Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If its any consolation you do get a gold per remaining hand so you get a pretty substantial reward for being above the power curve. But I agree there's definitely a gulf between what the game wants out of you and what players actually like doing (taking screenshots of complete overkill).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

No Wave posted:

If its any consolation you do get a gold per remaining hand so you get a pretty substantial reward for being above the power curve. But I agree there's definitely a gulf between what the game wants out of you and what players actually like doing (taking screenshots of complete overkill).

That's because it's a demo. The antes are gonna get insane once the game's finally out, and the higher difficulties will make it so we won't steamroll the earlier levels quite that hard.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah we know the first two additional stakes already, they're "no money reward from small blinds" and "required score scales faster for each ante".

Having said that, I do agree that the game could and maybe should have more comprehensive rewards. Something for holding onto discards or overkill would be nice.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
There's no reason The Fool tarot cards don't create Jokers instead of Judgement. That needs to be fixed in the next five days, what the hell

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

I've got a very bad habit of getting deep into a run, discarding, going to play my next hand and muscle memory has me discard again ruining whatever setup I have. A confirm when discarding a hand over a pair wouldn't be the worst thing. Or I could slow down.

The joker that allows straights to skip a number every card is such a great mechanic. It opens up soo many great late game combos

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
What is letting people get 6 jokers?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

err posted:

What is letting people get 6 jokers?

Negative jokers count as -1 to your total count. It's a trait that can be applied to any joker card.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Negative jokers

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i saw someone streaming the demo for this and i'm hooked

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

LifeLynx posted:

I would also like to see a bonus for beating them by a certain amount, if that can be balanced.

I'd also like to see something other than skipping blinds. The idea of getting a bonus in exchange for missing a shop and a few dollars is a good trade, but it's boring. It's not exciting to not play your deck. Maybe instead of a "skip blind" option, there could be an "all in" option where if you don't win by at least twice the target score, something bad happens. Removing suits/values from cards in your deck at random, losing a big chunk of cash, etc.
That's funny because I finally beat the demo because I skipped a blind to get a guaranteed polychrome Joker in the next shop. I can't even remember what Jokers I had, but that 1.5X mult got me over the hump with a deck built for scoring with two pairs.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
This game is loving digital CRACK.

managed to beat the Demo with the Gift Card combo (one card increases all the Jokers sell value by 1 each round you finish, the other one provides a multiplier bonus per dollar your Jokers are worth.. needless to say, it was up in the 30x multiplier range just from that one joker quickly.

The boss scared me. I was going for a spade-heavy deck (since I had the +4 multiplier for each spade card), and thanks to heavy arcana/planet shenanigans, I had a royal flush of spades, but the boss's ability was that he would select one card, and you either had to make it part of your play, or part of your discard.. three straight rounds he selected something outside of the straight flush.

Next thread title should be "Poker with Joker's Wild, Planets and Crazy Arcana"

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

yeah no kidding. the demos got me hooked.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I didnt bother playing the demo, no need. lol.

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
It's gonna be tough not playing the demo until this releases. I also beat the demo boss after ~20 runs with help from a foil hobo joker, which is a great card for people like me who love spending all their money between blinds. Fun, well-designed, great game.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've beaten this demo 7 times, I just want it to release!

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN
Time to shelve this til it actually releases. I’ve been playing way too much, and don’t want to burn out.

Side note that the Fish blind suuucks. If you’re not at the point where you can clear it in a single hand, it’s 90% luck whether you win.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Thread should have one of these tags:

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Tried, but apparently those tags are locked to a specific forum/subforum, so couldn't post the thread with them.

If the mods are willing to switch the tag to the Poker one though, would not be amiss.

Also, I do plan on updating the OP, just waiting for the game to come out in full.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

report the OP to say "please move to the poker subforum, change the tag, move back"

the mods will need to coordinate activities unless an admin's on hand, so it won't be instant, but it is not beyond the wit of man. maybe worth doing before tuesday, to give them time?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Well we'll see, keeping a tab open to hunt this down when it ends up in the middle of the LP subforum again.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jossar posted:

Tried, but apparently those tags are locked to a specific forum/subforum, so couldn't post the thread with them.

If the mods are willing to switch the tag to the Poker one though, would not be amiss.

Also, I do plan on updating the OP, just waiting for the game to come out in full.

Hello, I have heard the cries of the posters and I've posted in the report thread someone opened (thank you!) to ask astral to help in our time of need. I went and had a look but could not find the poker tag in the list of tags I was able to use. Here's hoping.

e: if I have to coordinate with TG then I will but I'm hoping he can do something clever

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Pragmatica and astral have come through! Thanks admins!

thadmins

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The game should be out today instead of in a few days, IMO.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mozi posted:

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Two pair deck seems to be the easiest way to win through with all 3 demo decks. I have been trying to make a flush deck but I don't seem to ever get the proper planets/jokers. Got within 3K of the W with it today.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mozi posted:

This is extremely true

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
just checked, the game is out

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
not. u got trolled. bitches.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Snooze Cruise posted:

just checked, the game is out

gently caress yes. Let's go. LET'S GO.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Snooze Cruise posted:

not. u got trolled. bitches.

What the gently caress. What the.

I can't loving believe this. How the gently caress could we let this happen.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Where are the mods??

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The game's not even out yet, why would there be mods available already??

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Popete posted:

Where are the mods??

Too emotionally devastated to hit buttons

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I have this game's music stuck in my head.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I hope they did something to alter the scenario of having the "every draw after the opening hand is flipped" boss because it was extremely unfun and there appeared to be no ways to build with that in mind. It's wildly out of whack with the other encounters.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Thirsty Dog posted:

I hope they did something to alter the scenario of having the "every draw after the opening hand is flipped" boss because it was extremely unfun and there appeared to be no ways to build with that in mind. It's wildly out of whack with the other encounters.

This and the dollar per card played have stumped my decks the most.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

sort by suit, discard the right half then sort by suit again and the play the left 5 hoping for a flush.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Philman posted:

sort by suit, discard the right half then sort by suit again and the play the left 5 hoping for a flush.

I thought cards showed up after the discard? That gives you a lot of information, but if you have bad hands you might run out of discards before you can make something happen.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Thirsty Dog posted:

Either have a deck that's reliable enough that you can spend a few discards trading face-down cards for face-up cards, a deck that's strong enough that you can discard to get a perfect hand that will more or less one shot the boss, or have a deck that adds enough base chips and multiplier that it doesn't particularly matter what you play (the banner joker that adds a bunch of chips for every unspent discard is a good start for this kind of build.) Or have a deck built around low number cards where you can sort by rank and play the 5 rightmost cards and probably score ok.

Also, if you see that boss coming then you can try to grab and save a card-modifying tarot since you can use it during the boss fight to reveal face-down cards (and possibly make them irrelevant, if you play a suit change on three facedown cards when you have matching faceup cards to make a flush.)

In general I think over-specializing is often a bit of a trap. If your deck needs specific hands to score reasonably well and it needs a bunch of discards to ensure it gets that hand and it still doesn't chunk off most of the boss's health then either you're devoting too many resources to economic boosts or you're too invested in something with not enough payoff. The face down cards feel mean but realistically you were probably going to die to most bosses in this scenario (outside of a few outliers like the boss that discards held cards, something 99% of builds will not give a poo poo about.)

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Gonna buy this game on my Switch Lite so I can play it in bed.

Also going to buy it on PS4 so I can play it and get trophies.

Also also going to buy it on PC so I can play it when I'm supposed to be doing lame work bullshit.