Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I was reading an article a few days ago where the NYPD in all but explicit words said they don't give a poo poo about personal property theft. Even if you have all the evidence of who did it and where your stuff is they don't follow up. I assume PDs in every major city is the same.

It was in an article about the awfulness of being a bike delivery worker in NY and had a few examples of workers having to band together to confront thieves and recover stolen bikes because cops won't do poo poo.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

I was reading an article a few days ago where the NYPD in all but explicit words said they don't give a poo poo about personal property theft. Even if you have all the evidence of who did it and where your stuff is they don't follow up. I assume PDs in every major city is the same.

It was in an article about the awfulness of being a bike delivery worker in NY and had a few examples of workers having to band together to confront thieves and recover stolen bikes because cops won't do poo poo.

https://tenor.com/view/sega-fists-police-trust-gif-7797744

Very much the case in Philly too.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Wow that got my blood pumping too. I live in a big apartment building overlooking a popular bar and from my porch I saw an entitled instagram influencer looking clown grab someone's bike and get on it for some pictures. I knew this guy, you did not want to touch his bike, especially if you're a string bean doing it for social media.

Dude came out and threatened to kick the living poo poo out of him and it really was something cathartic to see.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Verman posted:

100% if they got caught, they would have used the excuse they thought it was their, or their friends' stolen bike and they were trying to recover it.
They told the gal down the alley that they "...thought it was the one for sale, it's not for sale?", and that's why they were hovering over her bike for several minutes.

ought ten posted:

gently caress those assholes, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the care he took putting down the kickstand. He even put his hand out when he thought it might not be stable.
Yeah that was surprising. Though maybe he just didn't want to damage it so he could come back and try to steal it again later.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I figured he didn't want anyone to hear a giant crash while he was still on the scene. Or maybe he really respects bikes

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

An eccentric collector.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Holy poo poo that video, thanks for posting, always fascinating to see how it actually happens, glad you were able to stop it.

Cops have no obligation to protect you or anything of yours, a truth it took me way too long to learn. Had a catalytic converter stolen off my pickup ages ago in another lifetime, I had no illusions of ever recovering it but called the local police to report it after I got it replaced because I thought it was the "right thing" to do. The loving pig on the other end acted annoyed that I even called the whole time, hopefully by now he's dead from covid or having a heart attack after thinking he touched fentanyl

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
a few years ago i got my bicycle stolen out of my apartment's front hall

called the cops to report it, not expecting anything to happen, but to get the serial number on record and a police report for insurance

they said that because the thief came past the gate to steal it, it counted as a burglary, and so they had to send out some officers to look at the scene of the crime. cool fine

they showed up, looked around for a few minutes, asked me if i knew who had stolen it (???), said they'd ask my neighbors if any of them had cameras, and immediately drove away.

another day of serving and protecting the citizenry complete. never heard anything again

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
gently caress cops

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rolo posted:

gently caress cops

Must I?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I had a couple of bikes stolen from my back yard. I filed a police report online to get a case file number (this eventually took like 8 months for them to “close” or whatever it’s called). The police report was mostly so that I could make a home insurance claim. Because the total amount claimed in loss is less than 5k, my insurance company instantly deposited the ~3k into my account.

I’m pretty sure the only humans involved in this whole process were the thieves and me.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 17, 2024

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I don’t know if everyone still follows Itchy Boots, but it sure makes me want a CRF300 Rally in spite of it all. I haven’t ridden dirt in 30 years, except all those times lately I’ve been taking my CB750 off road…

She’s made it from Morocco to Angola (about 3/4 of the way along the west of the continent), through some of the craziest mud I’ve seen, fragged her clutch basket, dumped it off a canoe into a river, now she’s limped into a well-equipped garage in Luanda and getting a full service. Every injector clogged with roadside bottle-gas, water in the tank, bottom end probably full of shrapnel, but now it’s running like a top again. They even polished her exhaust back up.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I watch every episode, the Central Africa trip she is taking to me is just crazy. A lot of these countries literally have no electricity, one had a ship docked off shore generating electricity for the city using a Diesel generator. There are gas shortages, military road blocks, crazy river crossings in small boats, the whole thing is just such a spectical to watch. And somehow when he bike won't start, or she gets stuck in mud, or has no where to sleep some nice person comes along and helps out. i really enjoy her, and also watching this little 300cc engine get through all this makes me want one as well, they seem so expensive though so I stopped looking for now.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ulf posted:

I don’t know if everyone still follows Itchy Boots, but it sure makes me want a CRF300 Rally in spite of it all. I haven’t ridden dirt in 30 years, except all those times lately I’ve been taking my CB750 off road…

She’s made it from Morocco to Angola (about 3/4 of the way along the west of the continent), through some of the craziest mud I’ve seen, fragged her clutch basket, dumped it off a canoe into a river, now she’s limped into a well-equipped garage in Luanda and getting a full service. Every injector clogged with roadside bottle-gas, water in the tank, bottom end probably full of shrapnel, but now it’s running like a top again. They even polished her exhaust back up.

While it’s a good endorsement for the CRF, she has the suspension sorted with some pretty nice stuff if I remember. So budget for that.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
The main complaint I’ve heard is definitely that you just need to assume you’ll need to drop a bunch of cash on suspension unless you weigh about 95 pounds.

I’m just a little behind because all the mud she’s fighting her way through gives me anxiety lol. She’s inspiring but is also way beyond the limits of what I am even remotely interested in doing.

What’s especially hilarious is seeing her struggle on this fantastic, very purposely upgraded machine while locals on little single cylinder garbage bikes bop along with 3 passengers.

Not an indictment of her skill at all. Just a testament to what you get used to when you have to live in a place and deal with it every day.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Geekboy posted:

She’s inspiring but is also way beyond the limits of what I am even remotely interested in doing.

Not just the viewer’s limits, she was way out of her comfort zone. She took a break from Africa to wait out the rainy season, but when she got back the locals were all “yeah, the rain should have long stopped by now… huh, weird”.

My favorite bit was when she’s talking to the truckers stuck in a pit for a month. “Why do more trucks keep coming and getting stuck?” “Well, we have a mindset here, that I’ll make it somehow :shrug:”. Good to know getthereitis is universal.

Anyway she’s past all the mud and back in desert and savannah.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I appreciate the spoilers because I’m catching up on the 4 or so episodes I hadn’t watched yet now that I know the last one has her somewhere less muddy having the bike fixed up.

I tend to watch a few episodes at a time and watching her struggle through all that red mud was getting to me.

Furious George
Oct 3, 2002

epswing posted:

Did he drop the bike and run? Or did he respectfully set down the kickstand before fleeing?

Sorry for all the questions, catching someone in the act is fascinating and rare. And I'm trying to determine which circle of hell this being should inhabit.

I had some kid try to take my MT09 off the driveway once, they did not respectfully set down the sidestand, probably because I was only about 15' away at the time, and closing in on them fast. They ran off down the street and jumped on the back of a moped with 2 people already on it :argh:

You will never not use at least a disc lock at all times you're not literally sitting on the bike after something like that happens to you.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Furious George posted:

I had some kid try to take my MT09 off the driveway once, they did not respectfully set down the sidestand, probably because I was only about 15' away at the time, and closing in on them fast. They ran off down the street and jumped on the back of a moped with 2 people already on it :argh:

You will never not use at least a disc lock at all times you're not literally sitting on the bike after something like that happens to you.

I’m on the other end of the spectrum, sometimes I forget the key in the ignition.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I've forgotten the key in the lock for my buddy seat more times than i'd like to admit.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Furious George posted:

Guessing you are UK? That theives on mopeds seems to be rife over there and just blows my mind at how bad it is. On your driveway no less.

Over here, throwing the bike in the tray of Ute or back of a van happens more. They just pull up, grab it and drive off. With immobilisers in everything now they must just strip it for parts.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Couple of things you can do

Strip for parts is relatively 'safe' and profitable but very time consuming and opens you to police investigation repeatedly

Selling as deregistered as a track bike is a quick buck but risky, only works on some models

Selling to a club, who usually don't give a gently caress about legality is a quick buck, I'd argue less risky but comes with its own perils, only works on some models

Sending the whole bike overseas to a less scrupulous country is a good middle ground but still risky wrt being investigated

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

According to Zach of revzilla, Ducati is pricing the new supermoto starting at 13k which I’m really surprised about. Of course you can bathe it in the parts catologue and make it over 20k but still.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Late to the party as always but I also once thwarted a motorcycle theft attempt. The 'gentleman' was not so kind as to put my kickstand down and I had to take a grand off of the selling price of the GSX-R because of the fairing damage.

I bought a used bike with an alarm because my last one (a rare 80s greybike) got stolen more than a decade ago. I guess I wasn't really as vigilant as I thought, because I must have forgotten the steering lock one day at work. I was checking in some customers at the arcade and felt my pocket vibrate - and it wasn't my phone. So I dropped everything and ran outside to hear the alarm wailing as this guy is briskly walking it down the street.

This was in the middle of the afternoon on a Sunday, btw. There were tons of people around including a patio full of people on the corner he turned where his buddies were waiting in a pickup. The tailgate wasn't even down. Anyway, I gave chase and I probably shouldn't have shouted out or I might have caught him, but he heard me and sped up. I was within five feet of him when he dumped the bike right on the curb and got away in the truck. It's probably better that I didn't catch him, because I would have beaten him within an inch of his life.

The cops showed up, and despite multiple witnesses and security cameras on the patio, and the fact that I gave them the truck make and license plate, they did nothing. Said something about running the plate and it coming back in a different town (so the gently caress what), and "well you got your bike back, so..."

gently caress bike thieves and gently caress cops.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I bet they'd give more of a poo poo if it was one of their police bikes that was stolen.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I don't bother calling cops unless absolutely required by insurance

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

I bet they'd give more of a poo poo if it was one of their police bikes that was stolen.

But what are we going to do with a police bike?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ought ten posted:

But what are we going to do with a police bike?

Slavvy posted:

Couple of things you can do

Strip for parts is relatively 'safe' and profitable but very time consuming and opens you to police investigation repeatedly

Selling as deregistered as a track bike is a quick buck but risky, only works on some models

Selling to a club, who usually don't give a gently caress about legality is a quick buck, I'd argue less risky but comes with its own perils, only works on some models

Sending the whole bike overseas to a less scrupulous country is a good middle ground but still risky wrt being investigated

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
There is some old rear end Kawasaki cop bike on the local Craigslist. Early 90's?
Guys been trying to sell for over a year now.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009
Cops here had FJR's before they switched to BMW's. They would be worth a fair bit

Meanwhile all I want is the cop vest/helmet Axon cam with the crazy long battery life and storage that we can't get peasant side.

Take that over the poo poo battery on a gopro

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Russian Bear posted:

According to Zach of revzilla, Ducati is pricing the new supermoto starting at 13k which I’m really surprised about. Of course you can bathe it in the parts catologue and make it over 20k but still.

That can't be right, I can't justify buying another bike

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
https://www.ducati.com/us/en/bikes/hypermotard/hypermotard-698-mono

$12,995

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Only 15% more expensive in Switzerland as well, they should fly off the shelves

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MCN posted a first ride review the other day on it. Looks fairly nuts. A revvy 700cc single? 70hp? Wheelies for days? Probably has a fuel tank the size of a coffee cup, but still. Sounds pretty badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjj1tFDTOqk

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
"Hello, HR?"-meme but with KTM and Ducati

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The only thing that remains to be seen is if it's more or less broken than the 690

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I have high hopes.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Russian Bear posted:

I have high hopes.

that's one of us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

It's really two sides of the same coin. The KTM will quit running, and the Ducati won't start.