Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
So much of human behavior is predicated on incentives, often financial. A game with a bad economy fails to incentivize certain behaviors, often to the detriment of gameplay.

Red Dead 2, despite being an otherwise great game, has one of the worst economies I've ever seen. I was disincentived from being an outlaw because the game just throws money into your lap. Why bother sticking up some stage coach for $20 when the game rewards you with 2k for a bank job. Just dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Crime doesn't pay

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sandrock solves that problem by adjusting prices after every sale.
If you keep buying or selling stuff in bulk, the price will go up or down temporary to stop you from exploiting the system too much.

It works really well imo.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Exactly. A simulated supply and demand system is what games need.

This could lead to things like arbitrage, futures or starting your own merchant logistics and trading company.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Jack Trades posted:

Sandrock solves that problem by adjusting prices after every sale.
If you keep buying or selling stuff in bulk, the price will go up or down temporary to stop you from exploiting the system too much.

It works really well imo.

To be fair, you also really don't need to sell anything in Sandrock. Commissions are plenty of money, and the primary way by which you end up selling materials.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
And feeding Ernest's insatiable foodhole.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You're a jerk, whoever suggested DQB2. The characters are hideous and it doesn't have the character stuff I loved from other games and the controls kinda clunk in my hands, so I wasn't gonna get sucked into it if I tried the demo, right? WELL here I am, ten hours later...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Midnight Voyager posted:

You're a jerk, whoever suggested DQB2. The characters are hideous and it doesn't have the character stuff I loved from other games and the controls kinda clunk in my hands, so I wasn't gonna get sucked into it if I tried the demo, right? WELL here I am, ten hours later...

:getin: except it's a swole cockney miner instead of a frog

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Also happened to get into DQB2 lately and it's so good goddamn

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Midnight Voyager posted:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
The most distracting thing about DQB2 is expecting all of the human characters to go super saiyan at the drop of a hat.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

The most distracting thing about DQB2 is expecting all of the human characters to go super saiyan at the drop of a hat.

this only happens in the presence of bunny waitresses

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Soonmot posted:

I just started playing Wylde Flowers and I really dig it, but what the gently caress is up with the economy in that game. I made some juice, went to sell it and it sells for less than the component ingredients! Went on the wiki and it looks like that's a common thing across all recipes.

Yeah the economy in Wylde Flowers is a bit weird, though it varies depending on the item. I think it's fish sticks that are so overpriced (because their price apparently accounts for an average fish cost, but some fish types fit for cooking are insanely cheap and you can either buy or fish them in bulk), that instead of changing the price they patched in a "fish stick embargo" option in the difficulty settings. It does have some cool features, like off-season crops fetching a higher price, and a dress shop in the later game that'll periodically get orders for specific dresses so you can craft them at a huge profit.

Overall I really enjoyed WF, though it seems the current state of the game is meant to last for about two in-game years and I'm nearing that point (this is longer in playtime than most games of the genre, since for witchy reasons the seasons only turn as you progress the main quest). The central storyline takes about a year, and year two adds some smaller plot threads and new mechanics to keep you busy.

A highlight of the game is the voice acting and casual chats with the townies - if I wasn't a sicko that tries to chat with every single character almost every day, I feel I could have gone an entire year without getting a single repeated line. And it actually feels like small-town small-chat, too, since it'll usually be reactive to the current main quest, or they'll be gossiping about their neighbors, complaining about work or whatever. It works a lot better than "BOY, I SURE LOVE [SEASON] AND [FAVORITE GIFT]" in making the town feel lived-in.

I do have a long list of gripes with the game, but I'd say the main one is that the roster of romance candidates is pretty lackluster. I ended up marrying Kim because they're a catch, even though they probably stink of bleach and guts and they always react to my gifts with "wow thanks! my dad cooks it better though". Everyone else kinda sucks rear end, though? You have two manchildren, one not-scientologist, one woman who keeps bringing up her ex, one "my taste in hot beverages is my entire personality" bri'ish woman, and a lovely werewolf. I do appreciate that there's plenty of heart events for non-romanceable characters too, and they do a good job of fleshing them out, to the point that I wish some of them were romanceable instead.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
yeah for such a queer seeming game, the romance options are very limited. I'm probably going for nthe doctor, but Kim was my backup. Giva did seem nice, though. I've just gotten the quest to advance to fall, but I need to let my crops finish growing and I think I still have some cotton to plant.

Money wise, sugarcane was my goto in summer since each piece cooked down into 4 sugars.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Does DQB2 get ... I don't know, I wan to just say better? But I'll try to be more specific. I just started the second big island and was hoping that the hand-holding would abate but it's still these tiny objective quests with no deviation in the middle. I liked the 'build me a room' and laying out the farms on the first island but that was maybe 20% of the overall objectives with everything else being a pretty simple fetch quest.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

MerrMan posted:

Does DQB2 get ... I don't know, I wan to just say better? But I'll try to be more specific. I just started the second big island and was hoping that the hand-holding would abate but it's still these tiny objective quests with no deviation in the middle. I liked the 'build me a room' and laying out the farms on the first island but that was maybe 20% of the overall objectives with everything else being a pretty simple fetch quest.

It alternates between the quest areas and the freeform island. There's a story that you'll follow that is pretty on the rails (and gets to a point where you're not really building much anyway), but once you've done that, you can build on the big island with all three island types and all the blocks and stuff unlocked.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

MerrMan posted:

I eventually dropped it because it didn't get better about that before I got tired of it.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
DQB2 kind of nudges you along to finish the plot and the basic tablet requirements for an area on your island before you get total freedom to build whatever you want on your island, but iirc there's anything from stopping you from doing that in-between chapters if you don't mind not having access to everything just yet.

gently caress Skelkatraz and Moonbrooke forever.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rune Factory 3 is on sale for a respectable $19.99

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2243710/Rune_Factory_3_Special/

If anyone was waiting.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, all of the Story of Seasons Harvest Moon games and all of the Rune Factories seem to be 50% off on Steam.

Has anyone broken down which of the modern HM games/ports are actually fun?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

skeleton warrior posted:

Yeah, all of the Story of Seasons Harvest Moon games and all of the Rune Factories seem to be 50% off on Steam.

Def want some recommendations, Harvest Moon was an all timer for me

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

skeleton warrior posted:

I enjoyed A Wonderful Life a lot

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

skeleton warrior posted:

I think all of the new ones have been bad.

SV is the Friends of Mineral town one, but better. There's nothing wrong with the FoMT remake, but I can't make it through the first month without switching over to SV and playing that instead.

I heard Wonderful Life was a faithful remake. I haven't played it yet, so hopefully someone who has will chime in.

All of the Rune Factory remakes are good. 4 is the best. Playfeel, characters, variety, mechanics, everything is better in 4, unless you need 3D graphics then you have to go with 5.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 19, 2024

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Playing A Wonderful Life made me realize how much nostalgia sometimes isn't enough to enjoy a game. I thought the graphics were beautiful and starting the game up again really brought me back to my childhood, but after that charm wore off I gave up on the game before the end of the first year. Not enough things to do, gameplay is slow, the mining is boring as hell and unrewarding, animal care is slow. I think I played for almost 20 hours and it felt like barely anything happened.

I remembered that I never got past the second year when I played it as a kid either, so maybe the nostalgia was misplaced. You know how when you're a kid you play the beginning of a game for what feels like ages and it's totally fun because you're of a simpler young mind? It felt like that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

XSEED is having a big sale on Steam this week. Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin is on sale for $15, not to mention lots of Rune Factory titles, Friends of Mineral Town, Potionomics, and Little King's Story.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 21, 2024

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Potionomics isn't much of a life sim, but it's nice. I loved the character animations so much that it actually took me a hot minute to remember the game had no voice acting, since I just remembered the dialogue scenes carrying so much personality. The difficulty curve might seem steep if you're new to store management games, but if you can spot which price modifiers to exploit it should be a breeze.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

The Witch of Fern Island just came out. It wants to be a Stardew Valley/Sandrock with magic, but it's kind of hindered by a stiff translation, poor optimization (runs much worse than Sandrock without doing anything better), and just really marginal 3D graphics. Like, I don't think any of the female characters have eyebrows, that level of marginal graphics.

Haven't yet hit two hours in it. We'll see if they do any updates this week; if not, I'm probably sending it back given that SV is about to drop a new version with new stuff.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Does anyone know how to get married in Wonderful Life? I gave a blue feather and it was accepted, but the candidate just keeps talking about how they can't wait to get married but we have to wait. Wait for what?

There was a cutscene where we walked up to the not-goddess spring and talked, but nothing since.

I've been enjoying my time with the game until now. It's a really small game though. Tiny town, small farm. 2 crop choices per season. Huuuuge 8 animal starter barn and free chicken coop.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I believe you officially marry when the year changes

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
A Wonderful Life plays in chapters, with time skips, and scripted times for things to occur to some extent, like with marriage. I don’t know how the remake plays, but on the GameCube version you had to get married in year 1 otherwise the game was over. You leave the town. Roll credits.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

a7m2 posted:

I believe you officially marry when the year changes

Thanks for the information. I can't say I'm not disappointed since that's more than two months from now.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
A Wonderful Life rides the coattails of nostalgia to deliver a slow, featureless, and boring game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Spring Sale. These are the games that I don't own that seem worth trying... but... none of my steam friends have any amount of time in any of them and I've vaguely heard negative things about Coral Island and Kynseed.

Coral Island -24%
Kynseed -20%
Roots of Pacha -30%

However, I would highly recommend My Time at Portia for anyone who hasn't tried it that enjoys this genre. 6 bucks right now, down from 30. I put 200+ hours into it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Curious about Pacha too but I was turned off by multiple reviews saying “it’s very Stardew but doesn’t feel as good as Stardew.” I feel like it might not bring enough for me that it wouldn’t leave me with “I’ll just go play that.”

I’d love to be wrong if anyone really likes it though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The appeal is that while it didn't end up being better than the most popular game in the genre, it's a new game with new content, characters and story, etc.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I bounced off Coral Island but enjoyed a lot of Roots of Pacha, though I eventually got a bit bored of the late game grind

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Pacha seems to have co-op? Is that just like the full single player experience? Might stand above the others if I can enjoy it with my wife.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I found Pacha very, very grindy. YMMV.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Curious about Pacha too but I was turned off by multiple reviews saying “it’s very Stardew but doesn’t feel as good as Stardew.” I feel like it might not bring enough for me that it wouldn’t leave me with “I’ll just go play that.”

I’d love to be wrong if anyone really likes it though.

Roots of Pacha is a fine game, although on the grindier side even for this genre. It is, sadly, not a farming game like SV. Farming is the least efficient way to make money, or pretty much anything else, that I found in Roots of Pacha. Despite the game telling you that your job in the tribe is to farm, all other activities make more money for the same time investment, frequently several times as much as what you'd make doing farming. As long as you're willing to completely ignore the story about you being a farmer and spend most of your time playing the fishing minigame, it's probably okay.

Farming is something you have to unlock, so it takes a while to figure this out.

At least the dancing social interactions are fun the first time.

There are several games I'd recommend before Pacha:
Rune Factory 4 (& 3 & 5) if you like or at least tolerate anime and fighting.
My Time at Sandrock and My Time at Portia.

Then the second tier games like Sun Haven (great b-tier Stardew Valley-like as long as you don't mind playing with mouse and keyboard.)
Cattails: Wildwood Story (you're a cat! try the demo first)
Wylde Flowers (you're a witch! try the demo first, farming seems pretty minimal but the art and story is mostly cute)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

LLSix posted:

There are several games I'd recommend before Pacha:
Rune Factory 4 (& 3 & 5) if you like or at least tolerate anime and fighting.

Absolutely not.

The most polite way I've seen marriage candidates referred to in that series is "child coded"

Yeeesh.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 16, 2024