Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fix posted:

Oh yeah, I'm at 9's all around. Is there some other triggering event like the samurai on the tram ride?

You just have to buy the Coconut Tasting and Resort Salon & Spa trips for $1600 apiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you have the DLC installed then even if they're not unlocked you should be able to see them in the Jobs screen of the menu, just silhouetted out. You might not have installed it.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Fix posted:

Oh yeah, I'm at 9's all around. Is there some other triggering event like the samurai on the tram ride?

Something's hosed then, you should have them on the list right from the start when you unlock jobs, even if you don't meet requirements yet.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Second part of the Hawaii dungeon is already probably more profitable than Dondoko. Individual fights often gave over $10,000.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Arist posted:

If you have the DLC installed then even if they're not unlocked you should be able to see them in the Jobs screen of the menu, just silhouetted out. You might not have installed it.

It was this. That took care of it, thanks very much!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The rare Yamai selfie

Honestly Yamai's whole club/aesthetic/life is sick, easily the breakout character of IW

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I hope going to prison for murder won't stop Yamai from becoming Ichiban's Majima.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

When has that stopped anyone in this series from doing anything

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The games yen value was last current in 2020. It’s plummeted 30% (!!!) since then and is now 100 yen to 67 cents

oh yeah, i meant the in-universe value being so much better than real life

Sapozhnik posted:

Ending:

Eiji disappears from the plot after the second raid on Yamai's hideout
Are Akane and Lani even on screen during the evacuation ride on the tug boat? To some uhh.. Japanese coastguard base in the middle of the ocean? wtf was that even about?
Akane and Lani show up as NPCs with some brief lines in the homeless tower in the final chapter
Both get entrusted to Daidouji in passing
Team Ichiban immediately gets yeeted back to Hawaii before the cutscene chain is over with only a brief locked-in walking around segment at the homeless camp
Neither Akane nor Lani shows up at any point in the ending despite, you know, Akane being Ichiban's long lost mother
Eiji suddenly shows up for the credit sequence with the poo poo seemingly having been kicked out of him and have a tearful forgiveness and atonement scene
Eiji and Ichiban walk down the street during the credit roll with passers-by hurling debris and abuse at both of them

Yeah Eiji was totally going to kill them both in some awful way and then it got edited out at the last minute

chitose does call him out on the tatara channel between his disappearance and the millenium tower, which i think explains why he's gotten his rear end kicked and is hiding from a mob when we see him again

that said i agree it felt like there was something cut after his disappearance, because even if his epilogue stuff made sense to me it didn't feel completely earned

stuker fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 18, 2024

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Chapter 9: lol. i thought he was gonna be tatara, not some twist long con lmao. Very good.

Chapter 10: went to the bar, i knew those two would be there BUT NOT THOSE OTHER TWO HEEEELL YEAAAAAAH. LOOSING MY poo poo RN

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Ending

The ending does at least make thematic sense in a way, because it book-ends the beginning of the game. Callout channels are explained as a way for people to vent their general social rage at pre-packaged "deserving" targets, with little thought given as to how deserving those targets actually are. Then Eiji ends up as one of those targets himself, and he in turn got started because he was raging at everybody in the general vicinity of the Yakuza family that screwed up his career.

On a slightly different topic though, I don't really get what this game's Millennium Tower raid was actually supposed to accomplish. The new Bleach Japan is an explicitly government-endorsed lawful organization, and neither Ebina's act of arson (against his own property, although that is still a crime) nor the fact that he stabbed that one guy to death and beat Sawashiro to within an inch of his life ended up coming to light as a result of said Millennium Tower raid. Kiryuu says "pls stop" and then collapses, Ebina could just as well respond "Nah." and nothing would be resolved. Maybe that would have been an interesting story, but as it stands the fight was the last gameplay event before the credits roll.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Wolfsheim posted:

Losing movie theater sleep demon score attack was a bigger loss than losing Dragon Kart imho

Seconded. When I went to the theater and saw it was closed, I would be lying if I said I wasn't hugely disappointed.

At least the REM Ram is my Dondoko Island avatar.

Also, got to the part in chapter 7 when Kiryu gets to Survive bar and meets the bartender. That exchange... RGG has gotten really good at doing very nuanced facial expressions, which made the scene absolutely perfect.

Shiftypenguin fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 19, 2024

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Finally got through real estate royale in yakuza 0 replay because of course I had to do it immediately as soon as you could instead of while doing the story.

Only took 6 days (in terms of me having time to play it)

Yakuza 0’s still my favorite but I’m realizing how much being unemployed the first time I played it counted in the games favor.

Got through 2/3rds of kiryus substories while doing it though!!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Chapter 12 side activity: I think I have finished the reminiscing subplot with Date. Beat up a Daidoji group.

I'm...unhappy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/haikaisenshi/status/1759327717819105618?s=20

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

yeah they reward you with a ticket for the kiwami gacha that guarantees them specifically. weird extra step but hey ho

Saves you the trouble of trying and failing to catch em all!

e: fuckin lol at this Shadow Legend raid, there is no corner of internet culture the game won't turn over for a well-earned laugh

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 19, 2024

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Finale I don't know what you expected to happen here when the people living on the secret island base you're intruding on told you to get in a shed, Ichiban Kasuga

you could have just given joongi a sandwich

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Finale I don't know what you expected to happen here when the people living on the secret island base you're intruding on told you to get in a shed, Ichiban Kasuga

you could have just given joongi a sandwich

I don't know what you expected to happen here when the cult warrior in the deepest depths of the secret island base you're intruding on told you the leader of his religion was just behind this door, Ichiban Kasuga

E: WHAT THE gently caress

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 19, 2024

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Waffleman_ posted:

E: WHAT THE gently caress

I don't know what you expected to happen here when you entered a large room full of water after the game has already revealed ocean kaiju, Waffle Man_

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Captain Walker posted:

I don't know what you expected to happen here when you entered a large room full of water after the game has already revealed ocean kaiju, Waffle Man_

I will add you to my Sujidex

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Rolled credits, liked the ending a lot. I don't think the Ebina thing is earned but I think thematically it doesn't matter, Kasuga is kind of like Yakuza Jesus and the entire game is about rehabilitation and being worthy of it. Many people aren't "worthy" of rehabilitation, but it's a better world in which you can imagine that it's still possible for everyone. I also liked the open-ended nature of Kiryu's ending and the revelation of his name was enough for me to feel satisfied, I didn't feel we needed a big teary reunion in that moment.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

life link 6 or 7?:Date blurting out that Kiryu is his best friend and then Kiryu afterwards in the bar asking him to not take it back...really nice. Kyodais rock indeed.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm finding that farming Mr Shakedown is much faster than doing the cabaret club. He's easy to get for Majima, but Kiryu has a hard time. Is there a fighting style that is easier with Kiryu for MrS?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm finding that farming Mr Shakedown is much faster than doing the cabaret club. He's easy to get for Majima, but Kiryu has a hard time. Is there a fighting style that is easier with Kiryu for MrS?

Zap Gun. Or just carry a knife.

Brawler's twist counter supposedly works well, but it's pretty far into the skill tree and requires skill and precise timing. Against Shakedown you literally can't afford to take a hit.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think I got the zap gun while trying to get the car battery. I'll try that.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm in vanilla LAD at I assume chapter 14's end boss, is there any strategy to this besides hoping he doesn't spam the gun or that he misses? Is the Musician buff enough to keep it from one-shotting people?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I thought eating all the side content by chapter 7 meant I'd be more streamlined for the rest of the game but I just realized what all unlocked in chapter 8 lol some day I'll go to bed

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So (Late Game Spoilers) what do you think the chances of Dwight coming back running a bar in the next foreign place we visit are.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I finished the game just now and hoo boy do I have thoughts. From a gameplay perspective, this was so polished and improved upon from LAD. The character writing was so good too that it made up for the story going off the rails for a bit here and there.

I want a I Love Saeko shirt

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

I'm in vanilla LAD at I assume chapter 14's end boss, is there any strategy to this besides hoping he doesn't spam the gun or that he misses? Is the Musician buff enough to keep it from one-shotting people?

in lad the key to most bosses is to inflict poison. for whatever reason poison is very easy to apply and lasts a very long time. no other status effect is particularly good. this is not the case in 8.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I've been really enjoying the combat in IW. To the point that I get excited to gently caress around and grind dungeons.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Thanks to the power of the fixed damage from items and pound mates, I now have the legendary sujimon for each piece of the elemental triangle. It is very funny that the game scolds you and prevents you from naming them something like poop, fart, or butt.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
It wouldn't let me name a Nicotine Lich "Big Smoke," what the hell?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

A good poster posted:

It wouldn't let me name a Nicotine Lich "Big Smoke," what the hell?

Fat shaming.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Holy cow that kiryu fight in chapter 14 of Yakuza 7. turns out he’s weak to ice, an element I’ve ignored completely until now. Only job changes I made were Adachi to enforcer and eri to idol. Used musician on Nanba til I got the health song

Mind, I’m level 43. I finished the arena without issue so figured the next chapter should be easy.

Now that I’m grinding out levels, now it feels like dragon quest

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Waltzing Along posted:

get zap gun or slime gun once and you can just load up on them at dragon and tiger for either character. Switch to rush mode so you can dodge easier. When he charges or does his windmill thing shoot him. Take you r time with it and don't get greedy. Once he gets to a billion literally one hit will end you.

Kamurocho is also bigger than Sotenbori. So do the miracle substories and pick the big black box for the second one. You'll get an accessory which will show you where he is at all times

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Finale I like how even the cult warriors on the secret cult island still use the generic "Hey rear end in a top hat" cries when they see you

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Waltzing Along posted:

IF you finished Business Management you get a reward that beats him for free forever. Reward spoilers
Dragon Style: the counter throw move (RB + B / R1 + Circle) beats every single one of his attacks clean, just wait until he winds up then flip him.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Finale I like how even the cult warriors on the secret cult island still use the generic "Hey rear end in a top hat" cries when they see you

My favourite cry will always be “I’ll sue you!” starting the battle right after the cutscene where Roman gets disemboweled in the counterfeit factory .

Wanna see that lawsuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Tiger Drop negates all damage