet it'll be pretty minor as it sounds like he has an outline of his grand plan built out pretty well. Yeah the devil's in the details but that's where he shines. I'm not worried.

We've already seen him retcon some things and yeah it's all been tinkering around the edges mostly

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Luckily I think most WoB's are either revealed in a book anyway, or miscellaneous things about mechanics that drive us to speculate but are not themselves relevant to the books.

The best thing to do is just never look them up, until you want to get in the weeds of speculation and theory crafting to fill your free time between books.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Question about Stormlight Archive/Roshar. I've read the first two books and it mentions that the characters measure their age in weepings, and also that the weepings are about 500 days apart. Are we meant to interpret their stated ages (and developmental stages) as basically the same as ours? Or is someone like Kaladin, who is 20-21(can't remember) in TWoK and WoR, more equivalent to like a 30 year old?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

voiceless anal fricative posted:

Question about Stormlight Archive/Roshar. I've read the first two books and it mentions that the characters measure their age in weepings, and also that the weepings are about 500 days apart. Are we meant to interpret their stated ages (and developmental stages) as basically the same as ours? Or is someone like Kaladin, who is 20-21(can't remember) in TWoK and WoR, more equivalent to like a 30 year old?

Nah, he's like 22. Their weeks and days are shorter.

This might have spoilers, so beware:
https://www.17thshard.com/forums/topic/5662-list-ages-of-stormlight-characters/

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

While the years are about 30% longer than Earth years in number of days, the days are about 20% shorter. In the end, I think it's calculated that Roshar years in total time are roughly 10% longer than Earth years. So just add 10% to any age.

Shallan is said to be 17, but is closer to 19.
When Kaladin is said to be 20, he's closer to actual 22.
When Adolin is said to be 25, he's closer to 27-28.

I think it is cool to have Roshar work on a different timescale from Earth since it's kinda laughable when every fantasy series measures time in years made up of 365 days that are 24 hours each, it can also lead to a little confusion. But yeah, in the end, people are just slightly older than they appear.

Just like any good anime, the characters are labeled as younger than they truly are.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

big mean giraffe posted:

Unless you've figured out the big clue that breaks that whole bit open
*edit* actually the biggest real confirmation of that theory is SL5 prologue I think, but people had figured it out even before RoW due to some WoBs

Even assuming that The Theory is correct (which I do, for the record) there's still plenty going on there we don't really understand yet.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Something something always another secret

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

M_Gargantua posted:

Something something always another secret

Any Scadrians following that ethos are gonna have a field day untangling the events depicted in Dawnshard

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm glad I took a few days off after Words of Radiance before jumping into Edgedancer because it gives me space to digest and think about any lingering questions.

Some misc. things I've been thinking of (general stormlight talk)

I think, naturally, one of the big question marks for me currently are the Heralds. There is a lot of talk about the Heralds thus far in the series without, intentionally, much revealing detail. As such I've a few questions and these aren't ones that I think I'm missing any details on at this point, but these are my biggest questions surrounding the Heralds -

- Were they just dudes before Tanavast chose them as Heralds? Why did Tanavast choose these ten?

- What, specifically, makes the Heralds special and different from your average Radiant?

- What happened to the Heralds between desolations? I think this is my biggest question. The prologue made it sound like in between Desolations, Heralds would be sent to an Event Horizon-style Hell to be tortured for thousands of years? But like - what? When only Taln "died" during that desolation they were like "oh, only he'll have endless torture. I guess that's fine." I find this whole passage still incredibly confusing.

- I think we can assume that Honor was already splintered when the Heralds walked away at the WoK prologue?

- Can we assume that the Radiants abandoning their oaths at Day of Recreance is due to the Heralds abandoning them?

- So we've learned that Shardblades are the original living blades of the Radiants that "died" when the knights abandoned their oaths. But what about Honor Blades? Are those also "dead" since the Heralds walked away? At the end of WoR, when Dalinar bonds with the Stormfather, the Stormfather demands that Dalinar abandons his blade. Are Honor Blades also "dead"?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I'm gonna be vague, so try and just apply this question to whichever of your own questions as you see fit (it is more than one):

What do Honorblades do for their bearers?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

pik_d posted:

I'm gonna be vague, so try and just apply this question to whichever of your own questions as you see fit (it is more than one):

What do Honorblades do for their bearers?

Unless I'm misunderstanding - Honorblades essentially make anyone a Radiant of whatever Order the Honorblade is attuned to - for lack of better words. I think I, for no reason at all, assumed that the Honorblade that Dalinar had would have been the bondsmith one - which, now that I think about it, I guess doesn't make sense since it came from Taln.

So basically between Dalinar and the Stormfather, the Stormfather was like "Fine, I'll give you Bondsmith powers, but you don't get a blade. gently caress you for making me do this."

Good thing that in the prior chapter, a very powerful non-Spren blade was introduced to the setting. :unsmigghh:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
At least a few of those questions have been answered in WoBs but I really don't know how much I can get into without spoiling the next two books for you.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The point of uninformed speculation is for us to enjoy and look back on.

Not for us to answer them.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

big mean giraffe posted:

At least a few of those questions have been answered in WoBs but I really don't know how much I can get into without spoiling the next two books for you.
The vast majority will be answered in the next two books.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Honorblade (and by extention, shardblade) question - Can someone bond with multiple blades?

And with honorblades, do you get the powers just from holding it, or do you have to be bonded? Could someone bond with two honor blades and have four surgebinding powers?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
RAFO

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
One of those might be answerable. (Full spoilers through RoW) Can you bond multiple dead Blades? I don't know if we're ever told that or not, and Shallan is a special case.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

M_Gargantua posted:

The point of uninformed speculation is for us to enjoy and look back on.

Not for us to answer them.

One of those questions felt a little more like asking for clarification, you misunderstand my point.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The novellas are isolated from the main plot, right?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

They’re not required reading but the events contained in them directly affect the main plot and characters introduced in them will reappear later in the main books.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The Cosmere is a more complete experience if you read them all. Stuff ties together in fun ways.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Each series works fine in isolation though.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Oh I thought he meant the interstitial novellas, Edgedancer/Dawnshard, not the disconnected ones like Sixth of the Dusk or Emperor's Soul.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah I meant edgedancer etc

I know asking the Sanderson thread "should I read [Sanderson book]" is a foregone conclusion but I'm trying to make a decision for myself if I bother reading them because I've got a lot of stuff I want to read and not enough time to read even half of it

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I know asking the Sanderson thread "should I read [Sanderson book]" is a foregone conclusion but I'm trying to make a decision for myself if I bother reading them because I've got a lot of stuff I want to read and not enough time to read even half of it

The Stormlight novellas are pretty important to understanding some pretty big characters. You can get away with skipping some of the one-off novellas but I wouldn't recommend skipping Edgedancer or Dawnshard.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

If you're reading and enjoying Stormlight Archive, then yes, you should. Edgedancer is all Lift and Dawnshard is 50% Lopen and 50% Rysn. How can you turn that down?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

CapnAndy posted:

One of those might be answerable. (Full spoilers through RoW) Can you bond multiple dead Blades? I don't know if we're ever told that or not, and Shallan is a special case.

I'm almost positive you can, it's just understandably almost never something that happens given how rare and precious shardblades are

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

I'm almost positive you can, it's just understandably almost never something that happens given how rare and precious shardblades are

It's been a while since I read WoK but I thought it specifically said the throne had several shardblades it would lend out to nobles (and the king's guards) for both training and for specific uses. I always imagined that meant the king bonded them for safe retrieval.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

DarkHorse posted:

[Shardbearer General Grevious enters the chat]

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I just wonder, if you can bond multiples, why hasn’t someone who owns several — like the king — ever tried to dual-wield them? Why do people who win another Blade immediately look for someone else to give it to?

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

CapnAndy posted:

I just wonder, if you can bond multiples, why hasn’t someone who owns several — like the king — ever tried to dual-wield them? Why do people who win another Blade immediately look for someone else to give it to?

I wouldn't be surprised if you could dual bond two different radiant spren. We've seen subsequent bonding based on the Sunlit man but not explicitly having two spren at one time. And Eshonai bonding a "fused" spren and a "regular" spren isn't the same. Maybe someone could end up withvsomeone who had access to 4 (or more realistically 3 surges (probably easier to bond a spren from an adjacent order but that could be wrong.

Synesthesian Fetish fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 18, 2024

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if you could dual bond two different radiant spren. We've seen subsequent bonding based on the Sunlit man but not the explicitly having two spren at one time. Maybe you can do the mental gymnastics to make that work or maybe it works naturally but what if someone had access to 4 (or more realistically 3 surges (probably easier to bond a spren from an adjacent order but that could be wrong.

In his latest research dive, Brandon explores the complicated world of polyarmory

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

they're already impractically big

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

CapnAndy posted:

Two-Weapon Fighting is a really feat-intensive build, especially if it's not something you've specced for from the start, so it's generally more efficient in terms of the action economy to give any spare shardblades to allies to wield.

Anshu fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 18, 2024

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CapnAndy posted:

One blade is already as big as an entire person. While they are incredibly light for their size, they are not weightless. So it's for sure better to wield one blade with both hands. I'm sure people have tried dual-wielding them, but found out that this is extremely unpractical. And this issue is separate from being able to bond several blades, you can wield unbonded shardblades no problem. So I actually wouldn't be surprised if most of those high ranked youths training with their blades ask their peers to borrow a blade in order to dual wield them at least once in their life. And they probably all come to the same realization that it's simply not worth it.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Shardblade chat: if non-dead spren shardblades chan change form as demonstrated by Syl being a spear for Kaladin. Syl has demonstrated that she can alter her size, so it’s conceivably possible for the size of the weapon to be adjustable to make dual-wielding possible.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Shardblade chat: if non-dead spren shardblades chan change form as demonstrated by Syl being a spear for Kaladin. Syl has demonstrated that she can alter her size, so it’s conceivably possible for the size of the weapon to be adjustable to make dual-wielding possible.

Yeah, and Nale probably dual wielded his honorblade and radiant blade. But the original conversation was about these huge, locked-in-form dead sprenblades.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
More Shardblade chat with Oathbringer spoiler Amaram comfortably dual wields two dead shardblades when possessed by Yelig-Nar. I get the feeling without crazy skills honed over centuries it's best to just keep to one blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Shardblade chat: I've been slowly going through the Worlds of Brandon, and one of them mentioned that the only real "cap" for how many Nahel Bonds that can be formed are convincing the various Radiant Spren to bond the same individual at the same time. And it's unlikely you can do that since the spren are looking for different things in people.

Obviously this is talking about living spren, not Deadeyes.