Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MrQwerty posted:

Better makeup than The Rock on Voyager

Funny story about that guest appearance.

He worked with Jeri Ryan for the day, he was not required for shooting a ton cause the part, as much as it was hyped up, was pretty small. The crew loved him, he was charismatic and polite.

Jeri gets back to her trailer after he's left, and he has had someone from the crew leave an autographed framed photo in there saying something like "Hey Jeri. I Smell What You're Cooking, Love The Rock"

Jeri had no idea who he was, thought he was just the guest actor of the week so she was like "How the hell did that Dwayne guy get in my trailer and why did he leave this bizarre message?" Until someone explained he was a famous wrestler and that was his catchphrase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Canonically, The Hurricane can actually fly.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

AEW should bring in Glenn Jacobs as Isaac Yankem. WWE probably didn't bother to trademark it. He could team up with Britt Baker.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Super Dan posted:

AEW should bring in Glenn Jacobs as Isaac Yankem. WWE probably didn't bother to trademark it. He could team up with Britt Baker.

glenn is a wwe loyalist, brother

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
his libertarian believes and wwe align

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol but one of the awful gimmicks vince forced glenn jacobs into before making him kane was an evil wrestling dentist

I think Isaac Yankem DDS was meant to have been lawler's personal dentist

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

someone mentioned IRS which made me think of this

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

AlmightyBob posted:

Absolute lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the show wasnt even in dc it was in new york but vince needed that clinton lookalike

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Animal-Mother posted:

Canonically, The Hurricane can actually fly.

But only when no cameras are on him. He's like the opposite of Invisible Boy from Mystery Men.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

AlmightyBob posted:

I can't

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
one time vince had two wrestlers dressed as trump and rosie and it was so bad that the crowd started chanting for TNA

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

one time vince had two wrestlers dressed as trump and rosie and it was so bad that the crowd started chanting for TNA

Lmao

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The Bill Clinton thing was weird because any other time they had an impersonator for someone like Obama they’d acknowledge it on air. But with Clinton they really wanted to people to believe that the President of the United States was in attendance and being interviewed by Todd Pettingill.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

AlmightyBob posted:

Wrestling in Clinton Years

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Hahaha

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Several years ago I got the WWE Wrestlemania collection on DVD. I think it was every Mania up to 25. It's an intersesting cultural artifact in of itself. For instance, people remember Macho Man and Steamboat and the spectacle of Andre vs. Hulkamania in 3, but it's amazing how absolutely horrible the matches are in Wrestlemania 3 - it's boring as poo poo. The back to back Manias in Atlantic city are boring dogshit. Most the early Wrestlemanias are terrible. In fact, most Wrestlemanias are bad. Wrestlemania 2 is the worst.

Come to think of it, pro wrestling is mostly garbage.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The first wrestling PPV I ever saw was Royal Rumble '93, I think, and I remember falling asleep on the couch during Bam Bam Bigelo vs. Big Boss Man and never waking up. I still haven't woken up.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I'm anxious to revisit Wrestlemania X because it was the first WM I saw and has my favourite match - HBK Vs Razor Ramon ladder match - and have no idea if the whole event holds up. :ohdear:

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Mulaney Power Move posted:

The first wrestling PPV I ever saw was Royal Rumble '93, I think, and I remember falling asleep on the couch during Bam Bam Bigelo vs. Big Boss Man and never waking up. I still haven't woken up.
The first PPV that I ever convinced my parents to get me was Wrestlemania 4. I mean it has a giant tournament to figure out who the champion will be! How could it not be good? It's not like all the best people in the tournament are going to lose immediately and end up with like Randy Savage vs One Man Gang or something stupid like... oh.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
My first PPV was Summerslam 97 when I was like 9-10. "Oh hey this Stone Cold guy looks pretty coo-.... huh, he sure is on the mat a lot after that piledriver..."

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

DeadButDelicious posted:

I'm anxious to revisit Wrestlemania X because it was the first WM I saw and has my favourite match - HBK Vs Razor Ramon ladder match - and have no idea if the whole event holds up. :ohdear:

It doesn't. It runs on that match, the opening match, maybe the final mini match if you're a Bret Hart fan, and maybe one more match is kinda good/fun (Randy Savage vs Crush). The rest is forgettable.

Perhaps the only PPV show the WWE ever put on where every match was really good was Canadian Stampede, July 1997. Otherwise every PPV is always going to be a one or two match show with the rest being generic, filler, passable, or crap. Or worse, all matches will be one of the latter ones.

It's possible Wrestlemania X-7 is the best 'big show' (no, not that one) in terms of overall quality and fun matches, and even that has nonsense like Chyna vs Ivory and the April Fools Gimmick Battle Royal.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

WM-30 will always be my favorite because it was Daniel Bryan's Wrestlemania plus it was the first on the WWE Network which at the time seemed awesome. All that content. Everyone was watching NXT and old WCCW matches and they had original stuff. Then they flushed it all down the toilet. It's all a bunch of poo poo.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

In retrospect I also liked Chyna before her multiple surgeries so :gay:

I mean, cis hetero dude here and same.

Mine was Royal Rumble 91. Looking at it now, it really is a good starter show. Especially the Rumble itself, which is one of the most average Rumbles ever. It luckily has a solid midcard carrying it because it only has four top guys in it:

- Hogan, there to win it.

- Undertaker, who is so new and protected that he needs to be eliminated before he can share the ring with Hogan.

- Randy Savage, who no-shows due to story reasons.

- Earthquake, who has all but lost credibility as a main eventer and is only there for Hogan's final elimination.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Mine was Wrestlemania VII where I really wanted Macho Man to win because I hated the Ultimate Warrior, and I fell asleep during the main event.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Wrestlemania 13 was my first PPV. I remember none of it except of course Bret/Stone Cold. And Undertaker winning the title off Sid

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

bradzilla posted:

Wrestlemania 13 was my first PPV. I remember none of it except of course Bret/Stone Cold. And Undertaker winning the title off Sid

It had Ahmed Johnson wearing spiked shoulder pads!

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Hollismason posted:

For many people watching wrestling as a youth led to a sexual awakening.

In the comments for every jobber squash, there are horny comments. I can't find it right now, but there's a whole article about the squash match fetishists.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Maigius posted:

In the comments for every jobber squash, there are horny comments. I can't find it right now, but there's a whole article about the squash match fetishists.

Imagine the person who first experienced arousal watching the Mulkeys get the absolute poo poo kicked out of them

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I'm convinced that one of the many reasons I'm into goth girls is because of Scary Sherri

Elvira is probably the main reason but Sherri was around at the same time

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

AlmightyBob posted:

Vince basically made GWB a wrestler and the biggest thing under the tent before CenaBrock came in

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Several years ago I got the WWE Wrestlemania collection on DVD. I think it was every Mania up to 25. It's an intersesting cultural artifact in of itself. For instance, people remember Macho Man and Steamboat and the spectacle of Andre vs. Hulkamania in 3, but it's amazing how absolutely horrible the matches are in Wrestlemania 3 - it's boring as poo poo. The back to back Manias in Atlantic city are boring dogshit. Most the early Wrestlemanias are terrible. In fact, most Wrestlemanias are bad. Wrestlemania 2 is the worst.

WM1: Basically just a house show with a bunch of celebrities thrown in there. It's important, but nothing special.

WM2: One of the worst PPVs in company history. The three city gimmick was dumb and most of the matches were dogshit.

WM3: I think it's a solid show overall. Even the bad stuff is short and there's a good sense of variety to it. It's nothing mindblowing, but it's the first WrestleMania to feel like WrestleMania. Also, ring carts!

WM4: Cool idea, but an absolute slog to sit through. When you have a one-night tournament plus other matches, maybe don't dedicate one of those matches to a time limit draw for the sake of a double elimination. Still has a couple bright spots.

WM5: A nothing show saved by Hogan's most memorable storyline being the main event, predictable as it is.

WM6: Another nothing show that gets by on the awesome Hogan/Warrior main event as well as Roberts/Dibiase on the undercard. More ring carts!

WM7: Genuinely good show if you cut out an hour of unnecessary and brief matches. Vince really wanted to give everyone a spot on the show, even if that meant a one-minute Tito Santana vs. Mountie match. Hogan vs. Slaughter was absolutely dire.

WM8: Garbage show with two great matches (Bret/Piper and Savage/Flair) and a fun eight-man tag. When it's bad, it's really bad.

WM9: Considered the poster boy for bad WrestleManias, but it's still better than WM2. The one-two punch of a Giant Gonzalez match and Hogan's sudden title win make it infamous, but it's not all bad and the setup is memorable.

WM10: Overall good show, mainly hurt by Luger vs. Yokozuna. In fact, both world title matches are pretty bad due to their dumb endings. I was at this show, so I'm biased.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Gavok posted:

WM10: Overall good show, mainly hurt by Luger vs. Yokozuna. In fact, both world title matches are pretty bad due to their dumb endings. I was at this show, so I'm biased.

Yokozuna is so cooked in that match I was feeling bad for him when I rewatched it a few months ago. Barely able to move

WM9 was real bad too for a lot of the same reasons. Doubling down on Yokozuna only to slide Bret Hart the title anyway was a bad move like most of the times they put the belt on Bret. They only ever seemed to like having Hart as champ as a backup when their main push fails (Yokozuna, Yokozuna again, Diesel..)

But the Owen-Bret feud was something wonderful so it set up the audience for something great later

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 19, 2024

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
HULK HOGAN

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The only WWE PPV we ever paid for was Summerslam 90 or 91. I think? It was Undertaker's debut match where he destroyed Hogan so Hulk could go make some lovely movie. I was such a mark and a Hulkamaniac that I thought that poo poo was real and stopped watching halfway through the match. My mom never bothered to buy me another PPV after that, and I stopped watching a few years later when Hulk left for WCW.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I hope no one's first ppv was the one where Owen fell

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Bad Video Games posted:

The only WWE PPV we ever paid for was Summerslam 90 or 91. I think? It was Undertaker's debut match where he destroyed Hogan so Hulk could go make some lovely movie. I was such a mark and a Hulkamaniac that I thought that poo poo was real and stopped watching halfway through the match. My mom never bothered to buy me another PPV after that, and I stopped watching a few years later when Hulk left for WCW.

it was real

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=565qnfe0qTE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLt1tJSJu7w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iJ69uKDKzA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUeWOiC71jg

wwe loved doing the awful hot topic parody matches on raw for awhile there

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
We never bought a PPV but my one friend and I used to endlessly rent all the WWF PPV tapes they had at our local video store. I don't remember what they had exactly but it was definitely several early WrestleManias and Royal Rumbles, up through the early or mid 1990s and definitely all before the attitude era. The only PPV I saw live was the King Mabel KotR because I was fuckin there at the Spectrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

We never bought a PPV but my one friend and I used to endlessly rent all the WWF PPV tapes they had at our local video store. I don't remember what they had exactly but it was definitely several early WrestleManias and Royal Rumbles, up through the early or mid 1990s and definitely all before the attitude era. The only PPV I saw live was the King Mabel KotR because I was fuckin there at the Spectrum.

You poor bastard.

I lucked out. The only WWE PPV I got to be there for live was Wrestlemania X-8. And I was such an up my own butt smark that I basically spent half of the Hogan/Rock match looking around going "WHAT ARE YOU IDIOTS DOING? THIS MAN KILLED A COMPANY! STOP IT!" (Privately)

Also never forget that to get Edge the hometown boy on the show, he had a feud with Booker T over who got to be in a fake shampoo commercial.