Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Happy Hippo posted:

It's rumored that PTA dislikes 4k as a format and if that's true then he is probably perfectly happy with the current one :(

Punch-Drunk Love is in the just-released Columbia Classics Vol. 4. According to the liner notes, Anderson had Sony remaster from the interpositive instead of the camera negative to preserve the look of the film properly. From the caps I've seen, it looks fantastic.

One reason to use the interpositive is that all the color timing is "baked in" while going back to the negative means doing the color from scratch. And an interpositive is also going to have the film grain characteristics closer to an actual print. Nolan does the same thing for the 4K masters of his films, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

RichterIX posted:

I haven't seen the new disc myself but I will say I have semi-frequently disagreed with that particular reviewer. My copy is supposed to come tomorrow but I don't have a discerning enough eye to feel like I could really review the PQ myself in any meaningful way. I'm not sure what source he is referencing to know what the "correct" grading is.

Dr. Sviet! The man who occasionally puts right wing rants into his reviews (read the Walker one of you want a great example of missing the loving point). The man who thought that the muffled audio on the Story of the Chrysanthemum was better than the British disc’s restored audio. The man who will claim a film doesn’t look right but offers no source but goes along on feeling alone.

I also generally distrust people who use Dr. when it isn’t relevant to their work. Like, you have a doctorate in the bassoon dude. Not film. It comes across very pretentious and is lying to the audience, since it implies a level of expertise you don’t have.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That guy sounds like a dick but if I had a doctorate in bassoon I would bring that up in literally every conversation for the rest of my life.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Cemetry Gator posted:

The man who will claim a film doesn’t look right but offers no source but goes along on feeling alone.

This is what weirded me out about the review, it's not like there are tons of alternate transfers available for these movies and I highly doubt he's that familiar with them since he seems to also hate the movies themselves.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Gripweed posted:

That guy sounds like a dick but if I had a doctorate in bassoon I would bring that up in literally every conversation for the rest of my life.

He doesn’t talk about the bassoon at all. If he was like “as a doctor of bassoon, I find this movie terrible” that would be something.

In a professional context, I think calling yourself doctor when it is irrelevant to your work, especially when it’s a byline, is really dishonest. Like, sure, in a formal setting, it’s fine to use. If he had a page introducing himself, it would be fine to use. But when you see a blu-ray review on the Heroic Trio by Dr. Sviet, it implies he has a knowledge and expertise in film or filmmaking that he doesn’t have and it’s done to give him more credibility.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

Dr. Sviet! The man who occasionally puts right wing rants into his reviews (read the Walker one of you want a great example of missing the loving point).

I just watched this twice this week, for the first time. Definitely reading this madness right now!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/adamrackoff/status/1759305165117485106?s=46

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

hosed up that it's in a bigass box set with unrelated movies 'cause this on its own would be the perfect mom gift. All moms love Starman.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

hosed up that it's in a bigass box set with unrelated movies 'cause this on its own would be the perfect mom gift. All moms love Starman.

I'd honestly be surprised to not see Shout Factory do the standalone before the end of the year, though likely without the TV show.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’m sure it’ll come out on its own but it could be a while. There was a bit of a wait between the boxset and Lawrence of Arabia coming out on its own.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I’m sure it’ll come out on its own but it could be a while. There was a bit of a wait between the boxset and Lawrence of Arabia coming out on its own.

Dr. Strangelove came out almost immediately after and The Last Picture Show got a Criterion 4K about a year after. Starman seems like it'll be quicker because it's the 40th anniversary and Shout has been releasing a lot of Sony UHDs lately.

Also, it's the 100th anniversary of Columbia, so they might be speeding up the standalones of the past sets. Though, I think only Volume 1 is actually out of print.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Starman is a good movie, and no, I’m not a mom <:mad:>

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
crossposting from genchat since i know yall physical collectors will appreciate it:

kaworu posted:

If anyone is still interested, here’s some pictures of the “Kinonik Studio” where my dad stores and works on the reels, and where he also does screenings every Wednesday night it seems. I was just talking to him about it - they used to do them at this dilapidated old theater in downtown Portland called “The Movies”, and then they were screening at a local art gallery called “Space” for a while, but that apparently wasn’t too functional. Now they screen here, and it sounds like it’s a pretty fun place to watch a movie with 30-40 folks in there together.

But anyway, here is the place and how it looks! The two girls in the panorama are apparently interns who just began there today, according to my dad. I’m actually a little envious, apparently one of them wanted to just live there full-time and sleep on the couch. I would too!

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Starman is a good movie, and no, I’m not a mom <:mad:>

:hai:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/bradfhenderson/status/1759469728576282767?s=46
It’s not the one I want but I’ll buy it!

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...
Pee Wee's Big Adventure is one of my all time favorites and I just realized I've never seen this one. I should buy it to convince them to release Big Adventure.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’m surprised we’re getting Big Top before Big Adventure but it’s Big Adventure’s 40th anniversary next year so maybe WB can stop being a bunch of stupid shits and finally get us a 4K release

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE

Casimir Radon posted:

And even when it came out on its own, it was only as a limited edition steelbook and it's been OOP since then. I didn't get it when it released assuming they would eventually release a regular 4K and it just never came. Just baffling, it was always in print on DVD and Blu-ray so it doesn't make sense why they've kept it so scarce on 4K.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm still mad I missed the Lawrence 4k because I expected a regular 4k to release at some point.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Didn't realize that Lawrence steelbook was out of print.

Yet again it's an opportunity for me to probably make some cash from selling an in-demand disc but....what will I do when that time of year rolls around and I want to watch Lawrence in glorious 4k?

Seriously though, you should see me when I take that disc out of the case, it's like I'm handling the demon core of the A-bomb. God forbid it gets scratched.

micpp
Jul 21, 2007
One shall stand, one shall fall
If people are still after that Lawrence of Arabia steelbook, it is getting a long-delayed release in Australia that you may be able to import. https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/lawrence-of-arabia-steelbook-1961-4k-ultra-hd

I'd imagine the discs will be identical to those released everywhere else, so should be no issues with regions or anything.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
The Steelbook was $30 on Amazon all weekend. Sold out now. But I believe they are still printing it, just need to grab one when they appear. Look into the Keepa Chrome extension/app and set a price alert for it on Amazon.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

We need more Omar Sharif in 4k! Where’s Dr. Zhivago?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Darkman 4k arrived today. Can't wait to rewatch that.

Also my MVD Joysticks came in. The alternate cover is pretty cool, made to look like an Atari cart.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
drat this Conan set is hefty, I could do curls with this thing.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1759984497460744434?s=46

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1760016790195716146?s=46

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

holy toledo!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I assume this covers Disney and Fox? This feels like good news.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What does this mean for the TRON Legacy 4K :ohdear:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I'm still assembling a team to steal every film in the vault

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Put Ravenous on Region B blu and 4K, you cowards

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

They're also ending the Disney Movie Club. Not sure if this is also going to kill Disney Movie Rewards or not, but I would assume so. :(

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/jaybauman1/status/1760030455607259440?s=46
lol that’s pretty good

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/scream_factory/status/1759975699832557740?s=46
Alright dorks, get ready.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
MY HANDS

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Kvantum posted:

They're also ending the Disney Movie Club. Not sure if this is also going to kill Disney Movie Rewards or not, but I would assume so. :(

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

-Spock, from something Disney doesn't own

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

:neckbeard:
Another long-awaited epic on UHD that I’ll watch once and then feel bad about not rewatching

Is there going to be a non-limited edition though?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I bought New York Ninja 2 years ago and now I’m finally going to watch it. We’ll see how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

What's funny is that Home Theater Forum just voted Disney as the worst home video studio over their lack of releases and cash grab repackaging of old discs.

Some industry insiders online seem to be seeing this as a positive thing, so it'll be interesting to see if this works out like when Fox was distributing MGM's stuff and working with practically all the boutiques to get titles released.