Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I wouldn't pay that much to have someone keep eyes on my seven year old, who is going to be self sufficient, for two hours.

Bonus when kids get older, they just watch each other for free.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Neighbors haveing people over and they're arriving at nap time.
Which means Brisket has to tell me about each one just as baby is about to fall asleep.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tbh Rosalyn really was a bad babysitter though

Calvin was a tough kid to deal with but you don't just keep hiring someone he has a mutual hatred for

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Calvin parachute account spotted

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Potty training update: have moved on to bottomless method. If she pees in the potty again she can come upstairs and watch TV; until then she is confined to the rec room (vinyl flooring). It is not going great so far.

She pooped in the potty this morning and I was optimistic. That didn't last lol. She's basically stopped telling us she has to go because she knows we'll make her do it on the potty. But this has gotta get old for her eventually right????

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
[ask] me about potty training a kid with congenital diarrhea

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Benagain posted:

Don't pay less than minimum wage to the 16 year old who doesn't know any better.

maybe 5-10 years ago, now mcdonalds starts you at 20 bucks an hour with bonuses - you literally won't find anyone paying minimum wage

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Depressing story time, please skip if you're already down.

I just sent a friend and her two kids from a visit, and finally had some time to talk to her about the last few years. Actually, she's originally my friend's sister, but my friend, but my friend died in 2021 from muscular dystrophy. Basically, his muscles just got weaker and weaker, and the heart is kinda an important muscle. It's a genetic condition, and their mother got tested back in the 90s. Apparently it was a false negative though, so she and my alive friend were carriers, and, getting to the point, guess what her son has now? Just really loving depressing, considering it's basically a death sentence, including very different life circumstances (he's already got a wheelchair, and it's gonna get way worse. My dead friend didn't lift a finger in high school, metaphorically or literally). Not to mention that the financial aspects of it are not good.
On top of that, the older kid has pretty severe anxiety, which is also a parental challenge, especially for the father who apparently couldn't deal at all and is now an ex who only sees the younger kid.
Luckily my friend still has both her parents, whom I also now pretty well (my dead friend never moved out, and we hung out at his place because of stairs), and they're great in each their way, and she's strong as gently caress herself. But it really sucks. Also because it's just a set of completely random things, no one's fault or anything, just two kids with severe issues.
Also the younger kid is apparently getting a new treatment, which is just steroids. This affects his mood as one might expect.

Silver lining is that the older kid and my (autistic) son really hit it off, despite a four year age difference. Just very compatible temperaments, and as a bonus they're both really into Bakeoff. I think we can get something out of that, especially without the literal roid rage kid (who was fine but definitely less compatible with my kid, despite them being a month apart).

Sorry for posting through, but I kinda needed to vent somewhere.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My kid has started imitating my "stern lecture" tone and words when she wants to indicate seriousness, e.g. stern brow, eye contact, "... got it?/understand?", sometimes a pointed finger. It's extremely hard not to smile or laugh or otherwise encourage this when it happens

The way kids will hold a mirror up to you, man

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
lol when kids start using the same catchphrases as you that you didn't even realize you say all the time

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

SirPablo posted:

I'd say less than minimum wage in your area by 1/2 to 1/3, then you can round up. So probably just give them a $20.

I have an 18-month-old so it's a bigger job granted (and we have never gotten a babysitter outside of vacation) but I'd be at LEAST at $20/hr here where minimum wage is $15/hr. Probably more like $25.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

loquacius posted:

Potty training update: have moved on to bottomless method. If she pees in the potty again she can come upstairs and watch TV; until then she is confined to the rec room (vinyl flooring). It is not going great so far.

She pooped in the potty this morning and I was optimistic. That didn't last lol. She's basically stopped telling us she has to go because she knows we'll make her do it on the potty. But this has gotta get old for her eventually right????

It took like 1.5 years of this with my son, didn't fully stick until he turned four. No method or system of rewards, praise, frequently going, etc worked because he's one of the most stubborn people alive.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SirPablo posted:

I'd say less than minimum wage in your area by 1/2 to 1/3, then you can round up. So probably just give them a $20.

Wtf

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

BonHair posted:

Depressing story time, please skip if you're already down.

I read the bummer

Sorry for posting through, but I kinda needed to vent somewhere.

No need to apologize.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
2 year old now likes to eat food with her hands, but demands we wipe her hands clean after every bite.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Potty training has progressed to the point where she's had no accidents today and I suspect she might be min/maxing her poops to optimize her prize sticker production rate

Three poops today??? Unlikely

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

loquacius posted:

Potty training has progressed to the point where she's had no accidents today and I suspect she might be min/maxing her poops to optimize her prize sticker production rate

absolutely worth it lol

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

loquacius posted:

she is going to slowly destroy you as her powers grow

you should be a proud parent

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

making GBS threads like a rabbit to get the equivalent of a fun size package of m&ms

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

SirPablo posted:

honestly curious what kind of babysitter that gets you, a 14-yo?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

KirbyKhan posted:

No need to apologize.

:yeah:

also condolences

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Woke Mind Virus posted:

making GBS threads like a rabbit to get the equivalent of a fun size package of m&ms

it's a solid strategy

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

hubris.height posted:

it's a solid strategy
A densely packed, solid strategy

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

loquacius posted:

Future gamer...

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Mad Wack posted:

honestly curious what kind of babysitter that gets you, a 14-yo?

Do you need a medical doctor watching your kids? A 14 yo to watch a 7 yo is perfectly fine.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

We spent like two hours at another kid's birthday party, and put her in pull-ups just in case she had trouble monitoring herself there, and she actually found my wife halfway through to say she needed to pee. They found the bathroom and she didn't want to use the full-sized toilet, so she just held it until we got home. Successfully. :stare: This is day three of our second attempt at potty-training. She's made amazing progress.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

you probably need a car or portable toilet ASAP.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I mean she DID just hold her pee for a whole hour but yeah we just ordered a folding portable kiddy toilet seat that looks like a frog to make big toilets less scary

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

they’re super handy if one has a hatch back. then everywhere you have a vehicle you havea bathroom.

randomly they’ll decide they don’t want to use specific toilets (trailhead pit toilets are a good example) and it’ll be handy for much longer than you expect.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

SirPablo posted:

Do you need a medical doctor watching your kids? A 14 yo to watch a 7 yo is perfectly fine.

i have a 2 month old, so yeah i'd prefer someone older

e: and even at 14 in my state you are still competing with mcdonalds and other similar employers

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lmao one more poop right before bed

Love my gamer child

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

price per hour is a stupid yard stick to calibrate against when you’re hiring someone for 2-6 hours once a month.

When you’re hiring by the task, not the hour don’t let the hourly wage guide you. better to find someone you like and let them set the rate. if it sounds criminal how they’re pricing themselves that’s a grey area about what to do.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

loquacius posted:

Lmao one more poop right before bed

Love my gamer child

achievement unlocked

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Dreylad posted:

achievement unlocked

Just tell your kid that this sticker chart is a leader board. Set up a second board next to hers and put more stickers on the fake friend.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

im really at my wits end with daycare, they say they have to give kids the opportunity to nap (which is true, its the law here) but my son just doesnt need it... like on friday night he was up until almost MIDNIGHT because he napped at daycare, meanwhile on the weekend when he doesnt nap he is asleep by 8:30. he's not quite 4 yet so cant start kindergarten until next august, and i really cannot take another year and a half of this.

i asked his daycare today if they would be okay with us sending a tablet and headphones for him to use, at naptime only, which hopefully would keep him awake. otherwise i dont know what i am going to do.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
usually they'll let a kid read a book if they can't sleep during nap time but I kinda doubt they're gonna let one kid be on a tablet while everyone else naps.

daycare nap terrorism sucks rear end though, yeah.

fartman
Sep 19, 2021

lobster shirt posted:

im really at my wits end with daycare, they say they have to give kids the opportunity to nap (which is true, its the law here) but my son just doesnt need it... like on friday night he was up until almost MIDNIGHT because he napped at daycare, meanwhile on the weekend when he doesnt nap he is asleep by 8:30. he's not quite 4 yet so cant start kindergarten until next august, and i really cannot take another year and a half of this.

i asked his daycare today if they would be okay with us sending a tablet and headphones for him to use, at naptime only, which hopefully would keep him awake. otherwise i dont know what i am going to do.

This one was always a fight with whoever was doing the afternoon because of course they want the kids all to be sleeping, that's their coffee break

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

El Mero Mero posted:

price per hour is a stupid yard stick to calibrate against when you’re hiring someone for 2-6 hours once a month.

When you’re hiring by the task, not the hour don’t let the hourly wage guide you. better to find someone you like and let them set the rate. if it sounds criminal how they’re pricing themselves that’s a grey area about what to do.

There's a few more factors to consider I think. Like, if the kid is a rich kid out for additional Pokémon card money or a kid who doesn't get an allowance at all. I would feel pretty good underpaying most kids in my neighborhood, because they generally get what they need at home.
And obviously there's how much you can actually afford.

Disclaimer: I have never used a babysitter. I have no actual idea what I'm talking about, I just see kids who definitely aren't in dire need of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

Napping should end by age 3.