Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Needs a joke about the modern fps guy waiting for the red jam to go away and the classic fps guy shoving medkits into his mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I object to the "use only 2 weapons" thing in a way that might qualify as pathological. Other than that, spot on

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The two weapons is crazy accurate, please dont look into my time spent playing Doom 2 and what weapons I use

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Timelink is 14:40 for Doom 3

Digitalfoundry did a video on Nvidia's new RTX HDR for videos, which has a mod to be enabled in games. It turns out you can also change something in the control panel to play OpenGL games with it, so Alex tried Doom 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BditFs3VR9c&t=880s

I'm jealous, I don't have an OLED HDR monitor but I imagine it looks amazing with Doom 3, the dark atmosphere and sharp stencil shadows are perfect for HDR

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Barudak posted:

The two weapons is crazy accurate, please dont look into my time spent playing Doom 2 and what weapons I use

me, wise: you should be using every weapon except that worthless loving pistol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

No really, I can't think of a single game retro or throwback for me that's true for. At all. I literally can't wrap my head around it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

me, wise: you should be using every weapon except that worthless loving pistol

It always annoys me when decino treats using the regular chaingun like it’s cursed or something. It’s a good weapon!

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

HolyKrap posted:

Digitalfoundry did a video on Nvidia's new RTX HDR for videos, which has a mod to be enabled in games. It turns out you can also change something in the control panel to play OpenGL games with it, so Alex tried Doom 3

I'm jealous, I don't have an OLED HDR monitor but I imagine it looks amazing with Doom 3, the dark atmosphere and sharp stencil shadows are perfect for HDR

I can’t believe they did this for Doom 3, but not for FEAR. Cmon, Digital Foundry, don’t make me get a new monitor.

Arivia posted:

It always annoys me when decino treats using the regular chaingun like it’s cursed or something. It’s a good weapon!

It’s a swell weapon - great for tap-sniping, passable for dispatching sub-archvile tough monsters, and good at stunlocking individual revenants and crowd control of smaller monsters by triggering their pain states so they can’t mob you. No, its DPS isn’t remotely what the plasma gun can spray, but that’s not what it’s for. Its biggest problem is that you can’t carry that much ammo for it at a time, but in terms of managing tension and forcing you to think analytically and manage your assets well, that’s practically a feature. It’s very deliberately considered.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 17, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The chaingun runs out of ammo too fast imo

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

Before I understood pain states in Doom I thought the chaingun was crap because it was just pistol damage but faster. Now I get that it's very useful for keeping a lot of monsters from attacking. Ammo is still a problem though (but not nearly to the extent of the Quake II chaingun. Thing runs out of ammo in like 5 seconds)

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

HolyKrap posted:

For games that don't already support Win11 Auto HDR, SpecialK can often be used to shim older games to use a modern render target and enable its own kind of HDR retrofit. I've used it to good effect in some older games. The main issue is that a lot of older games tended to use #FFFFFF in their UI elements and that gets mapped to the brightest possible HDR value (by necessity - it is the brightest SDR value after all) so it can be hit and miss UI-wise. Does this new RTX thing do anything differently or is it a similar thing?

edit: I haven't watched the video yet, guess I should do that

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Angry_Ed posted:

Before I understood pain states in Doom I thought the chaingun was crap because it was just pistol damage but faster. Now I get that it's very useful for keeping a lot of monsters from attacking. Ammo is still a problem though (but not nearly to the extent of the Quake II chaingun. Thing runs out of ammo in like 5 seconds)

That's a good thing if you're on the receiving end lol. God that weapon shreds anything within 50 feet

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's the sound. Makes everyone underestimate it.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

anilEhilated posted:

It's the sound. Makes everyone underestimate it.

One of many reasons why the Doom 2 weapon set in Final Doomer is an underappreciated gem, for making the chaingun sound as powerful as it should.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oh yeah the doom 64 one sounds great

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Volte posted:

For games that don't already support Win11 Auto HDR, SpecialK can often be used to shim older games to use a modern render target and enable its own kind of HDR retrofit. I've used it to good effect in some older games. The main issue is that a lot of older games tended to use #FFFFFF in their UI elements and that gets mapped to the brightest possible HDR value (by necessity - it is the brightest SDR value after all) so it can be hit and miss UI-wise. Does this new RTX thing do anything differently or is it a similar thing?

edit: I haven't watched the video yet, guess I should do that
I imagine it's smarter than Auto HDR for HUD elements seeing as it also improves darker colors. But it turns out this requires WDDM 3.1 so it doesn't even work on W10 at the moment :(

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
specialk is nice, i use it with basically everything that isn't a multi game that uses anti cheat

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Sorry guys, try as I might I'll just never really like the Chaingun, it just doesn't have the oomph of the rest of the arsenal and can't scale up to bigger threats as well as the others. While it is good at triggering painstates, it can only lock down one enemy at a time and its overall time to kill against mid tier foes is too long, in a hectic situation its not ideal when you need to kill things quick, even against revenants their counterattack quirk can create issues if you break off them for a second.

The best use for the Chaingun, I've always thought, is against hitscanners, fight fire with fire! In that case their health is low enough that the Chaingun's relatively low damage output doesn't matter and you can clear them up quick. Meanwhile its proclivity for pain states, usefulness at almost any range and the fact that you can hoover up dropped chainguns and ammo clips to keep firing continuously is very good for keeping big groups of Sergeants and Chaingunners locked down with minimum risk to yourself.

Apart from that, its also useful for picking off Cacodemons from a distance or holding down Pain Elementals so they can't spawn Lost Souls, but in those cases I always really feel the weakness of the weapon and it feels like it can take five hours to kill those guys.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 18, 2024

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"Only uses two weapons" is probably the most accurate part of that for me because I stick with one weapon (pretty much always the shotgun) and only swap out when I run low on ammo. Or you could count starting with the basic shotgun and then running with the game's super shotgun as the two weapons.

And yeah chaingun is for triggering pain states or sniping.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
What I’m hearing is that chaingun could use like a powerful alt attack. Like the ability to fire grenades at something while you have it staggered in place.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

skasion posted:

What I’m hearing is that chaingun could use like a powerful alt attack. Like the ability to fire grenades at something while you have it staggered in place.

An underslung grenade launcher for a slightly faster-firing chaingun is change I’d like to see in the world. What would be the best way to create such a thing that’d work across a wide range of source ports?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Hasturtium posted:

An underslung grenade launcher for a slightly faster-firing chaingun is change I’d like to see in the world. What would be the best way to create such a thing that’d work across a wide range of source ports?

There isn’t.

You can easily speed up the chaingun with a simple Dehacked patch that should work everywhere, but adding a grenade launcher isn’t possible. If you control the maps you could do it Aliens TC style where the rocket launcher pickup was always on top of the chaingun and the sprites looked the same, but they’re still two separate weapons. There are port-specific ways it can be done for GZDoom and probably 1-2 others.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Beautiful Doom has a weapon mode (between untouched vanilla weapon stats and fully modded weapons) that tweaks the arsenal and adds additional features, like being able to fire the super shotgun's barrels separately for a quick double-tap. The chaingun gets an alt-fire mode that drastically speeds up its ROF.

I never use it but it sounds like some of you sickos might benefit from it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What’s the advantage of double tapping with the super shotgun if firing both barrels at once does the same thing faster? Or am I misunderstanding how it works?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

chaosapiant posted:

What’s the advantage of double tapping with the super shotgun if firing both barrels at once does the same thing faster? Or am I misunderstanding how it works?

It's hard to explain but sometimes you want to quickly dust a couple of mooks that are too far apart for a single blast to kill them both, but it gets them faster than the pump action will.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

There's lots of scenarios where a shotgun is preferable to the super shotgun so being able to use both firing modes without the delay of weapon swapping would be cool.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah the option complements the arsenal nicely without messing things up too bad or feeling redundant. It's not like the super shotgun was previously hurting for purpose, but it makes it more versatile without eclipsing the pump action's usefulness.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm pretty fond of the chaingun, honestly. I wouldn't object to it firing a little faster or dealing a little more damage, but I find it useful against up to mid-tier enemies. I really like it against pain elementals, if you get up in their face you can stunlock them, and then adjust yourself to keep the pain elemental between you and other enemies as a shield. The chaingun's biggest problem I think is one that only really came up as the skill level got higher, is that it's not super useful against mixed hordes. It'll rip through a bunch of zombies and imps, but throw a few barons in there and it'll start to struggle a bit, especially once you start hitting hundreds of enemies in an encounter. I think having a bit of breathing room to pick your targets is ideal for it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In "normal" maps its great at locking down an arachnotron as well. Its a great sniping weapon too and I use it to deal with remotely placed revenants all the time.

Its just, you know, clearly a situational gun with a little less oomph per ammo than the ssg which allows that to be more of a workhorse.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The ammo efficiency is Doom is slightly borked imo; sure some of it is cultural/historical such as how much shotgun ammo is dropped vs bullets, but some of it is baked in; like a hundred loving rockets, seriously?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Every shooter should let you carry a hundred rockets.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I always liked how the Doom novels explained away the rocket thing by saying the rockets were the size of D-cell batteries

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Mythbusters should have considered ammo weight when they had a guy strap on a dozen guns and run an obstacle course

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

anilEhilated posted:

Every shooter should let you carry a hundred rockets.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Fr, Doom treating the rocket launcher as just another tool in your arsenal instead of something with ammo so rare you'll never use it is one of the best things about the game.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I might like the RL the most of the arsenal tbh. I love the splatter of gibbed enemies so much

Anyway I like the chain gun because it's great against low enemies who aren't clumped enough to justify ssg, rockets or wasting my plasma shots

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mordja posted:

Fr, Doom treating the rocket launcher as just another tool in your arsenal instead of something with ammo so rare you'll never use it is one of the best things about the game.

The annoying thing is it drops ammo in undersized quantities versus its damage and total capacity. The small size is 1 and the big size is 5 when all other "large" pickups restock you from zero to 100% in 4-8 pickups, so the rocket takes 20 of them, even though, again, its a fairly consistently useable weapon.

The chain gun ammo boxes should contain 75 as well, I will die on this mathematical hill.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I wish any of the Doom arsenal had some sort of piecing effect. Looking squarely at you plasma gun.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
pretty sure the ssg does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

And maybe we can add elemental damage and life leech too just so we can continue to improve the best arsenal in video games