Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I have to give a shout-out here to Smoky Stover, which is a fascinating read. The contrast between the relatively dull core jokes/writing and the immense visual ingenuity of the background gags and cartooning is really interesting!

Tinkersons... I can't figure out if I like it, but it's kind of fascinating? It's weird to read the beats of a family gag strip where nobody's wisecracking. There's a weird flattened affect to the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Vargo posted:

Breaking Cat News

The Gocomics comments on this one are full of people agreeing that sriracha, buffalo sauce, and any hot sauce in general are terrible, and that ranch and honey mustard are the only acceptable sauces. In case you were wondering who the audience was for Rose Is Rose's "eating one jalapeño slice makes you a daring rebel" gags.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Powered Descent posted:

Challenge: everybody pick a comic that you're glad is being posted even though it doesn't get mentioned much! (We ALL have some low-key favorites.)

Pickles is consistently charming and a breath of fresh air from some of the bitter married relationships of other strips.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I love Hagar the Horrible, there I said it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Hagar is weirdly good now! I was surprised too.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Powered Descent posted:

Challenge: everybody pick a comic that you're glad is being posted even though it doesn't get mentioned much! (We ALL have some low-key favorites.)

Sally Forth and old Flash Gordon

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Pluggers is good. Consistent goofy art, relatively benign and wholesome, tries to tell a joke. If nothing else it's a benevolent average, handily beating the bad half of the thread.

I also enjoy Haggar a lot, I too will say it.

Modern Garfield occasionally tells a real joke and doesn't copy paste the art and I can't help but still associate fond nostalgia with it when it does.

Mandrake is baffling at the best of times but still oozes peculiar charm and even solid gags.

I'm not really a fan but I respect Sally Forth.

Curtis is weird and a little bad often but it's good at heart and on-and-off genuinely good.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Schwarzwald posted:

old Flash Gordon

:haibrow:

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Most of my favorites get mentioned fairly often (Arlo & Janis, the new Flash, Slylock Fox), so I'll say that I enjoy Our Boarding House. I was largely unaware of the comic and its cultural impact before it showed up here, and it's an interesting artifact of the era.

I also like the new Hagar strips, and I enjoy Tinkersons when it's about the sales directors being nuts or the son's teacher messing with him.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Anyone who's been part of the thread for a long enough time already knows my fondness for Pogo, so I'm glad we're getting another pass at it.

Anyway, it's A Sketchy Life, and it's a very special number, because my hero Fred G Cooper did all the theme cartoons in this issue! So of course this is the one without a scan of the cover. This is the Vaudeville number, by the way. (February 16, 1928, and please respect my restraint that I stopped at nine of these.)

Don't applaud, just throw money.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Crab Dad posted:

100% comics first Ace.

I bet someone could squeeze an entire master's thesis out of comparing and contrasting Jughead and Wimpy. They both fill the roll of half sidekick - half comic foil. Yet Wimpy has had affairs with everyone up to and including the Sea Hag in a really non-sexual comic, while Jughead flees from girls in the horniest comic of the 1940s.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I never skip Everyday Movies. It's such a fantastic glimpse into the 1930s - the fashion, the slang, how people's lives have changed, and how they've stayed the same.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've said it a few times, but I always like Dark Side of the Horse. It's not super deep, but it's a bad pun comic that delivers on the bad pun every time and they always rate somewhere between a smirk and a guffaw.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Bruceski posted:

I've said it a few times, but I always like Dark Side of the Horse. It's not super deep, but it's a bad pun comic that delivers on the bad pun every time and they always rate somewhere between a smirk and a guffaw.

On a similar note, Andertoons is a fuckin delight whenever it's here, it has probably the highest hit percentage of all the single-panel strips and it's amazing how they keep comingup with new jokes for "guy looks at a graph" setup.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Vargo posted:

On a similar note, Andertoons is a fuckin delight whenever it's here, it has probably the highest hit percentage of all the single-panel strips and it's amazing how they keep comingup with new jokes for "guy looks at a graph" setup.

Yeah, I like most of the single-panel gag strips, but Andertoons is the most consistent (and also the least derivative of the Far Side, which some of the others are very visibly so).

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Of the stuff that I've been enjoying that I haven't mentioned recently (and that I can actually remember right now, because there's certainly far more than just the following); I like Dark Side of the Horse trying as hard as it does when it doesn't really need to; Footrot Flats is a well-drawn window into a very unfamiliar place to me; Modern Prince Val is something I like at least as much as the original because the art's still quite good, the writing's nice, and I'm 500% less likely to see something Very Fifties happen; and I don't read Our Boarding House every time but when I do I'm inevitably baffled by SOMETHING someone's said that I'm sure no living human being could've come up with off their cuff. Finally, I really do like this second shot at Pogo you've gifted me - the pacing is different from my grandpa's terribly abused old paperbacks; not only are there some strips that seem to have been skipped in the books, now and then a beat lands differently because he outright drew new material for the collections to make things flow smoother.
Also I'm utterly bemused that Archie apparently created the B.S.C./Baby Sitter's Club in 1949... six years before Ann M. Martin was born. Deeply suspicious.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Andertoons, Dark Side of the Horse and Take it from the Tinkersons for me.

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Weembles posted:

I bet someone could squeeze an entire master's thesis out of comparing and contrasting Jughead and Wimpy. They both fill the roll of half sidekick - half comic foil. Yet Wimpy has had affairs with everyone up to and including the Sea Hag in a really non-sexual comic, while Jughead flees from girls in the horniest comic of the 1940s.

Thimble Theatre is mostly what I expected "comic Popeye" to be but I was completely caught of guard by how much of an anime harem protagonist Wimpy is. He's had a monster girl at every other port!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, I like most of the single-panel gag strips, but Andertoons is the most consistent (and also the least derivative of the Far Side, which some of the others are very visibly so).

On the other hand, when F-Minus hits, it hits hard. I think that's the comic that I wind up reposting to my social media the most.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I greatly appreciate this thread's strip-a-day pacing as a way to finally see why Krazy Kat has been so highly praised by artists. I also notice that Little Nemo is out of the period where every strip needs to be spoiler-tagged. I had been skipping it, because it is kind of a high-effort read, but I've resumed now and I like what I've returned to. Modern Hägar the Horrible is way better than I would have expected it to be.

Just like a real comics page, I don't read everything that's here, but I'm grateful to everyone who posts strips.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (June 24-28, 2005)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

99% of my lifetime fabric store visits were getting dragged along with mom as a kid. I never got waffle cones out of it. :rip:

Powered Descent posted:

I could easily post half the thread, but to try avoiding repeating what's already been mentioned:
-Toonerville. I like the window into a bygone era that's also consistently pretty funny(ignoring the unfortunate existance of Aunt Eppie), and I appreciate that the adults are often more than happy to sit back and let the kids get up to hijinks. Maybe someday we'll figure out what happened to the trolley.
-Pickles is low-key, but generally funny and not as boomer-pandering as you'd expect a Comic About Old People to be.
-I wouldn't say Get Fuzzy is consistently gold, but I'm glad it's getting posted all the same.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Like I said before, the Wandering Culinarian didn't grab me as Demons did... but I didn't skip a single comic.

And while I'm at it, adding my love for We Are Reproducing. Like a fellow poster said, the lack of prudishness is refreshing, and it's very earnest.

Confession of worrying laziness: I wish Stephen Collins' comics were more suited to the vertical phonereading format. I know they're really good, but I often skip over them because I don't feel like turning my phone.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Bongo Bill posted:

I also notice that Little Nemo is out of the period where every strip needs to be spoiler-tagged. I had been skipping it, because it is kind of a high-effort read, but I've resumed now and I like what I've returned to.

Unfortunately, this is just a brief period. Little Nemo will go through periods without the Imp character, but it remains throughout the series. We still have a couple more strip before it goes back.
The big tragedy of the whole thing is that the character adds absolutely nothing to the strip. The art is great, I just wish McCay dropped the character.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
I can't believe no one has said Ballard Street is their favorite! What has this thread come to?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 18, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

i like Dark Side of the Horse :)

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

You're not fooling anybody, Dethany.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I really like Take It With the Tinkersons. It's got a good sense of timing to when to switch up the jokes that poo poo never gets old. And the drama whenever the dad's company gets a new sales director is just :perfect:

1970s Spidey is also really good. It's interesting in that there's this sense of tension that Peter's life is always on the brink of some disaster that modern Newspaper Spidey has moved away from.

And I can't forget to mention Hagar the Horrible. It's been a pleasant surprise how much Hagar loves his wife and kids especially when you look at his comic contemporaries.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
I never ever scroll past Everyday Movies. The art is excellent, and the gags are good, plus it's much more a window into its particular context than many other historical comics are.

Similarly with Our Boarding House, and while the patter feels a lot more artificial, it's artificial in a Marx Brothers kind of way which I dig.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Haifisch posted:

I have been watching these 'Computoon: Origins' posts with keen interest, hoping to see how it got from a bad but comprehensible gag panel strip to the incoherent digital palimpsest that drives men mad we know and love today.

Over the most recently posted few strips, I've been sensing that we might be at the beginning of that transition. Today's is actually a little less disconcerting — although, what is "a flat view of the world", exactly? And this book, Internet World Travels: what is that? What does Boyce imagine its contents to be?

But there's a joke there, just a joke that depends on non-existent idioms, books, and activities to work.

It can be hard to tell if Boyce is losing his grip on reality, since even at his most intelligible, he never understood the subject of his work to begin with. (And was never a great artist.) But again: a few times recently I've been getting hints of that "Are you OK, Charles?" feeling. Not all the time, but I feel like he has begun to faintly hear the scratching in the walls, now and then.

Is it just me?

I mean, on the one hand, there was this one:

Haifisch posted:

That's actually funny! You have to imagine a world in which there are 'Electronic Christmas Trees' pop-up shops, and what they call an electronic Christmas tree is a complete desktop computer that happens to be displaying a picture of a Christmas tree at the moment. And yes, these computers are scattered randomly across the open ground, as if growing there in a little grove of computers. But they are computers nonetheless and not to be felled with axes! We understand all this and sympathise with the weary, middle-aged electronic Christmas tree seller who's seen it all before.

But on the other hand...

Haifisch posted:

OK, so... OK. Maybe the joke is, "Those guys at the front office! So full of hot air! And we get faxes from them sometimes during our meetings. And we can tell that they changed from hot air — literal hot air, now, not figurative, that's the joke — to helium, because their helium-filled faxes are making our fax machine float!"

Except: hot air also floats. That is indeed why helium might be substituted for it. So... didn't the fax machine always float? If so, why the surprise? Can this guy really tell the difference between floating caused by hot air and floating caused by helium??

Also: surely Boyce is thinking of 'head office' — those know-nothing fat cats upstairs — not 'the front office', as the obvious target for this kind of gag.

Also, and worse: if that fax machine is 'For Front Office Use Only', why is it here, in the meeting room where clearly Front Office isn't? Unless this is Front Office, in which case, why is the guy saying "the front office" and not "we"? Unless he is visiting Front Office for this meeting with them — but if this is Front Office, the joke ("Ho ho, those guys are so full of hot air!") doesn't work at all. Why would they receive a fax from themselves?

Unless they're sending a fax, in which case we are to understand that either literal hot air or literal helium is used somehow by this fax machine when in operation, and figurative 'hot air' has nothing to do with the situation, in which case there is no joke, and this is just mad nonsense, but mad nonsense that deceptively resembles a joke.

You see what I mean? There is the sense of a joke in this one, but it simply disintegrates if you try to 'get' it.

And then there's...

Haifisch posted:

What? What???

I know better than to try to unravel this one. This is an early glimpse, I believe, of the Compu-Toon Abyss; the sanity-destroying, Lovecraftian madness that is to come.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Charles Boyce's comics are like transcribed dreams, hastily penned sleep brain nonsense caught on a notepad on the nightstand, and then drawn in the day without a second of re-examination.

I like your attempts to rationalize them, though. Reminds me of that podcast with Seanbaby guesting to try and understand Compu-toon.

edit: god drat it, they're such earworms. Bionic glasses?! Not only are they not a thing, them being bionic has nothing to do with the presumably intended joke of a man not having his glasses on and thinking he sees the dog on the couch. And the caption says "Herbert" but it's clearly the wife who is gesticulating for him to get off the furniture, which is a chair, not a couch. AAARGH!

If you must have a tortured tech reference because you're apparently terrified the passionate Compu-toon fans will burn you in effigy otherwise, might as well just call them Computer Glasses or Internet Glasses. Hell, do a stupid joke about a man's Google Glass or Apple VR Goggles being left in the living room, and the dog's master chiding the dog from the other room, because with a little willful misunderstanding of the tech, you can pretend they act as surveillance equipment.

I love Compu-toon

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Feb 19, 2024

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Breadmaster posted:

I can't believe no one has said Ballard Street is their favorite! What has this thread come to?

I protest! I almost always champion it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

There are many strips ITT I've been enjoying over the last few months I have been checking out these threads. In no specific order of preference:

Prince Valiant
Modesty Blaise
New Flash Gordon
Old Flash Gordon
Wallace the Brave
Phoebe and her Unicorn
Corto Maltese
Blueberry
Thimble Theatre (original)
Little Nemo

Sometimes even other strips like Mutts (my heart grew three sizes when Guard Dog and the little girl were finally together), Hagar the Horrible, Invisible Scarlet, Brenda Starr, and Mexikid catch my attention.

Thank you all those involved for keeping it going!

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Feb 19, 2024

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Dandi

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/18/04

Brenda Starr 8/31/52

Smokey Stover 11/15/59

Everyday Movies 4/5/37

"I'm not a Communist but I do love Russian food."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 2/28/43

Scarlet, I don't think anyone would blame you if you just let this guy die.

Closer Than We Think! 11/15/59

"Gamma knife" surgery is still a thing, although it's mostly used for brain and spine surgery where it's too risky to cut in; it certainly hasn't replaced regular surgery.

Bonus Ad! The International Harvester Corporation takes out a nearly full-page ad to let you know how much they hate their workers!

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

I warned you about compu-toon bro!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

That said, Piro clearly does have real problems.

I... don't really hate this? Say what you want about Bernice, but at least she isn't hanging all over him and trying to tell him goofy jokes or drag him on some adventure he clearly isn't interested in. Also, it's totally weird and creepy that the Evanses seem to be trying to make Luann and his cousin vie for his affections.

Does Piro have any kind of actual backstory that we know of? Or are we just supposed to take it at face value that he's had a troubled life because he's broody and wears all black and has a star shaved into his head (which I guess in Luann means he's a "tortured artiste")?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

I... don't really hate this?

no! stop! this is luann! you have to hate this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Tinkersons is OK. I personally think that the teacher coming up with creative ways to get Tillman (?) to do his work was cute at first but has gotten one note.

The art is....eh.