Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

George Sex - REAL posted:

We should be due for an expansion, right?

moot the hopple posted:

I'd like to see an expansion that gives more win conditions.

we had Royalty, Ideology, and Mbiotech already... this could be what the "w" stands for...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

hell yeah, I love ribworld

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Its wierd to me that with xenotypes added theres not a system (without modding) to create a Faction of the xenotypes you created or to include them in current existing Faction.

They added pigmen and Neanderthal tribes but if i make a custom xenotype the only people of that xeno type on the whole planet are whoever you spawned with.

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 17, 2024

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

George Sex - REAL posted:

We should be due for an expansion, right?

For what it's worth, in the bug and QA discord they've started saying that they've fixed bugs in the "Next major release" rather than the next quarterly hotfix, so I'd wager we'll see a new expansion in March.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

we had Royalty, Ideology, and Mbiotech already... this could be what the "w" stands for...

The w will stand for Geology

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

ZeeCee posted:

For what it's worth, in the bug and QA discord they've started saying that they've fixed bugs in the "Next major release" rather than the next quarterly hotfix, so I'd wager we'll see a new expansion in March.

I really hope so. I've not played much of the last update expansion but I'm on my kind of biannual rimworld kick again, hoping the new ones announced before I've hit another 200 hours in the game..

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

QuarkJets posted:

The w will stand for Geology

Honestly Z levels would be a pretty amazing addition

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I'd like to think that after 10 years, Tynans doing some work on a sequel, ideally a new engine with z levels would be amazing. I don't think it's really something that can be added that well to the current game but I could be wrong.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
We don't even need like Dwarf Fortress type Z levels, just like 5ish levels would add so, so much. Underground/Basement/Ground Level/Upper Level/Roof

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
z levels would completely break the game and the balance of basically everything in it. i think you'd get terrain modification before you'd get z levels just because nothing in the game at all is designed with eventual z levels in mind

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Just let me dig down 1 level so I can throw all my junk down there and I don't need to dedicate half my colony's footprint to storage space

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

moot the hopple posted:

I'd like to see an expansion that gives more win conditions. The devs should just accept that some players don't actually want to leave the planet or become one with the archo-singularity and provide avenues to explore long-term settlement. Maybe allow for a diplomatic victory, or world-wide conquest, or even turning this outback planet into a new glitterworld through tech.
They were adding win conditions. Royalty added the Royalty ending, which was a nice tweak on the ship launch ending. And then Ideology added the Archonexus, an attempt at a new game plus kind of deal for people who wanted to keep building. But it was bad. Really fundamentally bad and horrible to play. And so Biotech came out and they didn't bother to make a new win condition, presumably with the understanding that it's not that easy to make a good one.

Cool Dad posted:

Honestly Z levels would be a pretty amazing addition
No! Bad suggestion!

The whole god drat premise of Rimworld was that Z levels broke Dwarf Fortress as a game with any semblance of balance and progression, so let's go back to that interesting game it used to be and work on the game aspect more. (No hate on Dwarf Fortress- it's an amazing sandbox/world-sim, but it's not the game it used to be.)

Z levels are really tempting, of course, but even if they were technically feasible (which is also unlikely) they would utterly ruin the game.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Eiba posted:

And then Ideology added the Archonexus, an attempt at a new game plus kind of deal for people who wanted to keep building. But it was bad. Really fundamentally bad and horrible to play.
Probably would have helped if it was more of an actual NG+ instead of "you decided to do this, and as a consolation prize you can take like five things with you. Also apparently nobody is capable of remembering anything once they leave the colony, so have fun doing all your research again".

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

From some fuzzy memories, Tynan has specifically said that he didn't really see the game as a Digger Game because he felt like other games (DF, ONI) did that much better.

I do think we could see an expansion where we see imaginary Z-Levels though, i.e. ruined megastructures/dungeons/etc that are multiple small maps with a set entrance and exits/elevators/stairs that take you to connected small maps. One of the few original kickstarter ideas that has still never been followed up on was the idea of massive ruins that required setting up small bases, exploring, salvaging, etc, to go all the way through. I could see dungeon-style maps like that going into an over-world/caravan overhaul expansion.

I could also see an expansion of basic pawn needs and interactivity that adds a more polished and official version of the 1-2-3/Personality/etc mods so you get more lively stories and interactions between pawns. Since Tynan views the game as a story-generator more than anything else, I could definitely see that happening.

One thing I'd like to see but I doubt will happen would be an expansion on time and seasons, so you could have your colony enter cryosleep and advance time for a few decades centuries if there was a global cataclysm, then when you come out the factions and world looks very different. Even better would be if I could have the same world saved and play multiple games on it and revisit the ruins of my previous runs or run into the descendants of a previous colony, etc.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
A mod request with some context --

After finishing up my latest round of personal challenges / self-imposed "quests" in my current game, I find I'm lacking inspiration for what to do next, so I'm putting it in stasis for a while and trying something new. Some browsing on the workshop reminded me that Dead Man's Switch is out and that I've never played with Alpha Mechs, so I'm considering what I'm thinking of as Rimworld Saruman: a mechanitor in their underground fortress churning out nightmarish war machines to overrun the Empire, probably with some custom rules.

Now I'm looking for mod recommendations that would add to the concept: new factions, mechs, interesting systems (this Ancient Mining Industry mod looks neat, for example), fun Randy-based storytellers, etc.

Also, for folks who've played with Alpha Mechs or Dead Man's Switch, should I disable anything in those for egregious balance violations / "gently caress this unfun thing" purposes?

As compensation, I offer a story from last night:

I've been running Real Ruins, which periodically spawns quests leading you to the ruins of actual player bases uploaded to a central server from other people running the mod. These are often, uh, slightly overpowered, given what player bases tend to look like, so I restrict my access to them through a personal rules-set using Vanilla Outposts. Last night a ruin popped, and we arrived to find that its walls are literally made of loving diamond, every room had statues made of precious gems, its storehouse was the size of most ordinary bases and jammed wall-to-wall with high-end gear, textiles, metals, silver, and gold, and it had a nearly-complete starship parked in the courtyard. It is the closest thing the Rim has to a glitterworld in miniature, wealth and luxury beyond even the Empire's imagination.

Unfortunately, despite bringing a Skipdoor caster to enable optimal looting of this place, there was no way we were going to get more than a tiny fraction of this wealth back home: one of the few balancing mechanisms of Real Ruins is that in addition to the factions who start off on the map ready to fight you, a few hours after you enter one of these ruins, it spawns a raid proportional to the wealth of the ruin to contest it, fight off your pawns, and steal as much of the loot as they can carry. And a few hours later it happens again. And again. And again.

Our six-pawn strike team of up-jumped medieval pawns rushes in, seizes the storehouse, walls it off with the bricks inside to buy time, sets up a Skipdoor to create a portal back to our base, and start furiously shoveling things through the portal. On the ruins side, pawns are racing around grabbing armfuls of silver and gold and tossing them through the gate. Back at home base, every possible pawn has been zoned and scheduled to furiously haul treasure away from the portal, but it's coming through too fast for them to manage: the hallways are literally filling up with stacks of silver and gold, rubies and sapphires, bolts of synthread and hyperweave, bionic limbs and glitterworld medicine. One bold pawn on the raiding side manages to duck-and-weave her way through a line of turrets to snag a statue the size of a car made of pure diamond - don't ask me how she managed to lug it back to the portal. These former medieval peasants and hardscrabble mercenaries are Scrooge McDucking in piles of treasure that is literally falling out of the air. Everything they've been through has finally paid off.

And then, the game freezes. I sit there for about a full minute with my fingers crossed that it won't self-destruct, and at last, the raid siren blares as hundreds of tribals come boiling out of the forest. We are nowhere near done looting this place, but we knew we wouldn't manage that. Their breachers will shred these walls in seconds, though line of still-operational turrets will buy us some time.

But you know what else ultra-maxed-out player bases hoard?

Artillery shells.

If we can't have this place for ourselves, there's really only one thing to do. We knew what we'd have to do from the moment we first evaluated what this place held, and now it's time. We pile into the Skipdoor and close it behind us, leaving only one pawn behind, ensconced in a granite-walled cave where a geothermal generator used to be.

He presses the button.

Not pictured: the first wave of explosions, which unfortunately lagged my machine so badly that I couldn't even pause it in time to take a screenshot, or the tribals they vaporized.

"The Blood-Ways Clans have decided to steal what they can and retreat."

You're goddamn right they have. But there's nothing left to steal but glowing ashes, so gently caress you, raiders! You lit my baby thrumbo on fire last year, there is no mercy for you :colbert:

The survivors of the Clans limp away from the smoking crater where a priceless glittertech ruin once stood, retreating into the north - just in time for 84 imperial power-armored infantry to drop pod on top of them.

Our final colonist on station Farskips home, and teleports on top of a seven-year-old former Hussar who's lugging a chest of gold to the overflowing vault. I say "former" because every colonist we've taken in with hosed-up warcrime genetics - the addicted-to-go-juice-and-violence hussars who can't feel emotions or appreciate art, the hideous randomly-mutating Wretches who occasionally roll a set of genes that just kill them or everyone around them, the devilstrand sheep-people who are permanently sad and angry and suffer excruciating pain from the slightest injury - they're all fixed. We've spent the last ten years building new xenogerms for all of them, keeping everything about them that was good and uplifting and meticulously tailoring away everything that some mad scientist or quirk of nature stuck in their genome to control or torment them. There was no mechanical advantage to doing this, and it was a huge pain in the rear end, but we did it because it was right. We have healed these people, brought back fabulous treasures to set up every person in the colony for life, and laid waste to our enemies with a degree of overkill that borders on the mythological.

Time to rest a while.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Doubleposting because it would get lost otherwise: looks like someone on the Workshop has also been thinking about Z-levels, because this just came out:

Tunnel and Underground.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Archonexus would probably be fine if you kept your research. It would make getting your net worth up again a lot faster each time, enhancing the get-rich-quick kind of playstyle which hadn’t before been embraced at all by the game.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I feel like the game just needs 1 z-level, just so you can put defenses on top of a wall. Or put turrets behind your firing line, so they fire over your pawns. If defenses were stronger, then we might not have to rely so much on killboxes and traps.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

A Moose posted:

I feel like the game just needs 1 z-level, just so you can put defenses on top of a wall. Or put turrets behind your firing line, so they fire over your pawns. If defenses were stronger, then we might not have to rely so much on killboxes and traps.

You can't fire over walls, but you can put turrets behind your firing line and not friendly fire the same way you can put shooters behind melee blockers and not friendly fire. You just need to place them close.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Requires putting them in blast range of your base-of-fire element if they get destroyed, and while that probably won’t happen for awhile that time will be long enough for a player to relax their vigilance about being ready to scatter out of cover to avoid explosions. Source: lmao guess

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

A Moose posted:

IIRC there's actually a mod that has this, where you can build an elevated level that pawns can stand on and shoot down - with the downside that they're also exposed.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Eiba posted:

No! Bad suggestion!

The whole god drat premise of Rimworld was that Z levels broke Dwarf Fortress as a game with any semblance of balance and progression, so let's go back to that interesting game it used to be and work on the game aspect more. (No hate on Dwarf Fortress- it's an amazing sandbox/world-sim, but it's not the game it used to be.)

Z levels are really tempting, of course, but even if they were technically feasible (which is also unlikely) they would utterly ruin the game.

I don't see how standing on a wall and shooting down at enemies is some kind of gameplay shattered mistake of an inclusion. Especially if the game is tweaked for it in a major DLC, or even a Rimworld 2.

If I squint I can kinda see what you mean, I use embrasures and it can break man hunter packs, because animals aren't programmed to comprehend enemies shooting them through a small hole in a wall that cannot be pathed too. But then that's not unlike real life either.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

A Moose posted:

Defense were significantly stronger and the end result was that players used them in addition to elaborate killboxes and scores of traps and basically automated the entire "combat" part of the game. Which Tynan disliked so he significantly nerfed them over time. :v:

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Kestral posted:

>snip an AWESOME loving story about a Real Ruins raid<

Now this... this is loving Rimworld, right here.

Hannibal from the loving A-Team saying, "I love it when a plan comes together."

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Lt. Lizard posted:

Defense were significantly stronger and the end result was that players used them in addition to elaborate killboxes and scores of traps and basically automated the entire "combat" part of the game. Which Tynan disliked so he significantly nerfed them over time. :v:

Joke's on him. I'll mod in my obelisks and tesla coils and like it!

I do wish the tesla coils were more like their Red Alert counterparts in terms of damage, but one-shotting infantry probably is a bit too strong for Rimworld.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

What's the mod that makes pawns haul things intelligently? Kinda sick of seeing a miner mine far from the base, go home to sleep but leave all the resources just lying there instead of picking some up on the way. I thought it was Pick up and Haul but I've got that installed and they're still dumb and lazy.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Sounds like you're looking for While You're Up / PUAH+

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Thank you! Which also reminded me to get Common Sense so my pawns clean the room before doing stuff like cooking and doctoring.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Aren't there issues with common sense? I remember it being buggy/causing conflicts a year or so ago

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Aren't there issues with common sense? I remember it being buggy/causing conflicts a year or so ago

It can have issues yeah, pawn behaviors with common sense aren't always intuitive or good

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Haven't noticed anything odd yet. Is there an alternative mod to get my cook to clean the kitchen before cooking and stuff?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Common Sense only really has issues with pawns choosing their type of recreation. It's the mod that makes pawns pick up their gun after being downed that seems to have all the problems with pawns doing blisteringly stupid things.

The real issue with Common Sense is that the name doesn't encompass everything the mod does. It's more of a cleaning mod than anything and also keeps pawns from mixing bad ingredients into a meal. It doesn't really prevent children from nature running into a raid or keeping your pawns from walking directly through your hospital as a shortcut. It also isn't a complete replacement for micromanagement. You still need to make sure your pawns are resting while sick or overriding their jobs if they're hurt/starving/about to break.

I'd just kill for a mod where pawns don't try to die when they're barely ahead of immunity on a flu.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Is there a mod where I can hide masterwork and legendary messages on a per item/bill basis? I have a specialist churning out top tier jewelry that's flooding out all the other crafting successes.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly it's a base game issue. If you force a pawn to do something they should keep doing it, at least until they fall over from fatigue or starvation or mental break. Instead they just kind of give up and wander off whenever a need drops a bit too far. This isn't a big deal if the pawn was crafting or something non-critical but it can absolutely be lethal when some idiot pawn slowly meanders halfway across the base to get a sandwich while neck and neck with horrible infection death instead of just waiting thirty seconds for a doctor to bring them one.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Asimo posted:

Honestly it's a base game issue. If you force a pawn to do something they should keep doing it, at least until they fall over from fatigue or starvation or mental break. Instead they just kind of give up and wander off whenever a need drops a bit too far. This isn't a big deal if the pawn was crafting or something non-critical but it can absolutely be lethal when some idiot pawn slowly meanders halfway across the base to get a sandwich while neck and neck with horrible infection death instead of just waiting thirty seconds for a doctor to bring them one.

Extremely accurate and realistic though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

LonsomeSon posted:

Requires putting them in blast range of your base-of-fire element if they get destroyed, and while that probably won’t happen for awhile that time will be long enough for a player to relax their vigilance about being ready to scatter out of cover to avoid explosions. Source: lmao guess

Generally if you're getting hit hard enough that turrets positioned *behind* your pawns are taking so much damage they're exploding you're in some extremely dire straits to begin with, but this is a downside.

The real answer is to simply widen your killbox outflow so you can put your long range turrets to the sides of your pawn firebase to completely sidestep this issue, of course.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Heffer posted:

Is there a mod where I can hide masterwork and legendary messages on a per item/bill basis? I have a specialist churning out top tier jewelry that's flooding out all the other crafting successes.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2266225921&searchtext=block+unwanted

Unfortunately I don't think you can do it per crafter, it's all or nothing.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I'm doing a big poly fort and have run into the problem of people not doing work because they keep getting married. Every other day basically no work gets done because someone is getting married, and then they propose to one of their other partners at the wedding too so now there's gonna be another one in a few days

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I dont know how Z levels break the game seeing as how some raids just break through your roof anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
There's a difference between "this thing happening can remove a roof tile and make dudes spawn around there" and "the game is set up to simulate everything on multiple interacting map levels". I don't know enough about programming to guess what all the issues could be, but I'm sure pathfinding alone would become considerably more complex. (or not, and lead to stuff like how DF dwarves sometimes go down and up 30 flights of stairs to grab something instead of grabbing one 6 steps away on the same floor, because the former was technically closer via z levels)