Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

GrandMaster posted:

Haha i know someone that does this with salmon

Samman Rushdie would just sound weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

credburn posted:

The same people who pronounce "February" as "Feb-rary" and "Library" as "Lie-berry."

The worst people.

I was saying credbu-urns

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

GrandMaster posted:

Haha i know someone that does this with salmon

He said his name was Sal Bass, Jerry! “Sal! Bass!” You know, like “Sallllman?”

The General
Mar 4, 2007

credburn posted:

The same people who pronounce "February" as "Feb-rary" and "Library" as "Lie-berry."

The worst people.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Some southern US accents are at least partially non-rhotic, which is a relic of the accents of the Brits who settled there.

Then they add Rs to words that don't have them, which I believe is called super-rhotic

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Warshington

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm intrigued by the large portions of the nation that are mystified by roly bugs. Like I get if they don't occur there, but they're pretty popular in pop culture, surely they should have at least heard of them and recognize them by a description.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Wood bugs

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Knormal posted:

I'm intrigued by the large portions of the nation that are mystified by roly bugs. Like I get if they don't occur there, but they're pretty popular in pop culture, surely they should have at least heard of them and recognize them by a description.

Lookit the tiny island of blue holding out against the great red sea.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Oh you mean baldurs? These guys?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wait, if they are crustaceans does that mean we can convince posh people to eat them? I could make a fortune cleaning out my compost bin. Organic! Free range!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hyperlynx posted:

Oh you mean baldurs? These guys?

Think of how menacing he would be if he was called a roly poly

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Man, the bugs in the states where they're called roly polies have excellent PR teams.

EDIT: And in the post below, "hog-louse" is absolutely the result of some kind of smear campaign.

Crescent Wrench has a new favorite as of 06:40 on Feb 19, 2024

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
OKay here's a kind of funny picture

I'm into butchy boy, chiggy pig, or granny grey

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've convinced several coworkers over the past 8 or so years that we call crayfish "pinch crickets" in the south.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Knormal posted:

Is my state mostly white because I have heard all three terms at some point?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's probably because that's where you live

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Laughing at cheesy bobs.

If u need 2 ask, ask!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Knormal posted:

Where I am from, we call them roly poly bugs when we're super little. Then we call them potato bugs. I don't know why we call them potato bugs. Do they eat potatoes? Are they supposed to resemble potatoes? Nobody knows.

credburn has a new favorite as of 06:56 on Feb 19, 2024

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

credburn posted:

Where I am from, we call them roly poly bugs when we're super little. Then we call them potato bugs. I don't know why we call them potato bugs. Do they eat potatoes? Are they supposed to resemble potatoes? Nobody knows.

Where I’m from (Los Angeles) Jerusalem Crickets were always called Potato Bugs. They were creatures of fear and respect when you found one at 6 years old in the yard

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Knormal posted:

We know what pillbugs are in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Map is inaccurate

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Febrananant!!??

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

PainterofCrap posted:

We know what pillbugs are in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Map is inaccurate

red + blue + green = white, hth

here's some better maps:
http://dialect.redlog.net/staticmaps/q_74.html

as you can see, "pill bug" is somewhat known p much everywhere but is only the most common usage in, apparently, a small portion of the ohio river valley

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Facebook Aunt posted:

Just for fun I like to pronounce the U in menstruation. mens tru a tion Because the spell checker kept putting a red squiggly line under it whenever I spelled it the way I pronounced it. Elementary school never taught me about no silent U. Why is it there?

To punctuate; it references the period.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i always called them roly polys in the seattle area, but i guess that could be influenced by my mother being from california. pill bug and potato bug are also cromulent

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Knormal posted:

Cable Guy has a new favorite as of 08:08 on Feb 19, 2024

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Knormal posted:

Those are just areas that feel strongly about the no snitchin' rule. Some stranger calls you up and asks "what do you call the little gray creature that looks like an insect but is actually a crustacean that rolls up into a ball when you touch it" these are the folks who answer I ain't never herd of them. Whose asking? What business is it of yours?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pill bugs / potato bugs are the ones that don’t roll into a full ball. Roly Polies roll into a ball.

They look the same and are closely related isopods. But I think that’s geographical distribution of different types of isopod reflected in different names.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah aren't there ones that do an armadillo and go into a ball and then ones that just pull a gymnast somersault? Either way they're friendly curious bugs and I'd answer a census regarding one. Mark me down, sir.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ante posted:

theyre called bench-biters in danish

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

ante posted:

Sorry, what?

Is this in reference to wood lice?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Knormal posted:

Jew's armadillo

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

A more apropos example can be found here.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlzgDVLtU6g&t=117s

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 10:38 on Feb 19, 2024

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

What is happening in this picture? I've seen it before.

edit: by which I mean, "what is the story behind this picture." I can see what's happening.

edit 2: by which I mean "the story behind this gif."

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

credburn posted:

What is happening in this picture? I've seen it before.

edit: by which I mean, "what is the story behind this picture." I can see what's happening.

edit 2: by which I mean "the story behind this gif."

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/people/supa-hot-fire

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Listen, you degenerates, the rolly bugs are called slaters, for the very obvious and logical reason that
uh
hmm

help me out here

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Some jerk in the 1800s decided so?

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Facebook Aunt posted:

Just for fun I like to pronounce the U in menstruation. mens tru a tion Because the spell checker kept putting a red squiggly line under it whenever I spelled it the way I pronounced it. Elementary school never taught me about no silent U. Why is it there?

I know this derail is going pages long and I haven’t got up to date with the thread yet, but!

I have always pronounced the u in menstruation. I have a horrible combination kiwi/Australian/Canadian accent and I work with a bunch of UK and American people so maybe I’m not a great example, but the u has always been there. Do Americans just say “menstrate? Like how you’d say “substrate”?

E: Where I grew up (Auckland region New Zealand), rolly-polly pill bugs were called slaters (slay-tahs, because non-rhotic).

Shithouse Dave has a new favorite as of 12:15 on Feb 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

credburn posted:

The worst people.

strawbrary