Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah I've had an Amazon echo for years and it's been pretty nice (definitely use it for a kitchen timer a lot) but it's been getting shittier and shittier.

I swear that it used to work on my network to control things like my thermostat just fine without an internet connection, but then last night there was an outage here an I suddenly couldn't turn off my lights or anything.

I had to PHYSICALLY go over to my light, somehow find the socket it's plugged into, and BEND OVER and click the button on the outlet plug. I had to WALK to my thermostat and turn it down. loving insanity.

Seriously though it was annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

:sweatdrop: I was on Awful app when I posted that. I didn't see that the quote preview thing was implemented here.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Taeke posted:

Why aren't you using the app? It works great

The Awful App hasn't changed a bit.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

Who would win:

Literally 100+ years of industry know-how on rustproofing and protecting steel car bodies

Assuming stainless steel won't rust because it's stainless, right? :haw:

I spilled some hydrofluoric acid on my workbench a few years ago and didn’t clean it up properly

let’s just say that many of my stainless tools did indeed stain. And by that I mean literally rotted away within a few weeks

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
ph scale except for wokeness

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

thathonkey posted:

ph scale except for wokeness

based

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

How low can you go?

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Car Hater posted:

Google assistant on Android no longer lets me use the assistant button to do voice commands without going "Hey Google"

Now it just searches for whatever you say, so for example "set an alarm for 1 hour" gets me YouTube videos that run for exactly an hour

It's dumb

It usually googles "hey Google" when I try this now

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The car handsfree assistant will also no longer function if you disabled the phone "hey Google" AI garbage.

They gone and killed android auto, I'm better off using the builtin for the car.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
It's me, the person who can't stand things like the Amazon Echo bc the thought of an always listening device hearing me have sex and the other various intimate life moments upsets me. And they absolutely do hear it, they need to sort all the noises Alexa hears so they can control how it responds and they do that by keeping watch of what Alexa hears vs what it responds to. No, there isn't some guy on the other end listening to every single one of our sex noises, it's a lot of bots hearing it and sorting it, but they still store these sounds in a database and yes real humans do need to audit it and listen to the sounds to judge if the bot is catching them right. There's a department at Amazon that does this.

So Amazon just has a sound library of their customers various bodily noises they used to train their AI :psyduck: that's some weird corpo horror poo poo to me

I can't decide if I'm the fool bc really, who actually cares about that in 2024 when we're trading on our privacy for access to things every day, or if everyone else is the fool for making that trade so they don't have to get up to turn out their lights. I think it's both.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 18, 2024

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Just lol if you don't think there's a guy at Amazon furiously jerking off to alexa recordings.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Biplane posted:

Just lol if you don't think there's a guy at Amazon furiously jerking off to alexa recordings.

it's bezos

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I had a couple of Echo dots for my mum, for when she was going blind and her tremor wouldn't let her type easily. They were great. She could just shout at them and they'd play music or whatever, or if she wanted to google a fact, there it was.

I unpluged them the moment she died and wouldn't have another in the house. It's not just you.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 18, 2024

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

StrangersInTheNight posted:

It's me, the person who can't stand things like the Amazon Echo bc the thought of an always listening device hearing me...

I also don't have anything like that in my house, and generally have zero 'smart' devices. Part of it is definitely privacy, but the bigger question for these devices is this: "What do you actually do here?"

I have never in my life seen anyone ever use a Smart Home Assistant for anything other then a party trick. The most (and only) useful function I've ever seen performed by these things is to set a kitchen timer and I have that on my phone in spades, and a wind-up kitchen device is just better. These things aren't useful unless your ability to use a computer is approaching zero.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I also don't have anything like that in my house, and generally have zero 'smart' devices. Part of it is definitely privacy, but the bigger question for these devices is this: "What do you actually do here?"

I have never in my life seen anyone ever use a Smart Home Assistant for anything other then a party trick. The most (and only) useful function I've ever seen performed by these things is to set a kitchen timer and I have that on my phone in spades, and a wind-up kitchen device is just better. These things aren't useful unless your ability to use a computer is approaching zero.

It must suck being unable to turn on the lights.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 18, 2024

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Duck and Cover posted:

It must suuck being unable to turn on the lights.

We do have hue bulbs everywhere, and when I want Hue-like control over them, I wrote my own app to do this, this is largely just to control stuff when I'm sitting at my computer. The resolution of control on a smart assistant *sucks*.

If I don't want to specify exact color temperature or brightness, I have this newfangled technology called 'Light Switch'. I kinda owns. It doesn't listen to me talking, it works 100% of the time without question, and it doesn't try to sell me bullshit.

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023
You want homeassistant. Lets you have exactly the desired amount of control.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I recently tried to read an article on the Daily Beast website on a laptop in Chrome with no adblockers, and when I scrolled down the page using the arrow key a big video widow opened up and autoplayed an ad, no skip, no nothing. When it stopped, there was no way to close the window and go back to the article. I just had to close the whole thing and say welp, I guess I'm not reading that article. What the gently caress is wrong with these sites?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I hate when sites have a static menu bar that literally takes up 1/3th of my screen. I have no idea who the gently caress started doing that but jesus christ I can't do it.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I hate when sites have a static menu bar that literally takes up 1/3th of my screen. I have no idea who the gently caress started doing that but jesus christ I can't do it.

Ublock origin makes short work of those with the element picker tool.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

rafikki posted:

:aaa:

I gotta try that.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Lots of sites have gotten lovely if you have things too narrow because 98.4% of people just browse poo poo on phones an ipads and that's the responsive mobile design.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

DemihumanResources posted:

Lots of sites have gotten lovely if you have things too narrow because 98.4% of people just browse poo poo on phones an ipads and that's the responsive mobile design.

Yeah, I hate browsing on my phone. I'm glad they're making sites harder to view on a PC. :mad:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

rafikki posted:

This bookmarklet will also do it when you click it:

code:
j***script:(function%20()%20%7B%20var%20i,%20elements%20=%20document.querySelectorAll('body%20*');%20%20for%20(i%20=%200;%20i%20%3C%20elements.length;%20i++)%20%7B%20if%20(%5B%22sticky%22,%20%22fixed%22%5D.includes(getComputedStyle(elements%5Bi%5D).position))%20%7B%20elements%5Bi%5D.parentNode.removeChild(elements%5Bi%5D);%20%7D%20%7D%20%7D)();
Here's another thing - cloudflare doesn't let you type j***script cause they went woke so you have to type that part in

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already
AI has now ruined my marriage. My wife has apparently developed a chatbot that responds as a cat would and is now communicating what the cats are thinking to me via this model.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

AI has now ruined my marriage. My wife has apparently developed a chatbot that responds as a cat would and is now communicating what the cats are thinking to me via this model.

That sounds pretty awesome, not gonna lie

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Meeeeeooowww

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

What are you going to do meow?

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
The only proper way to respond in kind is to show her your butthole.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I think it’s hosed up anyone would be subjected to my sex noises but if they are earning a living then god bless em.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

It's the websites themselves more than the browser, nobody writes HTML anymore, they just deploy huge stacks of middleware and that's even before the ads

And there's a reason for that.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I still am not sure what a "YouTube Short" is, except that it's the same thing as a YouTube video except in mandatory awful aspect-ratio, the scrub bar taken away, and no volume control.

Anyway, it seems like there has been an improvement to this -- the scrub bar is back! But they still don't let you control the fuckin volume. You can either mute it or it's full blast. This is probably a small annoyance to most people, but... why the gently caress do they take things away?!! Why implement half the feature??!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

credburn posted:

I still am not sure what a "YouTube Short" is, except that it's the same thing as a YouTube video except in mandatory awful aspect-ratio, the scrub bar taken away, and no volume control.

Anyway, it seems like there has been an improvement to this -- the scrub bar is back! But they still don't let you control the fuckin volume. You can either mute it or it's full blast. This is probably a small annoyance to most people, but... why the gently caress do they take things away?!! Why implement half the feature??!

They're trying to copy TikTok but they are doing a bad job. TikTok is fast and it has interesting content. Shorts is slow and glitchy and there's nothing.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
it forces you to make it a short too if it's in vertical aspect. i uploaded some dumb meme a while back that was like 4 minutes long but it was vertical so it had to be a short.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

credburn posted:

The scrub bar goes away and comes back all the time. No idea what drives it. One day it'll be there, the next gone.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Even if it had all of the features, it's pointless at best because it's not doing anything regular YouTube doesn't already do and it adds a fourth place I have to check channels for new content. I'm surprised they haven't gotten rid of subscriptions and channels completely to force us to engage with the algorithm more.

Funka
Jan 4, 2006
You can at least replace "shorts" in the url with "watch?v=", but yeah knock it off youtube.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

credburn posted:

If they let you control the volume then how would the rest of the subway car enjoy your video with you?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Internet Old One posted:

If they let you control the volume then how would the rest of the subway car enjoy your video with you?

I don't want to sound like too much of an old fogey, but I don't use TikTok and one of the reasons is listening to my coworkers watching stuff on it. It's always horrible loud jangling something that abruptly cuts off to another horribly loud jangling something and on and on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol just LOL at the concept of health care on Amazon Prime.