Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It is banned. We all hate it

i dont play yu-gi-oh but basically as soon as i grok'd what the card was doing i spent the entire video building up an increasing amount of sicko yes ha ha yes face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Endorph posted:

thats kind of just the shield a lot of these guys use. like that Trash Taste Podcast crew who go on their podcast and talk about how hard anime is to rec because its too horny and objectifies women and then go on their youtube channels and 'ironically' do nothing but talk about hentai

I have no idea who those guys are but I looked them up and they're promoting "Waifu Cups" from Gamer Supps and that's sure a repellent chain of words.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The thing that gets me about the "b-but the WORLD BUILDING" arguments is that even if Horrible Fetish Story has good world building or whatever, so loving what? It's the easiest thing in the world to find a piece of fiction that's hot garbage with a few cool ideas within.

If I'm going to rec an anime with cool worldbuilding that's also a mess I'm going to rec The Twelve Kingdoms. Which is not a mess because it is a horny show (it's a very normal Inuyasha-era isekai.) It's a mess because you can tell it had basically no budget to animate big sequences and a lot of smaller details are lost in scenes or wonkily edited, someone involved must have decided the world and politics laid out were too complicated so we need multiple recap episodes, the anime has to struggle to reframe a few light novel stories that were presented from different POVs as all being presented to one character, and then the anime trails off because the light novels weren't (and still aren't) finished so the anime suddenly ends on dangling plot threads because it had nothing else to adapt.

It's still an interesting anime when it's hitting right, but sad the story stalled out.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 18, 2024

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Endorph posted:

thats kind of just the shield a lot of these guys use. like that Trash Taste Podcast crew who go on their podcast and talk about how hard anime is to rec because its too horny and objectifies women and then go on their youtube channels and 'ironically' do nothing but talk about hentai

I feel like these people are saying a lot more about the things they choose to watch than the state of anime.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

In my day if a spell card was a problem we MST'd it. Maybe these people should just run MST.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Kay Kessler posted:

In my day if a spell card was a problem we MST'd it. Maybe these people should just run MST.

joel cant help you now

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Just watch my new ace friend Frieren be non problematic unless you are a demon

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I am watching Bravern we got the gay robot.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Here is a video essay about a toxic Yugioh card.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC1wCYFUs1A
I don't know how comprehensible this is if you don't play the game but Mystic Mine ftl and I enjoyed it.

Now this is clearly an example of pure evil.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Endorph posted:

I will forever hate Gigguk for making that shitass "Anime is trash, and so am I" joke that's become a mantra for the kind of people who think being unapologetic about their arrested development will loop all the way back into making it a cute and quirky personality trait.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

just watch Kaiji everyone

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

And akagi!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

remembering multiple people recommending me goblin slayer and now i dont talk to those people anymore after watching the first episode

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It is banned. We all hate it

Its true

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Clerical Terrors posted:

I will forever hate Gigguk for making that shitass "Anime is trash, and so am I" joke that's become a mantra for the kind of people who think being unapologetic about their arrested development will loop all the way back into making it a cute and quirky personality trait.

maybe its because i am old, but where does anyone meet people like this?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yugioh impresses me with its Calvinball mechanics being different compared to mtg's rube goldberg death combos.

Fluffdaddy posted:

In real life, I am unsure. Anime conventions maybe?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Fluffdaddy posted:

I had to go back to school years after dropping out and the answer is community college.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fluffdaddy posted:

X, formerly known as Twitter

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Annointed posted:

Yugioh impresses me with its Calvinball mechanics being different compared to mtg's rube goldberg death combos.

out of all the weird ygo rules, for some reason the one that makes MTG players reliably go feral is that you can't activate search cards without a valid target. if you "fail to find" you get a minor penalty and have to retract the activation

for some reason people get extremely angry when they hear about this

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

out of all the weird ygo rules, for some reason the one that makes MTG players reliably go feral is that you can't activate search cards without a valid target. if you "fail to find" you get a minor penalty and have to retract the activation

It seems a little silly. What’s the reason there’s a penalty?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fluffdaddy posted:

The internet channels stupid people takes right onto our screens.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Fluffdaddy posted:

Met a couple in uni and one at a local ttrpg group a few years back (he wasn't invited back to any tables). Some of them before aforementioned Gigguk quote became a thing but they were still very much of a type.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Fluffdaddy posted:

People are free to watch and look at whatever they want just dont have to tell everyone about it. Its like announcing to the room every time you have to take a poo poo

Every time I go to the bathroom I yell "TIME TO TAKE A BIG, FAT, STINKY poo poo" as loudly as possible.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Feels Villeneuve posted:

lol this kicks rear end

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there's like 6000 unread posts, anything interesting happen among them

I think the last I saw was people discussing the hbomberguy plaigiarism video

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

they say regulations are written in blood, which makes me extremely interested in the yugioh fandom wiki's sole two examples of procedural errors that will cause you to instantly lose the match:
  • A player spills water on their Deck and damages their cards, which makes it impossible to finish the current Match.
  • A player loses their Deck in between Matches and does not notify the scorekeeper until after the round has already been paired.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKcwqRGC15U

Chef James gets so appalled by Jamie Oliver's dish that his English accent comes back. He's a fun watch despite the cringey video thumbnails because he does know what he's talking about with cooking.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

TheMightyBoops posted:

It seems a little silly. What’s the reason there’s a penalty?

The gameplay reason probably is because there is no explicit resource system, so the "costs" of cards tend to be actions you perform.

with good deckbuilding you can set things up so these costs can benefit you, like running a discard engine with cards that have a "discard one card from your hand" cost. however at the same time they probably don't want people to generically pay activation costs on cards without the deckbuilding cost of having to run a legal target.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

there's like 6000 unread posts, anything interesting happen among them

I think the last I saw was people discussing the hbomberguy plaigiarism video

No, divest yourself of the past posting and live in the moment

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Mtg players are dirty and underhanded gamers that love to use fake searches to shuffle away bad cards after getting to see the top cards of their library

But in general mtg has so many weird advantages that arise from angle-shooting the rules as they are written exactly that I can see a clause that guarantees you do something only the intended way upsetting them

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Clerical Terrors posted:

Too many people took the sentiment of "don't be embarrassed by your interests" to actually mean "uncritically accept all media and overlook any questionable elements". The point was that nerdy interests are fine, not that you should be proud of loving creepy poo poo!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

The 7th Guest posted:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
kaiji is my favorite anime for real

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that fella's got a large nose, and a larger chin

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

The 7th Guest posted:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

everyone in the manga looks like that and when they had to make pachinko machines of the gambling anime they had to scour the entire series to find one female character that wasnt a gonk to make into the fan service character lol

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

the composer isn't still in prison is he? over weed?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

Recently read the mangakas PSA manga about the dangers of weed use, and he ends up describing the effects of alcohol and says its weed lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he's right

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

but even larger is his heart and determination. he cries, and his friends cry, and even those that betray him cry, because they're all fighting and scraping and clawing their way towards survival, against the greatest odds!! these men aren't afraid to cry and let their emotions out, to show fear and vulnerability! the system is rigged against them but they will fight with everything they have!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he fights for his friends who always screw him over