Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

amigolupus posted:

I really like Take It With the Tinkersons. It's got a good sense of timing to when to switch up the jokes that poo poo never gets old. And the drama whenever the dad's company gets a new sales director is just :perfect:

It's really good and well written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (January 30, 1936)

Peanuts (February 21, 1977)

Crankshaft

It's got to be a bad sign when the punchline of the strip reads like the bulk of the conversations we've had about Ed over the past few years.

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (November 18-20, 1935)

The $10,000 bill was an actual denomination for large transactions up through 1969. Carrying a fistful of them around in your roll seems to be asking for trouble, but so does toting around a brick of hundreds, and people do that too. So there you are.

Thimble Theater (September 23, 1940)

Out Our Way (January 13-15, 1944)

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Selachian posted:

Bonus Ad! The International Harvester Corporation takes out a nearly full-page ad to let you know how much they hate their workers!

This attitude towards labor was a fatal flaw for IH. In the 70s the CEO awarded himself large bonuses while demanding huge concessions in contract negotiations. The resulting strike was so expensive that the place went belly-uo a few years later.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Goddammit, NO, you idiot! I don't care if he thinks he's okay, you don't just pick him up off the floor like that! There's still a possibility he could have a spinal injury, no matter how remote it might be.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(1/31/1994)

(2/1/1994)

Ziggy

(9/9/1971)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

Curtis

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I gotta assume that up in Maine, it'd have to snow something like 5 feet for schools to even think about closing.

Whereas down here in the South, there's a run on eggs, bread and milk if there's even an inch of snow.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Alley Oop's setting confuses the gently caress out of me.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Breadmaster posted:

I can't believe no one has said Ballard Street is their favorite! What has this thread come to?

Well the assignment was to mention strips that don't often get praise. Ballard Street is a thread favorite, and for good reason.

Powered Descent posted:

Challenge: everybody pick a comic that you're glad is being posted even though it doesn't get mentioned much! (We ALL have some low-key favorites.)

I'll go with Stephen Collins. Not being a :britain:, I sometimes don't know the exact events or people that the strip is referring to, but I get it often enough to know that I really like his style of humor.

There are several simple gag comics that don't usually warrant discussion but that are just consistently funny and well made. F Minus, Dark Side of the Horse, Andertoons of course. Junk Drawer is good too.

I love all of the old and non-US comics. Our Boarding House and Toonerville are particular favorites of mine. Everyday Movies, as everyone is saying, feels like a really good look at everyday life at the time. I like the Life Magazine posts for the same reason.

I like those Scandanavian comics that only get posted intermittantly, like the one with the women football players or the strip with the ugly babies.

The Lockhorns is usually pretty fun in spite of its incredibly dated premise.

Pickles is cute. Hagar is good.

The Girls is a kind of hate read of mine. It's just so weird to see a strip where the whole premise is "boy women sure are dumb!" when there were strips like Mopsy decades earlier. It just feels a bit hateful.

And for what it's worth, I'm also enjoying the Wandering Culinarian.

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 29, 1961)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

I'm certain we had this exact puzzle not very long ago.

Flash Gordon

I'm not sure why they need to sneak around to do this. You'd think checking the security cam footage would be the first thing Aura and Barin would have had done.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Just found out: Enrique Badía Romero, the main artist working on Modesty Blaise over the years (and whose art I really appreciated) died a few days ago. RIP.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I read Our Boarding House religiously. It's that rare combination of really really old but also understandable And not demolished by chicken scratch lettering and the ravages of time. Plus the characters are great.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The Wandering Culinarian

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Medenmath posted:

I like those Scandanavian comics that only get posted intermittantly, like the one with the women football players[...]
I feel like the next page or two of this is just going to be me going 'goddamnit, i forgot' but this one hits that reflex especially hard. I like it for similar reasons as footrot flats: it's focused on something I know nothing about and very frank about it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
This chapter intro for Wandering Culinarian is a lot better paced than the first already.

Powered Descent posted:

I'm not sure why they need to sneak around to do this. You'd think checking the security cam footage would be the first thing Aura and Barin would have had done.

Probably don't have permission. Alien world justice system.

There's a lot of subtle, sneaky world building going on that paint Mongo as not the best place to be, even pre-Ming. Like how Aura and Barin haven't checked on Flash since he went to jail, how Mongo's primary law system has a sci-fi hellworld space to extrajudicially forget people in, and quite frankly after that imposing Inquisitor got Flash locked up we've not seen them do any other investigating. Maybe they're doing it off camera, maybe not, but I get the feeling everybody would give Dale and the Professor a lot of poo poo for trying to help Flash. Hopefully everybody's just got a lot of misplaced optimism and the corruption isn't down to the bones of this planet.

On that note I want to call in advance that Bones story about "an old fashioned death squad came to town" is a tip off a future development. I mean it's a given Ming is alive but New Flash is so drat good it could mean anything in how we get there and what developments occur. I just think that's a big tip off to shenanigans, maybe even from Aura herself? Or whoever else on this planet is up to questionable things.

It's a really cool look at the point in a setting where we assume all the good guys casually forge a golden era after the villain is knocked off. I was tickled pink by the ancient evil bastard in charge of the prison that ripped up Flash's order.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 19, 2024

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'll say it: I like Luann being posted. Everyone in it is an idiot and the Evanses are not good at writing people, but it's fun to gawk at.

50% MORE ABSORBENT COMIX/THORN, February 28-March 1, 1984

I.....can't say I expected to see people snorting coke in Thorn.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Gnoman posted:

This attitude towards labor was a fatal flaw for IH. In the 70s the CEO awarded himself large bonuses while demanding huge concessions in contract negotiations. The resulting strike was so expensive that the place went belly-uo a few years later.

"The company's downward financial spiral continued. For fiscal year 1980, 1981, and 1982, International Harvester incurred a combined three-year loss of $2.4 billion—the largest such three-year loss for any American company in history at the time.[33] International Harvester sold its farm equipment division to Tenneco in 1985, and changed its name in 1986 to Navistar International.[6]

Speaking to a group at Harvard Business School six months after leaving Harvester, McCardell was asked his assessment of his performance; he said that despite some regrets, "I think I rate myself superb."[6] In 1986, McCardell told UPI, "I feel very good about my years at Harvester. We had a few good years. I don’t think we made any one major mistake. In retrospect, I think we could have done some things differently. None of us was smart enough – myself included – to realize the depth of the problem."[34] Discussing his remuneration, he said he thought, in retrospect, that he was "underpaid".[34] "

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

davidspackage posted:

Hell, do a stupid joke about a man's Google Glass or Apple VR Goggles being left in the living room,
This comic was from 2005, so Boyce referencing stuff that came out 8+ years in the future would raise entirely different concerns from usual.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Strontium posted:

Dark Side Of The Horse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmBwqRhGznI

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

It's a weird problem for them to have, but I'm intrigued by what it implies. Ming may be dead (?) but this is still his palace.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

I think I hate these family circuseseses the most (maybe aside from the "grandma sagely drops some loving Jesus poo poo on the kids" ones). It's like the world's lowest effort "what a comic drawn by a kid looks like" poo poo. At least loving colour outside the lines.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
As far as comics I feel like I can count on for something enjoyable every day, I'm gonna go with Arlo & Janis, Wallace, Phoebe and Her Unicorn, Out Our Way, Invisible Scarlet O'Neil, Pooch Cafe, and Andertoons. In the newer corner, getting a lot of deserved props, there's also Mexikid Stories and Vera Valiant. Thanks to everyone who posts those, and the posters of everything else making this such a rich thread.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'll admit that I enjoy hate-reading Retail and Dustin, for different reasons. Retail is a well-written strip that perfectly captures what it's like to be a retail wage slave. Dustin is a badly written strip (with good art, in fairness) that's about as Boomer as Boomer can get. I've also gained a massive appreciation for Arlo and Janis. It used to run in my hometown paper when I was a kid, but I was too young to 'get it' at that time.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Because I Care About Who Is Creeping On Who And Why

MR. ELECTRIC, HAVE HIM EXPELLED!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Doomykins posted:

This chapter intro for Wandering Culinarian is a lot better paced than the first already.

Probably don't have permission. Alien world justice system.

There's a lot of subtle, sneaky world building going on that paint Mongo as not the best place to be, even pre-Ming. Like how Aura and Barin haven't checked on Flash since he went to jail, how Mongo's primary law system has a sci-fi hellworld space to extrajudicially forget people in, and quite frankly after that imposing Inquisitor got Flash locked up we've not seen them do any other investigating. Maybe they're doing it off camera, maybe not, but I get the feeling everybody would give Dale and the Professor a lot of poo poo for trying to help Flash. Hopefully everybody's just got a lot of misplaced optimism and the corruption isn't down to the bones of this planet.

On that note I want to call in advance that Bones story about "an old fashioned death squad came to town" is a tip off a future development. I mean it's a given Ming is alive but New Flash is so drat good it could mean anything in how we get there and what developments occur. I just think that's a big tip off to shenanigans, maybe even from Aura herself? Or whoever else on this planet is up to questionable things.

It's a really cool look at the point in a setting where we assume all the good guys casually forge a golden era after the villain is knocked off. I was tickled pink by the ancient evil bastard in charge of the prison that ripped up Flash's order.
The fact that it seems like there wasn't a good justice system before Ming and that Ming even having a biased court system staffed by people he appointed so they're inclined to listen to his desires was considered an improvement is the thing that got me. Of course, this perspective was delivered by a character that acts as an impartial agent of justice but is shown to be quite partial indeed, but my suspicion is that the justice system on Mongo was already fairly corrupt, and Ming's personal corruptions just appealed to people with an authoritarian bent.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

they're not sure Aura and Barin can be trusted :ohdear:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Haifisch posted:

This comic was from 2005, so Boyce referencing stuff that came out 8+ years in the future would raise entirely different concerns from usual.

Of course, now I understand. Boyce is a time traveler trying to subtly warn us from the encroaching technology that will overwhelm us in his time! He simply got his history mixed up, bionic glasses didn't exist yet in 2005, we don't get them until 2029!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

Don't worry, Petey, all that crazy crap on the walls is permanently lacquered in place.

FoxTrot Classix

Amend really captured the Boys' essence here.

Rose is Rose

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
From the Breaking Cat News Instagram

Georgia Dunn posted:

Happy President’s Day! Recently I learned that Abraham Lincoln was over the moon for cats! Did you know? (I didn’t!) He’s even believed to be the first president to live with cats at the White House! 🎩🇺🇸

Lincoln loved cats so much that when Mary Todd was asked what her husband’s hobby was, she answered “cats.” He was gifted two lady cats from his Secretary of State, William Steward. Lincoln named them Tabby and Dixie and pampered them lovingly, even feeding Tabby at the table during a formal White House dinner! Legend has it that when Mary Todd suggested feeding his cat from the table at state dinners wasn’t the best idea, Lincoln replied, “If the gold fork was good enough for former President Buchanan, I think it is good enough for Tabby…” ❤️

Another story tells that Lincoln once remarked “Dixie is smarter than my whole cabinet! And furthermore she doesn’t talk back!” …Dixie sounds like Puck or Burt, lol!

Lincoln was known to sometimes take in stray cats or come to their aid. 🥹❤️ In the last days of the Civil War, as Lincoln visited General Grant on the battlefield, Colonel Porter wrote about the president taking in three motherless kittens he heard crying outside the tent. He wrote of Lincoln’s gentle kindness to the three kittens, sitting with them cradled in lap. A direct quote from his writings describes the scene with warm respect, “He would wipe their eyes tenderly with his handkerchief, stroke their smooth coats, and listen to them purring their gratitude to him. …at an army headquarters, upon the eve of a great military crisis in the nation’s history, to see the hand which had affixed the signature to the Emancipation Proclamation and had signed the commissions… from the general-in-chief to the lowest lieutenant, tenderly caressing three stray kittens.” [Abraham Lincoln: The War Years, Volume IV, p. 146.]

…Colonel Porter wrote that Lincoln quietly said to the orphaned trio, “Kitties, thank God you are cats, and can’t understand this terrible strife that is going on.” Where did that political quote go?? I’d love to hang that one on the wall!

Before he left the battlefield, President Lincoln told another colonel present, “I hope you will see that these poor little motherless waifs are given plenty of milk and treated kindly.”

I’ve been researching Lincoln and his cats for a few weeks, hoping to find any photographs, drawings, or even physical descriptions of Tabby and Dixie. While many Photoshops exist with cats edited into photos of Lincoln, I could find no credible images of the first feline ladies! I thought that surely there would at least be some illustrations or wood prints—nothing! And so, you may be looking at some of the only images of Tabby and Dixie. I guessed at their fur patterns, but imagined Tabby was likely a tabby-cat. I hope I’ve done them justice!

I hope you have a happy President’s Day! As you tend to your cats today, remember our gentle-eyed sixteenth president generously taking in three baby cats from the battlefield. The next time someone tells you not to feed your cats from the dinner table, just tell them you’re being presidential. And in hard times, tell your feline friends, “Kitties, thank God you are cats, and can’t understand this terrible strife that is going on…” ❤️🇺🇸

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Saoshyant posted:

Just found out: Enrique Badía Romero, the main artist working on Modesty Blaise over the years (and whose art I really appreciated) died a few days ago. RIP.

drat. His work on Modesty Blaise and AXA was good.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Kammat posted:

drat. His work on Modesty Blaise and AXA was good.

Never heard of AXA before. At a glance, looks kind of bootleg Conan/Red Sonja, but it was a newspaper strip in the UK? Could be interesting to run some of it here.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The whole thing was run in previous editions of the thread. It needed quite a few NSFW flags, she was not overly concerned with retaining her top.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Saoshyant posted:

Never heard of AXA before. At a glance, looks kind of bootleg Conan/Red Sonja, but it was a newspaper strip in the UK? Could be interesting to run some of it here.

Axa actually was posted in a prior iteration of this thread. Like you said it was sort of a Red Sonja style comic, but set in a post-apocalyptic world (ala Mad Max) and a lot more nudity than Modesty Blaise. I remember that it was the concenious in this thread that Axa should give up on the various men she meets in her travels and instead date the robot Mark-10.

Also, here's a NSWF "self-portrait" of Romero, with Axa and Modesty:

Edit: FB, posting anyway.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

goatface posted:

It needed quite a few NSFW flags, she was not overly concerned with retaining her top.

The_Other posted:

Also, here's a NSWF "self-portrait" of Romero, with Axa and Modesty:

Blegh. No, thanks.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Selachian posted:

Scarlet, I don't think anyone would blame you if you just let this guy die.

But that would demoralize our boys overseas and hurt the war effort!

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

I... don't really hate this? Say what you want about Bernice, but at least she isn't hanging all over him and trying to tell him goofy jokes or drag him on some adventure he clearly isn't interested in. Also, it's totally weird and creepy that the Evanses seem to be trying to make Luann and his cousin vie for his affections.

Does Piro have any kind of actual backstory that we know of? Or are we just supposed to take it at face value that he's had a troubled life because he's broody and wears all black and has a star shaved into his head (which I guess in Luann means he's a "tortured artiste")?

Bernice is the most toxic person in this strip and that's saying something. I don't remember all of Piro's backstory, but when he was introduced he was this mysterious couchsurfing hot dude who hung out in Bernice's dorm a lot when she was an RA. She did, in fact, obsessively stalk him a bit. Notably she used her power as an RA and her credentials as a first semester psych major and future therapist to look into his personal records and find out how often he goes to therapy. The frequency was high and her reaction was, "Ew."

She eventually (falsely) accused him of stealing a TV from the common room. I don't remember if that got him kicked out of the university, but he is here at the community college with Luann and the actual TV thief now.

Saoshyant posted:

RIP dude. You blessed us with cheesecake and beefcake alike, and for that I thank you.

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Never thought I'd use the phrase "Family Circus did it better," but here we are.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePFeq8NOTYo

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Julet Esqu posted:

Bernice is the most toxic person in this strip and that's saying something. I don't remember all of Piro's backstory, but when he was introduced he was this mysterious couchsurfing hot dude who hung out in Bernice's dorm a lot when she was an RA. She did, in fact, obsessively stalk him a bit. Notably she used her power as an RA and her credentials as a first semester psych major and future therapist to look into his personal records and find out how often he goes to therapy. The frequency was high and her reaction was, "Ew."

She eventually (falsely) accused him of stealing a TV from the common room. I don't remember if that got him kicked out of the university, but he is here at the community college with Luann and the actual TV thief now.

Luann

:stare:

Yeah, okay, I retract my previous statement.

*dril tweet about "you do not, in fact gotta hand it to them" goes here*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
That new GT album gonna be...well, not fire, no...

Hostile V posted:

Because I Care About Who Is Creeping On Who And Why

My thought is that much like the "summer camp, mouse boy is a dirty feed thief" story from last week, the next plot arc here is going to be something happens to one of the rabbits in the warren, Rudy is initially blamed, but then some Deus Ex is going to swoop in and reveal the hidden coyote, and the group will come to accept Rudy as one of their own.