Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The exploders are cool, especially with how you can mine out choke points but then exploders will eventually blow the walls to pieces and let a flood of enemies through. The downside is that exploders do so much damage that they outshine all the weapons and upgrades. I agree with this:

Doomykins posted:

Also the delicate balance between reloading faster, being able to empty your clip well by fire rate, boosting damage, boosting specific guns to unlock overclocks vs general upgrades, and getting things like higher max HP and move speed is pretty good for a generic stat boost level up approach. It seems plain but they clearly put a good bit of thought into things.

but being able to say "oh they clearly put a lot of thought into this" doesn't get past the "seems plain" part for me. I'm already getting tired of the gameplay itself and the unlocks that are left don't inspire me to keep going because it's just more of the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Gotta hope they get big content drops that add a dozen extra widgets per. The enemy roster alone is waiting to be buffed up and it already beats the genre standard.

But yeah it is plain.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I dislike how you have to spend a whole run without overclocks on a gun before unlocking them. It just feels bad to max out X or Y weapon and know you won't get the fun upgrades until you die and start over.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Yeah I had a quick scroll through the unlocks screen after I finished playing last night and I still have something like 15-20 runs to do where all I will be doing is unlocking overclocks for a weapon

Issakhar
Sep 10, 2009

DRG Survivor Gunner broke my brain, it's the delicious dopamine rush of running towards the swarm, shredding through every bug and wondering if I'll survive when it switches to reload.

Issakhar fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 16, 2024

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Some of the level 18 upgrades seem to be full transformations of the weapon. The thing in the video is the standard gun the scout class uses, that normally fires diagonally. I killed the boss before he even started his third jump.
https://i.imgur.com/wx7NQvU.mp4
Also the reload is just stupid.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

lagidnam posted:

Some of the level 18 upgrades seem to be full transformations of the weapon. The thing in the video is the standard gun the scout class uses, that normally fires diagonally. I killed the boss before he even started his third jump.

Rock.And.Stone.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Was gonna swing by and post my thoughts, but yeah I mostly agree with what Doomykins posted.

My two cents to toss on top along with the lagidnam is: the unstable overclocks are where some of the really nuts poo poo is. A few are just hella numbers, but others just vastly changed the function of the weapon and it's fantastic.

Def needs some polish and maybe some way to reroll artifacts, once you start unlocking a bunch of them you can get really screwed on just not hitting a good one, or one that doesn't really fit your build. The higher hazards are also pretty nuts, you really gotta start optimizing. Not sure how you're expected to do the 'take 2000 damage in a single run' unlock either yet.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

As was already mentioned, the problem with putting the actual interesting weapon upgrades on the unstable overclocks means you have to do a full run upgrading a weapon that will be boring for the entire run, then do another run upgrading the same weapon in the same boring ways to maybe get something interesting at the end. Or maybe you just wasted an hour

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I literally came back to post that I actually just got a Legendary weapon upgrade that just added an extra Beam to one of driller's weapon (sludge pump if you're curious)

So I guess they do exist???

edit: the weapon unlocks also continue to get more and more nuts. I'm both amused and glad that the Impact Axes are just as fun and satisfying as in DRG proper. :allears:

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 17, 2024

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Giving the Driller by far the worst weapon in the game as his starter on his default kit is certainly a choice the developers made. Ah well, finally cracked overclocks on it, perhaps subata will finally bloom.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

OK, super fire rate boosting and acid bullets overclock save the Subata. Good, Driller is my actual DRG main so he's gotta excel. Fast mining rules.

Evil Kit posted:

Not sure how you're expected to do the 'take 2000 damage in a single run' unlock either yet.

Just got it on a Driller run in Magma H2 where I got up to 475 HP. Got offered Legendary HP +75, Epic HP +45, took a Sandwich and amazingly only one Red Sugar artifact. Honestly? I played liked poo poo but kited my rear end off and stripped the map of every red sugar I saw. Red Sugar Collected: 36.

Thinking about it you need to take damage and heal constantly from stage 1, not actually die when things get tense in 2-4, then pull off 5 while probably being within 1 shot range for the Dreadnaught. You can use gold to heal between stages and cover gaps(red sugar won't be enough) if you get a boatload of max HP. I did all these things accidentally/coincidentally, it seems.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 17, 2024

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Nordic Ashes final realm is out of beta on live, this is the last major update before 1.0

Also if you're wondering if Nordic ever got past the pretty dull early game and turned into a screen destroying mess at any point, the answer is yes

I also can't get over how the general art and design in that game is like, just, fine, and then the music is

Some real Basil Poledouris Conan poo poo

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

lagidnam posted:

After a long play session today unlocking overclocks, I've found that for every unstable overclock like the one in this video there are 10 that are just plain numbers upgrades. Big numbers, but not exciting. For example the unstable overclock for the driller starting weapon makes it shoot two bullets instead of one. No change in firing pattern, just two bullets a few pixels apart

Still early access so hopefully this is something they focus on

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
it feels like they know how to make a functioning game but don't understand what made vampire survivors good

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The things that are unique to DRG survivors are good to great (I would have refunded it instead of trying to unlock everything otherwise) but the majority of unstable overclocks are disappointing and the fact that each one takes two runs to try out makes it feel worse when you get a boring one. At this point I'm just going to read a wiki and only unlock the ones that sound cool

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I could definitely see a big balance pass + reimagining of many overclocks. The LMG Turret is a free win once it hits 18 and you get +150% fire rate. The -accuracy doesn't actually exist, or it.. slows the tracking barely? Oh nooo kites giant bug through turret nest.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

+damage/fire rate/reload may as well read as +zzzzz to me, it's just fundamentally totally uninteresting and that's the majority of the unlocks right now

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
+1 to "the generic upgrades are boring, but the core game loop of mining and balancing risk/reward is very good" pile

I've cleared Hazard 2 on all three maps and might put it down to ferment for six months or so

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
“This gun feels underwhelming and kinda boring until you get X overclock that completely changes the use case and functionality” is at least entirely consistent with the source material.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tortolia posted:

“This gun feels underwhelming and kinda boring until you get X overclock that completely changes the use case and functionality” is at least entirely consistent with the source material.

very fair

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Uh, 15 hours of DRG survivors this weekend. I'm not sure if it's meds working or it's just that good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DRG survivors is real good and the mining stuff is great. Making you decide between permanent upgrade mats or run materials is a good choice.

The game does need some tweaks but it’s in a pretty drat good state right now imo

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I like that you're always running around trying to move stuff, and have to balance that with herding swarms and picking up xp. It adds another dimension most other survivor games don't have. I hope they end up adding all the biomes and a bunch more things to do, there's a lot in drg they can port over.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Halls of Torment new area and classes are out of beta

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2218750/view/7155726611389265918?l=english

both classes are cool, Landsknect has an arquebus and grenades because why not and the Sage lets you use any skill as your primary ability

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

It took me three DRG:S runs to figure out that, when you're doing the [Equip 4 Kinetic Weapons] type objectives, you can't overclock a weapon to another damage type like cold or electric, it overwrites it, not adds to it. Stuff like that really, REALLY needs to be conveyed better.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Idk was pretty straight forward to me. Anytime you do a +kinetic upgrade it doesnt have the weapon listed as anymore

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Some stray thoughts for DRG:S.

-Artifacts need a balance pass. Squint-Es are free damage on almost anyone, compare to the anemic benefits of things like Gold-Tipped Bullets. "Chance for X on mining" could be a passive in the meta-upgrades for how much it does, A LOT of artifacts rely on getting multiples on them to have an impact but the better you are at the game and the more you unlock the less likely it becomes. Maybe grabbing one of an item should spike the odds of it appearing again on future drop pods.

-I've warmed to the Driller's starting rear pea shooter, the Subata. You need to invest in it heavily to start but the synergy with shooting idiots that enter your tunnels is :discourse: Also the Driller is my best guy in this game too, another :discourse:

-I like the weapon design that really punishes you for messing around without a plan. I've gotten to the Dread quite a few times and found my DPS lacking, whether to get him down in a tidy fashion before I get clipped with a low max HP build or getting boxed in my waves of trash. "Invest 12 levels before you can use a weapon for real" may be questionable but I like the general risk/reward design everywhere in the game. I'm also surprised by how much value the weapon paint upgrades(+weapon levels faster) add.

-I want a post-stage 5 gold/nitra dump. Maybe it happens passively and you get more credits on a sucessful run and I can't tell but it's weird that you have a longer than usual exploration period on stage 5 to find loads of gold and nitra but it's useless unless your artifacts favor it.

-If they could get co-op working in this game it could steal the entire genre overnight. Likewise on getting DRG events working, the full enemy roster, etc. Never been happier for early access potential.

-I'm in love with the catch-up/safety mechanic of the boomers in each swarm. No matter how bad your build is going early on you can punch through stages 1-3 with smart dodging, get tons of XP like you killed the swarm and earn a fighting chance.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 19, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Doomykins posted:

-I want a post-stage 5 gold/nitra dump. Maybe it happens passively and you get more credits on a sucessful run and I can't tell but it's weird that you have a longer than usual exploration period on stage 5 to find loads of gold and nitra but it's useless unless your artifacts favor it.

Yeah I agree with this. Maybe I’m dumb but how are post run credits even calculated?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I assume you get some based on how far you got, kills, etc.

Oh also

-Bosco upgrade line, improved functionality, meta-upgrade path, etc. You can't make the gimmick SOLO Dwarf and not give me the full Bosco!

-... Cosmetics, naturally.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 19, 2024

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1968730/view/7951737850169338558?l=english

Bounty of One, an extremely mid VS clone announces... some weird gameplay playback platform integration???

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

edit: For the sake of making an actual post

Behold the next EVOLUTION of the bullet heaven game !

it's tem tem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuUVIBDONEA

Deakul fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 20, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This guy does some great VS videos and is now doing some DRG videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXT7q0S5YAU

He really seems to break things.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

quote:

We're extremely pressed for time because Scarlet Tower has been invited to launch on physical media for the Nintendo Switch in spring (US).

Version 1.0 is almost ready, as promised it will be a clean, optimized version without bugs. Some patches for fixes will be released if new bugs are found.

The art team is already working on a major update, version 1.1, which comes after the Nintendo Switch physical media release.

This version will bring new maps, weapons, heroic weapon fusion, and bosses with much more mechanics.

I will eat my hat if that turns out well

Annoying too, I actually genuinely like its feel and love the pixel art, but the systems design looks like a breakfast scramble cooked by a 6 year old

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah Scarlet Tower is very earnest but you can tell the devs are in over the heads when it comes to mechanics. I mean, at least they gave it a shot at creating something unique to their game, which is more than I can say about God of Weapons lol

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I guess this'll be their first game to actually hit v1.0, even if from the sound of this v1.1 is the True Launch unless they clarify even more for a v1.2 or some such.

Bizarrely, they might end up actually hitting some kind of nebulous goal line before Spellbook: Demonslayers after all~

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

victrix posted:

I will eat my hat if that turns out well

Annoying too, I actually genuinely like its feel and love the pixel art, but the systems design looks like a breakfast scramble cooked by a 6 year old

Oh my god how are they adding even more stupid systems?

They might as well just barf out a PoE skill sphere at this point.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I am looking forward to messing around with DRG Survivors, but I also had a pin in Geometry Survivors and am going to give that a try too. Steam algorithms must be confused as gently caress with me... I generally have the 'early access' tag set to ignore, but I have thrown so many threes and fives at these VS knockoffs over the year.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't think the turret overclock to mine nearby rocks would be useful. Turns out their bullets do it and they have excellent targeting priority. They will only shoot rocks if no enemies are within range and they target meaningful minerals.

Enemies -> Minerals -> Blank Rocks.

I had 400% fire rate(yes) on my turrets on Haz 4 Stage 5 and aside from just deleting enemies faster than they came I had a perfectly open stage for kiting the Dread, even as fast as he died. Seems the turret cheese could tackle Haz 5 if it was feasible to survive the first stage before they get online... :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2782530/Shrimpio/