Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

sirtommygunn posted:

Flurry of Blows is 4 attacks I think, you take the action once and then repeat it 3 times.

Ok, that makes it better as a pure boss-killer event that you buy before the final scenario.

thebardyspoon posted:

Full expansions are out in some countries, someone is showing off the cards here, Guardians first, confirms that the leaks were real seemingly. Think there's only a couple cards utterly unspoiled now but they will get revealed at some point soon.

https://arkham-starter.com/explore/fhv

Looks like all cards have been revealed now.

Guardian: I mostly like the low XP cards like Wolf Mask, Ancestral Token, Task Force, Tinker and Strong-Armed. Both Cleaning Kits look very good for gun decks. Eyes of Valusia and Miracle Wish are both a bit too finicky for my liking. I thought Eyes of Valusia might be really good for Akechi, but I'm pretty sure her ability wouldn't affect it actually.

Seeker: Testing Sprint is bonkers good for Luke. Gabriel continues the trend of Seeker getting really good allies. On the whole though, I don't feel like the "Succeed by exactly X" archetype got enough support. Steady-Handed is the only card that allows you any control over how much you succeed by, once a turn, and Chemistry Set is the only good payoff for it. I would have liked more.

Rogue: Bianca is a minimum of 3 actions to get 8 resources while Bank Job gets you 6 in 2 actions. I'm not that jazzed for either tbh. The upgraded Fake Credentials is crazy good, it's super hard to get to the point where you're punished for using it and effectively just turns off Shroud. Lightfooted isn't going to be useful very often in lower player counts, but auto-evading an Elite enemy is still a strong AF effect. That and Bewitching are clearly designed for Rita which is neat but the latter will likely be stellar for a lot of Rogues. British Bull Dog is the much-awaited Agility gun and it's good, I guess.

Mystic: Is this the first expansion without ANY kind of Fight, Investigate and Evade spell assets? It's all events, all the time baby! Not that Kohaku needs it, I already like the look of him flexing with Blessed Blade 4 and Prismatic Spectacles. I also really like Seal of the Elders. Hard to trigger reliably but a big payoff if you do, or you just invest in Olive stocks. Ethereal Weaving is another great Luke card.

Survivor: The only card we haven't seen yet is Hunting Jacket, which is a neat little card. I like the effect, especially for Hank. I wish there were more cards based around moving damage or horror. There doesn't seem to be any real theme to the Survivor cards here, it's just a bunch of random archetype support.

Neutral: The Diadem is poo poo compared to the other masks.

Weaknesses: Not terrible, but potentially very annoying if you have those slots filled and keep taking the horror/damage putting them back into your deck.

Surprising winners of this set: Rita and Luke.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
British Bulldog rocks, I love the triggered effect. It does sort of make Sharpshooter feel a little silly, but then it’s kind of a silly card.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
There are a lot of great toys for Patrice, but hunting jacket is above them all. Her biggest flaw is the order in which she catches assets, and this solves it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Nephthys posted:

I don't feel like the "Succeed by exactly X" archetype got enough support. Steady-Handed is the only card that allows you any control over how much you succeed by, once a turn, and Chemistry Set is the only good payoff for it. I would have liked more.

People are speculating there'll be some sort of new, precision liking character, a guardian I guess with high agility and high strength in the next set, which seems like from the hint, if they continue the campaign/investigator boxes being linked of course, to be a gangster themed one. Hopefully with lots of firearms, illicit and tool stuff for Finn and Wilson.

Obviously Michael McGlen the gangster would probably be in that, as the rogue no doubt since they seem fully intent on the criminals always being rogue, I think it'd be cool if he was the guardian just to switch it up a bit but eh. George Barnaby the lawyer probably too, he's on some of the artwork in this set I think and they had stuff like Damning Testimony in TSK that seemed like it'd be a fit for him. They gotta make some new ones up for every expansion now since I think they only have 4 characters from the old Arkham games unmade in the LCG, those 2 mentioned above and then Agatha and Gloria (who is in the game but only in novella form, weirdly unmade in actual set form for like 3 or so years now) so like a sniper, hitman or a bodyguard in that "precision" role could make sense.

I was expecting more tools in general across the classes or at least one big tool (ha) for Wilson and then more science stuff in general through the set in all the classes since the theme of the campaign is like a botanical survey, they had Kate in the set and some reanimator references.

There's enough in the box for other characters I'm looking to play in the near future so I'm buying the box still but mainly because with boardgame stuff, I'm always hesitant to wait on stuff I know I want just because I just got into Netrunner like a week before it went under with no warning, had the expansion that was coming out that week preordered, still managed to get it and then saw it was going for £150 online basically immediately so was glad I had it. Would kick myself if that happened with Arkham, know it's unlikely but they are owned by Embracer ultimately right.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

People are speculating there'll be some sort of new, precision liking character, a guardian I guess with high agility and high strength in the next set, which seems like from the hint, if they continue the campaign/investigator boxes being linked of course, to be a gangster themed one. Hopefully with lots of firearms, illicit and tool stuff for Finn and Wilson.

Obviously Michael McGlen the gangster would probably be in that, as the rogue no doubt since they seem fully intent on the criminals always being rogue, I think it'd be cool if he was the guardian just to switch it up a bit but eh. George Barnaby the lawyer probably too, he's on some of the artwork in this set I think and they had stuff like Damning Testimony in TSK that seemed like it'd be a fit for him. They gotta make some new ones up for every expansion now since I think they only have 4 characters from the old Arkham games unmade in the LCG, those 2 mentioned above and then Agatha and Gloria (who is in the game but only in novella form, weirdly unmade in actual set form for like 3 or so years now) so like a sniper, hitman or a bodyguard in that "precision" role could make sense.

I was expecting more tools in general across the classes or at least one big tool (ha) for Wilson and then more science stuff in general through the set in all the classes since the theme of the campaign is like a botanical survey, they had Kate in the set and some reanimator references.

There's enough in the box for other characters I'm looking to play in the near future so I'm buying the box still but mainly because with boardgame stuff, I'm always hesitant to wait on stuff I know I want just because I just got into Netrunner like a week before it went under with no warning, had the expansion that was coming out that week preordered, still managed to get it and then saw it was going for £150 online basically immediately so was glad I had it. Would kick myself if that happened with Arkham, know it's unlikely but they are owned by Embracer ultimately right.

I prefer it when the cards in a set are designed for the investigator in that set, not for someone we aren't getting for a year or two. It's happened more than a few times now that an archetype is half-baked for a few expansions until they finally support it. It wouldn't even make that much sense to make a Guardian based on this archetype since all of the "Succeed by exactly X" cards so far are Science-based except the Katana. What kind of dipshit runs around with a Katana and a Chemistry Set, J C Denton?

I fully agree that it would have been nice to have one really cool high XP tool for Wilson. I guess he has the Microscope, huge flavor win for our Handyman, but how cool would it have been to get a loving 5XP scythe?! Also agree that it would have been nice to see more science cards, maybe a chem gun that uses Intellect, a pesticide that lowers fight value or rubber gloves that protect you from treacheries. Theme is hugely important to making an expansion feel cohesive and interesting imo and I feel like they could have gone a bit further with it this expansion.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 1, 2024

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ok, I'm feeling less whiney now. Hemlock Vale is cool actually. Thinking more about it, Bianca is pretty good for Alessandra. She gets an extra action to use her and doesn't care if she spawns the enemy version because she can just parlay and Beguile her. Testing Sprint is also absolutely cracked with Amanda using Deduction.

Has everyone decided on who they're taking on their first tour of Hemlock?

I was thinking of Alessandra and Hank, but with the full set out I'm actually not that enthused about Hank anymore. There's not really many cards for him introduced this set and Survivor didn't get many new XP cards. I'm not interested in Dark Horse 5, which feels redundant in him anyway with those stats. Plus with Alessandra you arguably don't want to be killing that many enemies.

Kate looks fun though, the minigame of juggling clues for boosts seems like it could be neat. So I may try running the two ladies and seeing if I can handle getting clues and keeping a bunch of enemies on the board. Alessandra gets some good fight events and Kate can take Strange Solutions and the Myconid for any additional enemies that have to die.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I had a fun time with Kate in Innsmouth. (Horror in high Gear was weird though because you immediately lose all your clues repeatedly, but transmogrify is an excellent counter to some of the beasties that otherwise move and move and move.)

I’m definitely bringing Köh, for a twisted bless curse deck. Maybe parley Aless, depending on how good she can do for enemy management. It’s hard to take in all the parlay cards at once. But Razor takes care of both foes effectively.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

It does seem like we're overdue for a "pure" fighter Guardian, and it's been ages since we've had any big guns, so maybe those two things will go together next time. I just hope we don't have to wait another 15 months for it.

Some more comments on random cards, in no particular order:

I thought this looked terrible from the text spoiler, but parsing it again with the actual card image makes me think it's less terrible. It may get better in future if more precision-based tech is printed (and I think that is an interesting design space to explore) but right now when I look at a card like this I see a challenge. I will say first that a one damage weapon is generally awful and you always want to be doing two damage as a baseline, but in this case you can get that two damage, it just takes two skill tests (from two different stats).

Anyway, there are several ways to try to hammer some consistency into this card, but my picks would be something like this:

You bring your baseline stat up to match the enemy you're fighting, then...

You draw a Bless token and use Ancient Covenant, which guarantees your +2. So an ideal candidate for practicing the blade is our Rookie Cop:

There's probably some new Bless tech and asset/damage/horror moving stuff in the set to synergize with his abilities too but I haven't looked very hard. There's also a few other cards that could help the Katana too, like these:

Enchant Weapon gives you a fast two damage attack, and Lucky XP3 can pull a three damage hit out of nowhere sometimes while being generally a good card anyway. Of course, all of this is a lot of XP and effort to simply get one three damage hit each turn, but you could add Galvanize or something too.

This card has Mark Harrigan's name all over it and nobody else's. I'm not a big Mark player but I assume it is actually worth the XP for him.

I really like this for Luke Robinson, as Nepthys mentioned. It makes him a lot more interesting to me and I might even consider him for my first playthrough.

And yeah, this card makes Patrice a lot more appealing too, plus the other stuff for her.

We got five new Practiced cards this time, and they're always interesting ones to evaluate because you have to consider the extra value from Practice Makes Perfect. Mesmeric Influence looks solid as a Guts Plus a Bit Extra (and it fits into that Luke deck) and I like how Lightfooted lets you evade an elite enemy. There are a lot of ways to benefit from dragging an enemy around now and the Seeker pool has a fair bit of evade tech so I can see it popping up in something. Esoteric Method is simply good for helping you pass a test plus you'll make use of the Curse tokens anyway, and Well Dressed is again good for passing tests. Which just leaves Long Shot, and even without an icon boost I'd have to call it good simply because Vicious Blow is good.

I like the new Doubles because using your action economy correctly is one of the fundamental ways you can demonstrate skill in this game (the other being risk assessment) so having additional ways to manipulate it is straight-up interesting. I'm not going to comment on all of them, but I really love Bide Your Time because it's an incredibly clean and, dare I say, elegant design. Trade two actions now for two actions later. It couldn't be simpler, and yet finding the right time to play it to make the most of it will probably require a lot of thought. It's a card you'll want to see when you're fully set up and have a lot of resources to burn, which is its main trade-off; it might show up early and sit in your hand doing nothing. But the more prepared you are to use it, the stronger it gets.

So yeah, Luke and Patrice seem like nice ideas for my first playthrough. But I'm also tempted to revisit Sister Mary now that there's a lot of new Bless tech. Of the new investigators, I really like Allessandra with all the cool new Parley cards, but I've played Rogues in my last couple of campaigns so I dunno. Kate looks cool too, and I can only assume Wilson gets a lot more out of his deckbuilding than it seems at first glance because it really looks like they short-changed him with this set of player cards. He could end up being good in the campaign anyway though since they always try to tailor the campaigns to the investigators that come with them.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

I had a fun time with Kate in Innsmouth. (Horror in high Gear was weird though because you immediately lose all your clues repeatedly, but transmogrify is an excellent counter to some of the beasties that otherwise move and move and move.)

I’m definitely bringing Köh, for a twisted bless curse deck. Maybe parley Aless, depending on how good she can do for enemy management. It’s hard to take in all the parlay cards at once. But Razor takes care of both foes effectively.

I'm interested to see whether blurse is strong now with Kohaku. I've never played curse (too much of a chicken) but this expansion does look like it offers enough to bring blurse and pure curse into their own. It's super easy to stuff the bag now. Gabriel and Prismatic Specs are both really good for adding curses and passively giving you benefits for it.

On that note, I saw it pointed out on discord that Gabriel is Kohaku's partner as per his back text. So he's mandatory in Kohaku decks. :colbert:

Kalko posted:

I thought this looked terrible from the text spoiler, but parsing it again with the actual card image makes me think it's less terrible. It may get better in future if more precision-based tech is printed (and I think that is an interesting design space to explore) but right now when I look at a card like this I see a challenge. I will say first that a one damage weapon is generally awful and you always want to be doing two damage as a baseline, but in this case you can get that two damage, it just takes two skill tests (from two different stats).

It's an awkward card and I still think its real bad. There are a few options to try and make it work other than what you mentioned. You can just attack 3 times in a turn and hope you get the "crit" of two damage, with a 4th attack as an option if you don't. But that's super inefficient and dangerous if the scenario has some bad token effects. The +2 combat can actually screw you over against low combat score enemies too. Joe, Roland and Vincent can take it with Steady-handed to try and get some consistency out of it. They all have garbage agility though, in fact, all Guardians do. The only one who might want to be using the 4th attack is Lily Chen if she takes her Agility signature. Some Guardians can't get a good score even with Enchant Weapon. You can also just use Strong-Armed until you get the token you need, lol.

In general, all really inefficient and costly options when Machete is like, right there.

I've never really thought about it before because I don't play them, but I'm guessing you can't just use Physical Training and Combat Trainings effects after you've revealed tokens to manipulate how much you succeed by?

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 3, 2024

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

No, there's no window to use abilities between ST.4 and ST.5 (resolve chaos token/determine modified skill value).

The other thing the Katana has going for its +2 Combat boost. I think the only other level zero weapons in Guardian with +2 are the Enchanted Blade and the .45 Thompson, both of which have limited charges. If you have Vicious Blow and the new Long Shot maybe you can get enough two damage hits to make it worthwhile, though of course three damage is also a common enemy HP breakpoint.

If you take it as Lily you'd want to commit to it for a while since it would be one of your five level zero blue cards. I think its generally better to use those slots on cards you won't replace for the entire campaign rather than ones you'll upgrade out of since it potentially gives you some capabilities you can't otherwise get.

The Katana is a bad card but a three damage hit is enough of an incentive for us to be workshopping all the angles. It reminds me a bit of the .35 Winchester which, come to think of it, is another +2 Combat level zero weapon, but that one was a lot easier to get some value from.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Just beat TIC with Kate. I love the flexibility of the floating +2s; I love how both her signatures synergize with microscopes. I really hope we get more out of class science cards, so I can have an excuse to play her again in a year or so. I was double fisting microscope(4)s; by the time we had enough clues, I had 10 extra evidence.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Someone in the Mythos Busters Discord used a Chinese company that makes board game boxes to make themselves one of these:

They've also made dividers and printed out the fan made Return to The Innsmouth Conspiracy found here: https://inexorablefate.com/projects/

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Dream Eaters in the new format in May/June. Hurray! Maybe Innsmouth later this year?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah will likely be done with the reprints of the old campaigns by the end of this year and then we'll see if they have plans/the capacity to speed up the release of new campaigns very slightly, I doubt they'd go to 2 a year but maybe a 9 month gap or something, regardless I hope we never have a gap like the one between TSK and Hemlock Vale again.

I got my box on Friday, obviously nothing different from the previews but for some reason having the cards in hand makes it easier for me to deckbuild with them as opposed to just images in a spoiler article. They're all up on arkhamdb as well now too. Speedy and efficient, think it took a week or so for the Scarlet Keys box to actually have text for all the cards.

Main thing I'm really looking forward to is the campaign, I've managed to avoid spoilers even more than I did for TSK but the little I do know is getting me hyped, it almost sounds exactly like what I wanted from an Arkham campaign. Made a Countess and fighty Kohaku deck to play through it for the blind playthrough.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I accidentally pre-ordered from Bordlandia when I had a Team Covenant subscription. Team Covenant is listed as "label created" and they say they're shipping the campaign and investigator boxes together but that's not what the order page says; Bordlandia says my investigator box will be here Wednesday. Some people have had one or both already for a week or more. Every release I'm trying to remember which place to order from to get it the fastest in the 3-4 week period the product trickles out. I'm impatient, damnit

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah will likely be done with the reprints of the old campaigns by the end of this year and then we'll see if they have plans/the capacity to speed up the release of new campaigns very slightly, I doubt they'd go to 2 a year but maybe a 9 month gap or something, regardless I hope we never have a gap like the one between TSK and Hemlock Vale again.

I got my box on Friday, obviously nothing different from the previews but for some reason having the cards in hand makes it easier for me to deckbuild with them as opposed to just images in a spoiler article. They're all up on arkhamdb as well now too. Speedy and efficient, think it took a week or so for the Scarlet Keys box to actually have text for all the cards.

Main thing I'm really looking forward to is the campaign, I've managed to avoid spoilers even more than I did for TSK but the little I do know is getting me hyped, it almost sounds exactly like what I wanted from an Arkham campaign. Made a Countess and fighty Kohaku deck to play through it for the blind playthrough.
I feel sorry for longer term players of the game, but the new re-releases have been utterly amazing for us newer players. We got the re-released core set and have been playing all the re-released campaigns as they've been coming out and having a blast. Then when Innsmouth is out we'll have even more to play!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

It’s certainly good for the long-term health of the game, not necessarily from an economic standpoint (hard to measure supporting new players vs maintaining the engagement of longtime players) but in terms of the game being available for people in perpetuity. Chasing down mythos packs was annoying for anyone not playing as they released, and was only getting harder to do as time ran on.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I don't begrudge the rereleases, I suspect the reason for the relative delay on the new release (which was only 5 months or so, not intolerable but longer than I'd like certainly) was either they shifted their resources towards other games like that Star Wars TCG or the designer handover process introduced some delays. The reprints just filled the gap that would have existed anyway and are probably helping keep the game alive and more easily bought for people.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I've also got my investigator box. Looks like they understood that Kohaku's ability would be annoying to track so they have a handy wheel to keep track on curse and bless tokens.

I have a tentative Kate deck sorted out. I'm a bit worried about how many assets it has but her ability does incentivize you to have plenty of Tool and Science assets. Had to drop the Microscope even, but I picked up Maimed Hand as an weakness so it made sense to do it. Didn't end up grabbing any off-class Insight cards, you really can't go wrong with just sticking to Seeker!

I'm not sure about the Alessandra deck I've cooked up. It's so hard to fit everything into her deck size, there are all these great parley cards I want to use! I'm definitely going to wait for some people to bring out their own decks and adjust. I'm feeling better about trying to flex with her though, turns out a lot of parley cards are based around enemy management and damage.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 18, 2024

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

There are a boatload of useful Kate insights. It’s a shame you’ve got maimed hand, dual fisting microscope(4) turns her into a clue monster on par with Daisy and Amanda.

Fun insights: Fortuitous Discovery(costly but great clue acceleration)
Scout ahead (because at level zero you’re not getting a lot of movement)
Delve too deep (get those VP!)
Scene of the crime (for early clues or high shrouds)
Tinker (gives you back your hand slots)
Quantum flux (great partner with practice makes perfect).

Empirical hypothesis is a must have for her; I also house ruled that scientific theory is a science card, because of course.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

There are a boatload of useful Kate insights. It’s a shame you’ve got maimed hand, dual fisting microscope(4) turns her into a clue monster on par with Daisy and Amanda.

Fun insights: Fortuitous Discovery(costly but great clue acceleration)
Scout ahead (because at level zero you’re not getting a lot of movement)
Delve too deep (get those VP!)
Scene of the crime (for early clues or high shrouds)
Tinker (gives you back your hand slots)
Quantum flux (great partner with practice makes perfect).

Empirical hypothesis is a must have for her; I also house ruled that scientific theory is a science card, because of course.

Oh yeah, there are definitely some good ones out there for her, I just didn't have the space since I felt I needed to have more card draw and econ cards. Here's what I have so far:

https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/3589722

The idea is to get Fine Tuning on Chem Set so I can gamble twice a turn and eventually use Strange Solutions, the Myconid, I've Got A Plan! and Transmogrify to deal with enemies. Bizarre Diagnosis and Logical Reasoning are there because her Willpower stinks and as easy cards to upgrade out of the deck.

I am considering dropping Mouse Mask for Empirical Hypothesis. I was thinking it would be good to have to help with her weakness but the extra card draw instead would be nice. Triggering Chem Set twice, Empirical Hypothesis and Dr Milan each round would be the ideal game board to just continually get more and more cash and cards.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think with Alessandra you probably don't want to go too hard on the parley stuff cause she does have 3 copies of her signature which gives you a lot just there, I reckon just a couple more probably gets you what you need without throwing off your economy or leaving you high and dry clue or combat wise whichever way you've gone.

I've gone for the classic lucky cigarette case, lockpicks, fine clothes with friends in low places item traited to ensure I get what I need and then breaking and entering, kicking the hornets nest to make sure I can get enemies and money, bank job, string of curses and then backstab for her weakness. I'll probably get snitch, vamp level 3 and bewitching asap when I upgrade. Despite it being such a staple I've not played lucky cigarette case at all yet so I'm gonna play a Winifred deck and this countess deck in relatively quick succession.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Played Depths of Yoth today. I think the scenario is a lot of fun, though our vengeance level meant that we started in a precarious position and spawned Yig just about as soon as we were able to get moving. This led to one of our players getting mobbed and defeated on depths level 1. After that, we were able to get a better tempo going, and even held our own against 4+ encounter cards per player per turn for a while, but gassed out before we could make it to depth 5 for the win.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Nephthys posted:

Oh yeah, there are definitely some good ones out there for her, I just didn't have the space since I felt I needed to have more card draw and econ cards. Here's what I have so far:

https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/3589722

The idea is to get Fine Tuning on Chem Set so I can gamble twice a turn and eventually use Strange Solutions, the Myconid, I've Got A Plan! and Transmogrify to deal with enemies. Bizarre Diagnosis and Logical Reasoning are there because her Willpower stinks and as easy cards to upgrade out of the deck.

I am considering dropping Mouse Mask for Empirical Hypothesis. I was thinking it would be good to have to help with her weakness but the extra card draw instead would be nice. Triggering Chem Set twice, Empirical Hypothesis and Dr Milan each round would be the ideal game board to just continually get more and more cash and cards.

When you get the XP, triggering hypothesis twice is amazing. It’s just draw for your partner, especially if you’re re-covering ground and can predict success, ready from the four XP ability, predict shroud three, ready from fine tuning, trigger it again on your second move. (safeguard also trigger it twice from the same move because it happens after the initial move triggered.)

Chemistry wasn’t a hit for me, even with steady hand it was hard to trigger. Depending on deck consistency and healing needs, medical student might be a better pick. There’s also an argument for getting the ally who gives you an additional tool hand slot, partner with Miskatonic archaeology.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 19, 2024

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

Same, I stopped browsing the MB Discord when the final player card preview came out so the only stuff I know about the campaign is what I remember from the FFG reveal article. I'm going to play it right away this time and I'm hoping it actually comes out this Friday in my country. The player box was delayed twice and is supposed to be coming out this Friday too, so hopefully this weekend I'll be able to sink my teeth into some AH.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My order from Boardlandia arrived today, but just the investigator expansion. I haven't sat down and built decks in a while, so I looked at a guide for ideas and built something close to this Kohaku deck and this Kate deck, though I'm probably playing Archaic Glyphs. It'll be a few days before my Team Covenant order gets here, then I'm going to crack into the campaign.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
New FAQ and errata out. Not much has changed in the taboo list. Both versions of scavenging have been bumped up by two XP, though I kind of wish they had a way to actually increase the level. I feel the issue with scavenging is when non-survivors get access to it, and can reliably recur high end items. Pushing it to just one XP would limit non-survivor access while not impeding survivors that much.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

So I decided to check the pins on the Discord player card spoiler channel, and the lead designer posted this earlier today:

I want to believe he wouldn't be making any mention of upcoming content if it wasn't too far away, but then I remembered he dropped the first spoiler for Feast months before it was even announced. I'd be surprised if there wasn't something in the pipeline other than the next full expansion, but with how FFG is these days who can say.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Could be a parallel with survivor level 2 access maybe but yeah with how they showed us "I'll pay you back", that rogue card in Hemlock is called in April or whatever, he certainly could just be hinting at the next actual investigator expansion straight up. I guess there's the possibility they do a new set of starter packs or some other weird thing like an investigator coming with a standalone, that'd be pretty rad.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Scavenging XP cost is just a tax to pay before you get to do the broken thing that gets more and more broken every expansion. Weak "solution" imo.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

Scavenging XP cost is just a tax to pay before you get to do the broken thing that gets more and more broken every expansion. Weak "solution" imo.

There should be three formats I think.

1. No taboo, for people who don't know what the taboo list is or want to do broken stuff

2. Current taboo philosophy, where problems are kicked down the road a scenario or two's worth of XP

3. Forbidden Mode, where all the cards that can't be fixed with a simple XP cost increase are on the forbidden list. Scavenging, Cyclopean Hammer, etc.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
Having another think, they could taboo Scavenging in the same manner as Sleight of Hand; by limiting it to items of level 0-3. Survivors will barely notice since the vast majority of their items fall within that band, but it limits other classes from recurring Necronomicons and the like.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Ubik_Lives posted:

Having another think, they could taboo Scavenging in the same manner as Sleight of Hand; by limiting it to items of level 0-3. Survivors will barely notice since the vast majority of their items fall within that band, but it limits other classes from recurring Necronomicons and the like.

That or make it target survivor only, like Resourceful does.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It’s still a great infinite combo with the key ring, which also got the XP boost.

I found the hunting jacket was great in Patrice; except in some campaigns, it’s hard to take damage on command. The million IQ play though, is using it with Bob or teamwork. Or triggering it with her weakness.
With cornered(2x), the violin, and smoking jacket/Katja, you can use last chance for the full +5. Your teammates will appreciate it!

There is a viable Support Patrice who cycles that, lucky(3), Promise of power, Stunning blow etc, like a version of Carson who’s less vulnerable to the encounter deck. And almost all the dilemmas work great with her, too.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

These suggestions just delay the point where Scavenging is obviously completely broken again. As more cards get added to the game, the effect of Scavenging (unlimited recursion) is going to break the game. That's just inevitable. It's a loving known quantity of card games.

Even in just Survivor cards lvl 0-3 you can do broken as gently caress poo poo by cycling back Old Keyring forever and Matchbox is going to add to that. Every Survivor Item they print it's just going to get worse from there.

The only solution is putting a limited number of uses on Scavenging itself, and then it probably needs to auto-remove itself from game once it runs out of uses, and the uses need to be some unique poo poo you can't replenish. And they need to never print anything that replenishes it.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Anything with uses can be replenished by that one Mystic skill they released with TSK.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
I feel like limiting Scavenging just pushes it more towards non-Survivors. For Survivors it is limited. It’s once per round, in a limited time game, on a test they typically aren’t good at, and if they pass it brings back at best mid-tier items. It’s part of their design where their stuff is cheap, power capped and constantly breaking, but having some recursion lets them pull out what they need to keep them running. It’s a design philosophy that has always existed for Survivors, and in my opinion, if new items creep outside of that range, then they should be tabooed, not Scavenging.

To me, Survivor recursion is their class answer to how to maintain their power level in a mission. Guardians and Mystics have reloads or non-use limited options, Seekers have mass card draws to find replacements or secret manipulation, and Rogues have targeted draw and easy cash. All classes have access to top tier bullshit when they get some xp into them, and I don’t feel that recursion in the Survivor class is outpacing the other classes.

I guess maybe I do prefer the option to limit it to Survivor only. I thought of that when I made the level cap suggestion, but I have fond memories of taking Bob Jenkins through Edge of the Earth and being able to use Scavenging on the campaign supplies (edit: and I forgot that my suggestion wouldn’t work with them anyway, because they would have no level).

Ubik_Lives fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 22, 2024

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I agree that making it three XP gets rid of the biggest exploit, which is infinity Minh decks.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

Anything with uses can be replenished by that one Mystic skill they released with TSK.

Put text on the Scavenging card: "these uses can never be replenished in any way, gently caress you".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

A small initial XP cost increase doesn't mean poo poo with In the Thick of It, does it?

They should add a trigger to Exile Scavenging.