Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It was a rail gun I saw someone use.. What a waste of 5000 coins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

They did it

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

flashman posted:

Eh, AMR isn't the worst. It's good at doing the auto cannon job in clearing warriors and brood commanders and stuff while freeing up a backpack slot. I wouldn't use it solo, but in a full team there's room for it.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
just gonna pipe in and say I've not been motivated like this to play an online game since Left 4 Dead.
RIP your servers.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

johnny park posted:

They did it

fuckin wild. this is just steam right?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

JBP posted:

The next hell popsicle is also entitled to use the computer to rebrand.

There is a finite number of names in combination. You are automatically assigned to a pre-existing ship with the name you picked.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

JBP posted:

There like a thousand frozen guys in the cargo hold ready to spot for the destroyer lol

I feel some kinship with these frozen guys as we all wait to take the place of the non-frozen players currently logged into the server.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

flashman posted:

Got to play a bunch because I just left it open for two days once I logged in at like 0400 est. Pretty fun poo poo and I got the anti material rifle so hopefully it's cool and helps me kill the chargers easier.
AMR is good against most robots(kills more armored guys if you shoot them in the eyes, bigger ones take a few shots) but for chargers you want expendable anti tank or railgun, for the most part

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

CainFortea posted:

AMR doesn't do jack against chargers.
I keep seeing mixed claims of "You can totally just shoot scout walkers with it wherever though!" vs "It isn't a bad weapon you just have skill issues for not shooing THE WEAK POINT!" so I just keep bringing explosives rather than learn the hard way under fire.

That said, while they do the boring game thing of removing your third person crosshair to "Balance" a sniper rifle in a game full of airstrikes and explosives? Bringing it on some easy missions and panic firing, it SEEMS to at least be able to hit things directly in front of you that way instead of magically sending the bullet away at a 75 degree angle any time the trigger is pulled without a scope view,

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

CainFortea posted:

Eh, AMR isn't the worst. It's good at doing the auto cannon job in clearing warriors and brood commanders and stuff while freeing up a backpack slot. I wouldn't use it solo, but in a full team there's room for it.

It's ok if you're willing to ADS it tbh if I'm taking a non-backpack gun I'll always opt for the railgun or grenade launcher since they are far more versatile and get the job done better in most cases. I ran the anti materiel for a bit but even when shooting accurately into weak points I wish I had something else.

E: also agree I'd probably give it another go if it had a reticle other than ADS. Would be a little more versatile.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

fuckin wild. this is just steam right?

Yeah I got it from SteamDB. IIRC the devs have said the playerbase is more or less evenly split between PC and PS5 so they're approximately at 800k total

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
AMR is for high speed big rear end spitter death

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

triple sulk posted:

It's the greatest game of all time for another 10 days and four hours

https://x.com/bangbowbing/status/1759149056847237400?s=61&t=fWsm-upldseXptBaVlet9Q

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

yeah after running helldive all week the slower and more precise weaponry just really does not do well

ain't no one got time to be an antitank or recoilless loader when you're running for your life at all times

speed and stealth combined with brief moments of extreme firepower get you in and out alive mission complete

consequently the railgun and grenade launcher are just Better than the other heavy options, as they let you deal with every heavy in the game or hordes of stuff + bug holes/fabs while leaving your backpack open for shield/guard dog/resupply and giving you mobility on the reload

I don't actually love this because the other heavy weapons are a ton of fun, but the pressure on helldive is just intense

similar story with strategems, turret and fixed emplacement stuff is just meh outside defense missions because you don't want to be staying in one place any longer than you need to or you'll have three tanks/bile titans and a pile of hulks/chargers up in your poo poo

none of this is enough to stop me from taking anti material or flamethrower or mines or whatever on our group runs, but they underperformed for us once we left the medium difficulties

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

flashman posted:

Nah AMR is fine vs bots at least until you get the Autocannon, and even then it's ok if you want to run a backpack too.

Section Z posted:

I keep seeing mixed claims of "You can totally just shoot scout walkers with it wherever though!" vs "It isn't a bad weapon you just have skill issues for not shooing THE WEAK POINT!" so I just keep bringing explosives rather than learn the hard way under fire.
Iirc it kills scout walkers with 2 shots to the legs or 3? shots to the body, maybe 4. Apparently also takes out hulks if you shoot the cockpit or rear vents, tanks if you shoot the vents some and maybe the turret sides like, a lot? Seems decent as a stopgap until you either start using the autocannon or railgun

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 19, 2024

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/shindags/status/1759115106016002178?t=pT5SOphMghS3P8YAw7DKPQ&s=19

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Is the evacuate scientists mission on the robot side bugged? The waves of enemies just never ever cease

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

Is the evacuate scientists mission on the robot side bugged? The waves of enemies just never ever cease

Some people are saying it is. The mission on the planet map is listed as a 40 minute mission but in the mission it has a time limit of only 15 minutes. Some people are saying it's bugged, spawning the amount of enemies meant for a 40 minute mission inside a 15 minute mission so the spawns are hosed and basically on top of each other over and over

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

flashman posted:

You can still kill tons of difficult to kill things quickly with well placed shots and you can carry lots of ammo. It's completely fine. Chargers are a pain in the rear end no matter what unless you use a stratagem or have support weapons specifically designed to deal with heavily armored enemies.

You can literally kill those big hulking mechs that have the weak points on their back in like 3 direct hits to their tiny little heads, and aiming in the game isn't hard if you're playing KB+M.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

:lol: yes

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I like the one that's basically like "Now you can post on' gofundme for TROOPS'" to get an extra clip in your weapon pod.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Has anyone else been unable to play with randoms? It seems like the server doesn't even know I'm on. I can't join a Quickplay, and when I look at each world map, there is no one else on that I can join. I throw down an SOS for every mission that I enter solo, but I have never have anyone join me.

I am on Public. I have tried turning Crossplay on and off, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

mrmcd posted:

I like the one that's basically like "Now you can post on' gofundme for TROOPS'" to get an extra clip in your weapon pod.

Pit crew hazard pay so you can leave munitions and poo poo strewn about the floor of the hangar is lol

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Koth posted:

Has anyone else been unable to play with randoms? It seems like the server doesn't even know I'm on. I can't join a Quickplay, and when I look at each world map, there is no one else on that I can join. I throw down an SOS for every mission that I enter solo, but I have never have anyone join me.

I am on Public. I have tried turning Crossplay on and off, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Random matchmaking has been turned off/not working the whole weekend. A side effect of their servers being utterly overwhelmed.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

FWIW Quickplay may be broken, but throwing an SOS beacon in the map seems to work just fine. I got three rowdy divers to pal around with me on Hard. :shrug:

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
drat. I've done about 6 missions solo now and I throw down an SOS every time, but no one joins.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Schnitzler posted:

Random matchmaking has been turned off/not working the whole weekend. A side effect of their servers being utterly overwhelmed.

It's seems to be somewhat working, kept getting random people joining in on my missions and ship.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Accidentally threw down a 500kg strike and the game crashed

lol

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Koth posted:

go into a mission, drop the sos pod, go back to your ship, reload the same mission (maybe any mission), wait for a moment in your ship, should get people joining

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

If anyone wants to add me, my friend code on Steam is 16264386. I haven't actually been able to get in for the last couple hours but it'd be cool to have more people on my friends list to join matches with. Been running solo or duoing with the same three or four people I keep seeing on.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

^^^^Edit: The Goon discord that gets linked every couple pages and in the OP has a pinned post that’s a google sheet of friend codes. Add yours — do not generate another after adding yours to the sheet — and then go through and friend request everyone. I try to friend new people every few days but I’ve been out of town all weekend.

Koth posted:

drat. I've done about 6 missions solo now and I throw down an SOS every time, but no one joins.

The trick last week was to throw down an SOS at the start of your mission, leave back to your ship once it deployed, and then choose a new mission (I think it had to be on the same planet) from the war map. Once you’d jumped into your pod and were on the drop zone or stratagem select screens a full party of divers would usually show up. Not sure if that still works with how much more broken things are.

Dinosaurs! fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 19, 2024

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Homeless Friend posted:

Yes, but fearless and 7 feet tall.

Any of the stim booster armors basically turn you into this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ8zFpWCmRY

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Goddamn if this weekend ends with me playing 2 games total only late after midnight because that's the only time I can log in and they're both solo games because of busted matchmaking

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Tom Tucker posted:

But I named the drat thing :colbert:

The name on the side of the ship is actually LEDs, they just change the name when you get unfrozen.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Oh wow it took me way too long to find the terminal you unlock stratagems at. I thought my teammates just had cool stratagems because they were all higher level

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

toasterwarrior posted:

Goddamn if this weekend ends with me playing 2 games total only late after midnight because that's the only time I can log in and they're both solo games because of busted matchmaking

I will be pissed because in my handful of games i somehow didn't get 100 gatling kills (one long mission i brought the wrong turret :negative:)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Since I have only been in solo play today but still Doing My Part in defensive missions I can confirm that the "kill 120 robots" blitz mission is easy up through very hard. Meanwhile the "rescue VIPs" mission is goddamned impossible even on lower difficulties because the waves of enemies are absolutely endless and there's no good funneling system since you have to be running around opening shelters.

aWall
Jan 28, 2003

Football Jesus
loading screen retry would not be as frustrating if it didnt somehow require 64% GPU and 28% CPU utilization. My fans are screaming!

Cool game, but maybe I'll give it a few weeks to get stable. Glad its a success, nice encouragement for Sorny on their 'embrace other platforms' stratagem.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

aWall posted:

loading screen retry would not be as frustrating if it didnt somehow require 64% GPU and 28% CPU utilization. My fans are screaming!

Cool game, but maybe I'll give it a few weeks to get stable. Glad its a success, nice encouragement for Sorny on their 'embrace other platforms' stratagem.

I had to set a hard limit so my loading screen didn’t run at like 550 fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

Since I have only been in solo play today but still Doing My Part in defensive missions I can confirm that the "kill 120 robots" blitz mission is easy up through very hard. Meanwhile the "rescue VIPs" mission is goddamned impossible even on lower difficulties because the waves of enemies are absolutely endless and there's no good funneling system since you have to be running around opening shelters.

Mortars and turrets are you friends here. We did one tonight on challenging where we had 6 mortar strategems between all 4 of us.

One of us only fired their gun 1 time. They got like 30 kills.