Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rolo posted:

I had to set a hard limit so my loading screen didn’t run at like 550 fps.

Is there a way to see what the frame rate is? I set the limit to 140 and my fans are still screamin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

CainFortea posted:

Is there a way to see what the frame rate is? I set the limit to 140 and my fans are still screamin

I do it in Steams settings, applies to all games cause I’m a weirdo that wants to look at it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

CainFortea posted:

Mortars and turrets are you friends here. We did one tonight on challenging where we had 6 mortar strategems between all 4 of us.

One of us only fired their gun 1 time. They got like 30 kills.

Yes, but as I was talking about solo mode specifically I have only one mortar turret and one gatling turret.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 19, 2024

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Nice thing about sample collection is that if you have a full 4-man team, 2 can just run around the whole map hitting every POI while the other 2 do the objectives and extract. You don't have to physically get in the shuttle to take samples with you, you just can't die while carrying them. This also means if the extraction zone is a utter clusterfuck you can just stay away and the only thing the team/you "lose" is a small exp/req bonus.

Wish it was easier to find rare/super rare samples though, the sheer quantities you need for later levels of upgrades are kind of nuts.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

sushibandit posted:

Nice thing about sample collection is that if you have a full 4-man team, 2 can just run around the whole map hitting every POI while the other 2 do the objectives and extract. You don't have to physically get in the shuttle to take samples with you, you just can't die while carrying them. This also means if the extraction zone is a utter clusterfuck you can just stay away and the only thing the team/you "lose" is a small exp/req bonus.

Wish it was easier to find rare/super rare samples though, the sheer quantities you need for later levels of upgrades are kind of nuts.

Wait so the samples don't need to get into the ship, they just can't be on the floor? That's got to be a mistake and also I'm doing it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

triple sulk posted:

loving quick play works but I'm joining one other player every single time so far

Yeah last two nights it seems to cap at 2 players for matchmaking.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yeah, having sex is pretty cool I guess. But have you tried successfully soloing a mission on Extreme? :smuggo:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Schnitzler posted:

Random matchmaking has been turned off/not working the whole weekend. A side effect of their servers being utterly overwhelmed.

rapid hitting quickplay seems to get around it

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Yeah last two nights it seems to cap at 2 players for matchmaking.

I get 4 players but only immediately after joining the server. I never get 4 players again after that initial join

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Dinosaurs! posted:

The trick last week was to throw down an SOS at the start of your mission, leave back to your ship once it deployed, and then choose a new mission (I think it had to be on the same planet) from the war map. Once you’d jumped into your pod and were on the drop zone or stratagem select screens a full party of divers would usually show up. Not sure if that still works with how much more broken things are.

this worked for me after a weekend without luck quickmatching, huge loving relief. knocked out an operation with the team I pulled, welcome change after soloing so much

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Okay so this game does not have an FPS limiter built in.

Was getting insane temps specifically at the loading/end of mission screens (when it pans back to your ship) with FPS in the hundreds and it was force shutting down my PC.

Set a limiter on the GPU settings and it runs perfectly on highest settings :psyduck:.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Debating whether to go ps5 or pc for this, suspect that my 4 year old laptop might struggle with it so leaning towards ps5. Does it work well enough on controller? And how easy is it for ps5 players to join premades with people playing on pc where you can't invite over steam?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Am I missing something about the Diligence? I keep seeing people saying it's good for weak points on bots, but man I aim directly at a berserker or devastator's face and shoot him five times and accomplish exactly nothing every time. Like my aim isn't great but even if I go into ADS and stand still and perfectly line up my shots it just doesn't seem to do a drat thing

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Mainwaring posted:

Debating whether to go ps5 or pc for this, suspect that my 4 year old laptop might struggle with it so leaning towards ps5. Does it work well enough on controller? And how easy is it for ps5 players to join premades with people playing on pc where you can't invite over steam?

I had to go the PS route due to an ancient computer and while I will never feel comfortable with shooters on a controller, this game is probably the least hamstrung I'll ever feel without a mouse. It has gyro support, and as a bonus the haptics are really nice.

As for crossplay, you have an in-game friend list that works through a friend code system, so joining your friends playing on PC is absolutely no issue.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

yeah I hate playing shooters on ps5 but helldivers is great. really good experience overall. only problem is being unable to unbind keys, but they'll fix that later I suppose.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Got the game yesterday and having tons of fun. I unlocked the gatling turret because I had some orders promising me medals if I killed stuff with it. The moment I called it in the very first time it mowed me down immediately. DEMOCRACY!

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Speaking of keybinds, what good tweaks can I make? I already changed run from hold to press once to save my pinky and rebinding strategem/terminal inputs to the arrow keys has helped with being able to move while calling for reinforcements. Any other hot tips?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

DoubleDonut posted:

Am I missing something about the Diligence? I keep seeing people saying it's good for weak points on bots, but man I aim directly at a berserker or devastator's face and shoot him five times and accomplish exactly nothing every time. Like my aim isn't great but even if I go into ADS and stand still and perfectly line up my shots it just doesn't seem to do a drat thing

You are doing something wrong. Because I can two/three tap them in the face and they fall over dead.

If you see the armor icon (like a shield with a deflection off of it), then you actually aren't hitting the weakpoint. Every time you shoot them in the face, you should see part of their skull break. Berserkers require a few more shots, I don't really count because I am panic shooting them as they charge me, but devastator's are two or three headshots to kill with the diligence.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I like this game a lot, but the whole fubar'd matchmaking part sucks. I can barely handle an Easy terminid mission on my own.

I just want to play the game with friends. :smith:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I think the thing that pisses me off most in the game is the random infinite holes that eat supplies and mission items. Like whatever, you hosed up the spawn rate on the scientist things and you can't buy more servers. Ok. Randomly just having insta-death holes that eat all your poo poo? What is this, loving Pitfall?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mainwaring posted:

I'm using a dual sense on PC. I will never switch to kbm it's great.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

I like this game a lot, but the whole fubar'd matchmaking part sucks. I can barely handle an Easy terminid mission on my own.

I just want to play the game with friends. :smith:

You absolutely can right now. I had multiple games where I joined in on a steam friend's game, or had someone on my steam friends join in on me.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Specifically for Marauders - the mid-size automaton walkers - the head is the primary weakpoint. You can actually 1-shot kill them with the Slugger, it's pretty legit. If you're having trouble there are other options, however.:

For Butchers (the chainsaw ones) and Basic (one gun arm) the lower center torso is a secondary weak point.

For Destroyers (missile pods) the missile pods are not armored and can be shot off fairly easily.

For whatever-the-hell the shield ones are called (shield and MG) the backpack is a weakpoint.

For all models the legs are light armor rather than medium armor, allowing you to kill with basic firearms.

Edit: Basically don't panic-fire into their chest and shoulders and you're good.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm using the JAR-5 Dominator and it is a monster against robots. Worth saving those fun bucks for premium pass. It's a bolter.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

raverrn posted:

For Butchers (the chainsaw ones) and Basic (one gun arm) the lower center torso is a secondary weak point.

Yeah, the skull on those seems to be bait. Either that or it's just a really finnicky hitbox. Cut them in half at the waist instead.

Or just hit them with 3 shots from the grenade launcher.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I got a Core(TM) i7-7700K with 24 gigs of ram and a GTX 1080 Ti, is it even worth grabbing or should I just put that 40 bucks towards my planned new computer build for this fall? :v:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Icedude posted:

Yeah, the skull on those seems to be bait. Either that or it's just a really finnicky hitbox. Cut them in half at the waist instead.

Or just hit them with 3 shots from the grenade launcher.

It's just small.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Badly Jester posted:

I had to go the PS route due to an ancient computer and while I will never feel comfortable with shooters on a controller, this game is probably the least hamstrung I'll ever feel without a mouse. It has gyro support, and as a bonus the haptics are really nice.

As for crossplay, you have an in-game friend list that works through a friend code system, so joining your friends playing on PC is absolutely no issue.

Sweet thanks. Got the game on ps5 and blasted out the tutorial before work. Servers willing I'm looking forward to spreading democracy this evening.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Anyone who has promoted the flamer as a viable strategem weapon is a fool and a charlatan. You should be cast out into the street like a damp weekly newspaper from last month. What a terrible weapon.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE posted:

Anyone who has promoted the flamer as a viable strategem weapon is a fool and a charlatan. You should be cast out into the street like a damp weekly newspaper from last month. What a terrible weapon.

It's not bad, especially against the bugs, but it's very much an "I didn't take a support weapon stratagem and haven't found anything better on the map yet" weapon.

It does seem like it's better for setting ground on fire for bugs to walk through than for actually firing directly at the bugs.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE posted:

Actually its the best weapon for killing yourself with because you took a single step too far or did a panic evasion into the fire. No other weapon can achieve this level of "goddamn it, i'm a loving idiot".

Now for killing enemies its useless and I dont understand why in a game where the shotguns can shoot peoples heads off from a mile away the flamethrower has a range of 3 feet.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Mulva posted:

I think the thing that pisses me off most in the game is the random infinite holes that eat supplies and mission items. Like whatever, you hosed up the spawn rate on the scientist things and you can't buy more servers. Ok. Randomly just having insta-death holes that eat all your poo poo? What is this, loving Pitfall?

Uh, what are these holes?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm sure most of you have seen, at least once in a while, hosed up bug model vertex glitches. ala this:

I encountered one of those to the nth degree earlier. see here-

-you see that giant, low poly orange and black triangle in the distance? That's actually some part of a bug's model that's gotten absolutely hosed up and stretched up and outwards towards the sky.
Didn't get to see it up close before the mission ended, but it was wobbling side to side and slowly moving towards us.

Unrelated, this happened on another mission:

Lots of other stuff was hosed up on that mission as well. No one could interact with terminals or pick up resupplies, so we had to wait for the "time's up" extraction, seemingly all press E prompts were broken.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

UFOTacoMan posted:

just gonna pipe in and say I've not been motivated like this to play an online game since Left 4 Dead.
RIP your servers.

real, first game in years where when I'm not playing I'm thinking about playing, hampered only a bit by matchmaking being down

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Mulva posted:

you not got eyes?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ijyt posted:

you not got eyes?

They probably saw the hole coming real good, when something ragdolled them and their loot into it. Which is the most frequent cause I have seen of people falling into them (I have had near misses, but so far so good!)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
if you fall in a hole and die you have actually bravely sacrificed your life in the cause of slapstick

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pops Mgee posted:

Need them to make paintjob skins for super destroyers asap. Can't truly bring freedom to the galaxy without a giant anime pinup lady painted on my hull.

gently caress that, I want to paint my ship, the SES Democratically Elected Leader of Pride, in a huge rainbow flag.

CuddleCryptid posted:

TBH you might be diving into intense hostile fire but the actual act of diving has a 100% success rate.

Not true. In one of my drops I saw a weird black patch on top of an ice mountain and thought that maybe it was the entrance to some cool secret area. No, it was the shortcut to dying the moment my Hellpod went into the cave. So the success rate is at best 99,9999...%, assuming I'm the only moron who tried this.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Feb 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

mrmcd posted:

Oh my god the autocannon is so loving good.

The Autocannon is great as it deals with medium stuff and has enough ammo to nail the light stuff just for shits and giggles.

It goes great...until it doesn't and you hope there's someone with EATs, Recoiless, or the homing rocket in your squad. Or, you know, hasn't burned their eagle/orbital strikes.