Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Gonz posted:

Doesn't becoming a pro automatically void any future NCAA eligibility?

Just wait another year for Tennessee to dissolve the NCAA then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

mcmagic posted:

I'm sure Raheem Morris is a better coach than Bill Belichick. It's a slam dunk.

Raheem definitely brought in a better supporting cast than that grumpy old bitch could ever put together.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Just wait another year for Tennessee to dissolve the NCAA then.

Tom Brady winning another ring at Michigan would be rad as gently caress, but Bill doesn't have the patience or the temperment for dealing with college kids. Bill will disappear into the aether before he coaches college.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mcmagic posted:

The fact that you can be so sure that a guy who won the super bowl 6 times has lost it and forgot how to coach is remarkable.

He’s still a very good defensive coach but who loving cares if you’ve got to deal with his drafting and the cast of losers who brings with him to run the offense.

He’s 72, he’s not learning any new tricks, what you saw for the last four years is what you’re gonna get. If a team already has a QB and some offensive talent and wants to win now that might be enough but the Falcons aren’t that team.

There’s a reason nobody in wanted to hire him this year and it’s not because everyone is dumber than you.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The residue of my 49ers homer YouTube feed is trying to tell me that Belichick has been hired as the 49ers DC.

:lmao:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He’s still a very good defensive coach but who loving cares if you’ve got to deal with his drafting and the cast of losers who brings with him to run the offense.

He’s 72, he’s not learning any new tricks, what you saw for the last four years is what you’re gonna get. If a team already has a QB and some offensive talent and wants to win now that might be enough but the Falcons aren’t that team.

There’s a reason nobody in wanted to hire him this year and it’s not because everyone is dumber than you.

It's not his coaching, its everything else. Can you imagine if you were trying to saddle bill with some guy as his OC who you see as an heir apparent. First time they disagree about the development potential of a 5th round WR or something you're going to have to have someone step in and referee. Its a no win situation and any team in that position with the guys in place probably aren't chasing a HC.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

The Jets are basically if an entire franchise and fanbase peaked in high school

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Maybe Carroll wasn’t interviewed because he still has a job. The only person who even reporting that he was looking for another head coaching job this year was Florio, so the whole Pete Carroll is being blackballed because he’s old thing seems like a whole cloth invention by a notorious idiot.

A “job” in the sense he’s getting paid for a ceremonial position. His press conference made it pretty clear he still wanted to be a head coach, it’s not something invented by florio (well maybe the ageism aspect)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

BlindSite posted:

It's not his coaching, its everything else.

How dense do people have to be to not get this lol

If you hire him as coach, you'll be hiring him as de facto GM, too, and he's been like a bottom 5 GM for years. He's also in love with hiring a tiny staff of bitchmade yes men who failed in humiliating fashion the second he wasn't around to babysit them.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

mcmagic posted:

The fact that you can be so sure that a guy who won the super bowl 6 times has lost it and forgot how to coach is remarkable.

he's 72. people 5 years past retirement age lose it. I think he's probably still an above average coach, but he isn't Bill Prime, and it's unreasonable to expect him to be

not to mention at his age he'll give you 3 years at most. if your team's just a couple players and a good coach away, he'd be worth bringing in. the Falcons aren't that, none of the teams this cycle were

will Raheem Morris be better than 2004 or 2014 Bill Belichick? will he be better than 2024 Bill Belichick? will he be better than best-case-scenario 2024 Bill Belichick? the answers "no, almost certainly, maybe" feel like pretty safe bets

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

OOPs

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
https://x.com/schultz_report/status/1759594288831254664?s=46

Winfield is getting tagged.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Gonz posted:

Tom Brady winning another ring at Michigan would be rad as gently caress, but Bill doesn't have the patience or the temperment for dealing with college kids. Bill will disappear into the aether before he coaches college.

Can you imagine Bill making recruiting calls :lol:

“Hi, uh, *shuffles papers* Marshawn. It uh, says here you played some special teams in high school. What did you think of the Rams’ punt coverage against the Giants in 1973? Pretty wild stuff right?”

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Docjowles posted:

“Hi, uh, *shuffles papers* Marshawn. It uh, says here you played some special teams in high school. What did you think of the Rams’ punt coverage against the Giants in 1973? Pretty wild stuff right?”

"Alright, we're going to watch film together." *key 4 hours of Bill painstakingly breaking down one game of Steve Tasker*

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

evans gonna look weird in Carolina next season

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Docjowles posted:

I bet Bill would pull something like this

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1759606904215495081?t=gvFVOH83DnwqvLR4aLSW4w&s=19

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Gonz posted:

Doesn't becoming a pro automatically void any future NCAA eligibility?

it does not, beloved retired nba hooper jr smith is currently an ncaa golfer

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

it does not, beloved retired nba hooper jr smith is currently an ncaa golfer

He never actually went to college though.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

FizFashizzle posted:

He never actually went to college though.

yes but the question was if playing professional sports would automatically destroy your eligibility

you have five* years to use up your ncaa eligibility in your sport but that doesn't extend to other ncaa sports; it doesn't even extend to sports you haven't played at the ncaa level in (many european basketball players will play u18 pro ball in europe and then enroll in college here)

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Baker had this too, they could've pushed dead money down the road by signing them early but that wasn't really ever going to happen. Both Evans and the team want to see his market and they'll go from there. The Bucs have these dates in a couple weeks with David and Winfield. It doesn't really mean anything other than they'll have dead cap space this year instead of in 25 and 26 and they're trying to clean up the cap mess from Brady's time.

I do think Winfield gets tagged too.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Pontius Pilate posted:

A “job” in the sense he’s getting paid for a ceremonial position. His press conference made it pretty clear he still wanted to be a head coach, it’s not something invented by florio (well maybe the ageism aspect)

His press conference made it clear that he still wanted to be the head coach of the Seahawks. He never expressed public interest in another job, nobody other than Florio ever reported even private interest in another job, his agent didn’t leak to Rapoport or Schefter that he was interested in other jobs….

If he wanted another head coaching job he sure was subtle about it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/Jason_OTC/status/1759646034597142589?t=LepgrcaTPnx6Rfv82oa8HQ&s=19

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Thank you, Darnell Savage, for everything, but it's time we move on.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

YOLOsubmarine posted:

His press conference made it clear that he still wanted to be the head coach of the Seahawks. He never expressed public interest in another job, nobody other than Florio ever reported even private interest in another job, his agent didn’t leak to Rapoport or Schefter that he was interested in other jobs….

If he wanted another head coaching job he sure was subtle about it.

yeah I think if he actually wanted to be a head coach for another team he would have made that obvious, either directly or through an anonymous source

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

the Ravens not retaining Kevin Zeitler sucks rear end

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://x.com/jonas_shaffer/status/1759685923946578080?s=20

Am I reading this right, only one player in the league got extended?

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

sharknado slashfic posted:

https://x.com/jonas_shaffer/status/1759685923946578080?s=20

Am I reading this right, only one player in the league got extended?

Of the players that had a void clause that would end their contract, yes. Some contracts have fake extra years added that would automatically void in order to spread out the cap hit. Someone posted the list of players on twitter, it was like 2 dozen players or something like that.

edit: posted recently in this very thread

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Bills will def miss Micah Hyde and DaQuan Jones. I wouldn't want to bring Hyde back unless it was cheap (we're too cash-strapped ATM to be spending much on safety), but Jones is a big loss, as he was one of like 4 D-linemen on the team that actually did something aside from exist and was by far our best interior run defender. Both are pretty old and increasingly injury risks, but if you're a team looking to compete and have some cash, they would both potentially be good gets.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Rogue Elephant posted:

Of the players that had a void clause that would end their contract, yes. Some contracts have fake extra years added that would automatically void in order to spread out the cap hit. Someone posted the list of players on twitter, it was like 2 dozen players or something like that.

edit: posted recently in this very thread

Oh I see, I was reading too much into it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I’m glad my man Snags got his extension. keep doing your thing playboy

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Agholor unironically ruled this season

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It doesn't rule out the players getting extensions later, but since extensions would just put off the cap hits, some teams probably would rather take the hits now.

Titans have a ton of cap space this year, and they'll still probably want to keep Al-Shaair and possibly SMB and maybe even Henry if he doesn't find a suitable team in FA.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Mystic Stylez posted:

Agholor unironically ruled this season

he was about as productive as OBJ this year, that's good enough for vet minimum at least

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I wonder what the sentiment would be on Agholor if he went later in the draft. Cause he’s not terrible. He’s good situationally and as depth, and had that one weird Actually Good year for the Raiders where he was “WR1” but second fiddle to Darren Waller. But that’s not really how you want your mid first round pick described.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Relatively fondly remembered by fans of teams that didn't spend a 1st round pick on them. Guys like Cordarrelle Patterson, Dante Fowler, Danny Shelton, Leonard Fournette....

Like man, as a Jags fan how annoyed must you be about all that Playoff Lenny stuff?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kalli posted:

Like man, as a Jags fan how annoyed must you be about all that Playoff Lenny stuff?
He had his moments as a Jag (like the "come at me bro" vs the Steelers) in 2017 but he wore out his welcome with a lovely attitude and seemingly poor work ethic when things werent going well after 2017 so I was a little annoyed but overall pretty whatever about it. I had never wanted the team to draft him in the first place (because gently caress drafting a RB that high and because the team thought it was going to be like Dallas the year before where the Zeke pick helped them take the next step) so I was pretty whatever about it. At the time I had some "gently caress Lenny" to say but now its just kinda whatever because the team just feels cursed and hindsight showed us that Coughlin was a Mercedes Benz Stadium size rear end in a top hat in his second tenure and the team went out of its way to try to trash him so the gently caress Lenny attitude was, in hindsight, misplaced.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Is he even playing anymore? Haven't heard a peep about him since his run with the Bucs.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Is he even playing anymore? Haven't heard a peep about him since his run with the Bucs.

He signed with the Bills for a couple games at the tail end of the season for a total of 12 touches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Docjowles posted:

He signed with the Bills for a couple games at the tail end of the season for a total of 12 touches

Better very little recent film than none.

As a long-time 49er fan I've learned the difference between "gently caress that guy" and "gently caress these coaches".