Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I was wondering why their starting town was so drat big, they probably thought about housing being a thing early on. Incorporating housing into the world from the start is neato, but if they dedicate to no instancing, they will certainly need more housing than whatever their metrics say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
They really won’t, the classic mmo/EverQuest crowd won’t mind a house you have to grind goblin asses for

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

an iksar marauder posted:

They really won’t, the classic mmo/EverQuest crowd won’t mind a house you have to grind goblin asses for

MMO CHAT: A house made of goblin asses

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the fourth enormous goon made his house out of goblin asses. the big bad mod said "let me in! let me in!" but the fourth enormous goon said "no! no! not by the hairs on my necky neck neck!"

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The M&M team has specifically said they are a niche game so they are presumably designing in expectation of having a small audience. Non-instanced housing wouldn't be a problem then as long as the requirements to build/buy a house are high enough that it would filter out tourists.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

1stGear posted:

The M&M team has specifically said they are a niche game so they are presumably designing in expectation of having a small audience. Non-instanced housing wouldn't be a problem then as long as the requirements to build/buy a house are high enough that it would filter out tourists.

Ideal, make the world so big (EvE online Scale) that building and resources might have some premium locations, but in general you can pop down something wherever. Not ideal in an MMO, but it means we get tons of fresh, abaodoned and other stuff that you could auto turn into a dungon and create a cool feedback loop of fun dungons created by players.
(this is of course a dream)

Likly, Limit of 1 house per person, large areas built for housing.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

1stGear posted:

I guess it's been long enough to forget, but MMOs used to underestimate launch day numbers all the time.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Freakazoid_ posted:

I guess it's been long enough to forget, but MMOs used to underestimate launch day numbers all the time.

Used to? And just mmos?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Used to? And just mmos?

see: helldivers 2

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

There are literally m&m devs actively raiding on p99, it’s not going to be a problem for the people they’re making the game for

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I do have the feeling that M&M devs are underestimating the number of people who are starved for any kind of traditional MMO experience. For every person interested in the stress tests there are at least 10 waiting for a proper release. I anticipate housing plots getting snapped up by mega sweats pretty quickly

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Frog Act posted:

I do have the feeling that M&M devs are underestimating the number of people who are starved for any kind of traditional MMO experience. For every person interested in the stress tests there are at least 10 waiting for a proper release. I anticipate housing plots getting snapped up by mega sweats pretty quickly

Your absolutly on the ball here. Lots of us old timers who grew up with EQ are ready for something new.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah the MMO dragon I've been chasing since I was 13 is EQOA, the EQ game that seems to inspire M&M the most, and I reckon there are a good number of people who feel the same way since there just aren't any games even remotely analogous to it around anymore

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Frog Act posted:

Yeah the MMO dragon I've been chasing since I was 13 is EQOA, the EQ game that seems to inspire M&M the most, and I reckon there are a good number of people who feel the same way since there just aren't any games even remotely analogous to it around anymore

What makes EQOA significantly different from EQ?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Being a PlayStation 2 exclusive, it was a smaller more chill Everquest, simpler mechanics, but still just as grindy. Which is not to say the game was small, it was still huge, especially for a PS2 game and MMORPG at that. It also had a completely different art style and looked really great. It was shut down in 2012, and there are attempts to bring it back, but honestly I don't think anyone will be able to properly bring the game back how it was when it shut down.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

cmdrk posted:

It's more like wow, basically. No corpse runs, degradable gear you use a currency to repair, class quests every 10 levels. Stuff like that and the combat was more action focused than regular EQ.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

somewhere out there in another universe is a me that got to play True Fantasy Live Online and I have to wonder if he's a happier, more complete man for it.......

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

cmdrk posted:

It's completely different, in case the other replies didn't make that obvious.

Still set on Norrath, but it's as different as eq2 is to eq1.

I never played it, or really even knew it existed, until well after it was dead. I think it'd be cool to run around and see another interpretation of Norrath.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

somewhere out there in another universe is a me that got to play True Fantasy Live Online and I have to wonder if he's a happier, more complete man for it.......

There is no reality where an mmorpg does this.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
EQOA is 500 years before EQ1 and then EQ2 is..sometime after? I think

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Frog Act posted:

There will be upkeep and maintenance costs to make sure housing areas are for active players only. I’m very glad for their hard stance against instancing because a small MMO doesn’t need player sequestration. If housing is more than purely decorative (ie. if you can add conveniences like crafting locations which are placed in a more convenient manner than elsewhere) then instancing would remove active players doing an action in game from the game world at large which is the polar opposite of what you’d want

If the end result is that not everyone can have a player house that’s fine.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

an iksar marauder posted:

If the end result is that not everyone can have a player house that’s fine.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
what is this home owner hoa bullshit

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
EQOA also didn’t have zones, so your run from Qeynos to Freeport was a long rear end trek without any breaks. If you picked up aggro and you didn’t have SoW, you were pretty hosed.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Monsters & Housing Crises

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
In an unexpectedly relevant anecdote, Ashen Empires, a game that gets maybe 100 people online on a good day, is changing their housing from being part of the world to its own housing island. Even with a low population, in-world housing was getting in the way of some monster spawns.

I think that's the first time I've heard of an MMO changing their housing system after initial release. It's also kind of weird that that has been their focus after the steam integration. The game's got worse issues than housing placement.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Looking forward to being a corporate slumlord in my niche retro mmo.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
My friend's room mate did that

literally would just buy and hold houses in various games to raise prices on resale

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

So something called Trimurti online launched on steam and I hate myself so I downloaded it. Here’s a trip report.

Pros:
Runs well even on my dogshit laptop

Interesting Indian/ Chinese esthetic you don’t see super often

Loot drops on the ground like Diablo

Has stat increasing choice like Diablo 2

Cons:
Literally everything else

The first 2 quests in the game are to go kill the same mob for the same drops twice

The same combat barks ever single time you do anything

Jump doesn’t really work you just kind of appear at the top of your jump arc and then drop

Game is ugly as sin

Animation are choppy and weird with no stitching make everything seem like a placeholder which as it is early access it could be

The steam page straight up lies and says the game has 8 classes it has 4 (maybe they mean male and female version but that’s stretching it)

Game has one map about maybe 1 square kilometer

Combat feel like poo poo

Straight up Korean style grinding as you “finish” the first towns quests and are told hey go level up like 10 times we’ll wait

All the menus look like they are (it came with the engine) style

Text overflows menus everywhere

Quest tracking is non existent

And they say the game will be “done” by April

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Oh it will be.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm the lead developer of that game AMA

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

First, how dare you?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Pve MMOs with non instanced housing is the dumbest poo poo

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

pve mmos should let me build my house around a world boss so i can keep it as a pet

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

PookBear posted:

Pve MMOs with non instanced housing is the dumbest poo poo

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

pve mmos should let me build my house around a world boss so i can keep it as a pet

Sorry, Order of the Poopsock Dragons already has a castle mansion warehouse there, so they can port directly to the world boss every raid reset.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I can’t categorically dislike non-instanced housing because of my many fond memories of SWG and Shadowbane in their prime. Obviously it didn’t take long for them to acquire that sort of ghostly museum to player accomplishments past vibe which I personally love, but for a couple years you could pop into cities in games like that and find players actively engaging in interesting emergent gameplay at all hours. That’s something you can’t get with static walled off neighborhoods

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

drat I forgot about Shadowbane. What a shitshow that launch was.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Ultima Online had it correct by letting players fill up every inch of open space so you were basically doing battle across a medieval megamall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i feel like if your game has non-instanced housing you're basically saying that you don't expect more than 100 people to ever play it