Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Convenient that they had those gas logs installed in the middle of that hangar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Ok the reveal is great. They set it to stupid music, but that's a fun resolve

Did you skip ahead? lol

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

This show is like Lethal Weapon if both cops were Riggs

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lmfao what a ******** ending

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

A little, yeah once it became just a chill session while the guy they've been hunting was tied up.

Show felt sabotaged by being put under the True Detective banner. Nailed the final reveal imo, which makes up for a lot of the shows sins. That said, the convenient recording of scientist guy confessing about the pollution and weird "Narvarro is a spirit now" felt pretty contrived. As were the inclusions of the True Detective spiral, which is clearly and annoyingly just tacked on.

I appreciate that the inclusions weren't as heavy handed as Woody Harrelson showing up, but having the guy do the "Time is a Flat Circle" bit didn't feel very natural. I guess they were going for that stuff just being a small religion/philosophy of the True Detective world, but we didn't get enough of Clark to make that not feel pointless.

Noticeably meh action scenes. Every tense set piece (them chasing guy in a frozen boat, chasing guy in ice caves) all just got undercut after only a minute of tenseness followed by a lot of sitting around.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
that was dumber than even my dumbest theorycrafting

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So that smiling sandwich tutorial guy who was so merry and carefree was an accessory to murder and all those boring-rear end dudes doing laundry etcetera were living out a vow of silence about killing someone with their bare hands?

Or are we to infer that only some of the scientists from that time are still there in episode one and there were a bunch of new people who didn’t know about the murder?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

dogshit season lol good riddance

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

My issue is the narrative seems to paint the blue collar worker women were in the right. Which uh. What?

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

That was some of the Truest Detectiving I've ever seen.

Everyone should be aware of the dangers of a scientist stab rush, it's very common when you damage their stupid science toys.

Night Country Season Two, when?

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

koolkal posted:

To be clear, are you saying that YouTube lowers visibility on their videos to appease China? Because that's quite a take.

lol youtube is officially banned in China but let that poster have their schizoid delusion

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that woman was wrong to vandalize her boyfriend’s lab/life work.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
That was terrible but I did like that the reveal was something no one even came close to guessing.

I didn’t hate the ride at least.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

No see scientists like pollutants, it makes their science go faster so they can drill baby, drill. Faster.

And the main thing they were worried about was keeping their jerbs, which only worked if they kept approving the environmental impact studies they wrote for their employer, the mine.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
now that the final episode has aired i am glad i no longer have to keep my identity — the True Detective — a secret

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I didn't hate that finale. I thought it was one of the stronger episodes. But overall ... woof. I liked this season more than most and I still didn't particularly enjoy it.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

noooo that was so bad lmao what a dogshit train wreck of a show

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

fullroundaction posted:

That was terrible but I did like that the reveal was something no one even came close to guessing.

Goons in this thread called the three fingered lady being an accessory pretty early.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

When an I-5 Snownado strikes at most it leaves a half inch of snow though it knocks down power and severs fiber optic connections.

The people who deal with snow just go out at zero dark thirty on New Year's Eve to clear it up just as fast as it's coming down.

If you're stuck at a remote research station, absolutely don't get into one of the Suburbans or Excursions in the parking lot and start the engine to keep warm, that won't work, the Snownado has cut power to those as well.

Just start a hobo fire in a garage, this is the smart move.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Yeah but no one thought anything like this went down.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I laughed and giggled at the most inappropriate times during this finale. What a hilarious way to wrap everything up. I love it. It's awful.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

fullroundaction posted:

People have been theorizing it was the fingers lady/the cleaners since the first episode. They just didn’t expect it to be done this stupidly.

I actually thought the first 20 minutes were maybe the best the show has been all season.
Shame about the rest.

Shallow politics, shallow virtue signaling (a term I loving hate, but this, this is virtue signaling), shallow writing, shallow callbacks, shallow ending.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Know, know, you see: The evil mine pollution makes science buffs research faster. They were mining tiberium.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Conrad_Birdie posted:

People have been theorizing it was the fingers lady/the cleaners since the first episode. They just didn’t expect it to be done this stupidly.

I actually thought the first 20 minutes were maybe the best the show has been all season.
Shame about the rest.

Shallow politics, shallow virtue signaling (a term I loving hate, but this, this is virtue signaling), shallow writing, shallow callbacks, shallow ending.

Don't forget shallow character development

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I really liked this show but I am very receptive to shows about how being overcommitted to work is a horrible and destructive force.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Forget it, Jake. It's Night Country.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

around episode 3 I was thinking this'll be one of those shows where you can watch the first and last episodes and miss nothing and yep

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I AM GRANDO posted:

So that smiling sandwich tutorial guy who was so merry and carefree was an accessory to murder and all those boring-rear end dudes doing laundry etcetera were living out a vow of silence about killing someone with their bare hands?

Or are we to infer that only some of the scientists from that time are still there in episode one and there were a bunch of new people who didn’t know about the murder?

They mentioned in like episode 2 that nobody ever rotated out and all those guys have been there for years so yeah, they're all just ruthless who were totally okay with murdering a lady and never talking about it.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

‘True Detective: Night Country’ Just Gave the Series Its Best Finale Ever - Rolling Stone

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

muscles like this! posted:

They mentioned in like episode 2 that nobody ever rotated out and all those guys have been there for years so yeah, they're all just ruthless who were totally okay with murdering a lady and never talking about it.

They were obsessed with their job because they thought it was the most important thing in the world and they had no outside friends.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

And they really liked that hosed up DVD of Fenris Buhler's day off where it looped the parade scene, they'd leave that on for hours as background noise to their science making.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I only caught up last night and haven’t been following the thread or any episode recaps- I had a really tough time following the shows logic when it came to the actual investigation- what led to this witness, what led them from there to this conclusion, and so on. Was the show unusually bad at this; or was I just not paying enough attention? I’m open to it being the latter

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
This would have been totally fine as like a Netflix show that you can binge all at once without thinking too hard about it. Being on hbo, called true detective, week by week did it a disservice.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

DaveKap posted:

I laughed and giggled at the most inappropriate times during this finale. What a hilarious way to wrap everything up. I love it. It's awful.
I wanted to get down everything I laughed at.

I laughed so hard at them trying to shoehorn "time is a flat circle" into this when it's just the dude being cracked out of his mind.
I laughed at the Twist and Shout cover as Danvers is crying. Another horrible pin drop.
I laughed at Pete's wife doing the "I'm so mad at you, make out with me" trope.
I laughed at the idea that they needed to put pollution into the water to make the permafrost melt at just the right temperature to get their miracle bacteria.
I laughed at the idea that these nerds would all decide at once to kill someone but maybe that's just me being too naïve about the... murderous tendencies of scientists?
I laughed at the old lady telling Pete "you think this is over but actually the worst is the rest of your life" followed by patting him on the back. Real comforting lady. Thanks.
I laughed at the idea that the city has a network of women who all spied on their employers and decided to enact their own justice because gently caress the cops.
I laughed when the lady basically said she forced a bunch of naked men to run into sub-zero temperatures "but if nature wanted them to live, they could just come back and get their clothes!" I don't know how much closer to "it wasn't me who killed them, it was the bullet!" you can get.
"If you go out there, make sure to come back." Literally asking her that when she kills herself, come back to haunt me. Pfft!
"I don't think anyone will find Navarro out there on the ice." Yeah because she's under it. Hah!

Other things:
- Navarro shot Wheeler. OK. Did it matter? Nope!
- In the moment, it didn't make sense that this guy saying he loved Annie, who was physically recoiling at hearing her death rattle, would be the perfect target for torture. After the fact, it made more sense, but nothing about what he said prior to spilling the beans made it seem like it should've worked on him. If anything, I feel like it would've shut him up more. This is just a nitpick though.
- There's a moment where Danvers is walking away from the campfire Navarro is sitting at in a wide shot and the fire suddenly begins animating backwards then forwards again. Weird rear end editing that threw me off because the rest of the frame is moving at normal speed. So weird.
- When Navarro is walking through the blizzard to see her... I dunno... sister? Mother? Whoever. The day-for-night and/or blue-screening because they couldn't record her in a blizzard was really awful editing.
- It sure seems odd that they tried to make a connection between the power going out in both the Tsalal recording and Annie's death recording when it ended up meaning nothing at all.
- The obviousness in trying to parallel the end of Season 1 with Rust crying in the hospital room against Danvers trying to come to terms with the death of her son was so ineffective it made me bored.
- I wanted to suggest that the tongue was planted by Hank because he was secretly trying to get everything exposed, which would've been an amazing(ly stupid) twist I actually would've liked. Unfortunately I went back to episode 1 to check and the delivery guy found it before the cops ever went out.
- In the end, spooky stuff is real, but only a little bit of the spooky stuff. Eh... whatever.

I'm so glad this was only 6 episodes.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

joepinetree posted:

This would have been totally fine as like a Netflix show that you can binge all at once without thinking too hard about it. Being on hbo, called true detective, week by week did it a disservice.

Calling it true detective was the only way they’d get people to watch it.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Love how they set up the mine lady and Dr Who as the big bads in the 5th episode and neither shows up in the last one at all

Now the scientists are the bad guys

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007
Can one of you guys whining about goons not knowing how to watch tv please explain how I was supposed to watch that

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

pig labeled 3 posted:

Can one of you guys whining about goons not knowing how to watch tv please explain how I was supposed to watch that

You were supposed to watch it ravenously and with gusto.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

pig labeled 3 posted:

Ideally blackout drunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

"He says that he sees you. He sees you, Liz."
"...did he see me gently caress my boss?"

Sorry, ghost stories really grate my brain off because they're so loving stupid.