Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

RCarr posted:

Were there any dunks worth seeing?

https://twitter.com/LakeShowYo/status/1759057933558816854

An underrated hilariously awkward moment was when they were introducing the judges, they didn't completely cut the commentary crew's mics. Right after Darnell Hillman was introduced, you could clearly hear someone say something along the lines of "I don't know who he is."

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I think the main thing is that dunks are not a cool and novel thing like they were in 1990. They are a shopworn part of pop culture. Unless you upgrade the spectacle to like olympic gymnasts doing jackass level serious bodily harm stunts towards the rim, it's mostly not going to be great.

fart simpson posted:

?

he played for like 20 years minus a couple in the middle for retirements

well that makes even less mental sense then

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Paying2Lurk posted:

Okay, less joke-y answer. Make it 3 on 3 but every team has to have a current NBA player, a WBNA player, and then a random Legend / celeb / whatever.

I like this.

Ranger Vick
Dec 30, 2005
Kevin Hart going to have to guard Joel Embiid on the switch in next year's ASG. Extra points if he can dunk the ball and Hart at the same time.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Unless I’m missing something obvious, this is not worth seeing

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Embiid echoing NBA NV's opinions re: dunk contest...
https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid/status/1759061067160842647

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

RCarr posted:

i think it was xbilkis who said that yes that dunk is very difficult to do but it doesn't look interesting at all. mac's first year had a couple of dunks I felt similarly about but at least those had way more of a cool factor to appreciate

Dejan Bimble posted:

I think the main thing is that dunks are not a cool and novel thing like they were in 1990.

sorry but dunks are still Super Fuckin Cool it's not the dunk's fault that nobody at the dunk contest can properly show respect to The Dunk

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

fart simpson posted:

ill be honest. even when i was a small child i never cared about the dunk contest

Important question: Were you old enough to see the Vince Carter contest though?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Just do slamball but get g leaguers so real players don't have to deal with the shattered tibias

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Embiid echoing NBA NV's opinions re: dunk contest...
https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid/status/1759061067160842647

Athletes getting older never stops being funny

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

The thing about a 3pt contest is it's not the same thing as "being good at shooting 3s". You need to keep your form consistent despite being tired (and everyone gets tired) you need to fight against your natural rhythm to shoot fast enough, and it's a weird spectacle that you need to mentally deal with. The fact that she did so well from the NBA men's line no less is incredibly impressive. Curry is used to those factors having done a bunch of these before.

I always thought certain shooters were disadvantaged vs. other shooters. Anyone who uses their legs a lot probably is at a bigger stamina disadvantage than someone who just effortlessly flings it off tip toes. And similar for people that have wind ups or multiple parts. Even if Huerter wasn’t complete crap last year I still didn’t think he’d get far since he requires jumping and a bring ball up and then dip before release on all his shots

And that’s not even getting in to how the Starry ball favors players who have more range. Buddy Hield has no range one foot beyond the line and barely beat out Booker for his win because he missed his two while Booker hit both

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k
id rather watch little kids dunking on a nerf hoop at this point

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
come to the nuggets Luka, you clearly love Jokic

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/Double0AG/status/1759074020132057175

wholesome all star weekend content for yall

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I guess we know Aaron's an animal person

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Probably Magic posted:

Important question: Were you old enough to see the Vince Carter contest though?

Bitch I saw MJ vs Dominique

(Carter was the best)

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

RCarr posted:

No one has ever done it in the dunk contest, it's super difficult because of how you have to torque and tense your body to fly into the air. To release that ball means you have to have enough momentum to grab it and go, it's a feat of athletics and skill.

Kenny Smith is being savaged on twitter as a misogynist but I really think he's just an old timer who was trying to defend Sabrina's honor as a skilled ball player who was playing on a field tilted to steph, by shooting from the further line with a bigger ball.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Court was cool as hell. Don't know if they showed it but during one break they did a Nick Arcade "be in the game" thing for people to win ASG tickets. Seeing the hype vids on the court pre-dunk was a solid use. I also don't know how easy it was to see for the players but there was a direct path around the correct side of the skills dribbling part that nobody apparently could figure out to follow.

Biggest pop from the crowd of the night was after the court flipped to the garden after the Jaylen dunk. Loud boos for that. 2nd to that was the boos every time a dunk score was shown.

Steph/Sabrina had the crowd going the whole time, that was the best event in arena.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
My biggest takeaway from the screen floor is that is it kinda cool, but I was surprised just how much light it emitted. The green on the floor during the 3pt competition looked blinding for the players.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lifespan posted:

My biggest takeaway from the screen floor is that is it kinda cool, but I was surprised just how much light it emitted. The green on the floor during the 3pt competition looked blinding for the players.

I am admittedly more light sensitive than the average person being a light blue eyed guy who had the lasik where they cut your astigmatism off, but it gave me a blinding headache

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

No one has ever done it in the dunk contest, it's super difficult because of how you have to torque and tense your body to fly into the air. To release that ball means you have to have enough momentum to grab it and go, it's a feat of athletics and skill.

Kenny Smith is being savaged on twitter as a misogynist but I really think he's just an old timer who was trying to defend Sabrina's honor as a skilled ball player who was playing on a field tilted to steph, by shooting from the further line with a bigger ball.

She shot with a WNBA ball so Kenny picked two contradictory at arguments and fumbled his point

I could almost empathize because shooting is about repetition so shooting with the same rules they’ve dedicated their lives to training around seems like a fair argument. But Kenny Smith historically overestimates his intelligence and stumbles into a stupid argument and get stubborn and indignant when people can’t understand his clearly brilliant point so he can live with the fallout

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

quote:

Smith: "I think right now the Lakers' role players are eating soup with a spoon, because they're not hungry. If you eat soup with a fork, then you're left hungry.

"Think about it. If you eat soup with a spoon, you get everything easily, all the endorsements, all the attention. You feel you don't have to work as hard. ... But if you eat soup with a fork, then you work hard to get everything and to take care of that hunger."

Barkley: "Kenny, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. First of all, if you eat soup with a fork, you're an idiot. You're not going to get anything."

Smith: "That's my point. ... You've got to work hard to get results. The Lakers have to be hungry to win."

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

:kiddo:

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I'll admit I laughed at the first Pacers dig Kenny gave Reggie, but then he repeated the joke a little later and it reminded me of people who get cruel when they drink.

I'm not even sure if he entirely knew what point he was trying to make re Sabrina.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

She shot with a WNBA ball so Kenny picked two contradictory at arguments and fumbled his point

I could almost empathize because shooting is about repetition so shooting with the same rules they’ve dedicated their lives to training around seems like a fair argument. But Kenny Smith historically overestimates his intelligence and stumbles into a stupid argument and get stubborn and indignant when people can’t understand his clearly brilliant point so he can live with the fallout

fair enough

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Athanatos posted:

Steph/Sabrina had the crowd going the whole time, that was the best event in arena.

Yeah been my daughter really got into this one (and was pissed that cheesy rear end Curry won).

Next year they should pick all the All Stars, and then match them up in different fun competitions like this, rather than a boring All Star game.

Lifespan posted:

I was also surprised about how the floor didn't completely screw up the 3-point shooting (cause of the bright light) or the dunking (cause they're jumping off a screen).

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Lmao

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Spacebump posted:

https://twitter.com/LakeShowYo/status/1759057933558816854

An underrated hilariously awkward moment was when they were introducing the judges, they didn't completely cut the commentary crew's mics. Right after Darnell Hillman was introduced, you could clearly hear someone say something along the lines of "I don't know who he is."

Lakers twitter needs to answer for its crimes against humanity

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Dejan Bimble posted:

I think the main thing is that dunks are not a cool and novel thing like they were in 1990. They are a shopworn part of pop culture. Unless you upgrade the spectacle to like olympic gymnasts doing jackass level serious bodily harm stunts towards the rim, it's mostly not going to be great.

well that makes even less mental sense then

In a game the beauty of a dunk is the lack of anticipation. A guy either does a sock dunk out of nowhere an everyone is surprised, or he’s all alone on a breakaway and the crowd gets to tense up for a few seconds at most beforehand. There is far too much anticipation and waiting time for a dunk contest dunk to be nearly as fun. The dunks have to be wholly unique, extremely technically difficult, and flawlessly executed for them to come across as impressively

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

The dunk contest is actually currently replaying at the restaurant I’m at, and I just saw mclung dunk over shaq, which makes me think of the phrase “mclung my back my pussy and my shaq.” Perhaps not all is lost

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Dejan Bimble posted:

No one has done it because it doesn’t look impressive in any way, probably.

How is grabbing it and going off someone’s hand simple, but grabbing it and going out of the air a magical feat? Isn’t that what an alley oop is? Grabbing the ball and then moving it in a different direction? I’m honestly curious as to what could possibly make this difficult. Id like to see other players try it and if it’s some impossible feat, then sure I guess it’s a great dunk. As is, it looks pretty drat basic.

You also just might be being sarcastic and it went right over my head.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
Dunks aren't cool if no one is trying to stop you. Dunking right on a guy is the best kind of dunk. Crazy breakaway dunks are cool because the dunker beat the entire other team to get that dunk, and then styled on them on top of it.

Dunk contests will never have that and no amount of dumb props or big stars will ever bridge that gap.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

RCarr posted:

No one has done it because it doesn’t look impressive in any way, probably.

How is grabbing it and going off someone’s hand simple, but grabbing it and going out of the air a magical feat? Isn’t that what an alley oop is? Grabbing the ball and then moving it in a different direction? I’m honestly curious as to what could possibly make this difficult. Id like to see other players try it and if it’s some impossible feat, then sure I guess it’s a great dunk. As is, it looks pretty drat basic.

You also just might be being sarcastic and it went right over my head.

I'm not being sarcastic, I guess you could try it at home by grabbing two dumbbells (like let's say 5 pounders to keep it safe) run and jump as high as you can, lift them to your shoulders, drop them at your waist, grab them again and pull them up and over your head. it takes coordination and pop to be able to do that, like the nba players excitement in reaction was because they could see it's a very tricky thing to do. I'm not saying it's the best dunk in herstory or anything, but probably the highest degree of difficulty thing from last night

https://twitter.com/TFBChuckTheBoss this guy coaches all the dunk contest participants and gives them ideas, he had a video of mcclung doing the full extension version of that dunk but it's for some reason deleted now. Or maybe I'm blind and can't see it. but it looked great, it's a shame he wasn't able to do that in the contest

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Kenny just wanted to whine about Sabrina using a smaller ball. He was also complaining throughout the dunk contest and skill competitions. I think it's less him being sexist and him more being the type of person who can't just have fun and has to worry about games being the ultimate definition of fair.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

ChickenMedium posted:

Dunks aren't cool if no one is trying to stop you. Dunking right on a guy is the best kind of dunk. Crazy breakaway dunks are cool because the dunker beat the entire other team to get that dunk, and then styled on them on top of it.

Dunk contests will never have that and no amount of dumb props or big stars will ever bridge that gap.

This is the way. If you want to be in the dunk contest you gotta yam it on Gobert/Wemby/Bam/AD/whichever big is most scary that year.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Doltos posted:

Kenny just wanted to whine about Sabrina using a smaller ball. He was also complaining throughout the dunk contest and skill competitions. I think it's less him being sexist and him more being the type of person who can't just have fun and has to worry about games being the ultimate definition of fair.

I thought his point was she should shoot from the wnba line (which she’s used to) to make it more fair but couldn’t quite verbalize it

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Algund Eenboom posted:

In a game the beauty of a dunk is the lack of anticipation. A guy either does a sock dunk out of nowhere an everyone is surprised, or he’s all alone on a breakaway and the crowd gets to tense up for a few seconds at most beforehand. There is far too much anticipation and waiting time for a dunk contest dunk to be nearly as fun. The dunks have to be wholly unique, extremely technically difficult, and flawlessly executed for them to come across as impressively

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWTrOWOl1Ws

this was one of the better ones i saw in person

:rip: Lawson and Faried

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 18, 2024

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Doltos posted:

It’s odd seeing Kenny turn into a bitter whiney old man because he used to be the designated all star Saturday hype man

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Chronicles posted:

I thought his point was she should shoot from the wnba line (which she’s used to) to make it more fair but couldn’t quite verbalize it

yeah, the impression i got was that he thought sabrina was at a disadvantage and decided to express that in a very stupid way (then proceeded to ignore reggie trying to drag him away from it)

i haven't gone back to listen again or anything and it doesn't excuse him saying stupid poo poo, but i don't think the intent was sexist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Why was the Gordon Lavine dunk contest so incredible? What qualities made it great? That wasn't that long ago.