Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

FoxTrot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bok needs to marry Bones so he can be Bok Malock

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

Bok needs to marry Bones so he can be Bok Malock

Later on, when they tell the story of how they met at the combat arena, we can have a Flask/Bok flashback.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 18, 2024

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

I'm willing to bet that's more K tiles and slices of pie than a standard Scrabble set.

Pluggers

Pluggers are trapped in loveless marriages.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 11/8/59

Nah bro just one more lane bro!

THORN, February 23-28, 1984

Note 13:

quote:

Reagan
Refers to Ronald Reagan, President of the United States 1981-1989.
No poo poo? Huh. I should look this obscure president up?
Note 14:

quote:

Ollie O'Banion
The character next to our cartoonist would have been immediately recognized by The Lantern's readers as Ollie, the cynical student observer and protagonist of the comic strip 50% More Absorbent Comix, the wickedly smart and funny comic strip by Steve Spencer that ran with Thorn. For the next 14 days, Smith and Spencer wrote and drew the two comic strips together so that the strips blended into one.
The next bunch of posts will be combo Thorn and 50% More Absorbent Comix!

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 18, 2024

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

.html isn't a valid top-level domain, so obviously, the link won't work. Also, $20 seems too low. to help someone in hard times. Slylock should offer to send a couple thousand dollars worth apple gift cards to the email address or transfer a similar amount of cash through Western Union.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(1/28/1994)

(1/29/1994)

Ziggy

(9/8/1971)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Wandering Culinarian

And that's it for the first story of The Wandering Culinarian. I'm unsure whether to continue with this, as the response has seemed kind of tepid. But then again, I don't have any alternate idea that wouldn't require research that's very difficult to do when I'm not physically in Korea*, for comics that are less likely to be newspaper comics. The next story is way shorter, for what it's worth, although glancing over it I'm surprised it still doesn't feature any recurring characters aside from Haddish.

*A big part of my motivation for my asking about that Patreon idea. Which seems like it might work better as a Kickstarter idea at first, if at all, but yeah, my conversations irl on this haven't been very encouraging.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

sex gifs.

Honestly You Could Probably Still Get There By Opening An Online Store And Selling Them, It's Not The Worst Business Model, The Profit Margin Would Be Unreal.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Some Guy TT posted:

And that's it for the first story of The Wandering Culinarian. I'm unsure whether to continue with this, as the response has seemed kind of tepid. But then again, I don't have any alternate idea that wouldn't require research that's very difficult to do when I'm not physically in Korea*, for comics that are less likely to be newspaper comics. The next story is way shorter, for what it's worth, although glancing over it I'm surprised it still doesn't feature any recurring characters aside from Haddish.

*A big part of my motivation for my asking about that Patreon idea. Which seems like it might work better as a Kickstarter idea at first, if at all, but yeah, my conversations irl on this haven't been very encouraging.
I've really been enjoying this, for what it's worth! I just haven't said much.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

PetraCore posted:

I've really been enjoying this, for what it's worth! I just haven't said much.
Same.

I like the detail of Bones and Flash getting different things out of Bok's expression at the end of the fight.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Haifisch posted:

I like the detail of Bones and Flash getting different things out of Bok's expression at the end of the fight.

I noticed that too. It helps sell the different voices.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Medenmath posted:

So it looks like the whole bit with Taloon back in 2017 ran from April 23 to October 22. There's a lot so I'm linking them rather than using thumbnails:

Apr 23
Apr 30
May 7
May 14
May 21
May 28
Jun 4
Jun 11
Jun 18
Jun 25
Jul 2
Jul 9
Jul 16
Jul 23
Jul 30
Aug 6
Aug 13
Aug 20
Aug 27
Sep 3
Sep 10
Sep 17
Sep 24
Oct 1
Oct 8
Oct 13
Oct 22

Or here's the Imgur album, if you have a better idea than I of how to make Imgur show you files in the order you want:

http://imgur.com/a/9r4A9gX

I finally got around to checking these out. Looks like Schultz or maybe Yeates read the old story and had the exact reaction we did and decided to give Taloon a better ending. Thank you for taking the time to pull these together and post them.

Some Guy TT posted:

And that's it for the first story of The Wandering Culinarian. I'm unsure whether to continue with this, as the response has seemed kind of tepid.

Hey, it's no Demons of Baseball, but that one was an unusual beast. I'm interested enough in this one to keep reading it if you keep posting it.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I’m going to be so sad if Bok and Flash don’t do a classic action movie handclasp once they sort their differences out.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Some Guy TT posted:

And that's it for the first story of The Wandering Culinarian. I'm unsure whether to continue with this, as the response has seemed kind of tepid.

I like it. I do want to see what happens when he catches up to his parents and the rural antics and dialects are entertaining. Maybe the response seems less electric because Demons of Baseball was going bananas on audience response from the start of the second half? A new story needs time to get going.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Green Intern posted:

I’m going to be so sad if Bok and Flash don’t do a classic action movie handclasp once they sort their differences out.

Will every time someone remembers that happening later be called... a flashbok? :dadjoke:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

lol @ panel 4 Alice

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Hippocrass posted:

Gasoline Alley(September 29, 30, 1919)

I'm trying to keep my comics posted on the same day of the week they were originally published and somehow got a bit desyched with Gasoline Ally. You guys would probably not even notice, but it annoys me and messes with my system so today and tomorrow I'll be posting two strip so I synch up.

I just wanted to let you know that I did notice (only saw the second day and not the first) and I also sympathize, as someone who is struggling to get my own system back ontrack which among other things has led to me falling quite far behind on the thread. I only check newer posts long enough to see if I need to make corrections. Speaking of which-

Doomykins posted:

I like it. I do want to see what happens when he catches up to his parents and the rural antics and dialects are entertaining. Maybe the response seems less electric because Demons of Baseball was going bananas on audience response from the start of the second half? A new story needs time to get going.

James isn't actually the main character of the comic, Haddish is. We do eventually find out what happened to James, but years later as a setup to a completely different story. That threw me off the first time I read it too, since he's certainly presented as such. The Wandering Culinarian is less about plot so much as it is building stories around arcane Korean food trivia. There was, unsurprisingly, more of a market for this in aughts-era South Korean newspapers than most other times and places, although this isn't the kind of statement that I can really explain without writing a really long essay on the topic.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Oh! Not sure how I feel about that as James grew on me more, hah. Ah well. I can still give Haddish a chance.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

You can eat scorpions, Mark.

Mary Worth

I still think he's going to find out she is his biological daughter after all, however, he should still tell them about the test. Knowing this guy thought he won't.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Hwurmp posted:

dude don't let her hear you say that, she'll kill you and bury your corpse under the Bum Boat

Do you really think Aldo Kelrast's brakes just happened to fail?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Isn't "The Count" a former pro wrestler? He's probably pretty good at assessing what kind of damage he may have taken. And could also be lying there with his foot turned 180 degrees and would still claim that it's nothing and he'll walk it off dammit.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Some Guy TT posted:

There was, unsurprisingly, more of a market for this in aughts-era South Korean newspapers than most other times and places, although this isn't the kind of statement that I can really explain without writing a really long essay on the topic.
As with Demons, I'd absolutely read this essay if you find time to write it. I'm liking the Culinarian a bunch too FWIW.

We Are Reproducing
timg for boob

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

JethroMcB posted:

Cul de Sac

lol @ panel 4 Alice
Cul De Sac dad is pretty cool. He heard Alice going around singing that and knew exactly what happened.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Some Guy TT posted:

The Wandering Culinarian

I've also really been enjoying The Wandering Culinarian, and I say that as someone who really couldn't get into Demons of Baseball.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(November 10, 1918)

Gasoline Alley(October 12)

Little Nemo(April 5, 1908)

So, just a few things. As you can see, The Rectangle is back, and will be Gasoline Alley's Sunday strip until the full color strip begins in October 1920. For the daily strips, Krazy Kat dailies will run for another two weeks or so, until the end of December 1913. I could only find three strips published throughout all of 1914, and I really don't find it published consistently again until around 1916, in a paper that was not preserved very well. It seemes to have been photocopied poorly. I'll decide what/if I'll replace it with.

Finally, Us boys will be more consistently published starting in late February 1912, in what seems to be the earliest Comics page I've come across. In fact, the strip is a constant of the comic page across the Hearst papers at least until 1928. I've been able to find out a bit more about Tom McNamara, he was involved in 'New Fun', the very first comic book containing original material, and would be involved in comic books until the forties. He was also a title and screenplay writer for several films throughout the twenties and early thirties, as well as director for several of the 'Our Gang'(Little Rascals) films.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’ve been loving all the weirdo Korean comics over the years.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Some Guy TT posted:

James isn't actually the main character of the comic, Haddish is. We do eventually find out what happened to James, but years later as a setup to a completely different story. That threw me off the first time I read it too, since he's certainly presented as such. The Wandering Culinarian is less about plot so much as it is building stories around arcane Korean food trivia. There was, unsurprisingly, more of a market for this in aughts-era South Korean newspapers than most other times and places, although this isn't the kind of statement that I can really explain without writing a really long essay on the topic.
I figured, given the name of the comic. I'm think the idea of a dude with a bunch of hyperspecific obscure knowledge on Korean food wandering around using this to solve problems is a great concept, so maybe I'm the target demographic for this, lmao.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CannonFodder posted:

Cul De Sac dad is pretty cool. He heard Alice going around singing that and knew exactly what happened.

The Otterloops are firmly in the good part of the family dynamics range among comic strips.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Challenge: everybody pick a comic that you're glad is being posted even though it doesn't get mentioned much! (We ALL have some low-key favorites.)

I'll go with Stephen Collins. Not being a :britain:, I sometimes don't know the exact events or people that the strip is referring to, but I get it often enough to know that I really like his style of humor.

Selachian posted:

Stephen Collins

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I love Stephen Collins, even if I have to do a bit of the occasional UK current-vents/holidays search for context.

Usually not, though, That last one on pancakes was a hoot.

And please keep posting The Wandering Culinarian. Like the Demons of Baseball, not all of it grabs me all the time, but the art and the capture of local color is fascinating to watch unfold.

I enjoy We Are Reproducing as well. Best-depicted baby in comics, hands-down - the overall art style is spare but by no means lacking, and I find the absence of prudery extremely refreshing (I remember seeing bare asses in Newsweek back in the 70s; it was NBD then, and the current social climate sometimes makes me wonder if we'll ever get used to the human form being depicted as it is without histrionics. Until then: timg'ing & putting stuff behind spoiler tags. Just long for a time when we don't feel like we have to. /end rant

I enjoy seeing Rose Is Rose. Usually gives me a smile.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Powered Descent posted:

Challenge: everybody pick a comic that you're glad is being posted even though it doesn't get mentioned much! (We ALL have some low-key favorites.)

I'll go with Stephen Collins. Not being a :britain:, I sometimes don't know the exact events or people that the strip is referring to, but I get it often enough to know that I really like his style of humor.

That's a good shout. Scary Gary, Hagar, F Minus, Get Fuzzy, Pooch Cafe, Foxtrot I think are ones that I've been enjoying but haven't commented on much. I've appreciated lots of the old comics, but I don't think I've said much about Everyday Movies, which has been pretty delightful.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Conan: The Blood Egg Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Conan! Who is this musclebound Cimmerian warrior? And more importantly, why is the nation’s favourite doing a Conan story? The answer: because he had to. It is possible that he could not face drawing any more cars, domestic interiors, or city streets. But also, he had come up with the idea for this story at a comic convention in early 2022, known it to be good, and it had finally burned a hole in his sketchbook. O alas!

Rest assured, if you are not au fait with Conan, you are about as familiar with him as I was before I started writing this. I didn’t read any of the Marvel Comics – I’ve never read a Conan comic – and the short stories don’t feature any consistent characters. Even Conan himself seems to leap backwards and forwards through his life in the volume I read them in. I suspect that you will begin to find recognisable things in this story… very quickly. Just not cars, city streets, domestic interiors etc etc etc

The whole first part is available on Patreon to $3-and-up subscribers now!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Conan's gonna drive a car

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

I really like Dark Side of the Horse, and I hope Samson never runs out of elevator gags. And of the older comics, I'm having a lot of fun with Polly and Her Pals, and Gasoline Alley is surprisingly good since I'm only familiar with the dreary modern incarnation of the strip.

Pogo 5/19-21/52

Archie 8/8-10/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 2/10-12/77

Stan the Man has been kinda stalling this week, hasn't he?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

100% comics first Ace.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The_Other posted:

Conan: The Blood Egg Part 1

As I said before, I'm looking forward to this. Shocking, I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I think we comment on Archie quite a bit but oh man is it good, I am always happy to see it.

I also have developed some real love for Tinkersons and I hope we see more of Mr. Boomer loving with Tillman forever.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

fuckin' Cliff.

Heart of the City

Curtis