Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

thalweg posted:

Did warbonds stop being able to unlock things for anyone else? I got the sg and grenade and now i click something and nothing happens even though i have enough

*taps on sign that says the servers have been on fire for 3 consecutive days*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Love this game but I’m starting to wonder if they’re going to figure this out before its “window” has passed.

Starting to seem like some of the fundamental decisions they made about how the back-end works just don’t scale well, and…I dunno I get that they weren’t expecting it to blow up but I feel like if you don’t build things with an eye toward the possibility it MIGHT, then you’re setting yourself up for the kind of own goal we’re observing now.

And I mean the game didn’t just emerge from the ether, Sony has been hyping it for like the last three showcases and it’s one of their few exclusives this year

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
RIP to the actual starship troopers game. All licensing no fun :freep:

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

the fact that they had like 3x more concurrent players than their most optimistic estimate and I was still able to play just fine the whole weekend actually speaks really well of their scaling, imo

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

hey mom its 420 posted:

the fact that they had like 3x more concurrent players than their most optimistic estimate and I was still able to play just fine the whole weekend actually speaks really well of their scaling, imo

I on the other hand haven't been able to play at all since Friday afternoon. Servers are either full, giving errors when trying to log in, or matchmaking and lobbies are completely busted every time I attempt to play. To be fair I stopped trying very hard after Saturday night but might give it another go today! 🤞

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If it still has matchmaking and login issues on the next weekend, then I think it's fair to complain, those devs got to sleep eventually and it sounded like they are still full go-ahead on post release content.

It probably doesn't help that the player count has been steadily increasing despite the login issues.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The starting gun kinda sucks, which one do I shoot for first?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

Breaker auto shotgun is the be-all-end-all of guns right now, every other shotgun is still pretty good, the single shot snipers aren't bad either from what I tried, everything else takes awhile to unlock though through the pass.

I didn't find the default gun that bad though, you might try the SMG as a upgrade to the assault rifle that also has the benefit of being one handed so you can run ballistic shield or fire from behind.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 18, 2024

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
While the matchmaking doesn't work I'm just treating this like a MGSV expansion. Can't throw empty mags but got the next best thing.

https://i.imgur.com/TdlHuG4.mp4

Fun game can't wait to play with people again.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

CainFortea posted:

The final eagle upgrade gives you 1 more use of each eagle munition per load, including the 500kg.

this is absolutely the first upgrade I'm gonna get once I save the samples for it

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

SplitSoul posted:

The marksman rifle is semi auto and unlocks on page 2 iirc. It's a good workhorse AR that can take most stuff out with 2-3 body shots or 1-2 weakspot hits. If you combine it with a spray-and-pray secondary or a support good for hordes you've got a balanced kit. I was less impressed by the breaker than others in this thread.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

this is absolutely the first upgrade I'm gonna get once I save the samples for it

You need to buy upgrades in order, so you'll need to at least buy the other Eagle upgrades first.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Coolness Averted posted:

You need to buy upgrades in order, so you'll need to at least buy the other Eagle upgrades first.

yep of course, the first upgrade I'm gonna buy once I finally get super samples I meant

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The 3 eagle upgrades were the first thing I maxed since they are the only upgrades with a real noticeable effect, where as others are stuff like "10% backpack cooldown", it helps that all the eagle abilities are strong, come out quickly and recharge fast.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Coolness Averted posted:

The marksman rifle is semi auto and unlocks on page 2 iirc. It's a good workhorse AR that can take most stuff out with 2-3 body shots or 1-2 weakspot hits. If you combine it with a spray-and-pray secondary or a support good for hordes you've got a balanced kit. I was less impressed by the breaker than others in this thread.

I absolutely love the marksman rifle. Its so good at popping robit heads. The auto shotty is really good too, but I don't like giving up the range and precision of the rifle.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I usually like to go for marksman rifle and stalwart. then add one eagle strike and one precision strike and then the last strategem depends on the mission, usually something that can take out armor

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

+50% to sentry ammo seems really good, since the mortar sentry is an absolute workhorse. That’s what I’m getting next; I just bought the eagle +1 upgrade first of course.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Bandire posted:

I absolutely love the marksman rifle. Its so good at popping robit heads. The auto shotty is really good too, but I don't like giving up the range and precision of the rifle.

Yeah I don't think the breaker is bad I just really love the marksman's versatility and ability to take stuff out at a range. The biggest weakness it has is the rof and mag size when you're getting swarmed by bugs, but I'm almost always in light armor so can usually avoid that.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Baggot posted:

+50% to sentry ammo seems really good, since the mortar sentry is an absolute workhorse. That’s what I’m getting next; I just bought the eagle +1 upgrade first of course.

That is also next on my list, sentry upgrades.

Need so much of the green samples, but as the playerbase gets better they die less and don't scatter the samples across the entire map.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

don't samples get shared by everyone in the squar?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If they die they get left at the corpse, so someone needs to extract holding them, the newbies aren't so good at that yet.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The sample grind is probably my biggest peeve with the actual design of the game. You need so many for a single upgrade, you're generally only going to get a handful per mission unless you're scouring every POI (which is boring), and it can be real difficult to actually get them all the way to extraction. But the actual upgrades aren't that big of a deal and it gives me something to keep working towards long-term so whatever I guess.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It also has the benefit of there being a finite amount you'll need until they start releasing new stuff, it isn't like darktide where you need to gamble thousands just to potentially end up with the wrong thing in the end.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Baggot posted:

Really good at killing everyone, that is.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I wish the map/radar was just a little better at helping you find your poo poo after you die. It's such a setback to be set up and lose your gear, and then on top of it your idiot teammate throws a respawn right on top of a bile titan and you die instantly.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

The real grind is medals. I'm going to be able to buy all the stratagems probably in the next week or so, and should be able to get all the ship modules eventually once I focus on obtaining super samples with my crew.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Really good at killing everyone, that is.

Don't stand near the enemies, duh.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

hey mom its 420 posted:

don't samples get shared by everyone in the squar?

If you get them out and extracted off the map yes. But every time someone holding a sample dies, you lose some.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

VanillaGorilla posted:

Love this game but I’m starting to wonder if they’re going to figure this out before its “window” has passed.

Starting to seem like some of the fundamental decisions they made about how the back-end works just don’t scale well, and…I dunno I get that they weren’t expecting it to blow up but I feel like if you don’t build things with an eye toward the possibility it MIGHT, then you’re setting yourself up for the kind of own goal we’re observing now.

And I mean the game didn’t just emerge from the ether, Sony has been hyping it for like the last three showcases and it’s one of their few exclusives this year

lol buddy even giants like blizzard can't get this poo poo right let alone a smaller studio seeing 150% of their projected traffic, game will be fine

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ijyt posted:

lol buddy even giants like blizzard can't get this poo poo right let alone a smaller studio seeing 150% of their projected traffic, game will be fine

I think it's like 400% of their projected traffic

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Helldivers 2 - Divers! In the hellpod

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

It's really not smart to be wildly optimistic and overestimate how much server space you'll need, because if you're wrong it can eat all your sales profits and more.

This comes down to server capacity just being plain expensive. If you could "buy it in bulk" and maybe save money on getting more than you might need, many studios would jump on it. Not how it works though.

So this really isn't any one game studio, big or small. It's just cost-benefit analysis. More profit stems from asking for consumer forgiveness and patience then betting on overly optimistic sales figures in order to absolutely guarantee a smooth launch. In other words, it's always going to be this way. Surprise success will always = servers go down, at least at first.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

jokes posted:

I think it's like 400% of their projected traffic

Projected, lifetime traffic even.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

literally the game could not be any clearer that you are the disposable cannon fodder

Well, it's a little weird because as disposable cannon fodder, you're given access to so much ordinance and initiative. Like, you'd think there would be some non-Helldiver troops that don't get orbital artillery synced to their command, just dudes with a helmet and a rifle that go off in groups much larger than 4, with a proper command structure and officers in the field telling them what to do.

ijyt posted:

I don't blame Arrowhead for the server troubles but it always pisses me off with Blizzard, who have literally the most experience of any developer in the world with server spikes and online services, and probably do actually have a basement full of decommissioned WoW servers that could be temporarily kludged into handling the overload on the login server or something basic like that.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

The issues are not just server capacity - in fact they said they have artificially lowered their max capacity to 450k from whatever it was, because the actual bottleneck is their databases that have to sync the entire galaxy war state and every single player's statistics. It's why they disabled the global stats you see on the ship like number of Helldivers active/bullets fired/etc. Just cutting as much overhead as they possibly can to give the databases room to breathe

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

Typical Pubbie posted:

It's annoying because it's randomized. There's no trick to it. If you enter a code and get the wrong stratagem you have to put your pokeball away and redial the code until you get what you want. It would be better if, for example, the orbital strike and autocannon were permanently swapped for the duration of the mission and you had to remember which is which.

A few (dozen) pages back, but I'm finding it hilarious that the bots would dedicate resources to SUPER_CONNTRACK_BUCKETS on their comms swapping interference

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

While the matchmaking doesn't work I'm just treating this like a MGSV expansion. Can't throw empty mags but got the next best thing.

https://i.imgur.com/TdlHuG4.mp4

Fun game can't wait to play with people again.

I see that flare went up so I have an idea what happened after this clip.

:blastu: :psylon:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Typical Pubbie posted:

It's annoying because it's randomized. There's no trick to it. If you enter a code and get the wrong stratagem you have to put your pokeball away and redial the code until you get what you want. It would be better if, for example, the orbital strike and autocannon were permanently swapped for the duration of the mission and you had to remember which is which.

On my first reading I thought it would scramble the inputs of each strategem to mess with your muscle memory

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

you guys have muscle memory?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

johnny park posted:

The issues are not just server capacity - in fact they said they have artificially lowered their max capacity to 450k from whatever it was, because the actual bottleneck is their databases that have to sync the entire galaxy war state and every single player's statistics. It's why they disabled the global stats you see on the ship like number of Helldivers active/bullets fired/etc. Just cutting as much overhead as they possibly can to give the databases room to breathe

I appreciate their efforts to make the map seem alive like that but also you could tell me that they just assign a random number to each planet and it would be functionally the same in terms of player experience. It's not like it's Foxhole where it really matters what is going on where. Still, it's a neat idea, it just sucks that it means I *still* can't play the game effectively.

Talking about primary weapons, I unlocked the laser rifle the other day and it kind of kicks rear end in a way that seems flatly better than most other midrange weapons, especially for robots. The DPS is slightly lower and there's a slight delay in spin-up to fire but it makes hitting weakpoints extremely easy and the ammo is huge. I had thought it would be limited by cooldowns but with six heatsinks you can just hot swap out with it seems like a very good weapon.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

How'd you get 1k credits? Feels like I get ten at a time when they show up in mission. Have a few hundred from the pass I spent on cool armor though

Yeah, mission drops are 10 each. I was running easy missions for a bit yesterday and getting a few each mission. Not super fast, but fast-ish and definitely easy. Speaking of, I got the stamina booster yesterday and it makes a big difference!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I picked a bad weekend to try to start this game.