Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Plantation is called Planteray now guys please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not as long as old stock remains on the shelf

We must all do our part

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Not as long as old stock remains on the shelf

We must all do our part

Remember the pandemic supply chain shortage? Where some of the major liquor brands had to move to 1L PET because they couldn't get enough custom glass to bottle their wares? And how any major player invested hard in their existing packages to prevent a second shortage?

There's a lot of those embossed glass bottles hanging around storage facilities in France, I'd bet.

Goon forth, and drink that rum.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Ever forget what you’ve decanted and get a surprise cocktail?
Tonight I made a Mystery Storm King.

2 oz Talisker 10 (I thought this was Glenfarclas)
.5 oz Nocino
.25 oz Benedictine
3 dashes Angostura

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The Dark is cheap as hell too ($22.99/1L by me?). They honestly are probably my favorite rum brand overall, the combination of price, quality and versatility can't be beat

e: i don't mean to keep harping on them like I'm a paid rep, but between the 3 staples they really were a fantastic intro to rum for me

Same, Plantarayanation has slowly taken over as my go-to for so many different cocktails--all their stuff ticks the magical trio of quality, price, and availability. Original Dark has even supplanted Appleton Estate for my go-to cocktail rum.

A daiquiri with 2 oz of Plantation pineapple rum, 1 oz demerara simple, and a fresh squeezed lime is so quick, easy, refreshing, and delicious :D

And speaking of their pineapple rum, my wife recently found a bottle of Stiggins' Fancy, which is finished in irish whiskey barrels, and is way better than it has any right to be (especially for a thirty dollar bottle of anything)

And their XO Rum? :swoon:

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Stiggins' Fancy is their normal pineapple rum, I think you're confused. They did put out this last year though, which is finished in peated Irish whiskey barrels. I'll agree that they didn't really do enough to make the labels different.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Is there any benefit for using a mixing spoon to stir over a chopstick? I legitimately hate using the spoon and prefer using a chopstick. If there’s something im missing I’ll learn but if there isnt im gonna use chopsticks from now on.

Also, I had my first mezcal negroni last night and it was excellent.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
The barspoon also allows you to measure out barspoon amounts of ingredients, and crack ice in a pinch.

Stirring is gonna be identical. The ice should really be what’s pushing the drink around anyway.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If a recipe calls for stirring usually I just swirl the shaker.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Data Graham posted:

I'll go you one further: I shake everything. I like what happens when you get the lil bubbles.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Thanks all, gonna stick to the chopstick, way easier!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
A quality barspoon will have a counterweight and a spiralled stem to make stirring take less effort, but if a chopstick is easier for you then that’s not really important.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Data Graham posted:

Grand Fromage posted:

I'll go you one further: I shake everything. I like what happens when you get the lil bubbles.

:psyduck:

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

I’m with you on this one. Remind me not to order a martini or Manhattan from those guys.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah. Anyone can make drinks however they want. But if the recipe calls for stirring then swirling or shaking is not going to produce the same result. Swirling is definitely better than shaking, though. It would also depend on how long you swirl. If you did it for 30 seconds you would probably get a result fairly close to a properly stirred drink. The point of the stirring is to dilute the drink and drop the temperature while integrating the ingredients.

But shaking? No. That's going to do different things.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Barspoons are weighted to spin around the inside of the stirring glass with a very low effort rhythmic pull of your wrist. With a chopstick you’d have to be doing a circular motion with your entire hand and likely causing more churning of the ice, and therefor more aeration.

Added bonuses are that it’s a spoon, which is handy for measuring poo poo and scooping garnishes out of syrup/brine, and the twisted shaft makes introducing carbonated liquids much more uniform without agitation if you pour them down it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yes, it does different things. That's the point.

If I'm making a new drink I'll follow the recipe and stir it, but I'm going to shake it the next time and almost certainly prefer that.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

tonedef131 posted:

Barspoons are weighted to spin around the inside of the stirring glass with a very low effort rhythmic pull of your wrist. With a chopstick you’d have to be doing a circular motion with your entire hand and likely causing more churning of the ice, and therefor more aeration.

Added bonuses are that it’s a spoon, which is handy for measuring poo poo and scooping garnishes out of syrup/brine, and the twisted shaft makes introducing carbonated liquids much more uniform without agitation if you pour them down it.

yeah, ill be ok for home cocktail making just using a chopstick.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Stir with whatever you've got, it's not going to break the drink unless you're in some kind of bartending competition, but a good bar spoon simply does it better/easier. There's something zen about the way it goes around the edges of the glass as you twirl it in your fingers. Also good for cracking ice.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

Yes, it does different things. That's the point.

If I'm making a new drink I'll follow the recipe and stir it, but I'm going to shake it the next time and almost certainly prefer that.

Are you hard shaking or doing more of a roll/soft shake? I know there's evidence that some drinks that are stirred today were shaken gently in the past.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I use a chopstick to stir too, and to reduce aeration I try to use 1 big cube instead of several smaller ones, seems to work well

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

When I say "swirl" I mean I swirl for a long time, and I change directions several times. Enough so there is significant frost on the outside of the shaker.

I want the liquid clear and smooth and cooooold. This gets me there fine.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I use a nice barspoon when I have one to hand, because I like the counterweight. But I use chopsticks often, and that's what I use to stir my coffee and tea as well.

Also, I will often shake a martini because I love the little sheen of ice that I get when I do that. And I like my martinis colder than any stirring will ever achieve.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The coldest martini is the one you keep in the freezer.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I just hold the tin against my chest as I circle charybdis

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

prayer group posted:

Stiggins' Fancy is their normal pineapple rum, I think you're confused. They did put out this last year though, which is finished in peated Irish whiskey barrels. I'll agree that they didn't really do enough to make the labels different.

Nope, you're right, I'm confused... that'll learn me to pay closer attention to what I link

In my defense :psyduck:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Can someone work out the ratios here?

- Gin
- Pomegranate juice
- Cardamaro
- Creme de Violette
- Grenidine

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
3 gin. Served cold.

Cardamaro later for dessert.

The rest is chaff.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

PRADA SLUT posted:

- Gin
- Pomegranate juice
- Cardamaro
- Creme de Violette
- Grenidine

The serious answer is that no one can do this as good as you could, since you're the one who actually tasted the drink. None of us know how it was served or what it tasted like.

...buuuuut if I really had to I might do this:

1.5oz gin
0.75 pomegranate juice
0.25 Cardamaro
0.5 grenadine
1tsp Creme de Violette

Shake, fine strain, serve in a coupe with a lemon twist. Might be a little sweet depending on what kind of pomegranate juice you're using.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

3 gin. Served cold.

Cardamaro later for dessert.

The rest is chaff.

sir this is the cocktail thread

Carillon
May 9, 2014

PRADA SLUT posted:

- Gin
- Pomegranate juice
- Cardamaro
- Creme de Violette
- Grenidine

Can you describe the drink? Was it more tart? Bitter? Or sweeter, leaning into the Grenadine/Juice?

It could sorta work as a few different types of cocktails, so depends on how it presented.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I enjoy a good game of "guess what OP meant". I'm gonna suggest that the grenadine may just be a garnish. I don't know why else you'd have both that and pomegranate juice in there, unless I've only ever had sweetened stuff and not realized it.

Honestly if you momentarily take grenadine out of the equation, it almost has the makings of a Last Word variant. I know equal parts Violette is a bit heavy handed, but there should be enough sweetness to balance it out. IDK, I may enjoy that more than most.

I've also never had Cardamaro so that's a wildcard here, even though I can guess from the name.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I don't know how you'd use grenadine as a garnish. Pomegranate juice, especially fresh, is tart enough that it could probably work like I said, but I'd still want a little lemon in there personally.

And actually you can't guess what Cardamaro is from the name! It's not made with cardamom, but cardoon, a relative of the artichoke. Same stuff that Cynar is made with and named after.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I don’t know what it was like since I didn’t drink it. Making it for someone else but was looking more for a starting point that seemed reasonable and then would adjust from there.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Grenadine and Pomegranate juice are redundant. You could just use simple instead of grenadine. Or use a different flavored syrup if you want to go another direction.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

prayer group posted:

I'd still want a little lemon in there personally.
Ditto this. I’ve tried really hard to get sours to work with unsweetened cranberry, which seems to have a similar acid profile as pomegranate to me, and it just never worked without at least some citrus. I’d skip the Pom juice all together if you have access to high quality grenadine. Likely start somewhere along these lines:

2oz gin
1oz Cardamaro
3/4oz lemon
1/2oz grenadine

That shouldn’t be disgusting, and then you can lower the amaro or up the grenadine or whatever to hit the right balance of bitter, tart and sweet.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

prayer group posted:

I don't know how you'd use grenadine as a garnish.

I was thinking it might be more for a visual effect (i.e. sunrise) than completely mixed in. IDK, it's hard to say really. You'd think it would be red enough already but I guess depending on the ratio it might possibly have an effect.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

trying to find small bottles of orange blossom and rose waters because this orgeat recipe calls for 1/4tsp each and these are like 9oz bottles I'm finding lol

at least grenadine is easier to make

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

trying to find small bottles of orange blossom and rose waters because this orgeat recipe calls for 1/4tsp each and these are like 9oz bottles I'm finding lol

at least grenadine is easier to make

I personally can’t stand rose flower water in any quantity, tastes like pure perfume. But the orange water is great in grenadine, orgeat and Ramos fizzes. If you have any Mediterranean or Halal groceries nearby it’s only a couple bucks for one of those bottles and the shelf life is nearly infinite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ended up getting a bottle of each one in a combo pack for $12, one of the mediterranean brands looks like. Thanks again, Amazon