Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It was nice of the secret murder squad to include their one anglo friend in their midnight raid because she was their roommate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Oh my god, they were roommates

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Oh I also laughed when Danvers wished the two whitest women in the room a happy new year and pretended the rest weren't there.

This was a fantastic dark comedy!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Endings are hard and this was wasn't very good. Nothing has a satisfying resolution. I wasn't expecting a happy ending, but this ending was just confusing and rushed.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The only crossover element from season one should have been Detectives gently caress and Suck as the two interviewers at the end. I would have clapped and cheered.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Lol why would Navarro not tell danvers about the taped confession until days / weeks / months later? Like what if the phone breaks or gets lost in the interim?

Purely contrived bullshit that stands up to zero scrutiny.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Sickening posted:

Endings are hard and this was wasn't very good. Nothing has a satisfying resolution. I wasn't expecting a happy ending, but this ending was just confusing and rushed.

:yeshaha:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Could we get a bit more detail on the scientists’ purported world-saving research? I feel like I wasn’t given enough information to perform the moral calculus on how many stillbirths it would actually be worth.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Lol why would Navarro not tell danvers about the taped confession until days / weeks / months later? Like what if the phone breaks or gets lost in the interim?

Purely contrived bullshit that stands up to zero scrutiny.

Isn’t it still winter when she goes off to kill herself/join the ocean goddess in her timeless realm? That scene with the stuffed bear could have happened a few days after they leave the research station.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The_Rob posted:

Calling it true detective was the only way they’d get people to watch it.

Nah, Jodie Foster alone probably would have gotten eyeballs. Definitely did juice up those numbers tho.

I don't mind the scientists keeping the secret as it's a repeated theme that this city is fragmented between different groups that are very protective of their slice and inner communities.

Multiple people inferring that her star-shaped stab wounds could have only been made by a very specific piece of equipment in the secret lab - immediately after picking it up - felt silly as hell.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the scene of the woman picking up the star shaped tool thing with the look of horror on her face lmfao

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I’m envisioning a better reality where this is just called “Night County” and it airs on Paramount+ and I don’t watch it.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

General Dog posted:

I’m envisioning a better reality where this is just called “Night County” and it airs on Paramount+ and I don’t watch it.

it belongs on The CW at best

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Did all those cleaning ladies live together in that little house

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Nah, Jodie Foster alone probably would have gotten eyeballs. Definitely did juice up those numbers tho.

I don't mind the scientists keeping the secret as it's a repeated theme that this city is fragmented between different groups that are very protective of their slice and inner communities.

Multiple people inferring that her star-shaped stab wounds could have only been made by a very specific piece of equipment in the secret lab - immediately after picking it up - felt silly as hell.

Jodie foster was Def a selling point for me checking this season out, but if I heard about a show called night detective on Netflix with her. I probably would have just went. Oh that’s neat and never watched it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

the scene of the woman picking up the star shaped tool thing with the look of horror on her face lmfao

Yeah I really hung up on that; there’s a weird causal loop in the presentation where that discovery was what caused them to steal and examine the police file, but prior knowledge of the police file is the only thing that makes that a meaningful discovery.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The scientists did have a full-color report down there at their murder scene, six years later, with photos of Annie and a close-up of the drill head and the hole it makes on facing pages. The two detectives don’t see it, but the cleaners do.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Do we know whether this was originally supposed to be longer than 6 episodes and got whittled down in the edit?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Navarro and Danvers are struggling to stay warm. They both wander out into an Alaskan blizzard. Danvers falls through the ice. Suddenly the fire that was struggling to keep them for freezing to death is strong enough to thaw out a soaking wet person and prevent them from dying.

Okay.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

General Dog posted:

Yeah I really hung up on that; there’s a weird causal loop in the presentation where that discovery was what caused them to steal and examine the police file, but prior knowledge of the police file is the only thing that makes that a meaningful discovery.

Oh wait, is that a police file they’re looking at in that scene? I thought it was also down in the secret science room as well.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Doltos posted:

Navarro and Danvers are struggling to stay warm. They both wander out into an Alaskan blizzard. Danvers falls through the ice. Suddenly the fire that was struggling to keep them for freezing to death is strong enough to thaw out a soaking wet person and prevent them from dying.

Okay.

When did they find the car they left the station in? Did it have a heater?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

They could have very easily done the mob justice explanation in a way that wasn't.... cracked? Did the scientist killing confession need the forced girl power vibe? Did these random extra's need a story line? Did they really need lines at all? Extra's monologuing ... leads to very predictable results.

This feel like it the last episode was affected by the writers strike and a producer just kind of typed out some pages.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

Oh wait, is that a police file they’re looking at in that scene? I thought it was also down in the secret science room as well.

I was a bit confused, but my ultimate assumption was that they had a friend who was janitor at the police station, and that’s who we see taking pictures of the file. But again, it makes no sense that would happen AFTER they discover the tool. Because without foreknowledge of the photos, it’s just a tool.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
If files aren’t laid out in a spiral on the floor it’s unreadable.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

True Detective has always had goofy elements, and that was part of the charm honestly. The worst parts of this season were the elements that lacked believability.

"We told the mine to pollute more" was the most nonsense twist in a season with a lot of nonsense . It's like if last year, a janitor at Silicon Valley Bank claimed to be responsible for the collapse of that bank.

The best I can work out is that the creators really want to portray colonialism as something independent from profits and resource extraction. It's actually all about the mindset. The white cops will turn out better after they marry into native families. The massive mining conglomerate takes orders from the isolated science outpost.

General Dog posted:

Could we get a bit more detail on the scientists’ purported world-saving research? I feel like I wasn’t given enough information to perform the moral calculus on how many stillbirths it would actually be worth.

I feel the same way as with The Last of Us. I don't believe those scientists actually could do what they said, so the bizarre moral dilemma isn't even applicable.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Final Rankings:

True Detective B+
2 True 2 Detective 2 B-
Forgetrueful Detective B-
True Detective Night Country Nights: C+

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It just felt pretty misguided to make the object of evil be The Mining Company for much of the season and then be like nope actually it's the guys in the station who everyone's going to take action against instead. I get inflammatory mob justice but why not tie more of the scientists into the show rather than them be vague props? Why even have a mining company at all? Just make the scientists have hired muscle to enforce them researching on indigenous land. Then throw in all the protesting being against them for the entire season instead of splitting the ire.

Or just get rid of the scientists all together and make it a mining outpost the women attack after one of them kills Annie K for pulling some sort of eco terrorism there. Why did this season have to be so muddled?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Where did the tongue come from, was it some goddamn ghost?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Why did rusts dad ghost point out the location of the bodies? Like what was the motive? Are there different ghost factions with different goals and interests?

And if those cleaning ladies found all that evidence of wrongdoing, surely they would have found evidence of the book cooking and leaked it? Why didn't they do more beyond just avenging annie personally? They are the ones dealing with these stillbirths, I'd think they would be most motivated to get the mine shut down.

Man the more I think about this the worse it gets. It's bad enough to make ghosts real, but to have them do these nonsensical things just to drive the plot forward...it's so pedestrian.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 19, 2024

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

General Dog posted:

I was a bit confused, but my ultimate assumption was that they had a friend who was janitor at the police station, and that’s who we see taking pictures of the file. But again, it makes no sense that would happen AFTER they discover the tool. Because without foreknowledge of the photos, it’s just a tool.

The file was still at the police station, so they took the picture soon after the crime. They did this because they like Annie and don't trust the police

The scientists, like Danvers, believed doing their job was the most important thing and were ultimately OK ruining other people's lives to do it.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The my favorite part of the whole episode was Marnie telling Pete that worst part of killing his dad was the rest of his life.

Can someone explain the voodoo murder camper to me? I accept I may have missed the connection.

Kinda stinks we never got a pay off on why Danvers phone kept going off or the Russian bride thing even if they weren’t connected.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

StumblyWumbly posted:

The scientists, like Danvers, believed doing their job was the most important thing and were ultimately OK ruining other people's lives to do it.

Was that wrong?

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Doltos posted:

Okay.
If this thread has taught me anything it’s that all Alaskans have multiple space heaters with them at all times. So the space heaters that are never shown on screen or referenced are what kept them warm. Duh.

Also. You’re bad at watching TV for noticing the fast and loose way that the show treats the cold.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The native ladies are the True Detectives.

The two things that bugged me the most:

1. The subterranean geography in general. For all 30 seconds of ice cave spelunking shown on screen, their ice cave ingress spot had to be no more than 1000 feet from the research station. Also, 30 feet from ice cave stable enough to accommodate the secret evil lab for years is deep open water covered by 1 inch of ice.

2. The extremely localized blizzard that knocked out power to Tsalal, made travel impossible except for when it didn't, left no snow on the ice, and cleared completely by midnight.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
1>>>>3>2>Night Country.

Honestly they should've just quit the series with all the accolades the first season got. Going back and rewatching the first season you can see all the dumb stuff that has become a mainstay of the series, but at that point it was fresh and cheeky and new.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Did anybody itt guess the ending, or close?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I can't believe it really was a wendigo.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Danvers had spotted a crude sketch near the equipment she pulled the tool from that tipped her off (spoilers):

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
If I wasn’t already scrolling on my phone, I would be so pissed by
(Acapella) twist and shoouuuuuuutut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

https://x.com/pauvazco/status/1759451156466618417?s=20