Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

with the absence of the fatigue system i am no longer sufficiently incentivized to change up my party and i'm almost certainly going to run yukari/junpei/akihiko for the whole game, because that's the first full party you get and i don't hate any of them enough to justify benching them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Akihiko no longer has Rakunda so your damage might be a bit lower. But otherwise that works.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've decided that I don't really like the way buffs/debuffs work in these games.

In practice it seems like it's usually just busy work that makes fights take longer, because one or two characters are relegated to buff/debuff duty.

This also contributes to the difficulty curve where combat against bosses usually becomes easier later, largely due to getting party-wide buffs (and in P5 Debilitate) and party-wide status effect cleanse.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Original P3 was bad about it but it’s not so terrible in future games, where the buffs are split up between characters.

P4 you could have Teddie do all the buffing if you want, but Kanji had Matarukaja and Yosuke Masukukaja.

P5 nobody carries more than one, and Makoto eventually gets Debilitate in Royal.

Reload also balanced it a bit so Akihiko isn’t doing everything now. It’s also spread out so that no matter what party composition you have you’ll have at least one buff or debuff in the team.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
P5R also let you pour Debilit-ade and/or Heat Riser Punch into a party member. Or all the varies multi-target buff/debuff sodas, but I don't think I ever even considered those.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

Original P3 was bad about it but it’s not so terrible in future games, where the buffs are split up between characters.

P4 you could have Teddie do all the buffing if you want, but Kanji had Matarukaja and Yosuke Masukukaja.

P5 nobody carries more than one, and Makoto eventually gets Debilitate in Royal.

Reload also balanced it a bit so Akihiko isn’t doing everything now. It’s also spread out so that no matter what party composition you have you’ll have at least one buff or debuff in the team.

That's the thing though, even when it becomes easier (once you get easy access to the Ma- spells later) it's still just busy work to keep the buffs up. I'm not saying it's difficult or anything, but at higher difficulties you basically want to keep the buffs/debuffs up constantly, which is easy but still makes fights take longer. During the full moon boss I just did, I had to spend almost 1/4 of my characters' turns maintaining my debuffs on the enemy (I don't have full-party buffs yet aside from a few items that give full party attack and agility buff).

Charge/Concentrate I like more because there's at least more "tactics" to their use, since they aren't something you just maintain on everyone constantly.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Can’t say on Merciless but on Hard I basically just used whatever buffs or debuffs my party had access to. I never used single target buffs.

Maybe I’ll have MC bring Matarukaja or Rakunda as well, but that’s it.

And if upkeeping the effects are making the fight take longer than they would without, just skip them. As long as you’re surviving, that’s enough.

Like really it can be as simple as a Yukari/Mitsuru/Akihiko party. They bring Sukunda/Rakunda/Tarunda. MC could also bring Matarukaja. That should be enough.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sydin posted:

Yeah now it's just three dialogue options where you have to pick the correct thing or you get caught. The right answers are fairly intuitive as well.

Is "It's a cat, drat it!" still one of the dialogue choices, cause I actually find that one funny.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

That's the thing though, even when it becomes easier (once you get easy access to the Ma- spells later) it's still just busy work to keep the buffs up. I'm not saying it's difficult or anything, but at higher difficulties you basically want to keep the buffs/debuffs up constantly, which is easy but still makes fights take longer.

You're doing something wrong imo if slamming a rakunda into a boss and a tarukaja into your mc isn't turbo charging your damage so fights end way faster.

Janissary Hop fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 17, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Janissary Hop posted:

You're doing something wrong imo if slamming a rakunda into a boss and a tarukaja into your mc isn't turbo charging your damage so fights end way faster.

My point is that it's basically a prerequisite on Merciless difficulty in this (and honestly is generally always a good idea).

It's not so much that "it makes fights end fast" as it is "just something you always gotta do to prevent them from taking even longer, or to prevent your characters from dying from bad hits on Merciless."

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sounds like you’d have more fun on hard

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man, they must have absolutely nerfed hama/mudo rates into the ground because I haven't seen either spell hit once.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DrManiac posted:

Man, they must have absolutely nerfed hama/mudo rates into the ground because I haven't seen either spell hit once.

No, that's accurate to Persona 3

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
e: wrong thread

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's me I'm the rear end in a top hat who's annoyed that hommunculi sacrifice themselves to protect party members from insta-kill spells and not just the MC. Stop wasting my loving 1-Ups Akihiko! Dodge!!!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Sydin posted:

It's me I'm the rear end in a top hat who's annoyed that hommunculi sacrifice themselves to protect party members from insta-kill spells and not just the MC. Stop wasting my loving 1-Ups Akihiko! Dodge!!!

Same 100% holy poo poo.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's only a survival fight but Chidori threw me for a loop. Started off with a Maragidyne that just downed everyone except MC.

Had to reload, take out Mitsuru and bring in Koromaru.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Sydin posted:

poo poo, don't even dodge

just die, i can revive you motherfucker

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Sydin posted:

It's me I'm the rear end in a top hat who's annoyed that hommunculi sacrifice themselves to protect party members from insta-kill spells and not just the MC. Stop wasting my loving 1-Ups Akihiko! Dodge Die!!! (I'll revive you maybe)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Arist posted:

No, that's accurate to Persona 3

a major source of frustration was that hama and mudo were totally worthless and kouha and eiha didn't exist so anything with a light/dark weakness might as well have had no weakness at all. there were a lot enemies you just had to club to death

and, of course, while hama and mudo were totally worthless for you, if you happened to slap on a persona with a light/dark weakness chances were you'd get immediately disintegrated the next time you ran into an enemy with one of them

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think Hama/Mudo had a base hit rate of like 20%, 15% for Mahama/Mamudo, and that would get boosted to like 35/30% by a weakness. It was baaaaaaaad.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Arist posted:

I think Hama/Mudo had a base hit rate of like 20%, 15% for Mahama/Mamudo, and that would get boosted to like 35/30% by a weakness. It was baaaaaaaad.

And if you are weak to them the hit rate goes up to 150%.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i'm pretty sure they also cost at least twice as much SP as rank 1 elemental magic, so even if you were willing to try gambling for them the result of successfully hitting Hama or Mudo was that you spent twice as much SP to kill that enemy as you would have by hitting an elemental weakness and then all out attacking to kill them

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

During my run of FES I complained in here about an incident where I used Mudo six times in a row before it hit on an enemy that was weak to Darkness.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
That one Monad boss that's a gimmick fight where you have to use Mudo or Hama was very annoying actually, I burned too many resources on that before I 'figured' it out. And even then I had a lineup which didn't have any insta-kill spells (I had dropped Hamaon on Ken) and my Persona lineup only had Mudoon, so thankfully I had that one Hamaon item in my inventory.

I actually got half their health down with Scarlet Havoc and I wasn't actually in any real danger once I got one down, but still.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I don't know if Mudo hitrates were buffed for Persona 4 but they definitely seemed better in Golden

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah they were buffed. They went from 30 to 40% for the base spells, and 40 to 60% for the stronger versions. No changes in Golden.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yukari's new VA has hit most of the beats but unfortunately I have to report that she could not nail this line anywhere as close to the original:

Honestly though almost the entire cast has done pretty well. Fuuka and Ken got the biggest upgrades in my opinion. The one VA where I feel like is a decline from the original is Shinjiro's. The new VA still did a good job but Grant George just gave Shinji a bit more emotion that doesn't translate across as well here.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yukari's new VA has hit most of the beats but unfortunately I have to report that she could not nail this line anywhere as close to the original:

Honestly though almost the entire cast has done pretty well. Fuuka and Ken got the biggest upgrades in my opinion. The one VA where I feel like is a decline from the original is Shinjiro's. The new VA still did a good job but Grant George just gave Shinji a bit more emotion that doesn't translate across as well here.

i thought they hadn't kept the extremely annoyed yukari portrait for reload but apparently they did and only used it for this exact line because i haven't seen it anywhere else in the game

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think I've hit the point where SP isn't really any issue any more (I'm at the beginning of August). Haven't needed to use the clock heal since the first Tartarus outing. I also like the new feature that lets you instantly get two party members caught up to the protagonist's level.

I'm saving and quitting for tonight right before the second fight in this Monad corridor thingy.

I kinda hope I unlock another Theugy for the protagonist soon. I'm tempted to look up what I need for it, but for now I'll keep just fusing stuff and hoping I stumble across it at some point soon. It seems like I should be, since I've had the current two since almost the beginning of the game, and my protagonist is now level 35.

Erg posted:

Sounds like you’d have more fun on hard

I'm enjoying Merciless because it's at least a challenge. I feel like any of the other difficulties would just be too easy (which is basically the case for P5R on any difficulty). And I'm generally bad at skill-based games so this isn't some kind of flex - it's just that the style of gameplay in the modern Persona games (all the ones post-3 where you control all the party members) has a variety of issues that mean there's a very fine line between "too easy" and "harder but kind of a slog." If enemies have weaknesses (either elemental or to some major status effect), fights are almost always easy (which is the issue P5R runs into, since almost everything you fight can either have weaknesses or technical hits exploited). And if they don't, it usually just means playing it safe with maintaining buffs/debuffs constantly and keeping everyone's health topped off. I'll be curious to see how they design the combat in that Metaphor game.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Guess the FeMC fans wouldn't be denied.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ytlaya posted:

I'm enjoying Merciless because it's at least a challenge. I feel like any of the other difficulties would just be too easy (which is basically the case for P5R on any difficulty). And I'm generally bad at skill-based games so this isn't some kind of flex - it's just that the style of gameplay in the modern Persona games (all the ones post-3 where you control all the party members) has a variety of issues that mean there's a very fine line between "too easy" and "harder but kind of a slog." If enemies have weaknesses (either elemental or to some major status effect), fights are almost always easy (which is the issue P5R runs into, since almost everything you fight can either have weaknesses or technical hits exploited). And if they don't, it usually just means playing it safe with maintaining buffs/debuffs constantly and keeping everyone's health topped off. I'll be curious to see how they design the combat in that Metaphor game.

Original P3 was really the hardest of the modern Persona games. Original P4 had two really tough fights (Shadow Yukiko and Kanji) then was easy after that, Golden only really kept Yukiko as a tough fight.

P5 only really had Madarame as a tough fight, Royal made everything too easy other than upping the difficulty on Okumura for some reason.

As someone who's been playing Reload on Hard, I think that while it's undeniable that it had to be easier than P3 just because of the addition of QoLs, they still tweaked some bosses to be a bit more of a challenge. Priestess got new tricks, Emperor/Empress are no longer a tutorial fight. It's still an easier game but I think that's just how it is when you add more options. You can always add artificial difficulty like turning off direct control, if you find the buff/debuff upkeep system too tedious on Merciless.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i made a persona that has all 3 auto-buffs, apt pupil and crit rate up, and blade of fury and it has so far cleared 2 blocks of tartarus and 2 full moon bosses by just using blade of fury over and over again. i'm gonna skill card in slash boost or something to make it even more dumb. so far the only fight in merciless i've had real trouble with was priestess, which took a few tries. i find myself wishing that the other full moon bosses got cool gimmicks like priestess

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I think it’s really neat that they gave Yuko entirely separate dialogue for all three days of the class trip if you’ve gotten into a romance with her. I think Fuuka is the only other romance-able character you can talk to there so it would have been very easy to just not do anything but you get something very sweet all three days. Her ogling the MC in his yukata is a fun change of pace from all the teenage boy hornyness through the whole game. It’s nice because after you finish her social link it’s very easy to just completely ignore her even if you’re dating because video game

Her VA is also just very good in general, very charming. I got halfway through her story and was like “oh how could anyone turn her down”. The only other character I think makes as strong a case for a relationship is Yukari and honestly by the time you actually get to her social link it’s less romance and more a combination of proximity and trauma-bonding that makes her feel like a sibling

Edit: found a clip from one of those, I think she doesn’t sound as Anime Voice Actor as most people in game dubs like this which is kind of refreshing, I guess.

https://x.com/pkslippyae/status/1758926335559209251?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 18, 2024

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Am I crazy or did they not use last names for the third years as much in the original TL? I assume this is just a more accurate to the script thing but I'm not sure if I'm just misremembering. Like even menus and stuff all refer to Akihiko as Sanada etc.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Am I crazy or did they not use last names for the third years as much in the original TL? I assume this is just a more accurate to the script thing but I'm not sure if I'm just misremembering. Like even menus and stuff all refer to Akihiko as Sanada etc.

the menu in fes definitely called him akihiko and fuuka usually did too, I don't remember what yukari and junpei called him

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah, this one's a bit more faithful to how high school students would speak, I guess. You don't use first names unless you're really familiar or you're just very direct/rude.

The second years use first names with each other, Yukari and Mitsuru eventually use first names with each other (a slight change from the original where only Mitsuru changes from 'Takeba' to 'Yukari'), and Akihiko refers to Junpei by first name (but I don't remember when it starts happening, maybe around Yakishima?). Even with Shinjiro, only Akihiko refers to him by first name, everyone else (even Mitsuru) uses Aragaki.

It's also reflected in the SLs, where even the other students get referred to by last name aside from the other SEES members. I don't know if Chihiro and Yuko get first-name basis if you go the lovers route with them.

I think in Cross Tag Battle the P4 cast used last names with each other aside from Yu/Yosuke and Chie/Yukiko, which was actually a bit jarring after so many years of them using first names. At least with the P3 cast there was a bit of precedent with using last names in the original, like Akihiko always called Yukari by Takeba.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

the only thing that actually throws me off a bit is the fact that he's sanada in menus now. it's kinda weird because mitsuru is still mitsuru in menus.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I'm towards the end of September now, and as someone who's only played P4G and P5R before now, it can not be overstated how much better it is to not have a mascot character. Teddie was the worst thing about P4G, and Morgana, while better then Teddie, wasn't great. I guess Koromaru kind of counts, but instead of sexual harassment he's just a dog that does dog things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Koromaru is actually your wise mentor figure.