Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

cailleask posted:

I don’t have a hard line against ‘screen time’ as a thing, but I absolutely do have a hard line against unsupervised, unmonitored, uncurated exposure to the wilds of the internet. We’re all posting on these here website, I don’t need to explain to you the weird poo poo lurking there.

YouTube, even YouTube kids, is the wilds of the internet to me. My 4 year old starting loudly calling everyone BRO and trying to make prank battles. It’s not that it’s wrong, but that I had no insight into what he was watching and where it was coming from. What ELSE was he seeing in the wild internet?

For what it's worth we allow our kid to watch curated Minecraft videos on YouTube because they're utterly obsessed and they've started saying "bruh" all the time because some of the content creators say it. It's just the vernacular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Kiddos tablet is a kids fire tablet with like, 20 episodes of peppa pig, 20 episodes of Daniel tiger, 20 episodes of rando other kids stuff like hello Kitty and a handful of other things. Offline mode only

Kiddo can watch Disney+ or Netflix Kids. And very rarely we'll go to prime video but they just added commercials so probably not anymore

Kid does not get any access to YouTube except when at Grandma's house (that's her choice, I don't have any control over that) but it's YouTube on the main TV in the living room so arguably it's "supervised" mostly booba and Nikki and Vlad and maybe paw patrol which I don't like but ok I guess it's a special grandma treat

Down time doesn't need to be enriching but if I have a choice between mindless drivel like Vlad and Nikki and like, Story Bots on Netflix, or even just Spider Man and his Amazing Friends on Disney, at least that has some kind of plot, and it's not edited to give your kid the attention span of a humming bird

If it were me I'd intentionally put in the wrong WiFi password on the tablet and when the kid brings it to you "it's broken" act very concerned and try and fix it. In a couple of days give it to them with Disney+ installed and explain that the "red app broke it" and "the blue app fixed it"

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 15, 2024

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Sometimes I mess with the kids by firewalling off Disney+ when they've watched too much Bluey/Frozen.

The Internet is so flaky.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

We've made it to almost 10 months without the child watching TV or videos of any kind... hell, he's not even particularly interested in our phones any more because we never watch stuff on them when he's around, just do emails / texts etc. Guess we'll see how long this can last.

He's absolutely nuts about the record player though. Loves to watch the record spin (especially if it's a cool color / has a pattern on the vinyl), loves to dance to the music, just squeals in delight when I open the lid. There's few things funnier than watching him crawl around stopping every few feet to bounce his butt to the beat.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
It's about balance at the end of the day. Screen time should never be unlimited in my view, and while it's great if they do stuff that's enriching, ultimately they do a ton of poo poo outside of it and deserve some down time even if it's watching shite on Youtube (though I'd much rather they game or watch a decent show with a plot). But we've always been up front that it's limited, and when we say stop that's that. Though we don't always stick to exact limits and do try to be pragmatic according to circumstances.

Both mine now do most of their gaming on PCs, which is great as Microsoft Family offers quite a of controls, so we can limit the times they can game, overall screen time, see what sites they visit etc, while obviously having inappropriate stuff blocked.

We tend to leave the overall screen time limits off though and do this ourselves, because it doesn't distinguish between them gaming and doing homework. Also there's stuff in the middle: my son loves coding and goes to a club at weekends. Sometimes he asks to do some at home. Is that "screen time" that counts towards his gaming time? He's not going outside or entertaining himself, but he's learning a useful skill. We tend to not count that towards gaming time, but still don't let him do it for unlimited periods.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

Hadlock posted:

If it were me I'd intentionally put in the wrong WiFi password on the tablet and when the kid brings it to you "it's broken" act very concerned and try and fix it. In a couple of days give it to them with Disney+ installed and explain that the "red app broke it" and "the blue app fixed it"

excellent idea, thank you!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Why do I ever bother telling kids about upcoming plans before we are in the car going there. Telling them plans a week in advance was just an exercise in hubris.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I got the deets on how one of the kids ran into a wall full tilt at the babby's Christining.

They were playing, how fast can you run at the wall without hitting it. Presumably that kid lost.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Wow my son legit just told me he was going downstairs to get something, got it, then came back upstairs. All of the sudden I'm like wait, I had no part in that. He just did it. I didn't even worry about him on the stairs.

My second baby is grown. :smith:

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Sometimes I mess with the kids by firewalling off Disney+ when they've watched too much Bluey/Frozen.

Hadlock posted:

I prefer to tell them that I am the god who controls the internet, and when it stops working I am the one who willed it so, and they should pray I do not break it further.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Ah day 3 where the 3 year old has a fever. And now I have whatever he's got. At least it's not strep, though at least he could get antibiotics for that. We're just in the phase of "if he's not better by Monday come back to see the doctor."

Having a sick 3 year old is basically just experiencing one long meltdown because the 3 year old hair trigger is now even more...hairy? Made worse because he and the baby refuse to nap. Why are you like this children? Please...please just nap

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Ever since we watched the Mario Movie with toddler, she has been declaring that she wants to marry Princess Peach. So when I walked into the door from work yesterday, she walked up to meet and told me her plans to marry Princess Peach today, so she needed to go over to her house on Western (the street here in Chicago). I told her okay, and she seemed satisfied by that.

Shortly toddler began packing her backpack, talking about how much Princess Peach would love some of her Valentine's Day candy. Toddler put on her princess dress with the big hoop skirt, her winter coat, grabbed her backpack, and waved goodbye. So adorable!

But then she began unlocking the front door, and that was when I had to gently tell her I wasn't going to let her go to Western all by herself. She paused with her hand on the lock, looking over her shoulder at me, then began to pout. Truly committed to marrying Princess Peach!

I offered to play pretend down in the basement, so we had tea and she married Princess Peach and saved the candy babies from Bowser and all was well.

But man, she was ready to walk out that door!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Prime opportunity to tell her that the Princess is in another castle (Not Western st. anymore) and you whiffed. Smdh

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Slaan posted:

Prime opportunity to tell her that

On the way to daycare today mine said "plants like water"

To which I responded "it's got what plants crave"

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
like from the toilet?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My wife: [Daughter's] friend from school has his birthday that day

Me: Didn't he have one already?

My wife: Yeah, a year ago. It's his birthday again.

Me: Jesus Christ.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Brawnfire posted:

My wife: [Daughter's] friend from school has his birthday that day

Me: Didn't he have one already?

My wife: Yeah, a year ago. It's his birthday again.

loving relatable

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

My kid loves looking at the album art on Spotify on my phone (and sometimes the song lyrics), that’s my contribution to the screen time conversation

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

dismas posted:

My kid loves looking at the album art on Spotify on my phone (and sometimes the song lyrics), that’s my contribution to the screen time conversation

I think letting my daughter follow along to the lyrics for songs she already knew really helped her reading.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

Plus it expands her vocabulary! Unfortunately she’s asking me what it means to “bust with the whippet”

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

dismas posted:

Plus it expands her vocabulary! Unfortunately she’s asking me what it means to “bust with the whippet”

is your name Michael Diamond?!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My son has been enthusiastically agreeing with people's ideas recently. "THAT'S RIGHT!" with a finger pointing up in the air. How do I bottle this level of adorable?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I sometimes watch YouTube with my 3YO. he's really into videos about big machinery, like snowplows or giant engines or combine harvesters or whatever. But he is many years away from me letting him watch YouTube unsupervised.

InvisiBill
Jan 14, 2004
_ _

Pillbug

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I sometimes watch YouTube with my 3YO. he's really into videos about big machinery, like snowplows or giant engines or combine harvesters or whatever. But he is many years away from me letting him watch YouTube unsupervised.

A big win for us was “Mighty Machines”, from Canada. DVDs are on Amazon. I can’t recommend it enough.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

InvisiBill posted:

A big win for us was “Mighty Machines”, from Canada. DVDs are on Amazon. I can’t recommend it enough.

It is also on YouTube, if you aren't trying to stay away from that platform. The theme song is :krad: and my son refused to watch any episode other than the salt mine one, which he demanded to watch unceasingly.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Liquid suspension antibiotic: $155

Same antibiotic in capsule form for adults that doesn’t make my 3yo throw up when the capsule is opened and sprinkled on jello/pudding/etc: $7

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

3yo: Let's play trains.
Me: Okay. I'll get the tracks.
3yo: No, pretend trains.
Me: Ah, okay. We're on the train. Choo choo!
3yo: No! We're waiting for the train.
Me: Ah. When is the train getting here?
3yo: No talking waiting for the train!
(literally three minutes of us both standing in silence)
3yo: Here comes the train!
Me: Okay. Now we're getting on the train. Choo choo!
3yo: No talking on the train.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

On the subject of kids tv: the YouTube channel Little Bear Official has all the Little Bear cartoons with almost no commercials and no random links to other channels. Strongly recommend.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Inferior Third Season posted:

Sounds like an amazing game honestly.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Inferior Third Season posted:

You're clearly one step away from getting kicked out of the quiet car, sir/mam.
:v:

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

King Hong Kong posted:

Sounds like an amazing game honestly.

Yeah a kid inventing and enforcing a quiet time game is such a blessing. Hold onto it with all you've got.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Yeah I can still feel my son's last "game" in my eardrums

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My daughter just came back from her REAL sleepover with other kids! She's so excited it's insane.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

My 3 year old has been very sweet lately and definitely understands empathy and human emotions. He gets a big reaction by saying he loves the baby and loves the dogs.

With that understanding, he decided to use his newfound powers for Evil during his dinner time tantrum.

Got my first “I don’t love you” along with “you’re not my best friend” and “mama is the good guy, you’re the BAD guy”. I’m sure first of many.

One hour later he was back to saying he loved me and I was his best friend.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Glad she had fun. Actually, I've had the topic of sleepovers on my mental list for a couple months now. Sleepover age is pretty far off, but the topic came up and my wife was ADAMANTLY against it. Like, virulently opposed. It seemed to be a combination of cultural factors and growing up in the city, but it completely caught me off guard and was almost unimaginable to me. Sleepovers are some of my favorite childhood memories! It's fun for kids, it's social, and it helps build comfort being away from mom and dad just for a night. Are there people here who are against sleepovers or know people who are?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That is an interesting response, has she enumerated specific concerns or she just doesn't like the sleepover vibe?

I'm the same way as you, it was sleepovers left and right for me growing up. You haven't been a child until you make an adult stumble down the stairs half-awake to beg you to shut up, it's three AM

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
I just got my first "no" and "don't" from my 16mo son on Friday over trying to keep his toy boat tethered to the bath tub wall. So it begins!

Yesterday morning, I left him with my wife because I agreed to judge a high school debate tournament, and I felt a little guilty about not spending the day with him, and I swear he said "don't go" (he has started combining two words together fairly recently). Why did he learn that word now!? (He was fine, obvs.)

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Made it through half of Cars with my 3.5 year old until he started crying for me to put on a flag video instead. That's a win for me. We've only ever made it through Mary Poppins and Encanto, and that was a good year ago.

One day when he was a little over 2 something clicked in his brain that anything with a story was scary I guess. Suddenly stuff we used to always read or watch was cause for meltdowns.

I like that he enjoys learning videos and I can tell he actually takes something away from them a lot of the time, but he needs to learn a little resilience with conflict in stories. I like that he's a sweet and sensitive little dude but sometimes it's a little extreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Me, oafishly: I’ll bet this will be the time I can feed my 11mo yogurt without it being a catastrophic mess.

Maybe next time.