Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Oh, that’s interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
SA can't come soon enough!!!

New planet looks great and the tease about new gameplay is exciting. I almost wish they weren't sharing so much so it was more a mystery discovering these new planets, but also I can't see myself avoiding spoilers for another 9 months soooo just gonna embrace it.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Tenebrais posted:

So we've got a volcano planet and a post-apocalyptic planet. A frozen ice planet feels like an inevitable direction, and there's the brightly-coloured planet teased last week:

(I am remembering right that there's four new planets in this expansion, right?)

Anyway, the existince of ancient alien ruins implies there's going to be some sort of story going on with this world, to explain who they were and why they aren't here any more. Factorio's never been a plot game, so it'll be interesting to see how that'll go.
Solar power is almost certainly going to be practically worthless here, but the lightning storms are an obvious alternative power source. That'll be interesting to play with.

Yes, 4 new planets, the diagram they've shown is which seems to indicate you launch from Nauvis to a choice of 3 planets, and you can go from them to another, final science planet. I'd guess that the connections tab for Vulcanus shows the connection between Nauvis/Vulcanus and Vulcanus/Finalplanet. Also explains why the icons look the way they do.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

For me there's a marked difference between knowing what's coming and experiencing it. Give me all the prerelease material you can send out, as it will not compare to actually getting around to doing it personally.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

EVGA Longoria posted:

Yes, 4 new planets, the diagram they've shown is which seems to indicate you launch from Nauvis to a choice of 3 planets, and you can go from them to another, final science planet. I'd guess that the connections tab for Vulcanus shows the connection between Nauvis/Vulcanus and Vulcanus/Finalplanet. Also explains why the icons look the way they do.

So we've seen red planet and dead planet, and they still have to talk about green planet and earth-like planet?
I really wish they could give an indication of when this expansion is releasing.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

kanonvandekempen posted:

So we've seen red planet and dead planet, and they still have to talk about green planet and earth-like planet?
I really wish they could give an indication of when this expansion is releasing.

'at least a year' frrom when they started doing dev diaries, which was 25 weeks ago.

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012

Phobeste posted:

And very different from spaceex

Actually this is from the spaceex roadmap as per Earendel on his discord:

Earendel posted:

I won’t say much about it now because it will be covered in future FFF. This does take some parts from the SE roadmap which I know some people aren’t thrilled about, but this way the game engine has upgrades to properly support these features and it’s much better this way.

Excited for the potential for big differences in the way the planets play, although I am worried that like most overhaul mods you're only interesting options with energy are big raw resource demand (coal), processing loop (nuclear) or variable rate + storage (Nullius wind, exotic industry nuclear, lighting power?). I'm not sure what a different kind of issue could be, but that's why the designers get the big bucks.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It was sort of inevitable that a few of the big things on the SE roadmap would end up in the expansion. It does make we wonder what the next big update for SE is going to look like.

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Nea posted:

'at least a year' frrom when they started doing dev diaries, which was 25 weeks ago.

So we're at least half way there!

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Much stronger narrative in this FFF than maybe anything we've seen from the Factorio devs before. I doubt they'll work that in to the game proper (they've relied exclusively on Show don't tell so far) but it was a cool change of pace for this post. Pretty cool way to introduce the new planet, but I'm obviously fiending for more details. Seems like a pretty good bet that this will be the recycling planet - digging through the ruins of some ancient civ to turn it in to iron gears or whatever. Also harnessing lightning as a power source is going to make this an accumulator-heavy planet that has big spikes of energy production that you'll have to weather (hawhaw) until the next storm comes around I would guess.

Yeah, they said "at least a year" near the end of last summer, so I'm hoping for an autumn release this year. Every week my hype builds and there's still so much more poo poo to show - I'm incredibly stoked. Although I'm not sure I can even stomach a pure vanilla, mod free game - there's so many QoL things that I've come to rely on that almost certainly don't make it in to the base game. Stuff like Long Reach, and Squeak Through are probably the least game break-y but still too out of line with their vision for the base game that I would seriously miss playing without them.

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012

SettingSun posted:

It was sort of inevitable that a few of the big things on the SE roadmap would end up in the expansion. It does make we wonder what the next big update for SE is going to look like.

IIRC 0.7 was doing all the custom planets (16 different ones) and breaking apart space science to not just be the same thing 16 times. There were also some cargo rocket tweaks mentioned to make them cheaper/smaller so shooting them everywhere is less of hassle.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

My quantum computing rig for Ultracube. This was a really fun puzzle to figure out automation for.

For context, this machine has six possible input items. One pair of any two inputs (including two of the same) produces science, and the pair that's valid is randomized every time the successful input is found. The circuit network I set up iterates through every possible set of input pairs in sequence in order to guarantee it'll eventually find the right combination each time.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I took a more...direct approach.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Venuz Patrol posted:

My quantum computing rig for Ultracube. This was a really fun puzzle to figure out automation for.

For context, this machine has six possible input items. One pair of any two inputs (including two of the same) produces science, and the pair that's valid is randomized every time the successful input is found. The circuit network I set up iterates through every possible set of input pairs in sequence in order to guarantee it'll eventually find the right combination each time.

Wow, that's way more compact than my version of the same process.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

Tenebrais posted:

So we've got a volcano planet and a post-apocalyptic planet. A frozen ice planet feels like an inevitable direction, and there's the brightly-coloured planet teased last week:

(I am remembering right that there's four new planets in this expansion, right?)

A while back, before Vulcanus got revealed, they posted a blurred out list of the four planets in an FFF article. Someone on Reddit ran that through a 'de-noise' algorithm or something or other, and got back four names: Vulcanus, Fulgora, Bacchus, and Aquilo. Two of those names have been confirmed, so I'm willing to believe the other two are accurate as well.

Bacchus is probably the super duper bright planet. The god of wine and vegetation (among other things), so I'm guessing it'll be a planet covered in dense vegetation and/or acid. Maybe it'll give us a new way to handle liquid processing, like Vulcanus gives us new smelting tools, and it looks like Fulgora will give us new ways to handle power. Maybe ways to make biofuel generators, or liquid rocket fuel?

And Aquilo will be the token ice planet. The god of the north wind and winter. Probably this system's equivalent of Pluto; Furthest from the sun, frozen, no solar energy, etc.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Yea, and ice world would be a good trope. I didn't expect the desert archaeology lightning world, and was expecting a barren space world where we needed to do things very differently. I suppose that does just sound like the orbital platforms though, so makes some sense not to be a whole planet.

If we take Nauvis as a starting point, I suppose it makes sense that all other locations are different. We get somewhere hotter in Vulcanus, somewhere colder Aquilo, somewhere more verdant and full of life in Bacchus, and desolate and barren in Fulgora. On top of all is the space platform / space ship realm.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Can the engine support actual moving platforms with working constructs on top of them? Or is the space platform thing more of a background-is-animated-as moving thing, I wonder. I want an alien planet made of shifting 32x32 chunk tiles that you can’t control but can build on, so that you have to position your inputs and outputs strategically to take advantage of when things line up

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

“Factorio but it’s on a train” is some deep factorio poisoning

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Harvey Baldman posted:

Or is the space platform thing more of a background-is-animated-as moving thing, I wonder.

It's this, I'm pretty certain. Like, I think they said as much somewhere.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

well why not posted:

“Factorio but it’s on a train” is some deep factorio poisoning

Oh no

Oh dear

We’re on track for a snowpiercer mod

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Factorisnowpiercer was right there

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Surely the cheap work around is to have train carriages that link to a Factorissimo interior?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Inserters hanging off the edge, grabbing salvage for refining as it goes.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Rynoto posted:

Inserters hanging off the edge, grabbing salvage for refining as it goes.

This is an awesome mental image. Also, transferring stuff between wagons can be done by chucking something off the side for something further down to grab.

Throughput is unlimited, but anything that isn't grabbed before reaching the tail end is lost forever (or until another train passes by) :D

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Factorissimo but train carriages.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

I want this badly now.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Believe in yourself, practice, and you’ll be able to want it very well

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Question for the 'don't do balanced chest unloading from trains or lane balance your train output' team:

Most of my stone goes into shared belts that are relatively low draw, between this and inserter preference I find consumption is very unbalanced between lanes. My main draw is a crushing setup for sand (playing K2) that can sink a full belt of stone. Because of draw being generally off of one lane, no lane balancing, and no unload balancing, I'm seeing half of my unload chests run dry between train loads vs unloading evenly. Is there something I'm doing wrong other than not enough production or not having lane or chest balancers as part of my unload setup?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Jetamo posted:

Surely the cheap work around is to have train carriages that link to a Factorissimo interior?

So the Factorio surfaces aren't infinite, you'd have to do the thing where the background is scrolling and it just appears that you're moving.

I'm thinking thematically i'd have to be something like a deep space generation ship, rather than a terrestrial train? Like I know enough LUA to make this happen, and can mockup stuff in Solidworks to export to blender and render, but would need to figure out the render options to make things look correct but i'm sure there are plenty of tutorials on the forums. There is no reason you can't make it land based, but like snow piercer it just seems weird to keep a linear train in motion for decades at a time, (or in movie/game runtime lengths at least)

Your goal would be to make things to feed fuel into the engine, in the front car. And build things to upgrade the engine. You'd be able to place more cars, factorisimo style, further and further to the left. Whatever happens inside the car 'surface' would be reflected in the top level map, same as factorisimo, but you're always "inside" the vehicle from the start.

Maybe unlike real factorio there is an actual lose condition - if you don't keep up enough speed whatever is chasing you starts destroying your rear most carriage and working its way up the train. That could easily result in a failure spiral, but also losing carriages would speed you up again so maybe theres a good way to balance it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Question for the 'don't do balanced chest unloading from trains or lane balance your train output' team:

Most of my stone goes into shared belts that are relatively low draw, between this and inserter preference I find consumption is very unbalanced between lanes. My main draw is a crushing setup for sand (playing K2) that can sink a full belt of stone. Because of draw being generally off of one lane, no lane balancing, and no unload balancing, I'm seeing half of my unload chests run dry between train loads vs unloading evenly. Is there something I'm doing wrong other than not enough production or not having lane or chest balancers as part of my unload setup?

This is why that team is wrong, and circuit balancing is best. But you at least need splitters to do it.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah I've always got balancers coming off the unloading zone before it hits the base, I'll throw my circuit unloaders back on.

Starting to see the end of K2, just unlocked the final science pack and wowzers thats a massive jump in resource requirements. 1 science/second of the last couple types was generally around 10 copper/s, this last one takes 190/s plus 90 plastic/s. Might just setup a new copper unloading station right in my science area instead of dealing with snaking multiple new lines of copper through my bus.

I was really hoping the matter stabilizers came out of the process in their uncharged state and it was just a circular loop of charging them, but looks like they get fully consumed and making the uncharged stabilizers needs a massive amount of low density structures for the energy control units.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

M_Gargantua posted:

So the Factorio surfaces aren't infinite, you'd have to do the thing where the background is scrolling and it just appears that you're moving.

I'm thinking thematically i'd have to be something like a deep space generation ship, rather than a terrestrial train? Like I know enough LUA to make this happen, and can mockup stuff in Solidworks to export to blender and render, but would need to figure out the render options to make things look correct but i'm sure there are plenty of tutorials on the forums. There is no reason you can't make it land based, but like snow piercer it just seems weird to keep a linear train in motion for decades at a time, (or in movie/game runtime lengths at least)

Your goal would be to make things to feed fuel into the engine, in the front car. And build things to upgrade the engine. You'd be able to place more cars, factorisimo style, further and further to the left. Whatever happens inside the car 'surface' would be reflected in the top level map, same as factorisimo, but you're always "inside" the vehicle from the start.

Maybe unlike real factorio there is an actual lose condition - if you don't keep up enough speed whatever is chasing you starts destroying your rear most carriage and working its way up the train. That could easily result in a failure spiral, but also losing carriages would speed you up again so maybe theres a good way to balance it.

I love a lot of this concept.

The seed of the idea for me was seeing the recent update they did of the alien artifact-laden planet and then thinking in the shower about other planetary 'types' that could be added by future mods. It felt like if there was a planet of alien artifacts then maybe you'd find something like an alien 'forgeworld', which led me to the idea of a planet made of moving platforms that took 32x32 blocks and turned them into a sort of sliding block puzzle. They'd move in patterns you could plan around, and would 'pause' for a period of time before moving again. Some would have resources on them, and you'd have to position inputs and outputs in a strategically 'fixed' way to take advantage of those paused moments to circulate material or resources across the plates. I haven't actually played Ultracube yet but I imagine it's probably a similar puzzle vibe where you're trying to manage a solution in a moment-to-moment fashion.

I realize most of that is probably not something the Factorio engine can support, so the take of doing this Factorissimo-esque on a train or deep-space generation ship is also great. Personally, I like the train take better because it's Factorio. Maybe it's something like this idea in Riddick, where it's an equatorial super-rail on a planet that has an absolutely insane day/night line that incinerates or freezes the planet respectively, and you ride the 'sweet spot' around the planet while building resource harvesters you can drop in specific places that take advantage of the weird planetary properties.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I picked back up my Nullius game and man, the mod is something. Made my way into computer science. Things I'm learning:
-Organic chemistry is cool but fluid handling is onerous
-This mod is secretly a byproduct disposal simulator
-Where is all my hydrogen
-Electrolysis is electrically expensive
-Windmills, please generate more power I beg you

I'm reticent to expand my electrolysis capability because even in surge mode that just means they'll be working during the day when my solar panels are on. My choices of expandable power are wind and thermal; everything else right now is effectively power as a byproduct. Windmills suck but are easy to make and I guess I can make whole fields of them. I think I can make something of thermal with these heat collectors with steam tanks as energy storage but it needs a layout with a lot of collectors, exchangers and turbines. I'll make it work.

Mod is good. Wish I had a head for cleaner fluid layouts.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

SettingSun posted:

If you're not against powerful mods, I recommend Advanced Fluid Handling. The 1 segment underground connector, L and T junction undergrounders are all amazing at helping simplify layouts. Plus you can tell yourself it's good for UPS because it is less pipe entities. The configurable above-ground connectors get very powerful with how much space you can save and what kind of layouts you can pull off when you don't need to worry about as many normal pipes running in to each other.

I don't think we've seen any sort of pipe improvements coming in the expansion so I assume they are happy with the moderately clumsy normal pipe and underground interactions. But also Vanilla Factorio only has 8 total fluids and you pass that point by green science in Nullius so I think the increased power level is fine to match the increased complexity.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I actually have that mod installed since it's a recommendation. I have the tech but I haven't messed with it, since I am not prepared to rework my fluids just yet.

I read the FAQ on Nullius and it recommends turning off brine electrolysis unless you need the chlorine. Which makes sense. Chlorine and lye are the two things you can only get that way (for now?), and I constantly have an abundance of both. I can instead run a second electrolyzer of distilled water and maybe meet my hydrogen demand. The FAQ even goes as far to say that you should eventually have a dedicated setup exclusively for sending out chlorine and lye/caustic solution elsewhere. I'll get there.

I'm currently working on a setup for steel so I can get more rail out. That means working backwards and having a good setup for iron, and I want to use the cool crushed iron recipe which needs graphite, which is only acquired through sequestration via CO+H2 reactions. Science.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I wish I had more time for Nullius. It is really delightful that they sprinkle in new recipes that look like old recipes but are new recipes (like pure water hydrolysis) and new recipes that look like old recipes and are, but they eat byproducts and turn them into yield. Adds to the feeling that no matter how much you're using something like Factory Planner or Helmod you're still calling the shots on important prioritization decisions on what recipes to focus on including and replacing.

"Second hydrolyzer" and you're already in computer science? drat I'm a conservative builder and my base was made of surge electrolyzers by the end of mechanical science between hydrogen feedstock and using them as batteries woth burners.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

zedprime posted:

I wish I had more time

New thread title and also the story of my life

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SettingSun posted:

I picked back up my Nullius game and man, the mod is something. Made my way into computer science. Things I'm learning:
-Organic chemistry is cool but fluid handling is onerous
-This mod is secretly a byproduct disposal simulator
-Where is all my hydrogen
-Electrolysis is electrically expensive
-Windmills, please generate more power I beg you

I'm reticent to expand my electrolysis capability because even in surge mode that just means they'll be working during the day when my solar panels are on. My choices of expandable power are wind and thermal; everything else right now is effectively power as a byproduct. Windmills suck but are easy to make and I guess I can make whole fields of them. I think I can make something of thermal with these heat collectors with steam tanks as energy storage but it needs a layout with a lot of collectors, exchangers and turbines. I'll make it work.

If you've got solar thermal you've got clunky but infinitely expanding solar now.

About 100 solar thermal panels will satisfy 12 boilers running fresh water from the ground pumps. This will simultaneously purify it and make steam without putting strain on your electrical grid. Great for making power, or using steam electrolysis which is about 4x cheaper in terms of power/electrolysis machines.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

zedprime posted:

"Second hydrolyzer" and you're already in computer science? drat I'm a conservative builder and my base was made of surge electrolyzers by the end of mechanical science between hydrogen feedstock and using them as batteries woth burners.

By computer science I mean purple electrical engineering which to my understanding is pretty early. I play pretty slowly. I'm at 16 hours and I'm maybe 40% automated. Lots of hand delivery. Really puts into perspective what my friend and I have going in SE, where we're getting ready to start deep space science.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Ahhh yes you've finished the tutorial. Time to build half a dozen surge electrolyzers and a sick half pipe to power them.