Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Ms Adequate posted:

This is so insane that I have to imagine there's a story of some kind. A bet to make a control scheme without using a face button? A setup for someone with an incredibly specific disability where they could still hit R3 but nothing else on that side of the controller? :psyduck:

It seems like the idea is to make it so you can do everything without ever taking you hands off the control sticks. Which can be a good goal, nobody likes having to do the claw to hit face buttons and move the right stick at the same time. It just looks like in this case they have a few too many actions to make it work comfortably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

That reminds me of the absolutely buck wild control scheme that the Pirates of the Carribean game had on PC. Left click to move forwards, right click to move backwards, spacebar to attack, enter to open the quick command menu. It was like somebody trying to invent a M+KB control scheme from first principles :psyduck:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Perestroika posted:

That reminds me of the absolutely buck wild control scheme that the Pirates of the Carribean game had on PC. Left click to move forwards, right click to move backwards, spacebar to attack, enter to open the quick command menu. It was like somebody trying to invent a M+KB control scheme from first principles :psyduck:

:catstare:

I want whoever came up with this feverdream of a design dragged out into the streets and locked into stocks for public mockery.

That's a punishment from pirate times, right?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I know a few old FPSs defaulted to having right-click as a secondary move forward, but that is just deranged.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Perestroika posted:

I think I tried out those controls when I was first mucking around with mouse look in Quake 1 (back before things really got standardised).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Putting dodge on a non-face button is a disgrace.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

Didn't FFXVI do that?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Caveat - if your game’s dodge option is an I-frame dash then it should probably be an option to use the shoulder buttons.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Speaking of controls and d-pads, the Tony Hawk remaster is pretty great but I have trouble using the analog stick, especially to do tricks. Biggest issue is that decades of muscle memory make it difficult for me to use the d-pad

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's usually spacebar, holding ctrl, or double tapping a directional key.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Philippe posted:

It's usually spacebar, holding ctrl, or double tapping a directional key.

This guy Hawks

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I know the early 00's were filled with goofy control schemes before everyone got things generally figured out, but this?
Completely bonkers, what the hell.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bifner McDoogle posted:

I'm not clever enough

Yes, we’ve read your posts lmao

Nah im just having some fun with you.

You’re good people

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Perestroika posted:

My friend who was the best of all of us by far at quake had right click as move forward. Left click was shoot still, and asd were mapped the same. I forget if F was something special, but the idea was you could instantly move backwards and forwards since you didn't have to pick up and lift your finger to go from W to S.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

the only game allowed to put jump on a shoulder button is Ape Escape for the PSX

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Riatsala posted:

the only game allowed to put jump on a shoulder button is Ape Escape for the PSX

Feel like the best thing to use shoulder buttons for is making the ape scratch their head.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Enter the Matrix on the Xbox mapped the ‘Shoot gun’ button to the black/white buttons. It was incredibly awkward on the smaller Xbox controllers, and almost unusable on the big original style controller.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh boy, perfect timing since I'm finally getting around to playing the first Metal Gear Solid, with all its wonky controls. Especially pressing Y to aim my gun, and releasing to fire. :barf:

It's doubly weird because I started the series with MGSV, which is still my favorite implementation of general action/shooting game controls. Going back to 2 and 3, and now 1, it's an exercise in frustration every time, dealing with the dated mechanics of otherwise classic games.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
One of the best things Steam has done is being able to remap any button on a controller to any other button. It does have problems when it does this without telling you it’s doing it, which is also how people made the Garfield racing game restart your computer when you pressed any button.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ugly In The Morning posted:

One of the best things Steam has done is being able to remap any button on a controller to any other button. It does have problems when it does this without telling you it’s doing it, which is also how people made the Garfield racing game restart your computer when you pressed any button.

True heroes attempting to avert a bad fate :patriot:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Lies of P is pretty fun.

Except the rafter poo poo in the church. This is in fact anti-fun.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My friends and I spent a bunch of time tonight in Baldurs Gate 3 going through a real tough section where, essentially, you have five turns to rescue a bunch of people from a place that's falling apart. It's tricky as hell but with a combination of skills, spells, and scrolls, we were able to pull it off and...game crashes when we return. Reload a save a couple turns back, same thing. Absolutely infuriating, especially this seems to be a problem that has been going on for a while.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
LAD Infinite Wealth Sujimon spoilers: insanely hosed up that Sodachi learned how to channel the Satsui no Hadou but lost it after four fights. I guess it’s my fault for not just curbstomping every trainer battle while I was OP though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hel posted:

I know a few old FPSs defaulted to having right-click as a secondary move forward, but that is just deranged.

Doom had this iirc.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I played the first one and am a good amount into the second one so I haven’t seen everything but the fact that the Horizon games on the PlayStation don’t seem to have spider machines seems like a missed opportunity

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

sebmojo posted:

Doom had this iirc.

I thought doom 1 only supported mouse movement and not mouse look originally, so didn't moving the mouse foward and backward move you that way? I only played it with e keyboard, but I remember being really disoriented trying Hexen 2 after I'd been playing Half-Life because the control scheme was back to goofy things for the mouse in an FPS other than mouse look.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I don't think anything had "mouselook" until Quake.

That was when I first experienced it, anyway.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

moosecow333 posted:

Enter the Matrix on the Xbox mapped the ‘Shoot gun’ button to the black/white buttons. It was incredibly awkward on the smaller Xbox controllers, and almost unusable on the big original style controller.

A controller with literal triggers, and they mapped "shoot gun" to some obscure option button that most people barely used? What the hell?

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

oldpainless posted:

I played the first one and am a good amount into the second one so I haven’t seen everything but the fact that the Horizon games on the PlayStation don’t seem to have spider machines seems like a missed opportunity

All the machines ingame are roughly true-to-life size and real or extinct animals, so I’d imagine that was part of the art design specs. Which means no bugs because no up/down scaling.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

All the machines ingame are roughly true-to-life size and real or extinct animals, so I’d imagine that was part of the art design specs. Which means no bugs because no up/down scaling.

Counterpoint: The Rockbreaker

Also: gently caress Rockbreakers

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

I thought doom 1 only supported mouse movement and not mouse look originally, so didn't moving the mouse foward and backward move you that way? I only played it with e keyboard, but I remember being really disoriented trying Hexen 2 after I'd been playing Half-Life because the control scheme was back to goofy things for the mouse in an FPS other than mouse look.

Doom supports horizontal but not vertical mouse look by default. Sebmojo is right, it also includes mouse movement (forward) which is generally called “lookspring” in FPS control settings, although Doom is early enough it doesn’t call it that. John Romero figured out using keyboard strafing and mouselook to turn around Doom’s release and got very good at winning deathmatch by literally circlestrafing around people while they couldn’t keep up.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

oldpainless posted:

The Corruptors and Deathbringers are kind of spider-adjacent already despite not being strictly animal-shaped, so I think there would be bit too much overlap.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Guerrilla said they prototyped insectoid machines but wanted to differentiate them from the more spindly arthropodic Faro bots.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Arivia posted:

Doom supports horizontal but not vertical mouse look by default.

Remember the original Doom didn't have vertical at all, it was all tricks. Hence there not being aiming vertically, you just moved horizontally and the shot would hit whether the enemy was above or below you.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Back in the nineties I remember my friend playing Marathon with a control scheme where movement was mapped to the mouse while look was mapped to KB, so he was constantly picking his mouse up just to move forward, weird poo poo.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Arivia posted:

Doom supports horizontal but not vertical mouse look by default. Sebmojo is right, it also includes mouse movement (forward) which is generally called “lookspring” in FPS control settings, although Doom is early enough it doesn’t call it that. John Romero figured out using keyboard strafing and mouselook to turn around Doom’s release and got very good at winning deathmatch by literally circlestrafing around people while they couldn’t keep up.

I'm old enough to remember when circle strafing was a newfangled concept, and gaming magazines had articles about how Yes, you should actually use your mouse when playing a first person shooter rather than just having keyboard keys as your controls.

Also, the absolute king of bizarre and esoteric control schemes has to be system shock, which in its original release had actual icon buttons on the heads up display that you would click for movement, rotation, and changing between standing crouching and prone.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I learned to circle strafe in Doom using the keyboard alone. Right hand for arrow keys to turn, comma and period to sidestep, left hand for Ctrl to shoot. When I think back to it my hands ache now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Last Celebration posted:

LAD Infinite Wealth Sujimon spoilers: insanely hosed up that Sodachi learned how to channel the Satsui no Hadou but lost it after four fights. I guess it’s my fault for not just curbstomping every trainer battle while I was OP though.

just use the council agent guys to fully awaken him and he gets it back

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I wish Elden RIng's map had an item/key filter or whatever I should call it. Like if I just wanted to display the merchants or caves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

just use the council agent guys to fully awaken him and he gets it back

oh sick, kinda surprised that’s a thing since he does like twice as much damage as any other Suji but I’m not complaining.