Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sure. Do you just want different colors or do you want wild ‘n wacky patterns or

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I use Newbaum’s for colored tape, but there are probably one thousand better options for normal, non-terminally retrogrouch people.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

KKKLIP ART posted:

are there places to get cool looking handlebar tape other than just plain black?

First, I love the avatar.

Second, yes, there are!

At my LBS, they have a few colors in a few brands. Mostly it's black, but I usually see red, yellow, and sometimes blue. They had one called "Fade" that went through the spectrum of colors, not unlike a rained bow. Online, there are several companies that sell tape in lots of colors. A while back, I was asking about teal bar tape for the bike I've been talking about (which I might call "Copperteal" when I'm done with it), I got this reply that sent me down a rabbit hole of accessories:

foutre posted:

Cinelli for the bar tape! Not sure if it'll be an exact color match, but they've got teal.

I ended up going to State's website because I had a discount with them, and they actually had Teal, and it matches the "STATE" wordmark on the bike almost exactly. But, there are a lot of options out there. Just start googlin'.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
For bartape I’d strongly recommend silicone backed stuff such as BBB Flexribbon or similar. Being able to re-wrap infinitely is wonderful, especially if you’re learning to wrap your bars the first time. Plus there’s no adhesive to degrade and weld itself to your bars and make the re-wrap job 10 times longer when you come to replace it.

That tape also feels good, wears and cleans well and is pretty cheap, just wish there were more colours.

Any other decent silicone backed tape?

dema posted:

I'm of the opinion that most people's general "this saddle is uncomfortable" problems are actually fit problems.

Try riding on a saddle with wings too wide for your legs - especially somethings like a specialized power with a short nose, so nowhere to shift away from them.

Or riding on a squishy saddle with no cutout for a few hours.

Or riding with an aggressive forward rotated position on a road bike on anything not designed for it.

I agree that position and angle is ultra important, and can transform a perfect saddle into torture, especially if you’re riding long or hard enough.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
My wife a few hours ago, when her phone started ringing:

Mrs. Tarlibone posted:

Who is calling me from E-ville?

Me, suspecting good news: "Answer it!"

It was the LBS. Her bike's battery finally arrived. They confirmed that it worked and finished the other minor work on her bike. We brought it back home, and it's back in the garage, meeting all its new friends. Since it's been gone, the Cypress has moved away, a Verve 3 has moved in, and the 4130 All Road is hanging on the wall.

When it warms up, we're going on some rides together.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When looking for a saddle, it’s worth measuring your “sit bones” and looking at saddles that are proportional.

You don’t need the electronic pad at the bike shop. Corrugated cardboard and aluminum foil works.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Also your lbs probably has a bunch of testers you can borrow

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
LBS measured at 145, but that's pretty rough. No loaners that they mentioned anyway. The ones I have coming are a 140, 145, and 4 150s. I'll see how they each feel and go from there

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ilkhan posted:

LBS measured at 145, but that's pretty rough. No loaners that they mentioned anyway. The ones I have coming are a 140, 145, and 4 150s. I'll see how they each feel and go from there

If you have a dedicated fitting place nearby I'd cal them to check about loaners.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Salt Fish posted:

If you have a dedicated fitting place nearby I'd cal them to check about loaners.
I'm sure the nearest dedicated fitting place is at least 1 hour away if not 2. Not worth it over Amazon for now.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

wooger posted:

Any other decent silicone backed tape?

I really like the Pro Race Control tape. It stretches so wrapping is very easy and it seems to last a long time.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Zipp Service Course CX tape is all you’ll ever need

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Zipp Service Course CX tape is all you’ll ever need

This is the same as the BBB flexribbon tape btw (which is usually easier to get around where I am)

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I wish Cinelli Caleido bar tape was easier to wrap and lasted longer.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The best luck I had with it was on pursuit bullhorns. When I used it on my randonneuse it was shredded within the year.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I feel like bar tape is one of those things I do infrequently enough that i never get good at it so I'm always unsatisfied.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i use Salsa bar tape because it has cute peppers on it

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I ❤️ fikiz 2mm microtex. Riding with just cloth tape hurts my hands and puffy cork tape makes them numb. Fizik is just right

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is it weird/overkill to wear a full face (XC) helmet on a class 3 (28mph) ebike for normal road riding?

mystes
May 31, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is it weird/overkill to wear a full face (XC) helmet on a class 3 (28mph) ebike for normal road riding?
Once you're going 28mph on a class 3 ebike it's basically a motorscooter and outside the conditions normal road bike helmets are designed for so I would say it is not overkill

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If you were road riding a grom motorcycle at 28mph you'd wear a full face.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Clark Nova posted:

I ❤️ fikiz 2mm microtex. Riding with just cloth tape hurts my hands and puffy cork tape makes them numb. Fizik is just right

:same:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
surprised nobody has namedropped Supacaz yet, for the 'wild n wacky' tapes

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Probably too heavy for the high speed low drag operators ITT but I have ~3200 miles on my Brooks leather bar tape and it’s held up incredibly well.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

surprised nobody has namedropped Supacaz yet, for the 'wild n wacky' tapes

paying $50 for gaudy bar tape ftw

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

A hard truth I’ve learned about myself over time is that my ideal bike has the color scheme of a gun in CS:GO

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

The plugs are very nice too

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PRADA SLUT posted:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pulled the Gravelking+ SK 32mms off the gravel bikes with one hand and they were missing strips of rubber, if these aren't counterfeits it's the fastest I've ever seen a formerly-decent product go to poo poo.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

dema posted:

I'm of the opinion that most people's general "this saddle is uncomfortable" problems are actually fit problems.

I just swapped an old style saddle from my winter bike to my trainer bike and it was very comfortable on my winter bike and is awful on the trainer. With trainer bike I could ride a Chinese carbon saddle with no problems at all. I think it's different saddles for different uses.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit before I try to wrap the heandlebars. But, in the meantime, my other SBC bike's accessory came in: a cheap Planet Bike bottle cage in yellow. It goes well with the yellow pedals I got at the LBS for a song.

Apr 7, 2003

New house is great except for the part where the basement is only 5'8" high and there's no garage

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
What are my best options for an affordable rim brake full disc wheel, mostly for the Norseman this year?

Light Bicycle have discontinued their rim brake disc. I emailed them and they sent me a quote for what looks an awful lot like an open mould wheel which is narrower and heavier than the one they used to offer without being any cheaper.
Hunt and Winspace also seem to have discontinued their rim brake discs.
The used market is mostly tubular, which I'm not willing to deal with on a long course tri.
Wheel covers would make the most sense, except I've not got a lot of frame clearance on my Light Bicycle 88s as it is, and EZ Disc (who seem to be the only real UK supplier) now want close to £200 for one.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
EZ Disc will probably still be your best bet even at that price, like you say tracking down used clincher options is going to be a giant pain in the rear end and there has never really been a good budget option that I've encountered. Did Hunt/Winspace even ever do one in the first place? I totally missed it if so.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Yeep posted:

What are my best options for an affordable rim brake full disc wheel, mostly for the Norseman this year?

Light Bicycle have discontinued their rim brake disc. I emailed them and they sent me a quote for what looks an awful lot like an open mould wheel which is narrower and heavier than the one they used to offer without being any cheaper.
Hunt and Winspace also seem to have discontinued their rim brake discs.
The used market is mostly tubular, which I'm not willing to deal with on a long course tri.
Wheel covers would make the most sense, except I've not got a lot of frame clearance on my Light Bicycle 88s as it is, and EZ Disc (who seem to be the only real UK supplier) now want close to £200 for one.

Only a year or so ago, eBay was a source of OK secondhand rim brake disc wheels from mavic et al. I think sales have moved to various Triathlon Used For Sale groups on Facebook now.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

meltie posted:

Only a year or so ago, eBay was a source of OK secondhand rim brake disc wheels from mavic et al. I think sales have moved to various Triathlon Used For Sale groups on Facebook now.

Yeah, I'm absolutely kicking myself for not buying a Light Bicycle disc/60mm set with DT Swiss 350s that was on eBay last year. There are a couple of alu brake track FFWD and Ron wheels in the £3-400 range, I think the Ron ones even do tubeless. The old FFWD discs are about 1700g though. Searching through 20 different Facebook Marketplace groups sucks, and people are less likely to post than on eBay.

My main concern with the disc covers is how often I'll need to take them on and off, I don't have a spare rear wheel I could fit them to semi-permanently.

The Prime 343 is on sale for under £450 right now but there are lots of reports of tubeless tyres blowing out into the cavity and destroying the side walls.
There's also this from Elite that looks almost identical, who seem to have decent reviews in general but nothing for the full disc. https://www.elite-wheels.com/product/time-trial-triathlon-wheels-velo-tt-rim/. With their Chinese New Year discount code it comes to just under £500.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I currently own a 2015 Bianch Via Nirone 7 Tiagra and I love it, but I live in Colorado and think I would like more of an all-road for gravel roads/paths. I'm leaning toward a Contend AR 3, is this reasonable or would it somehow feel like a big downgrade on the road? I throw aerobars on once or twice a year for a triathlon as well. Downsides I can see are that it is a touch heavier and 2x9 Sora. Stack and reach for my sizes look very close(53 Bianchi/52 Giant). Disc breaks I think would be a bonus, the couple times I've gotten caught in the rain descending were terrifying.

Apr 7, 2003

Dutymode posted:

I currently own a 2015 Bianch Via Nirone 7 Tiagra and I love it, but I live in Colorado and think I would like more of an all-road for gravel roads/paths. I'm leaning toward a Contend AR 3, is this reasonable or would it somehow feel like a big downgrade on the road? I throw aerobars on once or twice a year for a triathlon as well. Downsides I can see are that it is a touch heavier and 2x9 Sora. Stack and reach for my sizes look very close(53 Bianchi/52 Giant). Disc breaks I think would be a bonus, the couple times I've gotten caught in the rain descending were terrifying.

If you're getting a Contend AR just spring for the AR 1. It's on sale right now for $200 off so you're looking at a $400 gap between the 3 and 1 and it's 100% worth it for the R7100 105

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contend-ar-1-2022

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

If you're getting a Contend AR just spring for the AR 1. It's on sale right now for $200 off so you're looking at a $400 gap between the 3 and 1 and it's 100% worth it for the R7100 105

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contend-ar-1-2022

Well I was leaning toward the 3 because a shop has a 2021 discounted to $1050. I also live in a tiny condo and my bike is stored vertically, nose-down right now. I've seen conflicting info on doing that with hydraulic brakes. I could stretch it to the 1, but $700 starts to feel like a lot when I could probably buy a new groupset for close to that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Dutymode posted:

Well I was leaning toward the 3 because a shop has a 2021 discounted to $1050. I also live in a tiny condo and my bike is stored vertically, nose-down right now. I've seen conflicting info on doing that with hydraulic brakes.

Here's a room of bikes with hydraulic brakes hanging by their wheels

quote:

I could stretch it to the 1, but $700 starts to feel like a lot when I could probably buy a new groupset for close to that?

Entirely up to you, but time isn't free either and you have to ask yourself if you'd rather buy it all put together or buy the cheaper bike and upgrade it. Last time I checked the AR 3 had a mechanical-to-hydraulic thing between the hoods to handle the brake cheap-out. Not sure if they still have it but I'd rather buy the good thing up front than try to fix it later.