Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

To be honest, neither option really appealed to me when I played… solely because I got hung up on them losing their anti-air attack. Didn’t matter how rare air actually was in the campaign, or how Kerrigan could just mulch them solo anyways, I just couldn’t get past losing the one thing hydras have over most Zerg, so I almost never bothered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It's not really a hydra replacement so much as another unit option that gets built from a hydra. You're not really losing the anti air bwcause that hydra was always earmarked to be the imapler you needed. Lurkers/impalers fill a very, very different role than hydra, and the number of times you would bother with the morph outside of your base are minimal.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

BisbyWorl posted:

Essence Count: 59

Fun Fact #1: The Cinematic Impaler Hydralisk doesn't look anything like the in-game version of the Impaler Hydralisk:

Fun Fact #2: The Cinematic Impaler Hydralisk was used as the basis for the Noxious Hydralisk premium skin.

Fun Fact #3: The Noxious Hydralisk premium skin is definitely not worth its pricetag.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oooh, only 2.50 for a lovely skin that makes the game even more of a visual mess where it's too difficult to tell things apart or what's going on? A total bargain.

Why does Daggoth's old "brood" planet have banelings, that didn't exist back when he was alive?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Why does Kerrigan care about "The Zerg" not being anyone's pawns when she doesn't ever actually care about them? The generic Zerg have animal-level intellect and just get thrown at things to explode and die, but Kerrigan doesn't seem to really respect any of the named, speaking Zerg either. She sure as hell didn't respect the Cerebrates back when they existed, that one brood mother just got left in space, she treats Iszha as an organic laptop, Abathur gets put into a psionic headlock the moment he expresses any sort of individuality, and Dehaka just sits in a corner screaming "ESSENCE ESSENCE ESSENCE" like a deranged parrot.

It's the sort of statement that would make sense if Kerrigan had some sort of long-term planning thing going on where she wanted to make the Zerg less of a threat to other intelligent life(after she used them for her revenge, of course): wind down the hostility of the animal types, give more freedom to the intelligent ones and help them find hobbies that don't involve peeling other sapients alive for their juicy DNA, etc. but as it stands it just feels like the sort of broad, noble-but-angry statement one of the writers saw in an X-Men comic once and and thought would sound cool.

I wish that I knew if all these dangling little chunks are the result of sheer bad writing or a ton of rewrites leaving clunky shrapnel everywhere.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

PurpleXVI posted:

I wish that I knew if all these dangling little chunks are the result of sheer bad writing or a ton of rewrites leaving clunky shrapnel everywhere.

It's Blizzard, nothing being written here is something to take at anything other than extreme face value. This has not been thought about as an ongoing narrative about a woman and the bioweapon she controls in her quest for revenge growing, learning about their predecessors and changing their place in the galaxy, as much as we probably kind of wish it was/ it has to be to have Kerrigan not be a total monster.

Instead, its a combination of bits that Blizzard thinks they can monetise later (whatever you feel about her design, Kerrigan as a Zerg-human is probably one of the most well known/ iconic Blizzard characters) and visuals that they think they can get in while driving this train directly to the finale.

Kerrigan has a certain number of things and story beats that have to happen here for the story to get to where they want before the finale of SC2 and if any detail gets in the way of that, that detail probably had to be removed. This will come back to bite them.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 18, 2024

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Kerrigan identifies herself as a zerg, possibly because of the shared commonality of being a pawn for someone else: the Confederacy, Mengsk, the Overmind, the UED, Amon

in turn individual zergs strongly identify with Zergdom as a whole, to the point where individual survival is less important than the welfare of the community. this is where Dehaka's philosophy overlaps with the Swarm's - one dies, one grows stronger - and where the other primal pack leaders differed

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

BisbyWorl posted:

Intermission 7

You missed an essence

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Poil posted:

Oooh, only 2.50 for a lovely skin that makes the game even more of a visual mess where it's too difficult to tell things apart or what's going on? A total bargain.

Why does Daggoth's old "brood" planet have banelings, that didn't exist back when he was alive?

Those aren't banelings.

They're zerglings who had taco bell for however many years between daggoth dying and now.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

PurpleXVI posted:

Why does Kerrigan care about "The Zerg" not being anyone's pawns when she doesn't ever actually care about them?

She's projecting. She's been the pawn of many different entities: the Confederacy, Arcturus Mengsk, the Overmind, Valerian Mengsk, Amon, and even The Prophecy. She's the survivor of unimaginable levels of manipulation and abuse and she identifies with the Zerg being used as a tool because both she and the Zerg as an entire race have been used as tools for pretty much their entire existence.

Of course, the story will never mention this in any significant capacity because it will be too busy portraying the only barest of surface level narratives because, and I really need to emphasize this here; Heart of the Swarm's story was a first draft with only very minor revisions made as gameplay demanded.

I should also mention that Kerrigan and Sylvanas share extremely similar attitudes and plot beats and it's not too much of an exaggeration to say that they're basically the same character, right down to their spiteful attitudes and the "the abuse isn't the problem, it's that I specifically was being abused, it's fine when I'm the one doing the abusing and actually being an abuser rules" outlook.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

You missed the impaler trick in the evolution mission, where there's a check to make sure you actually have hydras to morph, which happens slightly after getting the ability to morph them, so if you do your existing hydras quickly enough it'll spawn a bunch more and you get double impalers, which is completely useless but it's fun to stunt on the terrans.

Impalers and lurkers are both pretty useless imo, the campaign just doesn't really have much defensive action and their siege capabilities aren't really worth the effort you need to burrow micro. The impaler range is nice but I'd usually rather just have units that can walk and talk. Lurkers get a better showing in co-op, at least.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the impaler hydras look cooler

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Qwertycoatl posted:

You missed an essence

Noted, thanks.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Kith posted:

She's projecting. She's been the pawn of many different entities: the Confederacy, Arcturus Mengsk, the Overmind, Valerian Mengsk, Amon, and even The Prophecy. She's the survivor of unimaginable levels of manipulation and abuse and she identifies with the Zerg being used as a tool because both she and the Zerg as an entire race have been used as tools for pretty much their entire existence.

Of course, the story will never mention this in any significant capacity because it will be too busy portraying the only barest of surface level narratives because, and I really need to emphasize this here; Heart of the Swarm's story was a first draft with only very minor revisions made as gameplay demanded.

I should also mention that Kerrigan and Sylvanas share extremely similar attitudes and plot beats and it's not too much of an exaggeration to say that they're basically the same character, right down to their spiteful attitudes and the "the abuse isn't the problem, it's that I specifically was being abused, it's fine when I'm the one doing the abusing and actually being an abuser rules" outlook.

This was true for much of WoW, but they diverged enough in Shadowlands. I mean, their ultimate (?) fate could hardly be more different.

Heart of the Swarm's story is really nothing to write home about, but it never really bothered me compared to some of the things in WoL and LoV.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead

BisbyWorl posted:

Zerus 3: Supreme

I- wait. Zerus is all about constantly fighting and might makes right, but all primal zerg on the planet are controlled by three people? And they're all just here?

This makes much more sense after you figure out that the Zerg aren't an insectile hive mind based on equal parts Warhammer Tyranids and Alien Xenomorphs (themselves the major inspiration for the Tyranids), nor are they Warcraft Dragons, but are in fact D&D Slaadi. You know, the absolute embodiment of creativity and chaos, which happens to manifest in the form of slight color variations on Frog except for 3-4 dudes who bully the rest because they can afford to buy a unique model

We are long since past the point where while originally playing I realized SC2 was up there with the absolute worst media-tie-in writing I'd ever seen, it wasn't going to get better, and I completely checked out. I'm just here for the laffs now.

Torchlighter posted:

Join with other like-minded Primals and stop living your life like a Swarmer. Live the life YOU deserve, stop taking advice from guys like this

Like that. Thank you.

PurpleXVI posted:

I feel like one thing that makes Kerrigan a bit less interesting as a character in HOTS is that Raynor had to deal with a bunch of, supposedly, equals, who could tell him he was being a moron or disagree with him.

Kerrigan's surrounded by a bunch of psychically dominated thralls and yes-creatures, so there's no real... conversations going on? No one ever challenges her in any way or forces her to explain herself or anything.

Turns out the real reason the Overmind sullied the perfect unity of purpose in his hivemind swarm by generating cerebrate generals with egos and weird personality quirks is because he was just so effing bored, you guys.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

bladededge posted:

Turns out the real reason the Overmind sullied the perfect unity of purpose in his hivemind swarm by generating cerebrate generals with egos and weird personality quirks is because he was just so effing bored, you guys.
How you like my groove Daggoth?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

well done

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

BisbyWorl posted:

But not perfect?

Never perfect. Perfection goal that changes. Never stops moving. Can chase, cannot catch.

Abathur's still the best.

This character, man, this character. Why isn't it the main protagonist? So much better than anyone else.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Speech pattern annoying. Unsuitable for main character.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Xarn posted:

Analysis flawed. Disregards evidence. Illogical. Essence flawed.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Warmachine posted:

Analysis flawed. Disregards evidence. Illogical. Essence flawed.

Poster never heard of Mordin. Paragon of character type. Pitiful. Significant knowledge gap. Should correct. Probably won't.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Xarn posted:

Much like your posting :hehe:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Impalers are pretty useful in a couple of points later in the campaign. The biggest one I can think of is that in the last mission, there's a side objective to defend a point that can be handled for pretty much the whole mission with 2-3 impalers set there and forgotten.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Admiralty Flag posted:

Poster never heard of Mordin. Paragon of character type. Pitiful. Significant knowledge gap. Should correct. Probably won't.

I don't see Abathur suddenly breaking into a Gilbert & Sullivan adaptation.
But yeah, we could have had Abathur special evolutions instead of Nova covert ops and it's a tragedy.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Admiralty Flag posted:

That fucker was annoying as well, but at least he could sing. (Also still not a main character)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Omobono posted:

Of course not.

Now, Rage Against the Machine, on the other hand…

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Omobono posted:

I'm the very model of the evolution architect

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Kith posted:

Much like your posting :hehe:

billions dead

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Szarrukin posted:

I'm the very model of the evolution architect

Have information. Vegetable. Anima-
ESSENCE COLLECT

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Worth noting: Not only are Lurkers laughably inferior to Imaplers for the purposes of the campaign, Lurkers are also inferior to their own Co-op and Multiplayer counterparts. Campaign Lurkers have a Range of 6. Multiplayer Lurkers have a range of 8, which can be upgraded to 10, while Co-op Lurkers have range 9, upgrading to 12. Though it's also worth noting that Co-op and Multiplayer Lurkers get their bonus damage vs Armored instead of Light.

Also, I think that first Kaldir conversation with Dehaka may happen no matter what? I suspect we'll see that after the first Char mission, but it's an important conversation that clarifies a spot of confusion about Dehaka that came up previously. Dehaka collects Essence just like any of the Pack Leaders Kerrigan just mulched, but the difference is, he's not aiming for Power. He's aiming for constant change. Constant adaptation. He is a river, flowing, adapting, changing. The Pack Leaders accumulate power, and try to stand against anything that challenges them - no matter how much more powerful that challenger may be. Dehaka recognized a superior force when he saw it, and decided to follow Kerrigan, rather than challenge her. The other Pack Leaders just saw a threat to their Power, and attacked.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

Even if power wasn't a consideration, Impalers are just so much cooler. The way they send huge tentacles to rip things apart from underneath is peak schlocky sci-fi horror. Super fun to use.

This one might be the biggest no-brainer of the evolutions. And the first time I went into it expecting to want the Lurker just for nostalgia's sake, but the Impaler is just rad.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

JohnKilltrane posted:

Even if power wasn't a consideration, Impalers are just so much cooler. The way they send huge tentacles to rip things apart from underneath is peak schlocky sci-fi horror. Super fun to use.

This is why I miss sunken colonies from SC1. Seeing that thing just spike out of the ground and split a marine in two was always beautiful. Spine crawlers don't have the same feel, being basically just thornwhips.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Kith posted:

The fact it's a first draft makes sense. It feels like somebody had the basic outline of a wrote it up, then never really got to expand on the things that needed expanding and excising the stupider elements. Zerus could be better explained if the brood leaders you fought were only on Continent A rather than Leaders of the entire planet. Which is something a LOT of sci-fi tends to ignore (the fact that realistically a planetary invasion would take a LOT more than one fight at the capitol).

At least it's not as much of an "Oh crap what do we do now" as THe Last Jedi vs the rest of those trilogies.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Calax posted:

The fact it's a first draft makes sense. It feels like somebody had the basic outline of a wrote it up, then never really got to expand on the things that needed expanding and excising the stupider elements. Zerus could be better explained if the brood leaders you fought were only on Continent A rather than Leaders of the entire planet. Which is something a LOT of sci-fi tends to ignore (the fact that realistically a planetary invasion would take a LOT more than one fight at the capitol).

At least it's not as much of an "Oh crap what do we do now" as THe Last Jedi vs the rest of those trilogies.

Given how played out tropes like "one big battle to conquer a planet" are, the genre could use a few more 'oh crap' moments and some introspection to reckon with its own scale.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

…and now I remember that whole sequence in the final movie of a literal mounted cavalry charge on the deck of a star destroyer that was currently in space

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
One thing that I thought was kind of cute that no one has mentioned yet. Take another look at Zurvan, the Ancient One and perhaps one of the oldest Zerg alive.

Two visible front legs in a vaguely quadrupedal stance assuming he is still mostly below ground, fanged mouth, and two back mounted arms/wings.

Conclusion: Zurvan is the universes oldest, biggest, and most pissed off Zergling. :kimchi:

Also, more or less I do agree that the story of Starcraft II is pretty stupid, but I enjoy it anyway in a popcorn-flick kind of way. I am even possibly willing to give the "only Kerrigan is immune to control" bit a pass, under the point that Zurvan and Abathur both said that the Primal Pool was possibly too potent even for her. Looking back at the Artifact going off in All In, it pretty much instantly destroyed/killed all of the Zurg matter, including the buildings when it went off, but Kerrigan survived. So when it came to the pool here, only Kerrigan could survive the complete dumping of her old zerg flesh/power in return for the Primal energy. Anything else that tried would not have survived.

I also recall hearing/seeing that way back during development of HotS there were plans for a system relating to Kerrigans upgrades that dealt with how you would direct the swarm onto other planets. It was something like "you can just destroy all of the buildings on the planet, or you can choose to infest it." I assume that was the base building blocks of a sort of morality/ability development system, where you could play Kerrigan as trying to remain as human as possible, or dive straight back into full Zerg infest ALL THE THINGS and be a monster!

There are a few more things I will want to talk about, regarding Abathur, Valerian, and Mengsk, but they will have to wait until we get there.

One final note, and I can only talk about it now because I only found the thread and READ it now, Dr. Hanson and Haven. One explanation as to why she became Zerg in one branch and succeeded in curing the virus in the other relates to yuor choice. If you choose to support her, she has time to take things slow and work out all of the kinks before moving forwards, resulting in removing the infection. On the other hand if you support Selendis, she is panicked, desperate to try and find the cure before it is too late. She thinks maybe if she can find the cure now she can stop Jim from purging the colony. So she takes risks, is not careful, and just ends up Infesting herself. As to the "Zerg Virus" itself, I saw it as the colonists were not Infested, they were Infected. A sort of sleeper disease that EVENTUALLY can overwhelm them and lead to Infestation. No easy cure for the Infested except fire, but it is possible to cure the Infection instead, which Hanson manages.

No easy explanation on the differences in LEVEL of Infestation on the mission though. Maybe its two different sections of the planet you are dealing with. In the Pro-Hanson version the Protoss started on the badly Infested side and burned that down, and are moving onto the mostly Infestation free side where you stop them. On the Pro-Selendis version a couple marines were able to take out the 5 Infested in Quarantine on that part of the map and the Raiders take out the badly Infested part that the Protoss would have burned.

Chaosbrain fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 19, 2024

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Good LP, got me playing LotV again because I don't remember it at all. It's already very stupid.

I think SC2 collectively is probably the most fun rts campaign ever to play but it really wrecked the lore and made me not care about the setting at all, when it used to be one of my favourites since I was a wee laddie

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Unit Spotlight: Hydralisk

Overview:
  • Cost: 100 minerals, 50 gas, 2 supply
  • Prereq Structure: Lair, Hydralisk Den
  • Health: 80
  • Armor: 0 (+1)
  • Movement Speed: 1.3
  • Creep Multiplier: 1.3
  • Attack: 12 (+1)
  • Range: 5
  • Attack Speed: 0.83
  • Attributes: Biological, Light
Hydralisks fall into the same issues as the Roach a bit, where the Swarm Queen already covers a bit of their niche in ranged attacks and anti-air. Unlike Roaches, however, the Hydralisk still has an edge in a significantly higher DPS and access to an evolution unit.

Evolution Pool Upgrades:

Frenzy
  • Effect: Hydralisk gains the Frenzy active ability, which increases attack speed by 50% for 15 seconds. 30 second cooldown.
Hydralisk aggression inhibited by cerebral cortex. Can enable hive mind to trigger impulses directly. Upon command, attacks frenzy for limited period. Cortex requires recovery time after use. Limbic system fragile.

Really, really strong. It's Stimpack but with a cooldown instead of a life cost! A Frenzied Hydra actually deals the same damage as two stimmed Marines!

The problem is that this is an active ability with no autocast feature, and unlike Wings (where Marines will be the default unit when you hit F2 the majority of the time) you'll have to tab away from Kerrigan each time you want to pop it.

Ancillary Carapace
  • Effect: Hydralisk gains +20 life.
Hydralisk carapace evolved primarily for offensive role. Thin, hollow. Allows for increased movement potential at cost of fragile structure. Possible to evolve ancillary carapace, redundant plating. Will increase protection. Hinder exoskeletal rupture.

Eh. With all the heals you get in Heart a small life boost won't really come into play.

Grooved Spines
  • Effect: Hydralisk gains +1 attack range.
Spine projectile, effective. Few alterations made since assimilation of slothien urticating bristles. Grooved spines, common evolution on battlefield. Can be introduced directly into hydralisk template. Will increase aerodynamic properties of spines, allow hydralisks to attack distant foes.

A simple buff that's always helpful. Set and forget if you don't want to deal with Frenzy micro.

Evolutions

Overview:
  • Cost: 50 minerals, 100 gas, +1 supply
  • Prereq Structure: Lair, Impaler Den (evolved from Hydralisk Den)
  • Health: 200
  • Armor: 1 (+1)
  • Movement Speed: 2.75
  • Attack: 20 (+2), +25 (+2) vs Armored
  • Range: 11
  • Attack Speed: 1.45
  • Attributes: Biological, Armored
Impaler colony essence evolved millennia ago. First mutated under Overmind's instruction. Ancestor strain of sunken colony. Powerful.

Can bond essence to hydralisk morph. create impaler. Attacks single foe. Tentacle shreds through armor, flesh, bone.

Not really that good in your army, since by the time they can burrow the majority of what's in range will be dead, but really helpful when you really need to pump up your base defenses. Considering the majority of the campaign is against terrans, home of some very scary Armored units? Incredibly useful. It's not the handful of Marines in an attack wave you're worried about, it's the Thors and Siege Tanks behind them.

Overview:
  • Cost: 50 minerals, 100 gas, +1 supply
  • Prereq Structure: Lair, Lurker Den (evolved from Hydralisk Den)
  • Health: 200
  • Armor: 1 (+1)
  • Movement Speed: 2.75
  • Attack: 20 (+2), +10 (+1) vs Light
  • Range: 6, hits all enemies in line
  • Attack Speed: 1.45
  • Attributes: Biological, Armored
Lurker evolved prior to inter—Swarm conflict. Essence abandoned by Queen of Blades in effort to assimilate new breeds. Almost lost. Now recovered.

Lurkers attack while burrowed. Spines strike multiple enemies at once. Effective against troops lacking sufficient armor.

Significantly shorter range, a worse niche, and against a race that doesn't really send out enough troops to make the most out of the AOE. It just isn't the Lurker's day.

Field Manual Artwork

Impalers don't get any art, sadly.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Feb 20, 2024

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Sometimes less is more. Love the old hydra art. New ones look like the lifters who inject synthol after it deflates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Once again the Marine owner of the Field Manual is wonderful. Amusing insight from a grunt on the ground about the "tactics" suggested by the manual, some trial and error with himself and other grunts - notably, he's the only one to have survived trying an unsuccessful tactic he wrote down on the Hydralisk page!

Also, his utter confusion about where the Lurker Spines come from :P